Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Tibetan Buddhism

PremaSagarPremaSagar Veteran
edited November 2013 in Buddhism Basics
So how do people interested in Tibetan Buddhism go about starting to practice when a temple isn't in the area ?. I mean can empowerment somehow be transmitted through email ? (Sorry if this is a foolish question) or will I only have to visit a temple once for an empowerment ceremony ?. How much correspondence with a Guru is necessary in Tibetan Buddhism ?

Extra Questions:
Also wondering, what's the process for becoming a monk in Tibetan Buddhism ?
How is guilt and remorse treated in Tibetan Buddhism ?
What practices are prescribed for dealing with past misdeeds ?
What source(s) do Tibetan monasteries use for the monk's rules ?
Do lay practitioners have to purchase ritual items to practice Tibetan Buddhism ?
Is Medicine Buddha practice an exoteric teaching ?
What is the purpose of an empowerment ceremony ?
What are the bare essential books needed to practice within one of the traditions ?

Comments

• Sorry, but I cannot help here although I study Tibetan Buddhism. I am doing it through an online course offered by a Tibetan Buddhist sangha. There are no empowerments in the studies I am doing. I have contact with a guru, but she is getting some rest from running the sangha so I only e-mail a question if I am really stuck and think it is a very important question.

Guilt and remorse according to the Jewel Ornament of Liberation can be remedied with:

1 seeing that you are entangled in samsara and need to escape
    2 remorse
    3 antidote of good practices such as meditating on emptiness or mindfulness
    4 refuge in the triple gem
    PremaSagarsova
  • the Jewel Ornament of Liberation is THE text for the karma kagyu (one school of 4 TB) Lam Rim (gradual path). You could study that text. It also has information for taking refuge without a teacher. :)
    PremaSagarsova
  • Jeffrey said:

the Jewel Ornament of Liberation is THE text for the karma kagyu (one school of 4 TB) Lam Rim (gradual path). You could study that text. It also has information for taking refuge without a teacher. :)

Thank for the helpful reply ! =)
    sova
  • To add to my list of questions:
    What is required to participate in an empowerment ceremony ?
  • ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran

So how do people interested in Tibetan Buddhism go about starting to practice when a temple isn't in the area ?.

By practicing. Get some meditation instruction from any qualified instructor and practice.
    I mean can empowerment somehow be transmitted through email ?
    No, but there's nothing you'll need empowerment for, at least for the time being.
    How much correspondence with a Guru is necessary in Tibetan Buddhism ?
    Not much, really. Devotion to the Guru (not "a" Guru) is more important.
    The same as any other tradition. Go to a Monastery and talk to the abbot.
    As guilt and remorse.
    Vajrasattva practice is often performed as a means to purify one's karma.
    The Vinaya are the rules applied in all Buddhist monasteries although the abbot or most senior lineage holder may impose other rules.
    Do lay practitioners have to purchase ritual items to practice Tibetan Buddhism ?
    Nope.
    There are versions that can be poerformed by anyone.
    Empowerment for what?
    What are the bare essential books needed to practice within one of the traditions ?
    None that I'd consider essential. Tibetan Buddhism tends to focus on oral teaching. The essential books are those that cover the basics and those apply far more broadly than just Tibetan traditions.
    PremaSagarsova
  • PremaSagarPremaSagar Veteran
    edited November 2013
    @Chaz thank you for responding to my questions !
    Empowerment for what ?
    For practices like Green Tara or Vajrasattva for example.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited November 2013
    Guilt isn't a helpful condition. It's a form of clinging. Let it go. Practice non-attachment. Stop self-flaggellating. Depending on the nature of the guilt, you can turn it into positive, constructive action. (Righting a wrong, for example.)

Remorse in TB can be handled with a purification ceremony by a qualified teacher.
    PremaSagar

Empowerment for what ?

There are sadhanas for both of those practices as well as others that don`t require empowerment. You can seek empowerment if you want, but its not necessary.
    PremaSagar
  • @Jeffrey Which egroup are you doing your studies with? I have been looking into the FPMT and they have online courses and I was curious if there are other groups that do the same too.
  • What is FPMT? I am doing the awakened heart sangha's (lama shenpen hookham) Discovering the Heart of Buddhism.
  • RobynRobyn New
    edited November 2013
    http://fpmt.org/ - Foundation for the Preservation of the Mahayana Tradition

"The FPMT is an organization devoted to the transmission of the Mahayana Buddhist tradition and values worldwide through teaching, meditation and community service. We provide integrated education through which people’s minds and hearts can be transformed into their highest potential for the benefit of others, inspired by an attitude of universal responsibility. We are committed to creating harmonious environments and helping all beings develop their full potential of infinite wisdom and compassion."

