Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Ideas and belief in tulku'

2»

Comments

• Jeffrey said:

Also he said HHDL made Segal a 'god' which is a bad translation of tulku. So it's misinformation on top of unharmonious and egoistic raising on wounded limbs.

It doesn't do Buddhism a favor to say HHDL made someone a God, when the accurate truth says HHDL is just a simple monk as he says.

Agreed. While you posted this, I posted a response as well. I don't believe the story was 100% factual, or even 60% factual for that matter. I just thought it was funny. Ha... ha?
  • Jeffrey said:

Also he said HHDL made Segal a 'god' which is a bad translation of tulku. So it's misinformation on top of unharmonious and egoistic raising on wounded limbs.

It doesn't do Buddhism a favor to say HHDL made someone a God, when the accurate truth says HHDL is just a simple monk as he says.

Agreed. While you posted this, I posted a response as well. I don't believe the story was 100% factual, or even 60% factual for that matter. I just thought it was funny. Ha... ha?
    I thought it was funny. We have to be able to laugh at ourselves. We know a tulku isn't a "deity" or divine but that distinction is lost on many non-Buddhists. Instead of railing about how inaccurate it is, we can ponder why people get that impression. Might it be that outsiders see the lama-worship going on, and logically conclude that since they've been taught only gods are worshipped, we must think these people are gods?
    SillyPutty
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited June 2013
    No Cinorjer I think it is just ignorance. As in "why was Buddha fat?"

Barbara Walters asked if HHDL was a god personally. He pointed at his glasses.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Also Buddha was a Buddha. He was free of the poisons and had fully developed his capacity to save beings. A God is actually less helpful than a Buddha.
    JohnG
  • JohnGJohnG Veteran
    I believe that we can see a Tulku, as one who 'chooses' or is 'chosen' for rebirth to assist people in their lives.
  • Jeffrey said:

No Cinorjer I think it is just ignorance. As in "why was Buddha fat?"

Barbara Walters asked if HHDL was a god personally. He pointed at his glasses.

It seemed to be a Howard Stern program, and intelligence doesn't enter into the equation for that bunch.
  • JohnGJohnG Veteran
    He guy's lets keep on topic; Federica is watching from her secret hiding place just waiting to pounce and nuke us into internet oblivion.

She's everywhere!!!!! :eek2:
    riverflowInvincible_summer
  • SillyPuttySillyPutty Veteran
    edited June 2013
    Cinorjer said:

It seemed to be a Howard Stern program, and intelligence doesn't enter into the equation for that bunch.

Funny how I get the finger pointed at me for indirect "gossiping" by posting a COMDY RADIO INTERVIEW, yet no one on here scolds you for directly insulting me and "gossiping" about Howard's fans. Hmmm.... I guess only certain Buddhists are allowed to gossip and the rest of us are evil or something.

Anyway, people who say that are normally people who haven't ever listened to Howard. If you knew who some of his fans are, you wouldn't make such blatant assumptions/insults. I have a lot of respect for that man. He's far from perfect, but he's amazingly honest, funny, an amazing interviewer, and extremely wise. More than I can say for the people who insult him/his audience without even having listened to a recent show of his-- or ever.
This discussion has been closed.