Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

TM vs. Mindfulness

edited December 2010 in Meditation
I am hoping some of you with experience can shed some light on some questions I have. I've decided after decades of searching to become Buddhist and I'm most interested in following the Theravada path.

This has led me to start practising mindful meditation which I have already been doing on and off again for years. As I've researched meditation I've learned a few things like not all meditation is created equally. Also watching a Youtube video on brain plasticity I've seen the merits displayed of TM and brain wave patterns.

I'm interested in other people's experience and especially those that have tried both or people who have read up more on differences.

Things I'm wondering:

1.) Can anyone learn TM? They say it is easy yet require a 15 hour class and large sum of money. I've heard if not done right it doesn't produce the desired results. If TM isn't about concentrating on a mantra what exactly do you do to transcend then?

2.) For people who have tried both what effects did you notice and which meditation did you prefer long term? I'd appreciate anyone who has taken more time to study the science and can give their opinion too.

3.) I read one person who said that doing TM could be harmful to ever doing mindfulness. I'm guessing practice will build neural pathways and as you try to concentrate on being mindful your mind will revert to TM. Anyone know anything about this and would mindful meditation make TM harder later?

For now I'm going to continue to do mindfulness as I really want to work on applying the eight fold path to my life and it seems to make sense to me. I'm sure I'm over-thinking this but if I'm going to meditate one way or another for years that is a lot of time dedicated to something. I'd like to make sure I've chosen informed and wisely.

Comments

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Pema Chodron says mindfulness meditation is not about transending our experience, but rather to experience it fully to go deeper into our experience and see what it is.

I imagine if you practiced TM you would have habitual tendancy to try to escape your experience?? That sounds a little harsh perhaps :confused:
  • ShiftPlusOneShiftPlusOne Veteran
    edited December 2010
    TM is a patented and trademarked thing. If you're going to teach it, you have to comply with their terms and agreements, so you'll find that there's a set price for courses. The whole thing does have a lot of money involved and a lot of it is used on marketing.

I haven't tried it, so I am going to be biased, but I've gone through their websites and read all the papers they linked to (there are only like 7) and I have to say, it's not worth it.
  • edited December 2010
    Good point Jeffrey I have to agree.

Yes ShiftPlusOne TM to me feels a bit gimmicky and I became interested after seeing the video by Fred Travis. I just went back to find the video and now I realize he works for the Maharishi Univ and isn't an independent scientist as I originally thought. Also a scientific study I was looking at I now see is by the same guy.

I think with the amount of time mindfulness has been around I'm going to stick with it. Also I lost contact with a friend but, he actually took the course. He was very disillusioned and told me after the class the students compared mantras which was they weren't supposed to do. He was very upset that he had been told the mantra was personally written chosen for him when other students had the same one. Sadly I didn't know enough to get more info out of him about the actual practice.

Now that I realize TM was made by the Maharishi in the 1950s and doesn't come from old teaching I think I'll stick to mindfulness.
  • A few questions, thoughts

1)I've been doing mindfulness meditation and mehta bhavana( which I particularly love) for a months now.However, I use a tape by Bodhipaksa ( which I also love). What are your thoughts on using the guided meditation long term as opposed to not? Also, what is the recommended # of times one "should" meditate per day.

2)I still have a lot of chatter in my head & am wondering if there is a specific meditation to deal with that

3) About TM . I became interested just last month when I found out I have high blood pressure and that it really addresses anxiety.
    I went to an introductory lecture last Sunday and felt that the lecturer was saying that TM is the only meditation that ( & this was the metaphor) " dove beneath the waves instead of sitting on top" ( she drew a diagram of this).
    As I bristle at absolutes I found this , as well as the cost , offensive. I'm not sure I would spend the $ even if I had it.
    I've decided instead to try and get deeper into the meditations I've been doing so if anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

4) Is there any specific meditation that addresses BP?

thanks so very much
  • TM is meditation marketed as self-improvement and if you have the money, they'll teach you their method of meditation. Of course the sales and marketing is going to try to convince you it's special. But, it's nothing special. What you will find once you join is that there is always another special technique or class that you must have, for an additional fee of course.