It's an organization run by Lama Zopa, and it ultimately follows the Dalai Lama (although he does not really run it, he's more of inspiration and kind of guides in the background). My understanding of it is that it's Tibetan Buddhism for the West (for the most part) and they offer several programs at their centers, and also correspondence courses.

Full disclosure: I've gone to some of the FPMT's events but I'm not really involved with the organization. Unfortunately, what is offered in the Burlington center is rather limited at the moment. I've been thinking about looking deeper into their correspondence courses, but am spending a lot of time researching other groups, centers, and so on as well. There is a convenience NKT center and although the teacher there is great, there seems to be a lot of controversy about the group (just google around, I do not want to reproduce that here)....and so, choosing a group to practice with can be difficult.

ANYWAYS, thanks for the info. You've given me another course/group to look into that I didn't know about.
  • Chaz said:

Empowerment for what ?
    There are sadhanas for both of those practices as well as others that don`t require empowerment. You can seek empowerment if you want, but its not necessary.

You are correct as far as Green Tara, but I am pretty sure you need an empowerment to do Vajrasattva practice.

Also, empowerment may not be necessary for some practices, but then those sadhana's are being practiced at the level of Sutra only.
    Dennis1
    I have a Vajrasattva practice that requires no empowerment. Get it here: http://www.prayer4peace.net/media/Basic_VS_Liturgy.pdf

There is, of course, a sadhana that requires empowerment. This is not that practice.
    Also, empowerment may not be necessary for some practices, but then those sadhana's are being practiced at the level of Sutra only.
    that levela

Of course, but in the case of our OPer that level of practice is appropriate
  • I suppose, but if one has an inclination to practice these things, then why not receive the full benefits of them? There are some good purification practices that come from Sutra too :)
  • matthewmartinmatthewmartin Amateur Bodhisattva Suburbs of Mt Meru Veteran
    Process for becoming a Tibetan Monk: (is this an academic or practical question? Academically, it's a matter of ceremony and having the right number of monks to induct you, as a practical matter, it requires finding a monastery that has the community resources for one more monk)

ref: http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=14227&sid=6c5b31d2ab0e32167d38bcff1e72b68a

Going to India or Nepal-- but you'll have visa problems, a high drop out rate and possibly culture-clash problems.
    The western model seems to have monks that work outside jobs. The center over in Potomac, Maryland seems to do that too.
    PremaSagar
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    edited November 2013
    monastics doing outside jobs? wow..

also considering that the far majority of buddhism in the western world is Tibetan, would it really be that hard to find a monastery that can take more monks? As a Theravadin I'm looking at ordaining 5 hours from me..
    edited November 2013
    @matthewmartin I read the thread at Dharma Wheel and it seems discouraging to those hoping to ordain in the West in Tibetan Buddhism. This question academic, after reading that I don't think I'd want to pursue ordination in Tibetan Buddhism.
  • So how do people interested in Tibetan Buddhism go about starting to practice when a temple isn't in the area ?

-develop merit and the causes for you to move towards a guru and lineage, which means cultivate the longing in your heart to end samsara because it sucks.

I mean can empowerment somehow be transmitted through email ? (Sorry if this is a foolish question) or will I only have to visit a temple once for an empowerment ceremony ?.

-Yes, but only because of previous connection with the guru and lineage. Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche does Dzogchen transmission three times a year via webcast and it has helped many individuals. Getting an empowerment is one thing but one needs to actively engage by practice and devotion to the guru.

How much correspondence with a Guru is necessary in Tibetan Buddhism ?

-There is no beginning, middle, nor end without a Guru in Tantra. Now Tibetan Buddhism also has the fundamental vehicle and the wide vehicle as the supporting basis as well. So one could practice a lot without actually encountering ones heart guru.

Extra Questions:
    -Merit and karma. The willingness to do it regardless of circumstance.

-Usually through confessional practice, whereas one actively makes a voice for all the guilt and retreat in ones life. Then one takes a vow to actively end those processes.

-That depends on the individual and their capacity.

-Probably the original vinaya.

-Depends on the guru and lineage.

-I'd say all of Vajrayana is esoteric though its packaged to westerns and most people as exoteric knowledge.

-Entering the mandala of the lineage.

-No books, all heart to heart connection with an enlightened being.
    JeffreyDennis1sova
    edited November 2013
    I found a Tibetan Buddhist monastery http://www.sravastiabbey.org/ . On second thought maybe the odds aren't as discouraging as the thread lead me to think. Thank goodness for google ! =)
  • taiyaki said:

I mean can empowerment somehow be transmitted through email ? (Sorry if this is a foolish question) or will I only have to visit a temple once for an empowerment ceremony ?.

-Yes, but only because of previous connection with the guru and lineage. Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche does Dzogchen transmission three times a year via webcast and it has helped many individuals. Getting an empowerment is one thing but one needs to actively engage by practice and devotion to the guru.

