Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Building your own altar

Comments

• edited April 2006
    Erich,
    Your alter sounds wonderfull! I'd like to see it sometime, but no biggie.
    I used to hate flowers, but now i see what a great study in impermanance they are.
  • edited May 2006
    Federica,

I went to photobucket, but how do I find your alter once I am there?
    Thanks,
    Marybeth
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2006
    photo0084ji.jpg

There you go.... :)
  • edited May 2006
    Thank you!
    I love the variety of Buddhas!
    and the lanterns!!!!
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2006
    The lanterns were a gift from my mother, and look lovely in the evening, lit out on the porch whilst we have dinner....

Long time now, since that happened....

But thank you...! :)
  • MichelleMichelle Explorer
    edited May 2006
    Your altar is beautiful, Federica ! Very inspiring and peaceful.

Namaste,
    Michelle
  • edited May 2006
    Hi Fede,
    I was hoping you would post a picture of your alter, your description was so interesting. It was worth the wait, thanks!

Here is a temporary addition to my alter. Its a Sri Lankan clarinet. Venerable Devananda wants me to play it saturday at Buddha's celebration. I'm sure I'll get all the dogs for blocks around to howling.
  • not1not2not1not2 Veteran
    edited May 2006
    Here's my family alter. I'll add commentary later.

_/\_
    metta
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited May 2006
    I must say Not1Not2, that is very cool.
  • edited May 2006
    Everyone's altars on here look great, since my current camera can only take outdoor pictures, I can only describe mine-
    2 incense holders, one that has a compartment under it for storing incense
    a tree branch with different colored rocks around it.
    a small Laughing buddha and about a 9.5 x 6.5 bronze-coloured Buddha(found it at Wal Mart!!!)
    some bamboo sticks around the tree branch and scattered across the area.
    and a shelf above it with copies of the Heart Sutra and the Dhammapadda.

it's all on top of my clothes shelf, so all that walk in can get a view of it.

If i get a nice camera for my birthday (8 days) i'll post a pic up on here.

with love,
    Wes.
  • edited May 2006
    Here's my attempt at an altar. It's not as nice as some of what I have seen in this thread.

newaltar.jpg
  • edited May 2006
    Hi Zenmonie,
    I really like the subtle, simple look of your alter. Its very nice! If you have some time, I'd enjoy reading some details about you're Buddha statue.
    I need more room, a bigger alter, I'm collecting alot of personal stuff there. I think as my conviction grows so will my alter, it has become a sacred place to me.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited May 2006
    Zenmonie,

I love your altar! That's a beautiful Buddha statue, the colour is so rich. This one really appeals to me. Nice clean lines, uncluttered, clear. I think you may have inspired me to do something similar.
  • edited May 2006
    Zenmonie, it looks wonderful! your Buddha statue is just like mine!
  • edited May 2006
    Wow thanks! I'm glad you like my altar. I like things nice and simple. :)

I got the buddha at Target, believe it or not, back in January. It was only $9.99! As you can see from this photo -

personalbuddha.jpg

it is a Buddha tealight holder for tealight candles, perfect for meditation. But I placed a silk flower sunflower in the tealight holder spot for variation... maybe I'll find a lotus to put in there instead.

I really like it, and meditate next to the altar by sitting on the left side of it, it's in my bedroom.
  • edited May 2006
    yep, I got mine a Wal-Mart for around 10 bucks, they just started to sell them last month, I was quite shocked to find it, so I grabbed it immediately.

great statue for the price, I was thinking about putting flowers around it, still debating what to do.

With love,
    Wes.
  • edited May 2006
    It's funny how in the past 2 years, I've really noticed Buddhist inspired art is available for purchase in the most unlikely places. In a way, I think that's good... spreadin Buddhism in the mainstream. But also, I don't want it to become faddish.

:-/
    edited May 2006
    Well, people will always jump on the bandwagon...Just be selective, and know it's not quantity, it's quality.....
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited May 2006
    I still haven't found a Buddha statue. I wish we had Target where I live.
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited May 2006
    Fede,
    I am selective. But then my wallet screams "We can only afford water on your champagne taste budget"! Heehehehehehehe!

