Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Can you explain Shambala? The path of the fierce Bodhisattva?

JayjayJayjay Veteran
edited March 2013 in Philosophy
I've met someone who told me he is on the path of Shambala Buddhism, or the path of the fierce Bodhisattva. Does anyone know about this? I realize kind of what it is based around but do not fully understand, any explanation would be nice. Also, how does Shambala, and the fierce Bodhisattva vary from the generic precepts of Buddhism, and the generic understanding of life most Buddhists perceive? Thank you and love to all! :D

Comments

• I used to go to a shambhala centre twice a week, after work to meditate. Was never interested in the flower arranging and other classes available
    http://www.shambhala.org/shambhala-training.php
    Jayjay
  • Four yana. Shambala vision is the dzogchen vision. This is the total human potential actualized in every instant. Basically full buddhahood.
    Jayjay
  • Read Chogyam Trungpa, the Sacred Path of the Warrior.
    Jayjay
  • TakuanTakuan Veteran
    Shambhala is basically a branch of the Kagyu and Nyingma lineages that has been secularized to a degree. In fact, my teacher calls it "Secularized Tibetan Buddhism". Within the community, Shambhala is known as "The Path of the Warrior", because it's believed that being able to face one's mind and open one's heart are acts of true bravery. I have yet to hear of "The Fierce Bodhisattva" path in regards to Shambhala.

Shambhala Buddhists are typical Tibetan Buddhists. We take the same vows as other Tibetan Traditions, with the only exception being the "Shambhala Vow".

Shambhala tantric practices are from both the Kagyu and Nyingma lineages, and, during the first few years of the community, it was not uncommon to have lamas from those lineages perform initiations.

The goal of Shambhala is the promotion of an enlightened society, and in that way is similar to the Humanistic Buddhism groups like Tzu Chi.
    Invincible_summerJayjayLucy_Begood
  • JayjayJayjay Veteran
    Thank you very much! @Takuan could you give me more information on the "Shambhala Vow"?
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche ( who was my first teacher ) felt that there should be a way of approaching Dharma for westerners who were sceptical about all religious forms..so he created Shambala.
    This was never posited as an alternative to the Vajrayana..it was presented as an approach in its own right to sit alongside formal Vajrayana, specifically Kagyu, presentations of Buddhadharma.
    TakuanJayjay
  • TakuanTakuan Veteran
    The Shambhala Vow, as already mentioned, is specific to the tradition. If you've read any of the literature associated with Shambhala, you've no doubt come across the term "Basic Goodness". One can see this as sort of a simplified version of Buddha Nature. It shares the same qualities as Buddha Nature and is used almost interchangeably (depending on the teacher sometimes exclusively) in the tradition. The Shambhala Vow is basically stating that one will try to see basic goodness in everything (himself, others, society etc.)
    JeffreyJayjay