Find someone around where you live that provides free or small donation meditation classes, instead. Any Buddhist group in the directory. Many UU churches have meditation classes. Save your money and don't go for the hype of the TM salesperson. Meditation as a stress and BP reliever doesn't require more than basic breath orientated meditation.
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    What's TM?
  • It's a specific movement that started in the 20th century I believe. And the acronym refers to Transcendental Meditation.
  • TM is the brainchild of some Guru in the 50s, who turned his mantra meditation technique into a business. He sold franchises to people trained and licensed to teach his patented meditation and raked in lots of money. It peaked in the 70s, I think, when the need to come up with ever more advanced classes to keep the current crop of customers paying money and coming back for more culminated in claims they could teach you to levitate and such. Also, by then there were many more options for people wanting to learn meditation as various Buddhist schools opened retreats and meditation centers, and those were much cheaper.

But they're still around, and still teaching their version of meditation.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    Bunks said:

What's TM?

Bullshit. :)
    sova
  • I've done TM and can confirm to you it is a very easy technique. You don't need to pay to learn TM. A lot of basic meditation articles offer the same thing (called it TM or not). TM helps relief stress and enhance your focus. But Vipassana gives you the insights you need to attain.

Sekha - stuvongautama@yahoo.com
  • Wuji said:

I am hoping some of you with experience can shed some light on some questions I have. I've decided after decades of searching to become Buddhist and I'm most interested in following the Theravada path.

This has led me to start practising mindful meditation which I have already been doing on and off again for years. As I've researched meditation I've learned a few things like not all meditation is created equally. Also watching a Youtube video on brain plasticity I've seen the merits displayed of TM and brain wave patterns.

I'm interested in other people's experience and especially those that have tried both or people who have read up more on differences.

Things I'm wondering:

1.) Can anyone learn TM? They say it is easy yet require a 15 hour class and large sum of money. I've heard if not done right it doesn't produce the desired results. If TM isn't about concentrating on a mantra what exactly do you do to transcend then?

2.) For people who have tried both what effects did you notice and which meditation did you prefer long term? I'd appreciate anyone who has taken more time to study the science and can give their opinion too.

3.) I read one person who said that doing TM could be harmful to ever doing mindfulness. I'm guessing practice will build neural pathways and as you try to concentrate on being mindful your mind will revert to TM. Anyone know anything about this and would mindful meditation make TM harder later?

For now I'm going to continue to do mindfulness as I really want to work on applying the eight fold path to my life and it seems to make sense to me. I'm sure I'm over-thinking this but if I'm going to meditate one way or another for years that is a lot of time dedicated to something. I'd like to make sure I've chosen informed and wisely.

Maybe you are right that all meditatiion is not created equally. I think I have read somewhere that different people need different concentration objects for their meditation. But then, that's not vipassana meditation; concentration meditation perhaps, which serve to help one get focussed. I have heard too that vipassana meditation is encouraged because that's the meditation that will lead to Nirvana; mindfulness, liberation of a sort. TM, I suppose is Transcendental meditation. You may gain superpowers from it perhaps, but the point is, that's not the main aim of meditation. The main aim is to achieve Nirvana. So, if one is meditating, there's no point in thinking and craving for the products especially the ones that turn one into a superman. If I were you, I'll just stick to the meditation which you know best.

• TM=trade marked?
    Jeffrey
  • TM teaches Hindu god name mantras and 'spiritual hopping' from a full lotus. You can join the circus too.

Chanting any mantra is calming, just like taking a tranquiliser. Buddhism offers more than palliative masking. Buddhism offers a range of techniques including learning how to fly, internal central heating - Tumo and so on. Circus Buddhism is available too . . .

Mantras in Buddhist practice can be used prior to mindfulness practice as a way of bringing the mind to calm and focus. Becoming aware, changing our lifestyle, following the dharma is a complete path of transformation.

:om:
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    Wuji said:

Traditionally there is samatha ( tranquillity ) and vipassana ( insight ) meditation. Samatha is generally seen as a foundation for vipassana, though actually they are 2 sides of the same coin.
    I think TM would be classified as a type of samatha medititation because chanting calms and concentrates the mind. But mindfulness of breathing is just as effective and it's free! ;)
  • What is TM?