Brigid,
    What about your personal Target connection? Go to www. target.com I believe. Not sure if they deliver to the deep frozen tundra where you live. Wow, talk about an interesting place to meditate. On an ice floe I meant. HMMMMMM!
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited May 2006
    Oh, man. If I had access to Target I'd go crazy! That Buddha statue with the tea light looks so beautiful. It's perfect.
    I've meditated in the snow, Jerry. I did it a few times last winter when my back was swollen and I was taking extra meds. In order to stay alert I decided to go out and sit in the snow. And I didn't have to take my ice pack with me, either. lol! It worked very well. But the shivering sent me back inside eventually.

I'll look around for a Canadian connection to Target. You never know. My strict rule for internet shopping is "In country only" because even when companies do deliver to Canada, the exchange rate, shipping and duties kill you. It doubles and sometimes triples the cost of the order. It's much safer to restrict my buying to Canada. It sucks, though, because all the good, inexpensive stuff is still in the U.S.
  • edited May 2006
    It's not much but it is our simple take on the altar:

altar6rd.jpg
  • edited May 2006
    Hi Friends,
    Try ebay, it worked for me. I have seen some very interesting Buddhist stuff there.

Now for my new and improved alter!

My friend, who works at Market Fair, got me this singing bowl. She's Wiccan, so its already been blessed. The sage incense came from her mother's garden. I can't wait to have the opportunity for a long meditation where I can offer it to Buddha. The bowl is from Nepal, and as much as I can determine is fair trade.
  • edited May 2006
    We also hang my Tibetan Thanka that is allegedly 60 years young! It is usually covered and used for reflection purposes only.

thanka12tf.jpg

Detail:

thanka27gt.jpg
  • edited May 2006
    Wow, BSF now that is simple! Very elegant! What great ideas you have given me. Thank you.
  • edited May 2006
    OK, BSF, you did it now, I just have to ask some questions. Do you have a thread going about Buddhist life in Japan? What does it say on your alter? Do you use the beads? Can you get me real Buddhist stuff from Japan? Too many questions? Do you have a thread going with pictures of Buddhist stuff in Japan? Some of us are starving, share share share!
  • edited May 2006
    OK, BSF, you did it now, I just have to ask some questions. Do you have a thread going about Buddhist life in Japan? What does it say on your alter? Do you use the beads? Can you get me real Buddhist stuff from Japan? Too many questions? Do you have a thread going with pictures of Buddhist stuff in Japan? Some of us are starving, share share share!

SLP,

I apologise for doing whatever I seem to have done but I am happy to answer your questions.

I don't have a thread going covering Buddhist life in Japan but seeing as you are interested I shall start one as soon as I've finished this reply!

My 'altar' is a blessing card from the Golden Temple in Kyoto - my kanji (chinese characters used in the Japanese language) knowledge is terrib,e but I'm trying to learn. I can definately disern the name of the temple, Kyoto, Zen and temple but apart from that I'll have to ask my girlfriend!

The mala beads (or juzu as they are know as over here) are my own meditation and mantra recitation beads. They are also from Kyoto from a Buddhist store which sold every type of juzu for every tradition. The juzu in the picture is specific to the tradition of Japanese Zen Buddhist of which I am a student.

I could get you real Buddhist stuff from Japan but I'm slightly confused as to what that really means...:-/ Things are things after all and the real Buddhist stuff is right where you are.

Definately not too many questions!

Right I'm off to start a Buddhism in Japan thread!
    edited May 2006
    If we show excess pride in, or attachment to our little Buddha-Corners...

...Is this Altar-Ego.....?:poke: :D
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited June 2006
    BSF,

I can't get over that thangka. It's so beautiful. As the picture was downloading I could feel my heart get fuller and fuller. It's at times like this when I know Tibetan Buddhism is really for me. Thanks for showing it to us.
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited June 2006
    Hmmm...

My "meditation space" is downstairs, in an unfinished basement, surrounded by all of my music stuff on a little carpet. Nothing fancy - but it works for me.

-bf
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited June 2006
    This is a pic of the thangka given to us by HHDL, which hasngs in my study. Anyone read handwritten Tibetan? He wrote something on it, telling us what he was writing but I forgot to note it down and can't remember. If you think you can read it, I can take clearer pics of the writing.

• edited June 2006
    Hi Friends,
    The Teaching has helped me, I can see it, I'm prepared to let the grasping go on a little longer.
    BSF, your crime is kindness. Thank you!
    Its just that its kind of an alien environment for Buddhists around here. I ask alot from people on this site, and don't give enough in return. I'm working on it.

I have managed to find some Buddhist culture around here. My grandkids at Vesak.
    edited June 2006
    As I said, I would comment later. I guess this counts as later.