Don't think so. The above example is the very rare exception to this. There are a few very rare cases where certain transmissions are given via a live webcast, but almost all traditional teachers would say that one needs to be present to receive an empowerment. Other than with ChNN, we often have to travel to see our teachers, and to receive teachings and empowerments.

I think it all has a lot to do with our merit actually.

• The purpose of an empowerment is to ripen the aspiration and cultivate Bodhicitta through ritual agreement and attachment to the guru and or lineage. Thanks to you who gave the answers above. They are edifying. Best, Dennis, Nyingma tradition
  • P.S. Since you bring it up there is a no Guru-no empowerment tradition. It is called Aro gTerma. It is difficult but you can find it on the net. The commitment to a Guru has great value and the ripening of agreements is powerful. But, in their absence there is Aro gTerma. This is found in 'the Nyingma Tradition of Tibetan Buddhism' (a fine book), is used by the Dalai Lama. The Nyingma includes all of the paths in it's teachings. I follow it. H.H Dudjom Rinpoche was it's head. I don' know the current one. Best
  • Actually, I would say that for one who wishes to truly practice Vajrayana, it is not possible without a Guru. Not only because we need the ripening empowerments, but because Guru yoga is the essence of Vajrayana.

Do you practice in the Aro lineage?
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    I started with Tibetan buddhism and it helped me immensely, Sogyal Rinpoche, bless that man, has empowered me and continues to do so, along with others, but as others have suggested at some point you're on your own. The guru is not the path, he or she is just patiently holding up a sign to guide you to, and along it, and at some point he or she is going to whack you on the head to make you realise it's just a sign they are holding and not the path itself.

Investigate your mind and temperament and then look at what signs are out there. If there are no signs then of course go and chat to someone from a religious order if you feel aligned to it (I did and it worked) but look to yourself for guidance. When you feel comfortable guiding yourself - this is true empowerment… but don't get cocky - only use the wisdom it might bring on yourself.

Good luck on your quest - ! ! gate of tears - path of no path …. …….. nothing more required...
    robotDennis1Silesova
  • Mani said:

Actually, I would say that for one who wishes to truly practice Vajrayana, it is not possible without a Guru. Not only because we need the ripening empowerments, but because Guru yoga is the essence of Vajrayana.

Do you practice in the Aro lineage?

I don't know if you mean me-Dennis-but no I don't. It is mentioned in the Nyingma tradition (which covers most Mahayana paths) as an alternate for those who cannot connect otherwise. I believe it has a long tradition. I will check but I think it goes thru
    Vairocana and Avalokiteshvara. It is not frowned upon to my knowledge. I think Guru
    yoga is superior and belonging to a personally real lineage is powerful. Aro gTer is an alternative. I'm not pushing it I was answering the question. Best

• Anataman: I appreciate your view. This is the way I see it also. But it is a harder way to go, without a Sangha close to hand and without the commitment which a guru can engender. Ramakrishna use to say: there are two ways to approach God. Not this, not this, not this or this, this, this. I think the Guru can shorten this process but eventually
    you have to enter the completion stage. Best
  • The aro meditation course is as comprehensive as any you will find.
    http://aromeditation.org/

The aro people do like to dress up and will try to engage with you. I just stuck with the course and did all but the last lesson, which I may save for Christmas.
    :)
    Dennis1
  • Sorry Dennis- I was asking you because you mentioned it.

I don't mean to start a controversy, but the actual lineage of that group is questionable at the very least. Having an authentic and unbroken lineage is what makes practising terma both powerful and effective.

Of course when one feels that they haven`t yet met with that special guru. It is not so much about finding a prestigious teacher to guide you, but rather more about having a connection with a teacher you trust, have great devotion for being able to (eventually try) to see them as a Buddha whose mind is inseparable from Vajradhara/Guru Rinpoche (depending on lineage) and ultimately your mind inseparable from theirs. Especially so when one is practicing Terma for numerous reasons. This is one big aspect of why having a guru is essential in Vajrayana in my opinion.

It is difficult when we don't seem to have any teachers close by, but then we need to travel a little perhaps. In my case that is what I need to do. Despite what people believe, we need a great amount of merit to meet with these kinds of teachings and special causes and conditions to meet with these great Masters who will teach it to us. It comes easier for some, but for others it takes a bit more work...or merit perhaps.

Dennis1
  • Hi Mani: I took no offense. I merely meant to answer and I am not at all well informed.
    I just heard about it so I passed it on. Lobster seems to have more knowledge. I will defer to him. I appreciate your view and that makes sense to me. I know in Tantra and Vajra, dedication, commitment and creating the self in the Buddha's image is important.
    I think this helps transcend normal appearances. Thank you. mtgby
  • No worries, Dennis :)

I am usually careful to not get into too many discussions about groups which some see as being controversial, but at the same time I think it is always good to remind those a little newer or those who have interest should be aware of the importance of the Guru in Vajrayana. I think there are some misconceptions sometimes and it is good to clarify those.

