Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The Eight Precepts

BunksBunks Australia Veteran
I have decided to take the eight precepts tomorrow for the first time. It doesn't fall on an Uposatha day I know but my family is away for a bit so it suits me.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/ptf/dhamma/sila/atthasila.html

Question - are Theravadan monks able to have anything other then water after noon?

Wish me luck.........
cazThailandTomBrianInvincible_summerZenBadger

Comments

• misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran
    All the best to you.
    Bunks
  • Bravo.

Good luck :clap:
    Bunks
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    edited January 2013
    Bunks said:

I have decided to take the eight precepts tomorrow for the first time. It doesn't fall on an Uposatha day I know but my family is away for a bit so it suits me.

Question - are Theravadan monks able to have anything other then water after noon?

Wish me luck.........

near on anything liquid is fine ... there may be an issue when you get into milk and such but I'm pretty sure even that is fine. At Bhavana Society we often have tea and such after noon which is perfectly allowed. Im not much of a tea drinker so I usually have some ovaltine or nesquick hot chocolate/chocolate water :P

the monks have also shared little chocolate candies in the past, but it's fairly rare. Here is a link to the monks rules if your interested

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/thanissaro/bmc1/bmc1.intro.html

37. Should any bhikkhu chew or consume staple or non-staple food at the wrong time, it is to be confessed.

Object. Staple food here follows the standard definition given in the preface to this chapter. Non-staple food refers to all edibles except for the five staple foods, juice drinks, the five tonics, medicines, and water.

The wrong time. The Vibhaṅga defines the wrong time as from noon until dawnrise of the following day. (See Appendix I for a discussion of how dawnrise is defined.) Noon is reckoned as the moment the sun reaches its zenith, rather than by the clock — in other words, by local rather than standard or daylight-savings time. Thus, for example, a bhikkhu who is offered food while traveling in an airplane should check the position of the sun in order to determine whether he may accept and eat it. Some have argued that one may eat after noon if one has begun one's meal before noon, but the Commentary says explicitly that this is not the case.

Perception as to whether one is eating at the wrong time or the right time is not a mitigating factor here (see Pc 4).

Effort. The verbs chew and consume in the Pali of this rule are the verbs normally paired, respectively, with non-staple and staple foods. They both mean "to eat," but the question arises as to whether eating means going down the throat or entering the mouth. This becomes an issue, for instance, when a bhikkhu has a piece of food stuck in his teeth from his morning meal and swallows it after noon.

The Commentary generally defines eating as going down the throat, but a passage from the Cullavagga (V.25) suggests otherwise. In it, the Buddha allows a ruminator who brings up food to his mouth at the "wrong time" to swallow it, and ends with the statement: "But food that has been brought out from the mouth should not be taken back in. Whoever should take it in is to be dealt with according to the rule (i.e., this rule and the following one)." This suggests, then, that eating is technically defined as "taking into the mouth."

Offenses. The Vibhaṅga says that a bhikkhu incurs a dukkaṭa when, intending to eat it, he accepts staple or non-staple food. The question is, is the dukkaṭa only for accepting the food in the wrong time, or is it also for accepting food in the right time, intending to eat it in the wrong time? The Vibhaṅga doesn't answer the question, but the Commentary does, saying that the dukkaṭa is for accepting the food in the wrong time. The Vibhaṅga goes on to say that if the bhikkhu eats staple or non-staple food at the wrong time he incurs a pācittiya for every mouthful he eats. As for juice drinks, the five tonics, and medicine, there is a dukkaṭa for accepting them at the wrong time to be used as food, and another dukkaṭa for eating them at the wrong time as food.

No exception is granted to an ill bhikkhu, because there are a number of edibles an ill bhikkhu may consume at the wrong time without involving an offense: juice drinks, the five tonics, and medicines. Also, there is an allowance in Mv.VI.14.7 for a bhikkhu who has taken a purgative to take strained meat broth, strained rice broth, or strained green gram (mung bean) broth at any time of the day. Using the Great Standards, we may say that a bhikkhu who has a similar illness or worse may take these broths at any time; and some have argued that other bean broths — such as strained broth made from boiled soybeans — would fit under the category of green gram broth as well. However, unlike the case with the five tonics, mere hunger or fatigue would not seem to count as sufficient reasons for taking any of these substances in the wrong time.

