Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Does anyone get bored?

For a long time I had a sense of something wrong like a dull sense. Now I take more medicines and it is like that bad feeling is morphing into boredom. But it is a kind of boredom where it is hard to get started on something rewarding. Like all the habits from when I just plain felt awful are still with me in not looking for something valuable to do.

On the other hand I am doing good dharma practice but I usually go slow in books so I can think about what I am reading for awhile.

So anyone else feel similar to me or even a different permutation on boredom?

namarupaanatamanzombiegirl

Comments

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

It's a blend of pain in my feeling of my body and more coming forth as boredom.

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

Nice vocabulary but they are right on. (aridity and ennui)! Thanks, @how.

• lobsterlobster Veteran

@how advice excellent as usual. Boredom can be experienced in a variety of exciting/different ways. Boredom is a very specific form of 'stillness'. The most realised people can be extremely 'boring'. However the agitated, gibbering, mindless mad monkeys (yes Mr Cushion my claw is up) are eventually seen as . . . boring reflections of ourself . . .

. . . and now back to the superficial attractions of [insert preferences] . . .

Buddhadragon
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

Buddha-full and a nice slushy drink!! This ^^^ is definitely the good life to be sure :D

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited June 2014

We haz plan for those blue Buddhas . . . ?

namarupa
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

Boredom are like brackets of silence in-between the din of our illusion of an eventful reality. It's the pause the mind takes between the chatter to really ponder "Is this it?" or "Now what?"
    Silence has its own special voice. Listen to what it has to say.
    This boredom can be an ideal moment to take stock of your life, of your practice, of how far you've come to integrating both.

ShoshinnamarupalobsterJeffrey
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Wel said @namarupa‌ . . . I can not meditate because:

1. It is boring
    2. No time
    3. No cushion
    4. Too noisy
    5. My favourite hamster died
    6. Too painful
    7. Everything is meditation. Job done.
    8. I am not really Buddhist

etc

Strap yourself in and continue anyway . . .

Earthninja
  • MeisterBobMeisterBob Mindful Agnathiest CT , USA Veteran
    edited June 2014

When experiencing boredom it's a good time for me to ask - who is bored?....
    I was driving into work this morning feeling a bit down...I asked - who is unhappy? ...it put some space into things. I realized I was tired. In this moment I am tired...

EarthninjaJeffrey
  • EarthninjaEarthninja Wanderer West Australia Veteran

When bored, meditate! It's never a dull moment watching my mind play. Some of the most random things pop up.

I wasn't going to mediate a second time today, then I heard a quote from the Buddha to meditate with the urgency that your hair is on fire.

I then mediated, thanks Buddha :)

JeffreyBuddhadragonmmo
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

I suspect the meds are a significant contributory factor to how you are feeling, but if they are helping you overcome more difficult things, and you are prepared to continue with them, then it might be worth considering a change in scenery (a little excursion, a change in practice, or just doing something you haven't experienced before, but have wondered what it might be like, e.g. bungee jumping, or riding a quad bike - ok a little extreme, but you get what I mean), or something else that brings a little excitement or surprise might be enough to steer you out of the doldrums.

Boredom arises, and can be overcome. You've just got to find what works for you @Jeffrey. When I get bored of practicing in a certain way, I change it, add a little twist, or exercise or just stop practicing for a while. You don't have to go hammer and tongs at it all the time, you've got your life to live, and that can be an inspirational thing.

Hope the boredom gets bored and replaces itself with joy, or ecstasy soon.

metta

JeffreyBuddhadragon