Dennis1
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    Ever watch the game where a small story is quietly repeated from one to another down the line until the end person compares it back to the original.

An unbroken linage is just a 2600 year old version of that.

I think it would be safer to have folks discern the worth of a guru according to the fruit that their practice produces instead of hanging it on the claims of some ancient authenticity.
    BhikkhuJayasaraEvenThirdInvincible_summerDennis1
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited December 2013
    @how, What about an unbroken lineage of craftsman each training his apprentice to be a smith or painter or carver or whatever. It's more like that than chinese telephone or whatever it's called. It's even moreso because the wisdom mind is pointed out and from there the student stands on their own. That said there are bad gurus, bad disciples, and bad teachings.

Would a youtube of how to sharpen woodcarving tools be better than a workshop?

Score!!!!
    robotSilesova
  • how said:

I think it would be safer to have folks discern the worth of a guru according to the fruit that their practice produces instead of hanging it on the claims of some ancient authenticity.

I never really alluded your suggestion. Actually, I think that we do need to practice under the guidance of a Guru who has some accomplishment from the practice and the lineage that they teach us.

But as far as Vajrayana goes, a broken lineage or one with corrupted samaya, etc. will simply not bring the fruits practice. Lineage is a continuum of realization that is passed on from Guru to disciple, and on and on. It is not simply the "telephone game" as you might think.
    Dennis1Jeffrey
  • Hi Mani: Such as Manjushri... Vajradhara... Je Tsongkhapa... Kelsang Gyatso....and the empowerment of Heruka or Vajrayogini. I understand. But, the initial question seemed valid and earnest. In keeping with that. I think just reading and doing vipassana or a night practice is a worthwhile practice. As aspiration grows and merit creates worthiness, a person will reach out and as the saying goes-the teacher will appear. By the way I think Sazen is more or less guruless and that may be part of it's success.
    However I also understand the difficulty of wading through delusion without a rudder.
    For Vajrayana I am pretty sue you are right. mtgby
  • I do agree with some of your points, Dennis1. Actually, I think many times people may be doing practices that they are not yet ready for. Many serious teachers will not give much until ngondro is completed, and there is a reason for this. Merit, and purification are needed in order to ripen the individual and to have the conducive conditions to grasp the true essence of the practices.

And yes, up until that point, we certainly need to engage is both study and meditation to help build a solid foundation to stand on.

So many methods do not require a Guru, but Vajrayana most certainly does.

As for the original question, I often wonder if people really do differentiate between Tibetan Buddhism and Vajrayana. There are many amazing practices that come down through the Tibetan lineages that are not Vajrayana practices. The various practices of mind training, for example. As well as Shinay/Vipashyana. These are all a great starting points that have been written about and are easy to get oral instructions on without committing to a teacher.

:)
    Jeffrey
  • Dennis1 said:

Hi Mani: I took no offense. I merely meant to answer and I am not at all well informed.
    I just heard about it so I passed it on. Lobster seems to have more knowledge. I will defer to him.

I have done the excellent aro postal course. Except for the last meditation technique which involves meditating whilst drunk. Maybe at Christmas.
    I am not prepared or interested in wine based meditation. I don't drink first thing in the morning, it is just not my thing. There are various reasons for providing such a befuddling technique. Symbolic. Actual meditation whatever the mind state. To provide questioning and interaction with the aro lineage. Taboo breaking, shock value etc.

The aro people do offer to answer any questions whilst they send you a weekly meditation technique to practice. They recommend their literature and reference their website.

I have no interest in their 'controversial' lineage. Their blankett wearing pictures and get togethers, look like clown conferences to me. However their website pages that they recommend during the course were all insightful, genuine, useful advice. I am sure they are nice, friendly and no weirdier than the average tantrika. Secret wine drinking and meat scoffing and even weirder stuff keeps the titillation component of our ego occupied . . .

So I have no interest in their gurus. None. The course is excellent. Apart from the wine drinking nothing controversial. It starts with five minutes of meditation. So I just did that and my usual meditation. As the times increased, I synchronised more with their suggested tryouts. The techniques and advice on posture is first rate. I tried to do the course a second time but sadly I think the weekly emails were being swallowed by my spam filter.

Is the course suitable for beginners? Is any course? Our own course for example?

Now let us talk (gossip if you will) about the other tantric lineages. Initially they were composed of the outsiders, the crazies, the ex-conventionals, the controversial, the ex Hindu sadhus, the hermits, the dharma misfits and the enlightened - not necessarily in that order.
    Now they are mostly dharmically respectable, handing out admonishments. In many ways they are a fast and intense path for the genuine aspirant. Dangers. Sure. Must be time to sit soon, might have a drink beforehand and wrap myself in a blanket . . . :wave: