Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Evolution

BunksBunks Australia Veteran
edited March 2013 in General Banter
I am starting to think that Buddhism (or some similar practice) is the next step in the evolution of man (and woman).

Anyone else think the same?
blu3reeThailandTom

Comments

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Are you referring to Darwin-type evolution? If so, no, that is a biologic process.

If you mean from an emotional/psychological standpoint, then I would still say no since I would guess that many people of different religions would say the same about their faith.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

One thought is that we are actually in the matrix except instead of being used by the machines we are being used by karma? Yup.. we could all just be Karma drones!

or...

what you hope is a human evolution is actually for the benefit of the microbes and virus that utilize us as bio spheres. Yup, we could also just be mobile terrariums!

And Buddhism is just a twist of truth that offers us poor taxi cabs a chance at retirement, or it might be a program to keep a portion of these vehicles from driving too self destructively.

Little vehicles with big dreams..
    stavros388blu3ree
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    Bunks said:

I
    Buddhism (or some similar practice) is the next step in the evolution of man (and woman).

Off the top of my head, this presents a number of challenges.
    It supposes that the things we think are important.
    It supposes that these things are a summit of sorts.
    It supposes that there is a 'next step', in that linear progression is undisputable.
    It supposes parity between evolution of concepts and Darwin's survival of the fittest evolution.
    It supposes that we as men and women would survive an evolution and remain as men and women.

The challenge is the number of suppositions added to an otherwise supposition filled day!
  • chelachela Veteran
    This is not really answering your question, but I just saw an article somewhere (was it Time?) about how technology IS changing our brains and that this is how we actually are evolving (biologically and mentally, I guess). I need to go find that article...
  • Probly a little off topic but here it goes I read an article about quadruple helix DNA being found in humans recently. Also that the moon is gaining an atmosphere and earth is loosing it's magnetism at like 40miles every so often that airports near Alaska had to start changing their runway layouts.

On dr. Oz he showed the mind of a meditation practitioner and the whole brain was lit up as opposed to a worldly man who's brain in the middle was dormant.
  • Bunks said:

I am starting to think that Buddhism (or some similar practice) is the next step in the evolution of man (and woman).

How high are you? :lol:

I know where you are coming from in some sort of way I guess. basically if we were to all be wiser to how the mind operates, to be more compassionate etc, we would be a better species overall and thus would have evolved in the sense of improving? More and more people are turning to this type of spirituality now in the west as it is not seen as a religion as much, so you have atheists who accept certain aspects of Buddhism but they do not follow say the 5 precepts or even acknowledge them.
  • chelachela Veteran
    @ThailandTom really- atheists don't follow the five precepts? I've considered myself an atheist most of my life, but I've always had a deep sense of right and wrong when it comes to murder, stealing, lying, etc. Actually, one thing I've thought about, as an atheist, is that one of the main functions of religion is to ensure people are doing the "right" things. And this is also why I didn't see a need to follow a religion (really, I'm mostly referring to Christianity), because I already saw the value of doing the "right" (moral) things.
    vinlynriverflow
  • chela said:

@ThailandTom really- atheists don't follow the five precepts? I've considered myself an atheist most of my life, but I've always had a deep sense of right and wrong when it comes to murder, stealing, lying, etc. Actually, one thing I've thought about, as an atheist, is that one of the main functions of religion is to ensure people are doing the "right" things. And this is also why I didn't see a need to follow a religion (really, I'm mostly referring to Christianity), because I already saw the value of doing the "right" (moral) things.

I was writing really quickly but I did not mean every atheist of course. I am sure there are many hundreds of thousands of people more noble and virtuous than me who are an atheist. Sorry for the misunderstanding Chela.
  • chelachela Veteran
    @ThailandTom, it is no big deal. I just saw a generalization that I didn't understand.
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    blu3ree said:

I read an article about quadruple helix DNA being found in humans recently.

On dr. Oz he showed the mind of a meditation practitioner and the whole brain was lit up as opposed to a worldly man who's brain in the middle was dormant.

This is sort of what I meant when I was pointing towards linear progression - so 2 is better than 1 and 3 is better than 2 and infinity must be the best of all...

QuadhelixDNA has been around for a long time though not observed in human cells as a stable structure - it has been formed in labs and observed as a transitory structure most often when cells are dividing - it is a sort of lockstep of sorts in certain types of cell division - I believe the recent discovery in human cells was an observation of the structure in cancer cells - there is likely a link between fast dividing uncontrolled cancer cells and the appearance of a transitory structure in what appears to be a more stable form - the way it was observed was by highlighting the G-base pairs (appearing in quads) - this means that it is only that part that was highlighted... very early days.

