Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What are your favorite..

vegetarian meals ?
I want to become a vegetarian but first I want to know some good recipes for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

Comments

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited December 2012
    So you'd like to be a vegetarian but only after making sure you won't make bad vegetarian breakfasts, lunches & dinners???
    WilliamHobbs
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    I'm not vegetarian.. but I haven't met a meal at Bhavana Society forest monastery i didn't like ;P.

tofu is pretty good if it's prepared right.
    PremaSagarWilliamHobbs
  • PremaSagarPremaSagar Veteran
    edited December 2012
    how said:

So you'd like to be a vegetarian but only after making sure you won't make bad vegetarian breakfasts, lunches & dinners???

Well I want to get some recipes recommended and then try them out to see how they sit with me. I don't really have many ideas about what to make and I'd like to know what recipes I'll be using on a daily basis figured out ahead of time. Of course I want to make sure that the meals I prepare are agreeable to me and suit my tastes.

• BhanteLuckyBhanteLucky Alternative lifestyle person in the South Island of New Zealand New Zealand Veteran
    Burgers! Using falafel instead of a beef pattie.
    Pizza! Just leaving off the ham.
    French Fries! Cooked in vegetable oil.
    Ice Cream! It's already vegetarian! woohoo!

Yum, all my favourite foods are easily transformed to vegetarian.
    DaftChrisPremaSagarWilliamHobbs
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited December 2012
    OK, a Small Buddhist temple has just put out a small Vegetarian cookbook compiled from it's congregations tried & true favourites.
    www.lionsgatebuddhistpriory.ca has it here for a free download but they have really published it to support a building fund.
    Cheers
    PremaSagar
  • Bow Tie Pasta

A serving of pasta cooked and drained.
    Coat pasta in olive oil
    Slice a proportional amount of cherry tomatoes
    Slice a proportional amount of black olives
    Chop Fresh herbs of your choice

Mix and add splashes of red wine vinegar (RWV) to taste. This makes a dressing by combining olive oil with RWV.

Add salt and pepper to taste.

You can use whatever pasta but I think pasta that tumbles perhaps spirals or bow tie is best.
    PremaSagar
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    edited December 2012
    I like left over spaghetti, fried gently in lashings of garlic and lots of dried chilli; eaten with a hefty green salad and chunks of garlic bread. It was a favourite hang over cure of mine; washed down with a nice pint of robust red wine. :D
    PremaSagarWilliamHobbs
  • Have been vegetarian pretty much since 1998. (except for those off times when my job was all-encompasssing and didn't have food choices while being stuck at work.) I tend to be mostly vegan these days.

Favs:
    Baked brussels sprouts with onion
    sauteed kale with garlic and sea salt
    sweet potato pie
    French country breakfast: a crockpot of yams, potatoes, tomatoes, onions, asparagus, and egg on top
    buckweat noodle w/ veggies n peanut sauce stir frys

Lots of recipes and "how to's" here:
    http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipe/
    PremaSagarRebeccaS
  • BhanteLuckyBhanteLucky Alternative lifestyle person in the South Island of New Zealand New Zealand Veteran
    Macaroni cheese is simple and yum and everyone likes it.
    Nachos or tacos, with beans.
  • RebeccaSRebeccaS Veteran
    edited December 2012
    I would actually be more concerned with learning about the foods that are nutritionally viable than the ones that taste good ;) Vegetarians are at a much higher risk for nutritional deficiencies and it takes a lot of education to be able to provide yourself with nutritionally dense and bioavailable meals. A lot of vegetarian meals sound very wholesome, but when you look at how the body processes them you see that they're really not so great.

As an example to get you started, a baby spinach salad with cheese sounds like a good meal because you're getting iron from the spinach, as well as calcium and protein from the cheese. Protein and iron are hard to come by in a vegetarian diet. However, spinach doesn't really have much iron. The iron that it does contain is non-heme which is much harder for the body to absorb. On top of that, the calcium from the cheese inhibits the absorption of iron even further.