A substance termed loṇasovīraka (or loṇasocīraka) is allowed (Mv.VI.16.3) to be taken in the wrong time as a medicine for ill bhikkhus and, when mixed with water, as a beverage for bhikkhus who are not ill. No one makes it anymore, but the recipe for it in the Commentary to Pr 3 bears some resemblance to the recipe for miso (fermented soybean paste). Some have argued, using the Great Standards, that the special allowance for this substance should extend to miso as well, but this is a controversial point. As far as I have been able to ascertain, miso is not used to cure diseases in adults even in China, which would be the place to look for its use as a medicine. However, even if the allowance does apply to miso, taking miso broth as food in the wrong time would entail a dukkaṭa.

Non-offenses. There is no offense if, having a reason, one consumes juice drinks, any of the five tonics, medicine, or water after noon or before dawnrise.

Summary: Eating staple or non-staple food in the period from noon till the next dawnrise is a pācittiya offense.
    Bunks
  • At the end of the day it comes down to the monk, nun, person and their morals. I have seen monks here in Thailand eating food past midday, buying food past midday as a matter of fact. Looks like @Jayantha has given you the material you need :) Good luck and keep us posted with how it goes :thumbsup:
  • In one of his (mp3) talks I listened to recently, Ajahn Brahm talks about him consuming cheese served at dinner time. I can only guess that because cheese is made from milk (liquid), it is ok to be consumed after noon by monks, or monks from his monastry at least. That said, I also came across people saying liquids, except milk, is ok. Can't understand the contradiction. Not sure if cheese and chololate existed in the Buddha's time...
    sukhita said:

In one of his (mp3) talks I listened to recently, Ajahn Brahm talks about him consuming cheese served at dinner time. I can only guess that because cheese is made from milk (liquid), it is ok to be consumed after noon by monks, or monks from his monastry at least. That said, I also came across people saying liquids, except milk, is ok. Can't understand the contradiction. Not sure if cheese and chololate existed in the Buddha's time...</blockquote

depends on the local interpretation of the vinaya rules.

• BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    The monks at my local temple would drink milk in the evening. (Thai, Theravada).
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    I also read somewhere about yoghurt being allowed?

Solar noon is 1.32pm here in Australia so I've just finished lunch...
  • Cheese definitely existed in the Buddha's time. In those days it was similar to feta cheese. Where there are cows and sheep, there is cheese and milk. :)

@Bunks, do you think you'll be able to keep all 8 precepts? Have you given this some thought? Very ambitious.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Dakini said:

Cheese definitely existed in the Buddha's time. In those days it was similar to feta cheese. Where there are cows and sheep, there is cheese and milk. :)

@Bunks, do you think you'll be able to keep all 8 precepts? Have you given this some thought? Very ambitious.

Cheese is not at all popular in Thailand. Most Thais look at it as something sorta spoiled.

• Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    Dakini said:

Cheese definitely existed in the Buddha's time. In those days it was similar to feta cheese. Where there are cows and sheep, there is cheese and milk. :)

Paneer... mmm...

edited January 2013
    Dakini said:

I failed.......and no @Dakini I gave it no thought at all. Just decided as I went to bed last night. Think I need to plan a little better or try a different environment.

Coming home to an empty house know there is cricket on the TV, food and beer in the fridge.......too much temptation.

Think I'll just work on the five precepts for a while :thumbsup:

Thanks for you interest people...bless you all.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    Bunks said:

Dakini said:

I failed.......and no @Dakini I gave it no thought at all. Just decided as I went to bed last night. Think I need to plan a little better or try a different environment.

Coming home to an empty house know there is cricket on the TV, food and beer in the fridge.......too much temptation.

The 5 precepts Pratimoksha vows are the best to keep for a lay person.

As it says in Prayer of the stages of the path by Je Tsongkhapa.

"The two attainments both depend on my sacred vows and my commitments, Bless me to understand this clearly and keep them at the cost of my life"

By keeping these commitments without fault and having received them from a qualified preceptor we generate immense good fortune that will be a cause of excellent bliss in the future.
    Bunks
  • The Uposatha days are the only days when most Theravada lay people keep the Eight Precepts. They fall about once a week. according to phases in the lunar calender.
    The other exception to this for lay people is when on some formal retreats
    Keeping them is strictly a matter of personal choice.
  • jlljll Veteran
    yes, honey, fruit juice, tea coffee, etc.
    good luck.
    Bunks said:

Wish me luck.........

