Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Whatever 'practice' someone has, they cannot escape the reality of sickness, old age and death!!

So why not just 'accept' this reality and enjoy life before you do 'get sick, get old and eventually Die..?

What are you seeking?

(Genuine question)

Comments

• oceancaldera207oceancaldera207 Veteran
    edited January 2013
    it is difficult to responsibly answer this question without more context, especially the state of the questioner.
    For example; are you asking why others practice, why you, personally should or should not practice? What is your definition of practice?
    My general advice is to to analyze the mind that references the concepts: 'reality', 'life', 'sickness' 'old age' 'death', as well as the concepts themselves. It can be quickly ascertained that these concepts that are being referenced are amorphous, and that the mind which references them is in an apparent state of flux. This is a good starting point for understanding why we do what we do.

edited
  • You are not the skhandas. If you realize that then when your body is sick etc you will not throw kerosene on the flames and think that 'you' are sick.
  • ArthurbodhiArthurbodhi Mars Veteran
    Why enjoy life before? That states are intrinsic with life. When we born we start to get sick, get old and dying, that don't happens later in life.

If you what to enjoy life you need to do it meanwhile you are getting sick, getting old and dying. Not before. And is not so easy be so happy when we are sick. Practice is like a medicine to make life more easy so we can enjoying it better. :)
    Wisdom23
  • So why not just 'accept' this reality and enjoy life before you do 'get sick, get old and eventually Die..?
    Your reality, to be blunt, is not the only acceptable sense or understanding. Why should we not be more like you? Because, again apologies, we are trying to transcend, go beyond, overcome the condition of what Buddhists call 'ignorance'.
    What are you seeking?
    . . . the deathless, undying . . .
    (Genuine question)
    My assumption is I can provide a genuine answer. This may not be true. We all have the capacity to ask genuine questions but we must entertain the possibility that we have assumptions about our real or underlying motivation. The first stage in Buddhism is to recognise any value in any of its tenets. If for you there is no real comprehension or connection . . . Live long and prosper . . .

As Buddhists we recognise that we move towards unsatisfactory states. However we engage with a life path that enhances our capacities for fortune within mind, body and spirit. We boldly go . . .
    BhanteLuckynovaw0lfInvincible_summerWisdom23
  • zenmystezenmyste Veteran
    edited January 2013
    When i said 'before' i meant before we 'die'..

I agree that anything 'before' death, is all we have! So if we are sick - thats all we have .. If we are old - thats all we have!

So my question still arises; why not just accept this reality and enjoy life before we 'get sick and 'die' ?
    Wisdom23
  • zenmyste said:

So why not just 'accept' this reality and enjoy life before you do 'get sick, get old and eventually Die..?

What are you seeking?

(Genuine question)

Deathless state

• ArthurbodhiArthurbodhi Mars Veteran
    zenmyste said:

When i said 'before' i meant before we 'die'..

I agree that anything 'before' death, is all we have! So if we are sick - thats all we have .. If we are old - thats all we have!

So my question still arises; why not just accept this reality and enjoy life before we 'get sick and 'die' ?

The majority of people ignore that, they don't like to see, ear or think about any of that, for they that is disturbing. They know that they gonna get sick, get old and die intellectually, but actually don't accept it in an more depth way.

So, accept that reality is not something so easy to do. That require a profound change in how they see and live their life to accept that.

Maybe that is why people not just accept that and enjoy life.
  • So my question still arises; why not just accept this reality and enjoy life before we 'get sick and 'die' ?
    Because unlike you, we don't have that capacity. In reality, your enjoyment is very limited. It comes from your present being OK. If your present OK status is removed through, life, inevitable change etc., will you have the tools to be OK with it? Probably not as well as an experienced practitioner. This is what in part is meant by ignorance, or ignoring our underlying condition, which you have not overcome.
    I practice Buddhism to improve my situation. In that it is successful. Others will say the same. Nothing in, nothing out . . . a bit like life . . . the more in, the more out . . .

Hope this makes some small sense . . .
    Invincible_summer
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited January 2013
    I belief in rebirth and that there will be death again and again until I find a way out. So what I am seeking is the exit.
  • Sabre said:

I belief in rebirth and that there will be death again and again until I find a way out. So what I am seeking is the exit.

When you say rebirth, do you believe we are always re-born as humans' ??

If not, what would, say, a snail have to do to find the exit???
    lobster
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited January 2013
    I don't know, but luckily I'm not a snail.
    Invincible_summersukhitaWisdom23
  • zenmyste said:

What are you seeking?

(Genuine question)

I personally think you need to do some more studying and looking for yourself because it seems you do not understand some of the basics of Buddhist practice. Accepting life for what it actually is and understanding the true nature of reality happens to be one of the key aspects to Buddhism. Also we do not become robots without the ability to enjoy life, we just learn to enjoy the wiser parts of life in a wise manner.

