Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Taking life/yourself too seriously?

MateeahMateeah Explorer
edited January 2013 in General Banter
Basically the title says it all! I frequently find myself being so serious with myself and life in general, and it causes me to suffer. . I was wondering if anyone has any advice for me. Being Buddhist I tend to think and analyze things a lot, maybe a little bit too much. ;-)

Many thanks and much love!

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited January 2013
    Being Buddhist has nothing to do with it.
    Being Buddhist actually means you let go of intrusive and pointless over-analysis, not increase it.
    I - as a Buddhist - never take myself seriously at all... in fact, there's a distinct possibility I'm very frivolous in the eyes of many....

You just need to stop being so bothered by so much.

Ask yourself:
    "How conducive is this analysis to my practice?"

if it isn't - or you have to find reason that it might be - drop it.
    Renata
  • NevermindNevermind Bitter & Hateful Veteran
    edited January 2013
    federica said:

Being Buddhist actually means you let go of intrusive and pointless over-analysis, not increase it.

Funny, really letting go of something, to me, means that it doesn't matter if it's picked up or put down. Cuz if you GOTTA put someth'n down, you're way stuck. And if you're stuck it's probably a good idea to investigate the stuckness, so yall can gets over it.

Make sense?
  • @Mateeah federica is right on the money with her answer to you. Your practice should be freeing to you, not restrictive. It is true that as humans with human lives and problems, we will be prone to over thinking and dwelling on things. Ive shared this before, but I think its fitting for you. When I get overwhelmed, I picture myself whereever I am, say, sitting on the couch or whatever. Then slow pull away, like you are floating above yourself. Pull away farther, above your house, then your neigborhood, seeing people going about their lives, dealing with problems of their own. Pull back farther, until your house cant be made out, your town is a speck, you are watching the entire world of people from above. Realize that each person on this earth is dealing with problems and issues that to them, are the most important things in the world. Makes you realize just how connected you are to everything else. You are like one cell among countless others that make up the world that we live in.
    Suddenly the "problems" of our lives dont seem so big.......
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    My memory stinks sometimes and googling it came up with nada but a wise person said "When I think of myself I suffer".
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    edited January 2013
    I ... as a human being.. never take myself too seriously.. I'm also a big kid still. I dunno any other 34 year old people practicing parkour with 18 year olds, jumping around, climbing trees and having fun while also laughing at myself when I fall or make mistakes. That is called enjoying your own company :).

Mateeah, I want you to do this the next time you start to " think to much". Sit down, close your eyes, and just watch your monkey mind go all over the place. When you are just watching, you aren't thinking and you can feel some peace. Your thoughts are really meaningless compared to your experience and wisdom.

the answer to all of your questions.. is to sit down and be mindful of your 5 aggregates form(body), feeling, perception, mental formations(thoughts) and consciousness. When you observe you see clearly what to do and have less doubt and worry.
    Renata
  • There is a difference in thinking and observing, thinking things too much causes all kinds of problems, to list a few forms of anxiety, hate, guilt and so forth, to observe something as it arises is to merely observe it in an indifferent manner. Just take it for what it is, if you are feeling like crap you feel like crap, it will change and move on. If you feel on top of the world that too will change and move on.

The mind that thinks thinks and plans is the monkey mind. People consider that to think a lot is to be clever, but they are stuck on autopilot, reacting to things rather than being able to fully understand what their mind is doing. Many very intelligent people are depressed for whatever reason or reasons, but over-thinking leads to many states of suffering. I know from my own personal experience of having an overactive mind which I inherited from my mother, she is such a worrier. She thinks and worries so much and I have had diagnosed anxiety problems since the age of 12. Only recently have I pulled myself out of it, all the while trying to get my mum to try and do the same thing. She is too stubborn though and set in her ways, so after failed attempts at showing her simple techniques I have left it alone as it is beyond my control.

Renata
  • I was wondering if anyone has any advice for me
    Just for a joke. A laugh . . . Ha ha, ha
    Become a Buddha.
    Meanwhile you need some advice from puppetji.
    ThailandTom
  • ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
    edited January 2013

Is this what happened to you @lobster, did you go crazy chasing your own tail?
  • Mateeah said:

Basically the title says it all! I frequently find myself being so serious with myself and life in general, and it causes me to suffer. . I was wondering if anyone has any advice for me. Being Buddhist I tend to think and analyze things a lot, maybe a little bit too much. ;-)

I would save the seriousness for when I need it. Just as it would be better to have 6 strings on a guitar instead of one.

Renata
  • Not only did I go crazy and starting manifesting in my own tales
    http://vt.tumblr.com/tumblr_mgno5aaNI51r9532p.mp4
    I went sane . . . Far worse than being crazy :wave:
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    Mateeah said:

I was wondering if anyone has any advice for me.

Laugh more.

Not fake laughs - proper deep from the belly life inspired laughs.
    lobsterRenata
  • SileSile Veteran
    A favorite quote from Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche:

"Once you have the view, although the delusory perceptions of samsara may arise in your mind, you will be like the sky; when a rainbow appears in front of it, it’s not particularly flattered, and when the clouds appear, it’s not particularly disappointed either. There is a deep sense of contentment. You chuckle from inside as you see the facade of samsara and nirvana; the view will keep you constantly amused, with a little inner smile bubbling away all the time."
    RenataJeffreysova
  • Mateeah said:

Mateeah, I know what you mean, because I used to be exactly like that! I would analyze, fret, and stew over things, even if I have no control over them. And you are right in concluding that doing this causes you to suffer- constantly doing this is exhausting!

But like frederica replied, I do not think this is because you are a Buddhist. Being a Buddhist faced with your own tendency to overanalyze, it is important to remember two things- 1) The only thing we have right now is the present moment and 2) Everything is impermanent. When you realize this, it is easier to let go of things without first beating them to death. This does not mean that you become complacent, only that you take the things seriously that are important and need to be taken seriously- a sense of wisdom and instinct that you will develop over time.

The last thing that I would say is to remember how over-seriousness and over-analysis can cause you to suffer. For example, some people who take themselves too seriously are very easily offended, causing them to suffer, even when no harm was meant. Or that over seriousness can cause someone to simply not laugh as much, not enjoy life as much as they could- another form of suffering.

If you feel yourself slipping into needless over-analysis, just take a deep breath, and gently bring yourself back to the present moment. Centering yourself this way will quiet that analytical chatter, and bring you back to your breath. You will find that after quite a bit of practice that you will catch that chatter more quickly- and that it will become less and less prevalent. In the process you will become more mindful of the present moment, and perhaps even develop wisdom about what actions/thoughts are more appropriate (and useful) than over-analysis.

I hope this helps you, if not, please disregard. May you be well and happy! :)
    Jeffreysova
  • I would distinguish between heedfulness and seriousness. Ajahn Brahm is a good example of someone who comes across as heedful (and I'm sure he would be really serious if the situation asks for it), but also funny and light-hearted. Other teachers (such as Gil Fronsdal) also show that you can be serious, heedful, and at the same time enjoy life and live with a lot of humor. I think that this is the right way to go.
    Renata
  • Play some music in your house and dance to it.
    sovadriedleaf
  • Mateeah said:

Think of emptiness :p
  • Mateeah said:

If being so serious with yourself and life makes you suffer, then try letting your hair down for a change. Just don't be too serious over it!
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Going to suspend this thread until the OP has a chance to come back and read all the comments. Otherwise it may have the tendency to 'run away with itself'.
    Thanks to all who contributed Mindfully.

Will happily re-open at OP's request.

;)
This discussion has been closed.