Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Background Dis-ease....

MeisterBobMeisterBob Mindful AgnathiestCT , USA Veteran
edited June 2014 in Buddhism Basics

Seems quite often I sense a subtle feeling of dis-ease. Somethings not quite right. If I look there's something I'm concerned with. The things that are never finished. At times I'm able to" let go" of it better than others. The "things will never be done until I'm done. If I died my agenda would die with me. .... I can see where living simply as possible would reduce the "unfinished" busy-ness. The things? - you know- the to do list that's never finished. I'm a mechanic by trade and fix everything and anything by nature. "Blessing " and curse. ..always fixing my little world lol! So I guess how do you work with day to day stuff in the relatively "real" world? More mindfulness? More formal meds? I try to plan not project but the subtleness is there. .... The subcouncious knows....Bob

Edit: I'm thinking cultivating samadhi , concentration would help.

Comments

• anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

It brings to mind the advice that the buddha gave to a woman who wanted a practice, but had so many things to do (sorry can't remember exact quote or where I read it, it might have been in the Tibetan Book of Living and Dying by Sogyal Rinpoche), but it goes something like this:

**Watch your hands as you are drawing water from the well, and then you will find yourself in that natural state that is meditation...*

I took that advice when performing manual tasks at work, and I came to know samadhi, not as a concept, but as a state of mind, I experienced it profoundly today on my walking meditation. Just offering a suggestion, particularly if you are always fixing things, watch what your hands are doing (and then see if you notice if you are doing the fixing, or if they are fixing themselves. ... \ lol / ...

• MeisterBobMeisterBob Mindful Agnathiest CT , USA Veteran
    edited June 2014

@anataman said:
    It brings to mind the advice that the buddha gave to a woman who wanted a practice, but had so many things to do (sorry can't remember exact quote or where I read it, it might have been in the Tibetan Book of Living and Dying by Sogyal Rinpoche), but it goes something like this:

**Watch your hands as you are drawing water from the well, and then you will find yourself in that natural state that is meditation...*

I took that advice when performing manual tasks at work, and I came to know samadhi, not as a concept, but as a state of mind, I experienced it profoundly today on my walking meditation. Just offering a suggestion, particularly if you are always fixing things, watch what your hands are doing (and then see if you notice if you are doing the fixing, or if they are fixing themselves. ... \ lol / ...

Thanks. I'm ffinding being mindful more difficult. Hard to be mindful without decent concentration. I'm going to put more effort into my formal samadhi meds which have been lacking as of late. Oh and a walking med sounds good. Been finding it difficult to sit.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Mindfulness is a 'waken-til-sleep' practice.
    it has no interruptions or 'best periods to implement'...

But yes, meditation helps towards the discipline.

@federica said:
    Mindfulness is a 'waken-til-sleep' practice.
    it has no interruptions or 'best periods to implement'...

But yes, meditation helps towards the discipline.

Yes indeed it is. To what degree do I maintain it? Dont know. I do know my formal practice has gone down to virtually nothing.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Yellow post-it notes, help.

No, really, they do.....

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

Excuse me, @MeisterBob, what exactly do you call 'samadhi meds'? Does it stand for medication or meditation?
    Sometimes it so happens that you can't fix everything, nor cajole yourself into accepting things as they are despite all the Dharma overload, and you just need to let things fix themselves on their own.
    In moments like this when you're as if in stand-by, make sure you nourish your mind with the right kind of thoughts and the right kind of practice. Doubt, torpor, angst can easily derail the best intentions.

edited June 2014

"Dhammic-overload".

or "Dhamm this burn-out phase!"

it happens.
    you diligently practise - and reach a plateau, whence you can neither go back, nor go forward.

So - ?

Stop.
    Breathe, sit, relax and don't panic.

It happens.
    Put it down, have a drink, a sandwich, and admire the view.

anatamanBuddhadragon

@dharmamom said:
    Excuse me, MeisterBob, what exactly do you call 'samadhi meds'? Does it stand for medication or meditation?
    Sometimes it so happens that you can't fix everything, nor cajole yourself into accepting things as they are despite all the Dharma overload, and you just need to let things fix themselves on their own.
    In moments like this when you're as if in stand-by, make sure you nourish your mind with the right kind of thoughts and the right kind of practice. Doubt, torpor, angst can easily derail the best intentions.

Yes sorry meds = meditation. Thanks "stand by mode":that's a good way of describing it. There are things I do That seem to nourish. My garden, my camera , a good TV show like last night's episode of "The Cosmos"..
    It has been unsettled for the last week or so since my wife's Aunt had a stroke. Back and forth to visit with my wife.Trying to be as supportive as possible. Might have something to do with it Trying to let things be and stay in the moment. Probably be off my rocker without my practice si that's positive. .

@federica. Yes indeed and worth noting as I take a daily inventory.

Post it notes! I' ll use anything I can as pointers. My screen saver is "awareness‌ . JKZ plays in my car cd player, Bodai is on the dash...post it notes can be placed anywhere. Nice.

• TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran

"the to do list that's never finished"

And it never will be. As an RN in a real world sense I realize this very directly, the work can seem unending at times.
    For life in general and work specifically I realized I'll only be "finished" with things when I am dead.
    I use an idea from Miyamoto Musashi- especially at work- what is the most pressing problem? Deal with that one, and only that one and when your finished then ask the question again.
    Also letting go, realizing the grass will grow all by itself is liberating.

MeisterBobBuddhadragon
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    edited June 2014

Perhaps @meisterbob, it's time to live a little before you going into overload mode - I do it all the time - inflation (intense focus effort and concentration) followed by deflation; it can be like breathing; however at some point you start to watch the ups and downs of practice, like watching the breath go in and out... But if you don't take a little time out and live your life (i.e. the space between breaths), it is gonna pass you by, and sometimes staring out the window on a long scenic train journey, can be as revitalising as, well whatever fortifies you....

MeisterBobTheswingisyellow

@anataman My Bahamas cruise last April was wonderful "time out" though I was pretty aware. Kind of like a retreat but "hopping" - no concerns. Today, before work I went to a favorite spot and photographed some flowers,bees and birds....it was nice way to start the day....my garden always calls me too this time of year.
    Going to need good balance in the next couple of months more than ever I imagine. My wife is her aunts executor and also primary support. She's 81 and 1/2 paralyzed -at this point. I can see it getting a bit overwhelming- heading into uncharted territory so to speak. Still no reason not to life life like a loose garment so to speak, best I can. Bob

anataman
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran

Find that place where you can be still.
    I have a creek on my property I will sit and meditate on (literally on the creek)
    No matter how short of a time I am there, it's a tonic, helps to ground me.
    When I am all twisted, worried anxious or depressed I make myself go there, sit get perspective and realize it's okay.

MeisterBob

@Theswingisyellow said:
    Find that place where you can be still.
    I have a creek on my property I will sit and meditate on (literally on the creek)
    No matter how short of a time I am there, it's a tonic, helps to ground me.
    When I am all twisted, worried anxious or depressed I make myself go there, sit get perspective and realize it's okay.

It sounds very nice. The most important thing for me is to dedicate the time to do so. My time unhindered by the clock -even if its 5-10 minutes. That said I can think of no reason I can't find 20 minutes or more either. Bob