As far as sickness, aging and death goes this is a really good place to look to help give you insight into life and what it entails. Yes it is inevitable that we will all get sick, age and die, but we can still do all of those things without mentally suffering. Sure physical pain will be present but we do not have to suffer because of it.
    Invincible_summer
  • novaw0lfnovaw0lf Veteran
    edited January 2013

zenmyste said:

As far as sickness, aging and death goes this is a really good place to look to help give you insight into life and what it entails. Yes it is inevitable that we will all get sick, age and die, but we can still do all of those things without mentally suffering. Sure physical pain will be present but we do not have to suffer because of it.

I concur. If I understand what it is that you're saying with this, aspects of mortality are exactly what make life beautiful. I quote Troy, starring Brad Pitt: "The Gods envy us. They envy us because we're mortal. Every day could be our last. Everything is more beautiful because we are doomed. You will never be lovelier than you are now. We will never be here again." --Achilles.

"It is only when we're closest to death, do we truly appreciate life." -The antagonist of the movie Leon/The Professional (I forget his name; IMDB.com is blocked in China).

• novaw0lf said:

zenmyste said:

I concur. If I understand what it is that you're saying with this, aspects of mortality are exactly what make life beautiful. I quote Troy, starring Brad Pitt: "The Gods envy us. They envy us because we're mortal. Every day could be our last. Everything is more beautiful because we are doomed. You will never be lovelier than you are now. We will never be here again." --Achilles.

"It is only when we're closest to death, do we truly appreciate life." -The antagonist of the movie Leon/The Professional (I forget his name; IMDB.com is blocked in China).

No I wasn't really suggesting that taking into account the morality of life makes it beautiful, I was suggesting that it is wise to have direct insight into such things as sickness, aging and death because when they occur (which they will), they will not be as much of a burden if at all. If you can see that the glass tumbler on your table as being already broken for example, when it breaks it will not be much of a disappointment. That is not to say one should be pessimistic, rather to be wise and accepting of the way things are.
    novaw0lfsukhita
    edited January 2013
    lobster said:

If your present OK status is removed through, life, inevitable change etc., will you have the tools to be OK with it? Probably not as well as an experienced practitioner. This is what in part is meant by ignorance, or ignoring our underlying condition, which you have not overcome.
    I practice Buddhism to improve my situation. In that it is successful. Others will say the same. Nothing in, nothing out . . . a bit like life . . . the more in, the more out . . .

Hope this makes some small sense . . .

This is a very interesting thing that I'd like to talk to you about, but I'm not sure if this is the right place (if it isn't, please let me know, and we can continue this in a private conversation, perhaps? I don't mean to be a thread hijacker.)

There is a scientific theory that I've read (though I cannot recall its source at the moment) that attempted to prove reincarnation via the Law of Conservation of Energy. In that, energy cannot be created or destroyed. That being said, if our consciousness is actually just a radiating field of 20-watt energy...when we die: what happens to us if we cannot be created or destroyed? We must change form, henceforth: reincarnation.

Following that logic, states of distress (like danger, sickness, etc.) are merely illusions, concepts created by our genes for our brains to react to for the sake of self-preservation. If energy can neither be created nor destroyed, then the core of who we are is never actually in any danger. In danger of change, maybe (which goes along with Buddhist theology and its theory of impermanence)...but not in the actual connotation of "death" that we as human beings so often attribute the term to.

So, in conclusion, if one were to realize that there is an innate invincibility within our impermanence (that we never actually die, but change), do you think that this could be a suitable thought-model for being able to live life in every breath, enabling us to live in the moment, regardless of whether danger, sickness, or life disturbance that we may face?
  • That being said, if our consciousness is actually just a radiating field of 20-watt energy...
    It is not. We actually die.
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    What I am seeking? Some peace and quiet, love, some good liquor and good company, solidarity.
    edited January 2013
    lobster said:

That being said, if our consciousness is actually just a radiating field of 20-watt energy...
    It is not. We actually die.
    All the more reason for the Gods to envy us, then. :coffee:
  • zenmyste said:

What are you seeking?

(Genuine question)

@zenmyste The whole point of being Buddhist is not to find an escape, it is the exact opposite. The point is not to ignore reality, but to not be ignorant of truth. So, by our practice we are trying to accept the realities of sickness, old age and death and to not fear it, but to appreciate all life has to offer. We ignore truth, because we misunderstand it and are scared of it and seek to escape it, but this creates suffering.
    So, to answer your question, the thing I am seeking is truth and mental freedom from suffering.

ThailandTomnovaw0lf
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    A person cannot avoid illness/injury, aging and death, but they can accept it. And truly understanding those states does lead one to appreciate the good times while they have them. That's is much of the point of my practice. I don't practice to become enlightened. I practice to accept and be ok (eventually anyhow, sometimes it takes a while to be ok with some things) with everything life throws at me, good and bad.
    ThailandTomnovaw0lfInvincible_summer
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    edited January 2013
    zenmyste said:

What are you seeking?