This doesnt seem to lend too well to quadhelixDNA being better than doublehelixDNA - or say more evolved - or that 4 is better than 2 or that going from 2 to 4 itself is progress.

Not too sure about the whole brain dormant thing - I remember when I was in school, the general quote was that around 90% of the brain is unused - neuroscience has shown this is not an accurate statement - quite apart from the uses that have been observed since, there is also a strand that is looking at the place of zero or silence in this process - so a neuron fires = 1 (something happens and it is used) or a neuron doesnt fire = 0 (nothing happens and it is not used) - so there is work on establishing how the 1 and the 0 interact - another words, that 1 and 0 both mean something rather than 1 being something and 0 nothing.
    person
  • @zero yea I just read the article I didn't really comprehend what the meaning was.

The one thing that seemed to stick was that the quadhelix might cause less maneuverability for those things to roam around which might cause problems with blockages.

Seems to me like science nowadays takes 4 steps back for every half step forward.
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    blu3ree said:

Seems to me like science nowadays takes 4 steps back for every half step forward.

:D the mysteries certainly do seem to deepen...! the books written around the victorian era are brilliant - they are written very much with the view that science will have a complete explanation of everything very shortly - there was a point where the general view was that all of physics was understood so we could move on to something else!

I sometimes think of my Grandma - she passed away before the internet hit the public consciousness - what a different view of the world she had and how things changed not much more than a couple of years after her passing - would she recognise the new habits now?

I chuckle knowing that around 2 weeks after my death, someone somewhere will discover that everything I ever said or thought in my whole life was a crock of sh*t!!

'But it seemed so true'... never thought I'd find my epitath on a random Tuesday! :D
    Zero said:

:D the mysteries certainly do seem to deepen...! the books written around the victorian era are brilliant - they are written very much with the view that science will have a complete explanation of everything very shortly - there was a point where the general view was that all of physics was understood so we could move on to something else!

I saw this very much in the field of geology/geography. William Morris Davis is probably the most famous of the great "physical geographers". He worked largely in the field of geomorphology (landforms), and was out of Harvard. He is sometimes called the the "father of American geography". Brilliant work because he had a talent for his observational skills and his ability to develop them into concepts that were most often pretty much on target. He was around at the turn of the century.

But, to some extent, it was the next generation of geographers who proved most of Davis' work, because they took it to the next step. But nevertheless, it was Davis (like Darwin) who pointed out the direction, and so I give that generation of scientists the most credit.

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    I guess I mean it more from a psychological point of view.

In the past we were like almost all other animals and just acted on our instincts (with no ability to think about the effect it had on others).

Now, as we evolve, we seem to be able to do that.......

I dunno, I'm just babbling. Too much coffee!!!! :eek2:
  • SephSeph Veteran
    Bunks said:

I believe cosmic evolution leads to chemical evolution leads to biological evolution leads to cultural evolution. (Physiosphere to Biosphere to Noosphere).

I believe mankind will take the next step and evolve. I think aspects of Buddhism might be present.
    Bunks
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    Not sure if this is on point or not but in the past humans were much more spread out and different groups would compete with each other and there were winners and losers. A 'tribe' could defeat another and victory would largely be a positive for that group.

Today we are much more crowded and interconnected so when one group loses it has some effect on the rest.

I think if we are to survive and thrive as a global society we have to learn to get along and live in cooperation instead of competition. So in that social aspect I think the values taught in many of the spiritual traditions that promote harmony and well being are a needed step forward for humanity.
    ThailandTom
  • DaftChrisDaftChris Spiritually conflicted. Not of this world. Veteran
    edited March 2013
    Sort of.

I certainly believe that peoples spirituality is becoming more abstract (Pantheism, Panentheism, Deism, Mysticism ,etc.) and that more people are adopting eastern religions. However, I don't think they'll be the majority anytime soon (at least not for another lifetime or so) and I don't think one particular religion/philosophy will take precedence over another.
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    More and more people are losing "religion" in favor of spirituality. I've read articles from those who think this is bad, but I've read the opposite as well. I don't think it is a bad thing. I think some religions are more about clinging to the life raft, so to speak, than others and people are starting to move away from that need. More people are realizing we don't need someone with a special connection to God (or whatever) and that we can connect in our own ways to whatever is important to us. I think spirituality is evolving, and people who are seeking it are looking for guidance away from the life raft (the more strict and closed minded religions). More so upgrading from the life raft to arm floaties (more open religions). Eventually we'll move past the arm floaties as well and just be independent swimmers in the great ocean of spirituality.

I've had too many jelly beans I think, lol.
    I do think that "blind faith" is becoming less common. More people are asking hard questions.

But I don't see that as anything to do with scientific evolution.