Anyway, this is our family alter. In the middle, we have a wooden Buddha with a floral, beaded garland (made by my wife) and a mala that we got from the Tibetan Monks when they came through town. Above the Buddha we have a Celtic Cross which represents my roots in Christianity and the heart vows I made in the past and my wife's background in Nature traditions as well as Christianity. In front of that is a metal pot with sweetgrass and stone eggs (one for each member of the family). It's our family nest.

In front of that we have the incense holder and the a wand made by my wife. In the front left & right we have two ceramic pots that have essential oils and sand from the mandala the Tibetan monks made.

On the left we have a silver container w/our marraige certificate a box with the petals of the first dozen roses I gave my wife, and various types of stones and personally significant items.

On the right I have an votive holder fashioned with lotus petal accents and AUM symbols. Behind it is a nice bell that I picked up. It has a really cool resonance.

Anyway, that's my family alter.

_/\_
    metta

P.S.-Jerbear. Thanks a bunch. I'm glad you like it.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited June 2006
    This is such a beautiful thread.
    edited June 2006
    Simon, take a photo...if not on this forum, there's another smaller, lss significant and wildly inferior forum called e-sangha that might have a translator..... ;)
  • edited June 2006
    Hi friends,
    I've had alot of obligations to take my time. I still think of you all often. I do have time to read some threads now and then.
    Just to show I'm still alive, here is my new Buddha statue, the temple gave it to me, and Venerable Chandana blessed it. It is the same as the one at the temple only much smaller.
    I think I'll paint it bronze or copper.
    May you be well, happy, and peacefull.
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited June 2006
    I like the jelly Beans but that rolled joint is the biggest one I've ever seen.
    edited June 2006
    Xrayman wrote:
    I like the jelly Beans but that rolled joint is the biggest one I've ever seen.

No offense man, but that's not a rolled up joint at all. It's called a spliff.

_/\_
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited June 2006
    Word.

-bf
  • edited June 2006
    LOL Xrayman.

Wow...this is definitely a beautiful thread. I really love everyone's altars. I have been thinking about mine for a while, and do plan on changing it up very soon. I will post pictures soon!

Simon, I am still so jealous of the fact that you actually got to meet and sit with HHDL. And how wonderful that he gave you a gift. He is the best.
  • edited June 2006
    Nice work guys. Given me some inspiration for my own. I just have one of those Buddha in a Box things you can get in bookshops at the moment but I want something more permanent (arrgghh! desire!!!)

Welcome back to Blighty, Federica :)
    edited June 2006
    Oh, I say, thanks awfully old chap - it's absolutely tickerty-boo to be here...!! :lol::ukflag:
  • edited June 2006
    Ray you crack me up! Thanks, and yes that 5th precept is a tough one.
  • edited June 2006
    I am enjoying learning to sew lately. And interested in making altar cloths. Does anyone know of any pattersn or forms online? Any specifics for different altar cloths for different Buddhist traditions?
  • edited June 2006
    i don't have an altar yet, I do have a small statue of Maitreya I have by my computer with a copy of the Dhammapada and in my bedroom I have a statue of Guatama Buddha that's also a candleholder in it's own special place.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited June 2006
    I'm getting ready for my altar. Just have to sort out my room which will take a while since I have to stop a lot. But I have a beautiful Buddha statue now that I'm very grateful for and I'm mulling over where I want to put the altar. I don't have a digital camera but my brother-in-law does so I'll ask him if I can use his and post the pics at a later date.

Much love to my sangha,
    Brigid
  • edited March 2007
    I've had to re-do mine cause the spot it was in wasn't to practical. My brother made a floating shelf for me and I recently hung it. It serves it's purpose very well! And I like having it!
  • MagwangMagwang Veteran
    edited March 2007
    Mine is on top of my dresser. That's Yoda and Hotei flanking my Thai buddha statue.
  • Bunny_HereBunny_Here Explorer
    edited March 2007
    Sorry for blurry picture- I have an old digital camera.

Anyhow, my altar is in the spare bedroom. The altar contains a statue of Kannon, Amida and Shakyamuni with a small candle (left, in front of Kannon) and an incense burner (right, in front of Amida). Below is a medium sized gong with striker, and an orihon-style sutra book. The cabinet store incense, offering cups, a candle-snuffer, other sutra books and Buddhist books, etc.
    edited March 2007
    Impressive!!

hello Bunny here! Nice to see you again! XX *Hugs*