(Genuine question)

Whoever said that they "practice" to escape the reality of sickness, age, and death? :-/

And why do you assume that any sort of "practice" is equivalent to not accepting reality/not enjoying life?
    lobster
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    You can, it's that many fight it. It is easy to focus on wanting to escape, because this reality is simply, simple...
  • misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran
    zenmyste said:

@zenmyste: the whole purpose of any spiritual practice is to see things as 'just they are', by removing the ignorance, which covers our deluded mind. till ignorance is not removed, samsara continues - going about in the world in worldly ways - and not seeing the things as 'just they are', but seeing things as we think them they are.

so it is accepted that we will get sick, get old and eventually die - but the point is to know - why were we born?
    Invincible_summer
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran

but the point is to know - why were we born?

Oh my god... *spirals into a philosophical black hole*
    lobsterkarasti
  • misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran

but the point is to know - why were we born?

not really a philosophical black hole. as Ajahn Chah said - why do we eat? the answer is - so that we do not have to eat again. similarly why are we born? the answer is - so that we do not have to be born again. so the answer is simple. but to implement it practically is the tough part.
    Invincible_summer
  • but the point is to know - why were we born?

My mom liked her sports cars. ;)
    Invincible_summer
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    zenmyste said:

...why not just accept this reality and enjoy life before we 'get sick and 'die' ?

Looked at one way, that's the point of Buddhist practice.
    ZerolobsterInvincible_summer
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    zenmyste said:

Why not indeed... :)
    lobster
  • As Buddhists, we believe in reincarnation - that there is a future life. Therefore, if you just focus on 'enjoying' this life, which usually means focusing on meaningless pursuits of good food, holidays, relationships etc, then it is truly a waste of our precious human life.

I quote HE Tsem Rinpoche, who says, " When we wish to engage in dharma practice, in order for it to be genuine, take roots and really hit us deep in the core for us to make a fundamental shift in our attitudes, thinking and priorities we must reflect on IMPERMANENCE. We must in fact realize IMPERMANENCE… understanding it intellectually gets us not far. Realizing impermanence and how it pervades all existent phenomena is crucial. Without this realization, all further progress will be slow or nil.

If the realization of impermanence is not intellectual but arising from the core of our being then there would be many changes. There are clear signs and indications. Bad habits become good easily. Suppressing our egos would be a pleasure. Let others win would be the norm of the day. We would not spend our time acquiring wealth for wealth or reputation for reputation. We would not want to be entangled in attachments to food, fun, money, parties, relationships, children, fame, reputation and all that tie us down for years and yet get us nowhere. Really nowhere. Look at all the people who have it, yet it ends… No matter how famous, powerful, wealthy, attractive, intelligent we are, it all does not matter. The truth of birth, the truth of sickness, the truth of aging, the truth of death is what we carry within us. Avoiding or not thinking about it only furthers our samsaras.

Distracting ourselves now by having ‘fun’ or exploring samsara will lead to heavy regrets, and no time left to do anything in the end… death is not the end, as it is truly a passage to somewhere else. But whether the passage and the where we go is pleasant or not TOTALLY DEPENDS ON US NOW… it depends on our spiritual practice/results NOW. Eating, fame, love, money and reputation are only distractions that take us away from the inevitable that we have to face. Fear of death and impermanence is good, but we have to do something about it… whatever justifications we give for not doing dharma all the way can only fool others around us who know no better or are not willing to push more. Not pushing and procrastinations will never avoid the truths of impermanence and death… never procrastinate or simply not think about it. Think about it, face it, fear it and from this do something and soar… become attained…"
    lobster
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    Whatever 'practice' someone has, they cannot escape the reality of sickness, old age and death!!
    I disagree! That is only true if you continue to identify the 5 aggregates as "I, my, me, mine, myself".

But if you stop doing that, then you have in fact escaped sickness, old age and death!
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    seeker242 said:

I disagree! That is only true if you continue to identify the 5 aggregates as "I, my, me, mine, myself".

But if you stop doing that, then you have in fact escaped sickness, old age and death!

But the Buddha got sick, old and died.

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    He did, but did he suffer the same way we do over it? Did he wake up disappointed with every wrinkle he gained, did he feel sorry for himself when he became sick? I think he probably dealt with it in a very different manner than we do-one lacking fear.

@sharonsaw you have to be cautious in saying things like "As Buddhists we believe in reincarnation." Because not all Buddhists believe in it, or know how they feel about it. Not all Buddhist believe the same things outside of the 4NT and N8FP.
  • @karasti Not all Buddhists believe in reincarnation? Ok, that one is completely new to me :) i thought that believing in reincarnation was the cornerstone of Buddhism. which schools don't?