Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

VIDEO: ANOTHER LANKAN MONK ATTACKED IN TAMIL NADU

Rabid elements in Tamilnadu , India obfuscating issues and indulge in violence

Comments

• BhanteLuckyBhanteLucky Alternative lifestyle person in the South Island of New Zealand New Zealand Veteran
    edited March 2013
    As bad as it is to attack anyone, not just a Buddhist monk, I can see why the Indian students are angry. I don't identify with or agree with them however.
    Some Sri Lankan Buddhist leaders firmly supported the war against the Tamils, and the rioters don't care to know the difference between a racist nationalist monk from the JHU party, and a regular monk.

This is what is happening in Tamil Nadu at the moment, to spur this attack:
    Thousands of students across the southern Indian state of Tamil Nadu have launched protests, including hunger strikes, to press India on Sri Lanka.

Specifically, they want India to move a resolution in a United Nation’s human rights forum later this month against its southern island neighbor for Sri Lanka’s alleged war crimes against Tamils.

Over the past week, students across the state have been pressing for an independent international probe against the Sri Lankan government for alleged human rights violations in the aftermath of the 2009 civil war that led to the killing by the army of rebel leader Velupillai Prabhakaran and many of his followers in the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/up-to-40000-civilians-died-in-sri-lanka-offensive-1897865.html

Sri Lanka has denied allegations of human rights violations and said it will oppose any resolution against its army.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    Never harm a monk or Nun.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    federica said:

caz said:

Excuse me??
    Never harm ANYBODY!!

Especially a Monk or a Nun.
    NirvanaInvincible_summer
  • This is why it's a bad idea for monks to get directly involved in messy political conflicts including in this case running for office as monks. It's even more disturbing to find out these monks, when in office, are passing legislation against people converting Buddhists to other religions and banning the selling of meat on Buddhist holidays.

And now they've opened the entire sangha up political and ethnic driven violence. Politics and religion are a deadly combination no matter what religion.
    chelariverflow
  • this type of hatred happen across borders
    and religion.

during the war against tamil tigers, some sri lankan
    buddhists treated the tamils cruelly.

Tanda said:

Rabid elements in Tamilnadu , India obfuscating issues and indulge in violence

• chelachela Veteran
    There is never a separation of church and state. Where there is a government, there are people in power. And people have agendas, be they of religious doctrine or something else. People in power tend to skew religious ideology (for lack of a better word) into something that promotes their own agenda and keeps them in power, whether those ideologies are Muslim, Christian, or Buddhist, it doesn't matter.
  • TandaTanda Explorer
    Buddhism always got beaten. Tibet is a tearful contemporary history. Afganistan Buddha statue is a painful memory.

I understand ' NEVER HARM ANYBODY' But does it mean keep yourself vulnerable to arttack? Is it the same Buddhism of Bodhisatava that gave rise to Kungfu and Karate?. These martial art practitioners never harmed anybody but no one dare to touch them.

That is why I feel a formidable combo of staunch Buddhism and stern Kungfu grade will power and strength to quell evil doers in society is needed. Needed for rulers. Rulers have to be principled but cannot afford to be weak.

The trouble with Indian govt is weak and unprincipled leaders dependent on vote bank politics, many of their partners themselves criminals. A country with solid foundations of democracy and working institutions have become helpless even tp protect a Buddhist monk, let along gangrape victims in public places.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    caz said:

federica said:

caz said:

Excuse me??
    Never harm ANYBODY!!

Especially a Monk or a Nun.
    I would never differentiate. I suspect the Monk or Nun would be horrified if I did.
    They're only human after all.

And I've met a couple of nuns myself whom I could cheerfully have kicked in the shins more than once.

CittaInvincible_summer
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    federica said:

And I've met a couple of nuns myself whom I could cheerfully have kicked in the shins more than once.

you have expeted something from them and 'that' was not there
    your mind got agitated
    you felt like kike

where is the fault dear federica?

with them
    or
    with ..?

:)
  • TheEccentricTheEccentric Hampshire, UK Veteran
    These people are idiots whatever the reason there actions are barbaric, there is no excuse for behaving like an animal.
  • BhanteLuckyBhanteLucky Alternative lifestyle person in the South Island of New Zealand New Zealand Veteran
    Tanda said:

....staunch Buddhism ...

@Tanda, could you explain what you mean by staunch Buddhism?
  • TandaTanda Explorer
    I meant committed and not casual interest in Buddhism. Practice not just academic interest.