Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Developing Concentration

TakuanTakuan Veteran
edited February 2013 in Buddhism Basics
Hello all,

I recently came across some meditation advice in a book entitled "The Chan Handbook" by Husan Hua. I highly recommend it as it's full of great information. I'd like to share two of the techniques for the development of concentration presented in the book.

The first is focusing on your body's center of gravity/spiritual center. In Chinese, this is called the "dan tien". It is located just behind the navel, according to the book. In stead of focusing on the breath at the nostrils or the upper lip, try focusing on your center. Let your breathing take care of itself, and simply focus on you dan tien/hara.

The second is reciting nienfo/nembutsu. In stead of focusing on the breath, simply recite "namo amitofo" or "namu amida butsu". I've been experimenting with this method for a few weeks now, and my powers of concentration during meditation have steadily grown. If you don't know how to say the nienfo, I have provided two videos.

How to achieve single pointed concentration via reciting Buddhas name

Reciting Buddhas name verbally or mindfully

Hope this helps!

What do you all do to develop concentration?

Comments

• Awesome.

I do a similar technique called 12
    Fold body breathing. Its a mahamudra technique done sitting down and laying down.

One breathes and the navel jets forward and air fills up like a vase into the chest and throat. Then breathing out the throat and lungs clear and the navel point is pulled towards the spine and then the anal sphincter is clenched and all the air is squeezed out.

This is great to balance out the energies and when there is overall hinderances at play in practice.

:)
    Takuan
  • Nembutsu :) Sometimes the entire Namu Amida Butsu, but lately I've been experimenting and simply chanting (or reciting silently depending on the situation. No chanting out loud on the bus, lol) 'Amida' once with every breath. This seems to work the best for me. The book 'Taming the Monkey Mind' has lots of different recitation techniques and is very useful. I got the kindle version (I don't think it cost much), though the formatting of the text is a bit odd.
    Takuan
  • BhanteLuckyBhanteLucky Alternative lifestyle person in the South Island of New Zealand New Zealand Veteran
    I just choose any one thing and focus my attention steadily on it.
    No tricks, no fancyness, no energies, no complicated shite, just pay attention to one thing and stick with it.
    Takuan
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited February 2013

I occasionally revert to the focusing on my breath in times when I feel consistently scattered. I'll do this in both formal meditation and daily life but I try to also remain mindful of the difference between concentration & meditation. While concentration is an essential aid to meditation, the control it offers has often been my back door invite to an ego party in spiritual attire.
    Takuan
  • black_tea said:

Nembutsu :) Sometimes the entire Namu Amida Butsu, but lately I've been experimenting and simply chanting (or reciting silently depending on the situation. No chanting out loud on the bus, lol) 'Amida' once with every breath. This seems to work the best for me. The book 'Taming the Monkey Mind' has lots of different recitation techniques and is very useful. I got the kindle version (I don't think it cost much), though the formatting of the text is a bit odd.

Yeah, I considered buying it, but the text is kinda weird.

I just choose any one thing and focus my attention steadily on it.
    No tricks, no fancyness, no energies, no complicated shite, just pay attention to one thing and stick with it.

Great! It's awesome that you're able to have such concentration! I really wouldn't consider anything mentioned here as "fancy shite" though. I actually found all of the responses interesting!
    how said:

While concentration is an essential aid to meditation, the control it offers has often been my back door invite to an ego party in spiritual attire.

That's an awesome point, how.

• SabreSabre Veteran
    edited February 2013
    I don't think concentration is an adequate word for the original term samadhi. I can concentrate hard as a rock, but it won't be anything like meditation at all. I may follow every breath or mantra word, still not feel peaceful. So what's the use of that? ... Not much. I can also concentrate on things that don't have anything to do with Buddhism, like a game of solitaire.. again.. not much use in that, obviously.

Some translate samadhi with 'stillness', which seems better to me. At the very least, it gets around some wrong ideas some people may have of meditation. To still the mind (rather than to concentrate it), yes, a mantra can help. Surely, following the breath at another point can too.

But to get to the question, another technique may be counting breaths or silently noting when the mind wanders. Just say to yourself 'thinking' or 'drifting' or whatever feels correct, and kindly let the mind get itself back to the meditation object. Or taking another object, like metta, or a body scan. Even reflection on the Dhamma. There are many different tools you can work with. I pick whatever tool fits the job at the time.

With metta,
    Sabre
    Takuan
  • lobsterlobster Crusty Veteran
    gently focused but not uptight . . .
    I tend to use the elemental meditation used in some esoteric schools
    http://yinyana.tumblr.com/post/31454196568/elements
    There are variations but all are available for study, much in the way some churches contain the 'invisible' transmission in the building itself, so stupas contain a meditation practice . . .

At the moment I am doing a free aro meditation course which uses the breath counting technique familiar as vipassana, very much a gentle reminding of the breath.
    http://aromeditation.org/ :wave:
    Takuan