Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

New to buddhism

Sadly, the closest center that teaches buddhism to me is a 3-hour drive. I've learned a great deal on the basics of Buddhism; however, I would like to further understand and follow a good beginners guide relating to the eight-fold path. A step by step introduction to each of the eight paths with practical exercises. Can anyone recommend to me a good book etc that might help me on the path?

Comments

• SephSeph Veteran
    edited March 2013
    Between my lack of time because of my work, my wife's business, my family, and a lack of any practical teachers or teaching centres I'm in the same situation.

Mind you, I'm not Buddhist (and am not looking to become - or 'convert' to Buddhism).
    I think I'm more of a pluralist. (Heavy leanings towards Buddhism/Taoism... maybe even gnosticism, depending how one defines it).

Guess my post isn't really helpful, is it?
    :(
    Invincible_summer
  • I was introduced to Buddhism and meditation classes through a local UU (Unitarian Universalist) group. So I'd suggest first, don't neglect "non-Buddhist" sources like this for group meditation. However, don't pay for such overhyped meditation courses as TM. So a search to see what's available around you.
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    Life is the best practical exercise for the eightfold path. It is a lifelong practice. They are pretty self-explanatory but putting them into practice in every day life is the challenge. It takes lots of practice :) For this life time and many others.

Thich Nhat Hahn has a great book called "The Heart of the Buddha's Teachings" that does a good job explaining the basics, and he puts a lot of exercises in his books as well. He writes some very good meditation and mindfulness books with exercises in them, too. With "The Heart of the Buddha's Teachings" I ended up reading some, and then putting it down for a while. When I tried to read all the way through, later in the book it became too much information for me. I needed to grasp the earlier parts of the book before I could move on and understand.
    riverflowchela
  • misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran
    edited March 2013
    i am not a Buddhist, rather a Hindu. i have not gone to any Buddhist center till now, nor even tried to find one because of no time for searching and going to a Buddhist center. even not bought a single book on Buddha's teachings till now. but thanks to internet and all the available online pdf files, which i have read over the last 1.5 years, lead me to try to understand Buddha's teachings. then there are videos on Dhamma talks given by Ajahn Brahm, Ajahn Chah's teachings also available.

what i have read about Buddha's teachings till now in the last 1.5 years is - 4 noble truths, 3 characteristics of anicca(impermanence), dukkha(unsatisfactoriness) and anatta(not-self or not-mine), 8-fold path, 5 aggregates, dependent origination.

after getting a basic understanding about the above teachings, the important thing is not to read about these things , but rather to practice it. To practice, just sit mindfully in meditation and when not doing meditation, try to be mindful enough to notice how the mind proliferates upon sense-contacts. Buddha's teachings say - craving and clinging leads to suffering, ending of craving leads to ending of suffering. Samsara is the projection of mind. So everything comes down to mind, which is inside our body, which needs to be trained to get it rid of defilements of greed, hatred and delusion. So we need not to go anywhere, rather wherever we are and be it any time, we can start to train our minds to start walking on the 8-fold path by developing sila(virtue), which will lead to samadhi(stillness), which will lead to panna(wisdom). Patience and non-attachment are needed to keep on walking on the 8-fold path, till it reaches its peak, where the unconditioned can be experienced.
    Dandelion
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    @beginner36 - This is a great site with lots of info for newcomers to Buddhism.
  • The eightfold path doesn't even start until right view. Until then it is just ordinary self help. Some books can help transmit right view.. More importantly is to start a meditation class.
  • I'd recommend this book, called "The Living Buddha Within".

Within the general chaos that is our daily lives, there is a perspective where everything falls into place and finally makes sense. H.E. Tsem Rinpoche brings this perspective through explaining the mechanism of life based on the fundamental principles of Buddhism. In his characteristically logical and down-to-earth manner, Rinpoche introduces the vast topics of reincarnation and karma in a way that anyone can understand. He also provides easily applicable guidelines on how we can immediately unlock the liberating powers within us to lead a happy and harmonious life, simply by finding the living Buddha within each and every one of us.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator

Sadly, the closest center that teaches buddhism to me is a 3-hour drive. I've learned a great deal on the basics of Buddhism; however, I would like to further understand and follow a good beginners guide relating to the eight-fold path. A step by step introduction to each of the eight paths with practical exercises. Can anyone recommend to me a good book etc that might help me on the path?

You might want to check out Access to Insight, especially this section of "The Path to Freedom: A Self-guided Tour of the Buddha's Teachings" and Ajahn Lee's The Path to Peace and Freedom for the Mind.
  • Can anyone recommend to me a good book etc that might help me on the path?
    You!
    You are a book.
    You can learn to read yourself by doing an online meditation course such as:
    http://aromeditation.org/

you can get past the first gate
    http://www.liberationunleashed.com/

You can read
    http://blpusa.com/category/buddhism-in-every-step/page/5

You can write a journal. You are now booked in.
    :wave:
  • *should read meditation practice. I have never taken a class.
  • As someone suggested, meditation is probably one of the first things you need to practice. I drive around 10 miles to a store that sells a lot of items and actually has free meditation gatherings along with more information afterwards to those who are rather new to it.
  • Thanks so much for all the responses. I plan to look at many of these options. Such a beautiful community.
    Bunks