Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Researching the right path

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to find the right path for their buddhist studies? How do you know if Vajrayana,Theravada, Zen, etc is the right one for you? I feel overwhelmed with options. Anyone care to lend me a cheat sheet of sorts?

Comments

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    The wikipedia entry on Buddhism gives a very nice overview. I'd start with something like that, and when some particular nugget of information interests you, I'd go from there and see where the interesting nuggets lead you -- probably closing some doors and opening others.
  • Thanks, vinlyn. I really don't trust wikipedia for information that often, but it is a starting point.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Wikipedia is not the be-all and end-all, of course. But I find it gives just as good overviews as any place.
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    From my experience, going to a real-life group is the best way to know. Find out which traditions interest you/resonate with you the most, then check out if there's a group near you and go.

Also, don't worry about committing to a tradition. Your spiritual needs & direction will likely change over time and you may find yourself switching teachers or traditions. That's fine too.
    lobster
  • JimyoJimyo Explorer
    The important thing would be not to worry which school is right for you at this stage. Just read up on things and you'll naturally be drawn to whatever you're drawn to. I find www.buddhanet.net useful whether you're just starting your journey or wishing to further it. Best of luck and don't forget you've got a wonderful and supportive sangha (group) on this site. :)
    lobster
  • Thank you, everyone!