Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Terrible. iPod stolen in Italy.

MontrealMonkMontrealMonk Explorer
edited May 2013 in General Banter
Thought i'd come here to share a little story that happened to me. I just arrived back to Montreal on Saturday afternoon from a 2 week trip in Italy. Toured a lot of the country, it was beautiful.

After having been there for 7 days, i was walking in downtown Bari (south) taking a video of this building on my new iPod 5, when all of a sudden, out of nowhere, i felt this hand brush against mine. Next thing i knew, my iPod was gone, and some young fool started running away. At first i thought it was a joke, but once i saw him start running, i knew this was no joke, lol

I was with my pregnant fiance, so i really had to think fast. I decided i wanted my iPod back, as i already had 7 days of pics and vids from the trip. (close to 1250 in all) - well, i started bolting after him. I am a very fast runner but this guy was LIGHTENING fast. I chased him for 4 entire streets, yelling as i was chasing him, in HOPES of there being cops at one of the intersections. But just my luck, no police to be found anywhere, and all the people who stood watch did absolutely nothing in trying to help, or stop this guy.

After 4 streets, i looked back and my pregnant fiance was nowhere to be seen, so i decided to stop chasing, and take the loss. I got screwed, plain and simple. It was what it was. Another victim. Well, who knows if this guy needed to feed his family, or needed to feed his drug addiction. Whatever it was, it sucked for me, lol - then i thought: what if i did catch him, what would have happened? I would have tackled him? We would have fought? Just a really nasty situation. It was probably all meant to be. He knew exactly when to snatch it, and he knew there would have been no cops down the street he took off on. I'm sure he does this multiple times a day, or week.

It took me 24 hrs to get over the whole situation, but since i couldn't really care for material things, i said forget it.
I went to Apple (in Italy), in hopes of buying a new one, but the iPod 5 was 329 euros - i said NO THANKS, lol. When i got back to Montreal i found a brand new in the box one for 270$ Canadian, cash through Kijiji.

Life is funny like that.
PS: a few people on the plane ride back to Canada also got robbed while in Italy.

Europe is in really bad shape. Sucks...i wonder how long it will take for all this garbage to arrive in Canada. I know the USA is pretty hard up as well, but wow. It's a sad state of affairs.

Thanks for listening :)

Comments

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    I know this is going to sound like an exaggeration, but honest to goodness it's not. Every person I have personally known who spent any significant tourist time in Italy or Portugal has gotten robbed. Mostly little stuff. Pocketbooks, wallets, passports. But it seems to be a real problem.
    Invincible_summer
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    I'm sorry you got robbed, what a terrible thing to experience.
    On the brighter side, you had the money to replace your ipod and take the trip to begin with. I hope you enjoyed the rest of your trip at least! If things economically are so bad that people have to steal to make a living, then at least we can consider ourselves thankful that we do not feel a need to live that way. I have a friend from MN who has lived in Italy for the past 15 years, and she has commented many times about how bad things have gotten. People get desperate when the means to support themselves disappear.
    SillyPuttymithril
  • When I was a kid we lived in Napoli for three years (I was a navy brat). Our car, a wee Fiat 126 was stolen right from the car park of our apartment complex. That was in 1979. And it wasn't the only time things would go missing or get stolen from us our others we knew. I'm not sure if things have gotten worse there--seems like it has always been that way there!

But I still loved it there. They were the best three years of my childhood.
  • Yup, i most def enjoyed the remainder of the trip. But like i said, i was SHOOK for about 24hrs. It's like it was a bad dream, lol - but then forgot about it not long after. Once you put things into perspective (ie: they have gotten so desperate in Europe) then you can understand why they do these things. I'm just glad my fiture wife, future baby, and I are all ok. Just sucks that it had to happen to me, lol. Oh well.

Thanks for chiming in with the comments :)
  • riverflow said:

When I was a kid we lived in Napoli for three years (I was a navy brat). Our car, a wee Fiat 126 was stolen right from the car park of our apartment complex. That was in 1979. And it wasn't the only time things would go missing or get stolen from us our others we knew. I'm not sure if things have gotten worse there--seems like it has always been that way there!