TM is a business to be sure. They are a righteous bunch with no end of confidence. I do think it is important to separate the TM business from the core meditation techniques. The core TM method is often misunderstood to be a "chanting meditation." This is because it uses a mantra. But the important thing is not the mantra per se, but the relationship that one is taught to that mantra and how it relates to meditating. This relationship and instruction are probably the best description around of how to experience samatha - or the experience of Self in its pure and un-disturbed nature. Is TM worth it? Well, it is worth it in the following sense. It is first-class instruction which is effective and that big price usually gets students to actually apply themselves to that meditation for some significant time. If you can afford it, you get good instruction. If one wants a package deal with answers to everything else, TM can offer you that as well.

Is it better than Mindful Meditation? If the instruction for Mindful Meditation were as precise, repeatable and universally available as that of TM, probably not. The difficulty with Mindful Meditation is that the instruction is often quite variable and imprecise. The instruction really matters, and that is where TM truly shines; they get it right every time.

Let me give you an example of what the Mindful Meditation (MM) instruction might look like if it were to be as good as TM:

Sit comfortably (most fall asleep if they lay down) somewhere, preferably free of distractions like noise, interruptions and pets jumping on you. Close your eyes and maybe take a couple of comfortable deep breaths just to key yourself to the idea that you are about to meditate. Realize that what we are going to achieve is to experience ones self at a very fundamental level and transcend thinking. That is, experience being (Being if you like) without the distraction of thinking. Remember that no thought is worth chasing. No thought is more valuable than this experience. Set with this attitude, encourage the mind to abide with your breathing. Don't think about the breathing, don't try to make your breathing do anything. Just allow your awareness to be with that breathing as it comes and goes and pauses in between. It is like hanging out with your breath, not having a conversation with it. Thoughts will come up and distract you. This is natural. Don't worry about them. Don't chase them. Don't entertain them. Just let them go. Simply, when you notice that you are thinking some thought, seeing some image, hearing some sound - encourage your mind to return to hanging our with your breath. It sounds draconian and boring. Surprise! It is neither. The process is, above all, done without effort. You will come to love, I mean really love that deep silent peace that is the truth of who you are. Continue this for a while. More than about 20 minutes at a time may leave you pretty spacy for the day. That can be OK if you have a weekend to be spacy with. Twice a day is about right. As you end your meditation, simply drop the constant connection to the breath. Allow your mind to do whatever it likes. Normal thinking will return within about 2 minutes. Perhaps, your breath has become a bit slow and shallow. If so, pick up the pace and depth a bit as part of getting back to normal waking consciousness. Keep your eyes closed until you feel normal and then slowly open them. A gentle return is extremely important.

If Mindful Meditation were to use an instruction like this, it would rival TM. Most descriptions of how to do Mindful Medication fall short of this.

Yes, I have done both meditations and find them to be basically the same if MM is well taught. Both produce the same result. One has an organization you can connect with if you want, the other is something that is of your own making. If your results start to wander off, it is because you forgot something in the instruction. TM offers free checking to make sure you are always doing it right. MM has no structured way to ensure you get it back. I offer you this MM instruction, which should prove to be pretty reliable. If your results fall away, then re-read this instruction.

I do not see TM as a fraud or evil. They have become a big organization doing various things they see as important. Joining in on that is available for those who want that. But, for folks who are suspicious of organizations, one can meditate transcendentally and get the benefits without the organization. TM does not own that. That existed long before any organization called TM. There is a big difference between knowing about meditation and actually meditating regularly. The price and structure of TM is a big aide to many in keeping that regularity, at least for quite some time.