• mettanandomettanando Veteran
    edited January 2013
    Bunks said:

Wish me luck.........

In all honesty Bunks I think the fact that you need to ask that question suggests to me that you are not sufficiently prepared.
    What are your motives ? What do you want to achieve. ?
    Luck has nothing to do with it.
    Its about intention and preparation.
    Bunks

Bunks said:

Wish me luck.........

In all honesty Bunks I think the fact that you need to ask that question suggests to me that you are not sufficiently prepared.
    What are your motives ? What do you want to achieve. ?
    Luck has nothing to do with it.
    Its about intention and preparation.
    Not even sure what my intention was to be frank.

I like the discipline of these precepts but they are harder than I thought. Especially practising them alone.

Thanks for your feedback.......
    Bunks said:

I failed.......

As I have posted many times, I think the 5 Precepts are very important and should be upheld. Yet, I don't see not always being successful in keeping them as failure. I see it as a constant effort to improve oneself, but we are human.

• Exactly...they are meant to keep us on our toes..they are a form of training..not tests.
    Dont worry about it Bunks. The Japanese have a saying " Six times down..seven times up ".. ;)
    Bunks
    Bunks said:

Dakini said:

on the contrary I think you succeeded.. the fact that you even made an attempt is a win. I've known people to have a hard time keeping the precepts in a monastery.. because it's really all in the mind. Your mind saw a benefit from the precepts but eventually through practice you will naturally come to want to live by them, or you wont.

speaking from someone who is preparing to move forward in becoming a monk.. even I don't live in my lay life by the 8 precepts daily. I would say i'm pretty much almost there in that I don't have cable, but I do watch some shows occasionally on streaming, etc.. stuff like that. I'm not sure the average lay person is even supposed to try to live by the 8, 5 is enough unless you naturally(ie without vow or force) wish to adopt the 8 and they fit into your life.
    Bunks

Exactly...they are meant to keep us on our toes..they are a form of training..not tests.
    Dont worry about it Bunks. The Japanese have a saying " Six times down..seven times up ".. ;)

No, they are not a from of training. They are legitimate goals that require training to achieve them.

• OK thats a good way of putting it.
    But I think you will probably agree that they are not tests to fail or pass. Those goals are not achieved overnight for most of us.
    Well, let's put it this way, if I occasionally falter on inappropriate speech, I don't consider it a failure. If I persistently faltered on intoxicating substances, I would consider that a failure.
  • Bunks said:

Not even sure what my intention was to be frank.

I like the discipline of these precepts but they are harder than I thought. Especially practising them alone.

Thanks for your feedback.......

It sounds like you were struck with some inspiration, and acted on impulse. They say it's better to take just one vow, and keep it, than to take all 5 (or whatever) precepts, and adhere to them inconsistently.

• That's interesting Vinylyn. I judge the amount of failure by who gets hurt. If I hurt someone with my words it is worse than drinking a beer every day at 5 pm to nobody's detriment (though possibly preventing me from learning to levitate!)
    vinlyn said:

Well, let's put it this way, if I occasionally falter on inappropriate speech, I don't consider it a failure. If I persistently faltered on intoxicating substances, I would consider that a failure.

Jeffrey said:

That's interesting Vinylyn. I judge the amount of failure by who gets hurt. If I hurt someone with my words it is worse than drinking a beer every day at 5 pm to nobody's detriment (though possibly preventing me from learning to levitate!)

Winning gives birth to hostility.
    Losing, one lies down in pain.
    The calmed lie down with ease,
    having set
    winning & losing
    aside.

win or lose, pass or fail.. all hindrances to our advancement :). Also just to add in yoda " do , or do not.. there is no try" LOL.
    mettanandoBunks
    Jeffrey said:

That's interesting Vinylyn. I judge the amount of failure by who gets hurt. If I hurt someone with my words it is worse than drinking a beer every day at 5 pm to nobody's detriment (though possibly preventing me from learning to levitate!)

I wasn't equating the 2. Actually 2 different examples.