Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Thinking of taking the 8 precepts this full moon, but...

So I'm still debating it, but I feel like it'd be a really good experience to take the eight precepts, at least once - to devote myself to completely eliminating frivolity, almost like living the life of a nun, even for just a day.

I'm pretty excited about this. However, I think I may have a problem with eating only one meal a day. I have problems with my blood sugar where if I go without food for more than, say, 4 hours, my blood sugar gets so low that I get very shaky and, if it's severe enough, on the verge of passing out. (I've talked to my doctor about it but she didn't really tell me anything except to eat more. Thanks a lot...)

My question is this - because following that particular precept could prove basically impossible for me, am I not cut out to take the eight precepts? Can I perhaps eat one real meal in the morning and maybe have snacks throughout the day? Should I just throw out that precept completely, as people have told me certain monastics do that anyway?

Any opinions would be helpful. Thank you.

Comments

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    Hi @darkprincess128 - good luck!

I attempted this for a day a while ago too. Have a look at the comments in the post below - there were some thoughts that you could eat / drink certain things after midday.

http://newbuddhist.com/discussion/17666/the-eight-precepts#latest
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited March 2013
    I suggest checking out these two recent threads: Is it okay to practice Uposatha only partly? and The 8 precepts. Beyond that, it should also be noted that there are exceptions to this precept in the case of illness and the like, at least as far as the monastic vinaya is concerned, which allows the consumption of certain tonics and medicines after noon whenever one feels ill, run down, or tired. (I also address this somewhat here, if you're interested.)
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    edited March 2013
    If it is medically indicated, monks who take many more precepts still "break" them to stay healthy. If you have chronic low blood sugar, that is hypoglycemia and it is a health risk. Treating it requires regular carb intake. Plan ahead and take what you need on a regular basis and leave it at that. It isn't worth risking your health just to maintain precepts. Your brain uses carbs to function. If you get too low on blood glucose, you can pass out, and go into a coma. It is a life threatening condition if it gets that far. Simply plan ahead and take care of yourself. Doing all this wonderful practice and taking precepts means nothing if your brain cannot function.

If it was me, I would try to plan meals and snacks ahead of time. Make sure you are practicing mindful cooking and eating, and focus on really healthy foods, like healthy veggies and fruits and nuts.
    Bunks
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    My attitute towards questions like that is that your practicing the Middle Way. If it's going to cause pain and effect your health then eat just don't indulge.

That is my opinion I'm no Dhamma teacher.
    vinlyn
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    Someone said on here roughly 'The precepts are to prevent one from making bad decisions due to attachment'.
  • I read all the threads and the like that were posted here. Thank you guys for your help!

I'm going to talk to the teacher at my temple about it as well when I go to services on Sunday, but I think I just observe seven of the eight precepts. Perhaps one day my health will be at a level where I can fast and not have problems. Thank you all again.
  • chelachela Veteran
    Be careful with fasting. I have hypoglycemia, too. Blacking out is no fun and you could possibly do some kind of permanent damage. Remember that the Buddha wants you to use good judgment for yourself.
    riverflow
  • chela said:

Be careful with fasting. I have hypoglycemia, too. Blacking out is no fun and you could possibly do some kind of permanent damage. Remember that the Buddha wants you to use good judgment for yourself.

Do you have any advice for me regarding the eight precepts?
  • There are a lot of schools of Buddhism. Most do not prevent you from eating multiple meals during the day. Just saying :)