Pat Quinn
    Portland, Oregon
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited December 2012
    The goal of meditation is not to have a silent mind. The mind should be sharps and inquisitive for insight to take place. If no-thought were a reliable refuge you should be able to be in that state all of the time. But life won't let you do that. Why waste time cultivating this? Why not work towards enlightenment?
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    excuse my ignorance but as a theravada buddhist I don't think I've ever heard of this "TM" what is it?
  • Transcendental Meditation, a non-Buddhist movement.
    BhikkhuJayasara
    OOOH thank you, I am aware of transcendental I just couldn't connect it to the letters.

well what we do know is that there are many types of meditation in this world with different goals. Not everyone wants meditation for enlightenment, whatever is beneficial for them is all well and good.
  • Meditation is meditation. Although TM marketing may try to convince you their techniques are somehow special and worth big $$.

I learned TM which is mantra meditation to begin with. I moved on to breath meditation on my own. For me it works much better. The body is a foundation for mindfulness.

Any practice that brings you into contact with the silent level of present moment awareness can be called meditation. It is a routine that allows you to experience a deep settling in your mind which is conducive to insight.

Unfortunately TM will not teach you about the 4 Noble Truths or the 8 Fold Path to freedom. Not to mention dependent origination and emptiness.

Best Wishes
  • I'll sell anyone their own personal mantra for 50% under the TM cost. Contact me here for details.
    "Hoopdeedoo", "yowzinga" and "aahoooga!" are all still available, so act fast...
  • RebeccaSRebeccaS Veteran
    edited December 2012
    Larry David and TM

BhikkhuJayasara
    RebeccaS said:

Larry David and TM

LOL.. I remember that scene.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

I'll sell anyone their own personal mantra for 50% under the TM cost. Contact me here for details.
    "Hoopdeedoo", "yowzinga" and "aahoooga!" are all still available, so act fast...

I can undercut that rate, and have done a deal with the Clingons, they have some right wierd mantras...
    :p
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    I assess a practice by the results .. namely the people who practice it.
    I have been involved with meditative communities since I was born in 1949 to my mother, who had been a direct student of Paramahansa Yogananda.
    I know many people who practice TM and have done so since the 1970's. I do not see changes in their behavior, or an increase in peace or wisdom. They continue to be hooked and strung by their emotions as there were when I first me them so long ago.
    For that matter, my mother died as much a slave to her emotions as when I was a child growing up.
    Involved with a dharma group (taught by a lama) for over a decade, this is the only place where I have watched the participants grow and change. We work together often on fund-raising projects as we support the lama .. and it's interesting to watch how the dynamics of any given member mellows out over the years. Especially those who come in as newcomers hyper-reactive and touchy, easily annoyed or angered.
    My sister, practicing Theravandan with a bikkhu in a different city, for 15 years now, has noticef the same thing within her own dharma group.
    And this is something neither of us has noticed outside of Buddhism, this changing of one's habitual responses to life. Psychology defines "learning" as "a change in outer behavior". It would appear that Buddhism is therefore a path of learning.
    In my observation, I do not include TM under that umbrella.
  • edited December 2012
    Just noticed my old thread was being replied to :). Well in the past two years I've mostly done Vipassanā mediation and it has worked great. This coming year I plan to take a 10 day course where you must remain silent for 9 days and just meditate. It is a bit scary but, I've heard only great things about the healing that comes after and dealing with old issues that still linger.

This course is offered free and food and shelter is provided. You only have to provide transportation to get there. Checkout http://www.dhamma.org/ if you want to find a course close to you. It is recommended you donate if you can to the Sangha you attend.

Also I highly recommend watching a documentary called The Dhamma Brothers about this same 10 day course being given in Alabama prisons. I found it very interesting and it made me much less apprehensive after seeing the benefits described by others. The video is available on Netflix live which is where I watched it.
  • edited December 2012

2)I still have a lot of chatter in my head & am wondering if there is a specific meditation to deal with that

I saw this question and noticed no one directly answered it. Chatter will always be in your head as this is your "stream of consciousness". It can never be shut off. The point of mindful mediation is not to stop chatter.

The point to MM is to observe the chatter rather than reacting to it. If you've ever noticed a feeling in your chest when you are afraid you will know what I mean. After practicing meditation for a few years I don't tend to react to my thoughts anymore without first observing and analyzing them. I suffered from debilitating anxiety and panic attacks and now I don't have a hint of it anymore.