Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Building your own altar

13»

Comments

• Bunny_HereBunny_Here Explorer
    edited March 2007
    It's so nice to see you too, Federica!!! :-)
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2007
    Hi, Bunny! So lovely to see you here again!

Beautiful altars everyone! What a joy to be able to see them.
    edited March 2007
    Thank you Brigid- it's good to be here.

I really like all of the altar pictures too. They have given me some good ideas!

P.S. Jerbear mentioned going to Target. My altar cabinet came from there. It's a three feet high mahogany cabinet that I found in their clearance section, marked down 75%. The Shakyamuni statue is the tea light one from Target- the same one that Zenmonie has. I gave the statue a gold patina and I put small flowers in the place of the tea light.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2007
    That cabinet was from Target??!!?? It's gorgeous!! I love dark wood, especially anything even resembling mahogany. I think that cabinet really makes the whole altar. It looks so beautiful, so cared about and cared for. You must have a gorgeous home because I think your taste is exquisite. And 75% off? Fantastic! Whenever I shop a big store like Sears, Bombay etc., especially online, I always go directly to "Clearance" first and "Sale" next. Dark wood rocks! It's the most luxurious of all furnishings in my humble opinion.
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited March 2007
    Magwang wrote:
    Mine is on top of my dresser. That's Yoda and Hotei flanking my Thai buddha statue.

Mag - I got a definite chuckle out of your Yoda :)

Target has some good stuff! The table where I keep my Buddha statue, a bowl filled wiith sand (for my incense) and a little waterfall decoration. Me likey.

-bf
    edited March 2007
    I also wanted to share a picture of my Kannon statue. It stands nearly 18 inches high. I thought that would be a good thing, but I've found that it has been difficult to find an appropriate place for it. For those who are making an altar: I think it's better to start off small.
  • edited April 2007
    Hi everyone - I've really enjoyed this thread. Very inspiring to see everyone's sacred spaces.

This is my altar. It's very simple, which calms me. The green things that look like little lamps actually hold tealights. I have 2 incense burners. Got my buddha in a local decor shop for about $12. The "love", "peace", "harmony" stones were a wedding present. The black thing you see is a speaker, which I hope to move up onto another shelf, but for now I have several candles on top of it. I intend to add to my altar over time, but for now it looks like this:

altar.jpg
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited April 2007
    That's a lovely altar, Iris, and its great to meet you. I'm from Canada too.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2007
    This thread was started by jerbear.... Not wishing to take things OT.....

Anyone know what's happened to him....??
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited April 2007
    I haven't heard from him in quite a while and was just thinking about him the other day. Perhaps I should drop him a line? If I hear from him I'll ask him to pop in if he can.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited April 2007
    Oh, and WELCOME BACK, FEDE!!! :bigclap:
    We were very good while you were gone.

Little angel bodhisattva saints! :thumbsup:

Really! It's true!! We were cool!! :cool:

So glad to have you back!!
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited April 2007
    I'd like to hear from him too. Let me know if you connect.

BTW, Fede, Brigid was horrible while you were gone - staying up past her bedtime, telling stories, throwing green apples at the neighbor. Don't believe a word she says!

Palzang
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited April 2007
    But I told you, I don't like green apples!
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2007
    Well, given that the neighbour has just made the most lush apple pie ever, it seems it wasn't all bad....

Palzang.....

.......wipe your nose.
    edited April 2007
    .No............:rolleyes:

....Use a hanky.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited May 2007
    Awww! That was so cute! I just pictured Palzang as a little boy monk, and I don't know if that's the sparkle of intelligence or mischief in his eyes...
    edited May 2007
    My avatar is Palzang!!