Naples/Sicily are the mafia cities of the world.
    But I agree, a beautiful country. Especially when you speak the language like i do.
    In any case, the Amalfi Coast just blew me away. Out of this world. If i ever go back, it will be to stay in Amalfi. Just breathtaking, to say the least.
    riverflow
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    Tourists in any part of the world are fair game. Thieves are trained to look for the signs of foreigners doing a bit of sight-seeing. The tourists almost always have money and expensive cameras, ipods, etc. on them. You also don't know the area and probably don't even know the language. The world is full of predators. I'm glad that was all that got taken.
    Invincible_summerSillyPutty
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    Dang, that sucks! I know how you feel. It wasn't in Italy, but I had my iPod stolen as well.

Barcelona is considered to be the "pickpocket capital" of Europe. My friend had her wallet, passport, camera, and tickets to the Running of the Bulls in Pamplona, Spain stolen from her during a bag-snatching. So when my gf and I arrived in the city, we took all the precautions we could while walking around. We were okay... so far...

But it was in our hostel room that someone pilfered my 6-month old iPod. I even suspect it was the hostel staff - when I reported it to the front desk (not that they could do anything about it anyway), the guy at the front desk got suspiciously defensive. I didn't want to start anything anyway, being a tourist in a foreign country and all. But it was terrible - the iPod was a gift from my gf too, so the next week or so on the trip was pretty icy.

It's a shame that such experiences can mar one's impression of what are beautiful cities.
  • That sucks. :( Sorry that happened to you, but you've handled it very well.

But this story, along with many other reasons, is why I don't care to travel. There's enough crime in my own neighborhood. Better the devil you know then the devil you don't. I'll just take my own private tour of Italy on the interwebz as I browse lovely pictures other brave tourists took for me to enjoy on Flickr. :nyah:
    Invincible_summer
  • JimyoJimyo Explorer
    I'm sorry you had a bad experience on your travels. I hope that, given time, you'll come to realise not everyone in Europe is out to rob unsuspecting tourists.

We're a good bunch really! :)
    John_SpencerriverflowKelsang_TseringInvincible_summer
  • Cinorjer said:

Tourists in any part of the world are fair game. Thieves are trained to look for the signs of foreigners doing a bit of sight-seeing. The tourists almost always have money and expensive cameras, ipods, etc. on them. You also don't know the area and probably don't even know the language. The world is full of predators. I'm glad that was all that got taken.

TRUTH!
  • That sucks. :( Sorry that happened to you, but you've handled it very well.

But this story, along with many other reasons, is why I don't care to travel. There's enough crime in my own neighborhood. Better the devil you know then the devil you don't. I'll just take my own private tour of Italy on the interwebz as I browse lovely pictures other brave tourists took for me to enjoy on Flickr. :nyah:

LOL nothing but awesome! So so true. Thanks :-)
    SillyPutty
    It's always good to be extra cautious of course, but I wouldn't say the world is full of predators. I've traveled quite a lot and I've never, ever been robbed. I've never even had an airline lose my luggage. There are always people who will take advantage of others, and when the economy is so bad, there are even more of them. But that doesn't make the world "full of predators."
    riverflowInvincible_summer
  • I didn't want to start anything anyway, being a tourist in a foreign country and all. But it was terrible. It's a shame that such experiences can mar one's impression of what are beautiful cities.

I hear you, big time!
  • karasti said:

It's always good to be extra cautious of course, but I wouldn't say the world is full of predators. I've traveled quite a lot and I've never, ever been robbed. I've never even had an airline lose my luggage. There are always people who will take advantage of others, and when the economy is so bad, there are even more of them. But that doesn't make the world "full of predators."