Someone suggested beans... The thing with beans (and grains and nuts) is phytic acid. What this does is bind the minerals (magnesium, iron, zinc etc) found in the bean (or grain or nut) so while they're in the digestive tract, the body can't absorb them. This can lead to deficiency. The back of the packet says you're ingesting this amount of mineral, which technically you are putting into your mouth, but your body isn't then absorbing it. You have to prepare beans in such a way that the amount of phytic acid is reduced, making the minerals available, which will never be 100%.

Aside from that, the amino acids that make up the proteins in beans aren't the same as those found in meat - they are "incomplete proteins". The only grain that I'm aware of with a complete protein is quinoa.

Then there are the lectins found in grains and legumes which mess with your insulin resistance. Not a good thing.

The other problem with the vegetarian diet is that it tends to be very high carb (thanks to all the grains and legumes) which is disastrous for your body, playing havoc with your insulin levels and fat stores.

Then there are all the hideous vegetable oils - hydrogenated and full of trans fats. (Opt for an extra virgin cold pressed nut oil and olive oil - I like coconut because it remains stable at high temperatures and can be used for cooking as well as used raw.)

Then there are the meat substitutes which are mostly soy based (tofurkey etc.) which are basically just sugar and MSG. I'm not a soy fan because research seems to be pointing to the fact that it's very unhealthy, however, there hasn't been anything conclusive. Yet. Until the jury is out I'm staying away from it and would advise others to do the same. The same with the beans, a fermenting process reduces the amounts of anti-nutrients, so opt for tempeh, instead.

Definitely try to avoid processed foods. They're just so terribly, terribly bad for you.

You have to know this kind of stuff to make good food choices and remain healthy. We all like a good, tasty meal, but it's much more important to ensure that our bodies are running as well as they possibly can. When we opt for a vegetarian diet this means investing the time in educating ourselves about our physiology as well as the foods we intend to eat because it's harder to ensure we're getting everything we need.

Just something to consider before you make the switch.
    BhikkhuJayasaraMaryAnnePremaSagarBunks
  • RebeccaS said:

Protein and iron are hard to come by in a vegetarian diet.

I'm not sure about the protein thing. There's quite a few top athletes who're vegetarian/vegan and they don't seem to have many problems.

I've been reading Scott Jurek's East, Sleep and Run, and he's an ardent life long vegan. He runs ultra marathons of 100+ miles and is one of the World's fastest at these mentally long distances. Much of his book is donated to vegan recipes and he talks about how easy it is for him to fulfil his protein requirements - and not only that - he attributes much of his athletic prowess to his vegan lifestyle.

And this guy is an amazing ultra runner too and he only eats fruit (fruitarian):

• RebeccaSRebeccaS Veteran
    edited December 2012
    @Tosh Well, it's not reply about "proteins", it's about amino acids. Protein is just a catch all word.

There are 20 amino acids (or maybe 21, I can't remember) which join together to make various proteins. Some of these amino acids aren't created by the body and so must be provided by diet. These are essential amino acids. A complete protein (meat, fish, poultry etc) contains all of these essential amino acids.

An incomplete protein (beans, grains etc) is missing some of these essential amino acids.

So it's basically about making sure that you have enough variety so that your body can break down these proteins and combine the complimentary amino acids resulting in optimal intake of the essential amino acids.

The "frutarian" looks very unhealthy to me! :lol: I'm sure he isn't, but he's very skinny (where is his muscle?) and pale. I think that's common with endurance atheletes, though. Aside from that, the body of an athlete has much different requirements. A fruit diet seems completely ridiculous, but the reason he isn't dying from all the sugar is the way his body processes it. It's very different for athletes. They are continually dipping into their glycogen stores and require a higher amount of carbohydrate.
    MaryAnnePremaSagar
  • misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran
    there are many Indian vegetarian dishes - both tasty and healthy - which you can modify like reducing spice :) as per your requirements.
    MaryAnne
  • Textured Vegetable Protein or TVP is an excellent and versatile substitute for meat and contains all the protein that meat has. I love to use it in the same manner as ground beef. It makes awesome tacos!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Textured_vegetable_protein
  • misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran
    edited December 2012
    from the point of view of carbohydrates to proteins to fats to vitamins to minerals, whatever you get in non-veg, almost all things you can get in veg . eating veg - you can remain healthy almost throughout your lives - if you do not believe, please come to India and you will find many vegetarians here, who are healthy.