Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

the Oatmeal on Running (and the Blerch)

Comments

• Sounds like santa clause on steroids.
    Jeffrey
  • God, that describes me perfectly. Even though I do run, and I do have things like organic green smoothies, I've never felt equipped to call myself "a runner" because "runners" are hyper-healthy, early rising, gleaming-eyed automatons, are they not? Seriously, this guy is like a male version of me. Nailed it! I'm a slob, really. I would much rather watch American Horror Story marathons in bed with the cat and a packet of something calorie-laden, half the time. But I run. I love it. Odd.
  • Thanks, @Jeffrey, I enjoyed that. I have a Blerch too. I recently ran a 28.2 mile cross-country marathon around the peninsular of a coastline that took us over rocks, beaches, sand dunes, mud, forest trails and hills. It was called a 'marathon' but it was two miles longer than the standard distance (the organisers called the extra mileage 'added value').

It near wrecked me, but I'd love to do an ultra just so I can say to marathon runners "Oh, you run marathons? How sweet!"

Anyway the Blerch was with me most times during training and constantly with me after mile 18 when things started hurting badly. It's with me now, telling me to type crap on the interweb when I should be going for a run. :o

Do you run? If not would you like to run?
    pyramidsongInvincible_summer
  • I went running yesterday morning to deal with some anger. But in my anger I did not warm up or cool down properly. Hooo boy did I pay for it later. Last night I was walking like an 80 year old. Owwww.
    Invincible_summer
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    I do barefoot running hehe. I avoid 99% of the issues related to regular running since it's a slow(in running terms) leisurely activity that I have fun with. I don't care about time or distance, I just go out and enjoy myself. THAT is what is missing from running these days.
    pyramidsongInvincible_summersndymorn
  • @Tosh, I was in the habit of walking 1 mile and running .5 but then my grandma got sick and we were making trips to Ohio to visit her. I don't work so I would visit every week for awhile. Now my mom and I have to get back into the swing of exercising. I did my running on a track at a gym.
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    edited December 2013
    I just started at a gym to keep in shape over the winter and have added running to my workouts. I loved the comic and can completely relate to the Blerch.
    "Seriously?! Gladiator again?! Also, I really don't think its good for you to keep eating like that."

"NONSENSE! I ran twenty miles today!"
  • Jayantha said:

I do barefoot running hehe. I avoid 99% of the issues related to regular running since it's a slow(in running terms) leisurely activity that I have fun with. I don't care about time or distance, I just go out and enjoy myself. THAT is what is missing from running these days.

In the Summer I'd do a weekly barefoot session around a grassed track, to help with my running form and improve my feet muscle strength. I've read 'Born to Run', and kinda agree with much that it says, particularly about over-engineered running shoes. I won't run barefoot anywhere else though - I'm not that tough - and much of my running wouldn't be suitable for barefoot. I do a fair bit of fell running (mountainous type stuff) and I can't imagine going barefooted over scree (hill sides of rough broken rocks) or through gorse (spiky stuff), or really greasy mud.

All my running shoes (I've about eight pairs) are all minimalist running shoes though.

Mrs Tosh in the distance (she's a top runner; better than me)

photo DSCF3403_zpsa5a8c4b9.jpg

I got in trouble for taking this photo. When she fell into the stream, apparently the standard operational procedure is to help her out; not laugh and see a photo opportunity.

photo DSCF3400_zps1a3fa1ef.jpg

The above was taken on a recce of the Black Mountains Fell Race; 17 tough miles that one. On the actual race, near the end, I found a runner just lying down in the dirt, and when I approached he jumped up, smoothed himself down and said, "There, that's better!" and started running again. It gave me a shock, I thought he'd passed out or something.
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    Thanks for sharing tosh, im not brave enough, nor are my feet tough enough, to run the trails you describe either. I normally run barefoot on roads and sometimes on wooded dirt trails, but never on scree.. Also those places in your picture look like amazing places to run.

When ive done mud runs or had to hike mountainous terrain i will use my vibram 5 fingers.