VERY well said. This was the first time that ANYTHING bad had ever happened to me. Not worried. It is what it is. next time just need to be more careful and not look like a tourist. Taking pics of things that the locals would never take pics of, lol
    riverflowInvincible_summer
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    I liked your realization at the end of it... Did you really want to catch him? Good story, thanks for sharing. :)

As a side note, this is a really common problem at my girlfriend's university in Detroit. Recently, she told me a story about how this had happened to someone... same thing... the guy took out his iphone/ipod and bam! the guy takes off running and he's left scratching his head... Long story short, the thief was probably a drug addict or just wanted to get rid of the item quickly because he ended up in a gas station, trying to sell the iphone to the clerk for a measly $20. The clerk bought it and contacted it's owner to give it back to him. :)
    SillyPuttyJeffreyMr_Serenity
  • When I went to Christchurch, New Zealand for the first time, there was a couple weeks where I stayed at one of two hostels. I kept a close eye on all my belongings-- probably too much even. I had a shakuhachi flute with me and one of my roommates (from Canada but had just come from a long stay in Australia) had a didgeridoo-- which just happened to tuned to D and was perfect with the shak, so we had improvised together a bit in the room (it was a surreal experience haha).

Anyway, it was my last day at that hostel, though he was still staying. We wanted to play together one more time at Hagley Park across the street. He had his didgeridoo with him but he forgot something upstairs and he left me with this massive didgeridoo there at the front door while he ran upstairs to get whatever it was he had forgotten. It was a bit of a shock, because he trusted me enough to leave it with me when I could have easily ran off with it. Anyway, he came back, we played under a sequoia tree and some Japanese students ended up taking photos with us (they were there for botanical studies). It was a lovely and unforgettable morning.

But then, NZ has honesty boxes, too. they have their burglars and theives too, but the frequency must be much less, otherwise people wouldn't do the honesty boxes anymore (there was one at the end of my street when I lived there in 2007). I felt safer in NZ than I did anywhere I've ever lived in the US. I was just talking yesterday with a fellow employee from Oz who said the same thing about living here (what is worse, where I live now is a very impoverished area with an unsurprisingly high crime rate).

As far as getting robbed goes, all you can do is take basic precautions and watch out. But as @karasti says, the world is not full of predators and it would do everyone a great deal of good to travel abroad and live abroad for at least a few months just for a basic exposure to how others live. Its a great educational experience that you can't get out of books or the internet.
    Invincible_summer
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    @riverflow What's an honesty box?
  • BhanteLuckyBhanteLucky Alternative lifestyle person in the South Island of New Zealand New Zealand Veteran

Farmers often leave fruit and produce unattended on a table by their front gate. People drive past and see a sign that says APPLES $3 BAG, or HORSE MANURE $5 SACK, and you just put the money in a box and take a bag of apples.
    riverflowJeffreyInvincible_summer
    edited May 2013

Farmers often leave fruit and produce unattended on a table by their front gate. People drive past and see a sign that says APPLES $3 BAG, or HORSE MANURE $5 SACK, and you just put the money in a box and take a bag of apples.
    Ohhh. That makes total sense now as I've seen that a million times in my life.. just never heard it called that. Thanks :)

Out by my grandmother's farm there is a guy who sells really awesome smoked fish. For years he would just leave his little shed open, you'd go in and grab a box from the cooler and deposit $20. Unfortunately, he did have to eventually install cameras. It's still "honesty" based in that there is no one working to take your money, but he will often have pictures posted of thieves from his security footage. It's sad.
  • riverflowriverflow Veteran
    edited May 2013
    @zombiegirl - In the city it may be a few garden veggies or perhaps some knit-work or some kind of arts and crafts stuff.

My kiwi GF had a TV she was wanting to sell and left it under the carport. I asked her, "Don't you want to put it in the garage?" and she said "Why would I want to do that?" And I said (thinking it obvious) "Because someone might steal it!" She said not to worry about it. It sat out there for a week, untouched, until she sold it.
    We have honesty boxes here too, but they are always firewood, LOL. People just put a big stack by the road and tell people to leave money in the mail box. I love it, especially because half the time by the time we decide we want to have a fire (if we happen to not have our own wood cut) almost everything in town closes by 9pm. We don't have a lot of theft here at all and robbery/burglary is basically unheard of. But we're a pretty small town. People can leave their bikes and kayaks and boats and things just in the yard and nothing ever happens to them. We only lock the doors at night because drunk people sometimes walk in and have a nap on people's couches, lol. Even businesses will leave racks of bikes and kayaks and such outside in the summer and they never disappear. It's nice, and part of the reason we moved back here. But, it also makes it harder to travel and go to other areas because we are so used to having our guard down.
    When my wallet and my battery were stolen, that was in Fargo, not here, just to keep things clear.
    mithril
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

riverflow said:

When I was a kid we lived in Napoli for three years (I was a navy brat). Our car, a wee Fiat 126 was stolen right from the car park of our apartment complex. That was in 1979. And it wasn't the only time things would go missing or get stolen from us our others we knew. I'm not sure if things have gotten worse there--seems like it has always been that way there!

But I agree, a beautiful country. Especially when you speak the language like i do.
    In any case, the Amalfi Coast just blew me away. Out of this world. If i ever go back, it will be to stay in Amalfi. Just breathtaking, to say the least.
    No - they're not.
    Naples and Sicily are the CosaNostra cities of the world.

The Mafia is often multi-national and is a global network organisation.
    The CosaNostra is specific to Naples/Sicily, and is often also mis-named in the media.

As an Italian, I would suggest people take more precautions with their personal property.
    If you go to built-up tourist areas, you're leaving yourself vulnerable to being targeted.
    And let me tell you, many of these petty thieves are in all likelihood not Italian.

It's true.
    I have many friends and relatives in Italy, and consequently, also have many British friends and relatives who visit Italy.
    In all my years, not a single one of them has ever been robbed or burgled.

riverflowmithril
    My grandmother used to sew little pockets on the inside of her pants for cash whenever she traveled... be it Europe or New York or wherever. I don't know if she was paranoid or genius.
    riverflow
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited May 2013
    I had an experience but it's not really fitting the thread too much.

When I was in college I had a best friend from Germany who stayed with us when he was in highschool. So I went to visit him and we were like 20 years old into pot and drinking and rollerblading. So we went to Mallorca for 'ferein' (vacation probably misspelled). Ferein is a great thing, germans take all sorts of vacations all the time and that is a good thing to have built into the culture.

Anyhow we were in Mallorca and I am a lightweight drinking and we had played a few drinking games with dice, one called 'Meyer'. So we went along a stretch of beach that was dark and these guys came up to us and the feeling from them was like so odd I haven't come accross it again. By the time we got back to the light area I had bought a 'ketta' (chain) for apparently a significant amount of money. It wasn't huge amount or the germans probably would have said something more than they did. But I felt like an idiot. I have read about how there are a group of people who speak tons of languages blended and it seemed to fit how these people made me feel when I bought the ketta. I should have not gone on that trip I didn't have the cautionary skills the other germans from a major city, Essen, had. I could have gotten myself into trouble if I had gotten lost from the german friends considering that I was also drinking.
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    @federica - I have also not experienced (nor have any friends who experienced) any mugging or burgling in Italy. But I and many of my Asian friends have experienced borderline harassment due to our ethnicity. Not in a racist, xenophobic way necessarily, but all the "Hello! Ni hao! Konichi-wa? Annyeong hasaeyo?!"-ing from people (this was during tourist high season in the cities, mind you) got very annoying. Some people even did an exaggerated bow.

I can't blame the business people doing that during tourist season as a way to get attention and make money. I'm not sure how effective it is, but if your country is in dire economic times, I guess you try anything to make money.
    But for the random people on the street, or employees of a business that probably wouldn't get any commission, I often couldn't help but think that they were being a bit patronising, almost mocking, just from the very public way they yelled out the assortment of Asian greetings. I get that Italians can be animated (I volunteer at an Italian long term care facility), but if I and my friends were not visible minorities, it wouldn't happen.
  • mithrilmithril Veteran
    edited May 2013
    Well i guess i have been at both ends.

When things were stolen from me, i was really angry, even thinking about some cruel punishments some cultures had for thieving (like chopping peoples hands off), and wondering whether it would be better if we had such laws in our country - maybe the thieves would then think twice before stealing? I was also really frustrated with the fact that the police are not all that strict around here, and it is generally easy to get away with minor offences (as the stealing of my bag would have probably classified for) with just a warning.

But i also thought about some people that i knew rather well, who would steal.

For example, i had a friend who once, when walking among some jewelry stalls, would just all of a sudden decide to steal some jewelry and knick-knacks. I was just dumbfounded. It really got me confused, i thought about how i have gotten in an argument about "wasting" money on jewelry with my parents just recently, and if i had just taken it without paying for it, i would have avoided all the mess. I never thought twice about not stealing and being honest until that point, so i was really confused when just being confronted with the other possibility - like stealing being a viable way to get things. Therefore what i did was just let my friend do her thing, but if i liked something i would still go and pay for it. I didn't report her (which maybe made me guilty in a way as well), but thinking back, i still don't think i would have the courage to do something about her stealing if it happened again. I don't know what i should have done, really. I wouldn't really go to the police in a foreign country and report my friend :zombie: I don't even trust the police in the country we were in -.-'

So when i thought about it, would i want to see my friend's hands chopped off? No, of course not. And i later got my bag back anyway, 40 euros gone, but i guess i could survive that, i thought (and i did).

I don't know anything about the thief, except for the fact that he thinks the only way to get to things i would have in my bag (i would guess 50-500eur worth for the average persons bag), is to steal them. For some of us, we know that this is an amount that we can gain by working at a job that is not even that hard, may be fulfilling in its own way, and carries no additional great risk like stealing does. Knowing that it makes me really just feel pity for the thief.

--------

@MontrealMonk, i think what you did was actually really good. When you thought about what would have happened when you caught him, then maybe, what if the thief thought about what would have happened if you caught him, too? Maybe it caused the thief to doubt his ways, even a little. Maybe he thought he could get away with it easily, but now knows that he was caught doing it, even though he wasn't punished for it.
  • ToshTosh Veteran

Europe is in really bad shape. Sucks...i wonder how long it will take for all this garbage to arrive in Canada.

Europe is a big place you know. It's like me getting robbed in Mexico and saying the whole of the Americas is in really bad shape. I'm sure I've had a Buddhist lesson on how we focus on a small area and create a whole distorted picture from just that.

I've lived in Europe for the majority of my life and have never had anything stolen from me. But I was mugged in Central America at knife point.

riverflow
  • Tosh said:

Europe is in really bad shape. Sucks...i wonder how long it will take for all this garbage to arrive in Canada.

Europe is a big place you know. It's like me getting robbed in Mexico and saying the whole of the Americas is in really bad shape. I'm sure I've had a Buddhist lesson on how we focus on a small area and create a whole distorted picture from just that.

I've lived in Europe for the majority of my life and have never had anything stolen from me. But I was mugged in Central America at knife point.

When i say Europe is in bad shape. I mean Italy, Greece, Spain. Unemployment sky rocketing, and gov't robbing their people blind. The amount of Bangladeshi's in Italy makes no sense. They are taking all the jobs at 2-3euros an hour, while the Italians are left out of jobs. It is what it is though. On the flight home, others on the plane also had stories how they were robbed in Rome and Venice.

France, Portugal, Spain, Greece, Italy, all in MUCH worse shape than I am in Canada. Hands down. Tourists in Montreal do NOT get robbed like tourists in Europe do, that's for sure. And it makes sense, people are resorting to what they need to do, in order to feed themselves.
    No, @MontrealMonk, that's no excuse ("people are resorting to what they need to do"). I've been in far poorer villages in Issan in Thailand, in villages in Malaysia and Burma, where I had no fear of being robbed.
    mithrilInvincible_summer
  • federica said:

riverflow said:

No - they're not.
    Naples and Sicily are the CosaNostra cities of the world.

