Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

anxiety and depresion

upekkaupekka Veteran
edited September 2015 in General Banter

if i say

Anxiety means one worries so much about one's future, one is not sure about one's future, and become obsess with such thoughts, think so much about it and mind is not at peace and the Buddhist term for it is Uddhacca

Depression means one worries so much about one's past, what one couldn't, wouldn't, shouldn't have done or one did in the past and become obsess with such thoughts and mind is not at peace and the Buddhist term for it is Kukkucca

do you agree

or

if not why?

Comments

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

Partially agree. That can certainly be the case for some people. But I think over time we have learned there are a lot of different types of depression and anxiety, and different causes of them. I think saying that one is due to thoughts of the future and the other thoughts of the past is over-simplifying what are debilitating conditions for some people. We all get forms of anxiety and depression at times in our lives. That doesn't make them clinical. I was anxious when my grandma was dying, but I do not have an anxiety disorder. My worry, yes, was due to anticipation of future events. But for my ex who had horrific panic attacks, that was not the case.

robot
  • I don't think depression is always about the past. I think you are reducing complex conditions that manifest differently in different people into a simple sound bite of 'be present'. If being present cured depression and anxiety then meditation would be a billion dollar business.

karasti
  • Like the above, I partially agree.

Depression: The Webster's New World Thesaurus lists 27 different words corresponding to the term "Depression". It, as well as "Anxiety"*, has many causes and for most of us either one would be a temporary condition. For some, they are called "Clinical or Manic Depression" and "Sever Anxiety Disorder". They are then very serious Psychiatric conditions. Someone once called it as "Hell on wheels".
    As both @karasti and @Jeffrey pointed out, it "ain't that simple" and can't be reduces to a simple sound bite nor cured by just "Living in the present".

Again, clear as mud, but slog on!

Peace t all

*I didn't bother with a count on that one.

lobster
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

@Jeffrey said:
    I don't think depression is always about the past. I think you are reducing complex conditions that manifest differently in different people into a simple sound bite of 'be present'. If being present cured depression and anxiety then meditation would be a billion dollar business.

@Jeffrey
    Worldwide it is possible it already is...

"Americans spent $33.9 billion out-of-pocket on complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) over the previous 12 months, according to a 2007 government survey¹. CAM is a group of diverse medical and health care systems, practices, and products such as herbal supplements, meditation, chiropractic, and acupuncture that are not generally considered to be part of conventional medicine. CAM accounts for approximately 1.5 percent of total health care expenditures ($2.2 trillion²) and 11.2 percent of total out-of-pocket expenditures (conventional out-of-pocket: $286.6 billion² and CAM out-of-pocket: $33.9 billion¹) on health care in the United States."

https://nccih.nih.gov/news/2009/073009.htm

dantepw
  • dantepwdantepw Veteran
    edited September 2015

I think most of the pain from depression does come from the past, but depression is a very vast "field", its seed could be in the present as well (for instance, one being depressed because of the loss of a leg/arm/etc).

Meditation can lead to being in the present + accepting whatever arises, and I believe that is the key thing, both accepting the situation and not dwelling in harmful thoughts :)

lobster
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran
    edited September 2015

Everything happens in the present moment, even though depression and anxiety are mind trips either back to the past or ahead to the future, both are illusions that happen in the here & now

I think what @upekka is saying (but I could be wrong) is that the root of ones depression lies in a past event and ones habitual thinking patterns take one emotionally back there, and as for anxiety, one tries to paint a picture (more often than not... a disturbing one) of some possible future event ie the unknown, of which again, feelings and emotions accompany the thoughts...All this occurs in the 'here & now' but ones awareness is elsewhere, entangled in thoughts...

"If you fear you shall suffer....You already suffer what you fear !"

upekka