The Mafia is often multi-national and is a global network organisation.
    The CosaNostra is specific to Naples/Sicily, and is often also mis-named in the media.

That's what i meant. They are the founding cities of the world, where the Italian mafia was birthed. The ripple effect trickled to Canada (Montreal/Toronto) and USA, NYC tri state area -Anyway, this isn't a mafia thread.

Like you said, i agree, take precautions when traveling to Italy. MANY people i know have been pick pocketed or robbed while visiting there. And I'm full Italian and speak it very well. These things rarely happen in Montreal. This i know.
    vinlyn said:

No, @MontrealMonk, that's no excuse ("people are resorting to what they need to do"). I've been in far poorer villages in Issan in Thailand, in villages in Malaysia and Burma, where I had no fear of being robbed.

I understand what you are saying here, @vinlyn, and I'm not excusing or justifying theft in any way. But I don't know if you can accurately compare villages in Asia to the Western World. Our psychology and society is set up that if you "have not" you are nothing. All our worth is set up in what we do, and what we have. For right or wrong, that is how it is. For a lot of people in Europe, they were "haves" or a lot closer to it than they are now, and as a result of various abuses and decisions they could not control, they are much closer to "have nots" and it's making them quite unhappy. Like I said, that doesn't make it ok to steal, but the theft is a result of the societies we have built around haves and have nots. When we value things, then getting those things is of utmost important to a person's self-worth and their worth to society. I doubt the villages in Burma have the same problem in that way as we do thus they are not set up for failure in that way that we are. When people feel they are losing their worth, they push back and take things from those who still have, to gain some power and control. It has more to do with that, much of the time, than it does with the few dollars they gain from selling a stolen item.

riverflowmithril
    When morality is easy, who cares.

Morality only really counts when it is tough.
    It's also easy to sit back and judge which morality is easy and which is tough. You've been to those villages, you can put yourself in their situation and view their morality as tougher because they are so poor and still chose not to steal from you. You have not (as far as you have told us, I mean) spent time with the unruly thieves in Italy/Greece/etc and therefore it will be harder to put yourself in that position. It's easy to judge what another should and shouldn't do when you aren't familiar with their situation.

I'd like to believe that in a situation like is happening in parts of Europe, that I still would not steal. But until I am pushed to that point, I can't know with 100% certainty that I would not, especially if it meant the different in paying for rent or food or some other necessity. I should hope that I am secure enough in my values to not steal just as revenge. But I also have never been in the economic crisis that they are in there. Desperation pushes people to places they never thought they would go otherwise.
    riverflowmithril
    @Karasti, take a village in Italy. How many poor people are there? And what percent of those poor people become thieves? 100%? 75%? 50%? 33%? I doubt it. I bet it's far, far less than 10%...even less than 5%. And guess what, even among those few who do steal, they would probably be thieves even if they weren't desperate.

I never said anyone who is desperate would turn into a thief. It's just sociology. When times because really hard and desperate, crimes such as robbery and property crimes tend to skyrocket. That was my only point. I never said it was ok. I never said it happened to everyone.
    Cinorjer
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited May 2013
    I don't understand why no bystanders tried to stop the thief. In the US, if someone yells, "STOP, THIEF" and is chasing after someone, people react. Maybe not all the time, but I've seen it happen.

You guys, this isn't just a problem of endemic Italian poverty. Police in Italy have investigated and discovered that there are gypsy child traffickers who bring kids in from Romania, and force them to steal in order to support adults. The money goes back to Romania, where the heads of Roma syndicates live in mansions. Saw a video about it on another forum. Some non-profit organizations have formed to reach out to the Roma communities and enroll them in programs to provide decent housing and job training, and to encourage the parents to keep the kids in school. But some kids are there without parents. The kids are forced to spend 12+ hours/day stealing.

vinlynsndymorn