Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The 2008 Presidential Election.

JasonJason God EmperorArrakis Moderator
edited November 2008 in Buddhism Today
Everyone,

Like many Americans, I have never been very involved in the American political system. But for those of us in the United States who are of voting age or who will be of voting age in time to be eligible to vote in the 2008 presidential election, the next election is one of the most important presidential elections in this country's recent history for a variety of reasons. One important reason is that this is the first time since 1952 that neither major party has an incumbent president or vice president attempting to get their party's nomination. This fact alone helps to open up the potential for third party candidates.

In addition, given the position that the United States has been thrust into by the current administration, we are not only engaged in multiple military activities, but we are falling even further behind the rest of the world in areas such as education, health care, human rights, making serious commitments in reducing our impact on global warming and pollution in general, et cetera. If that were not enough to make this particular election so important, we are also in a position to witness history as there is a very real chance that either an African American or a woman could be voted in as President of the United States.

As practicing Buddhists and/or concerned citizens, now is the time to think about and discuss these issues, especially the direction that we would like to steer this great country. Therefore, this thread is open for predominately political discussions including, but not limited to, what candidates you are supporting and why, what key issues mean the most to you, ways in which your Buddhist beliefs and practices influence your political decisions, et cetera. Even if you are not of voting age or a U.S citizen, feel free to discuss your thoughts and opinions here as well since this election will effect the rest of the world.

Sincerely,

Jason

Comments

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited August 2007
    Everyone,

As for myself, I have never voted in a presidential elections before, but I think that it is about time that I exercise my right to vote. Therefore, I have been researching various potential candidates, and in particular, where they stand on certain key issues. Since I have not been very politically active, I know very little about the current political scene, and I have found this very helpful site that lists a variety of people being mentioned as possible, likely, speculative, or draft candidates for President in 2008. For each potential candidate, there is usually a list of links that will direct you to their official websites, if any, and this list of candidates includes third party candidates as well. Hm, maybe I should run for God Emporer of the United States...

Sincerely,

Jason
  • edited August 2007
    If you aren't a career politician or affliated with any of the "major" US parties, I'd vote for you! God Emporer shouldn't be given to someone who wants it, it should be given to someone who kicks and screams all the way to the WHite House..........
    edited August 2007
    Zopa Tenzing,
    If you aren't a career politician or affliated with any of the "major" US parties, I'd vote for you! God Emporer shouldn't be given to someone who wants it, it should be given to someone who kicks and screams all the way to the WHite House..........

Then I want you vote! I am NOT a career politician (in fact, I am currently unemployed), I am NOT affiliated with any political party, and I WILL squirm (seeing as how I am a god-like human/sandworm symbiote) and scream all the way to the White House!

Your Emporer,

Leto II
  • bushinokibushinoki Veteran
    edited August 2007
    God bless Dick Cheney and his frail heart. I have been watching very closely, and I think that if there is a decent 3rd party candidate who has a chance to win, I'll vote for him or her. Hopefully, this won't be as bad as the last election, where it came down to the lesser of two evils.
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited August 2007
    Elohim wrote: »
    This is the first time since 1952 that neither major party has an incumbent president or vice president attempting to get their party's nomination. This fact alone helps to open up the potential for third party candidates.

Interesting. Was not aware of that.

As for voting for you? Yes, if you'll change your religion to Mahayana. :D:D:D

(I hope you know this is a joke.)

It's crazy, really crazy this year. I collect political buttons and there are about fifty different Obama buttons out there and about 40 Hillary ones, too. My stuff is cluttered.

As for me, I'm voting for the voting device that will put my candidate in there, regardless of who the people truly elect.

Did anyone see HBO's MAN OF THE YEAR with Robin Williams? The character he played ran in only 17 of the biggest states and was able to "win" the election in the Electoral College. This is possible.

Frightening, isn't it?
    edited August 2007
    Nirvana,
    Nirvana wrote: »
    As for me, I'm voting for the voting device that will put my candidate in there, regardless of who the people truly elect.

Did anyone see HBO's MAN OF THE YEAR with Robin Williams? The character he played ran in only 17 of the biggest states and was able to "win" the election in the Electoral College. This is possible.

Frightening, isn't it?

Truth be told, I hate politics, and I have never been interested in the whole affair... but, I realized that by not contributing to the process I am not letting my voice be heard. Electing Bush was a bad idea, twice. Even so, I did not vote in either election, so my complaints are baseless since I did nothing to say, "Hey, I do not want you to be my President."

What has always bothered my about the voting process is that even if the majority were to vote for one person, the Electorate can disregard those votes and vote for whomever they choose. I believe that the 2000 presidential election proves my point—Gore won the popular vote (48.38% vs. 47.87%) while Bush won the Electoral vote (271 vs. 266).

My opinion is that the Electoral College has out-lasted its usefulness and should be removed. The system itself seems to be unecessarily complicated, and in certain states, heavily biased along party lines. In a true democracy, it should rely on a true majority vote. On top of that, the candidate that most represents my views is also kind of a kook. Sigh.

Jason
    edited August 2007
    The main reason for the electoral college is as a failsafe. Personally, I favor the New Hampshire system, where the college votes are split, each congressional district going to whoever won the popular vote in that district, and then the statewide votes going to whoever won the popular vote statewide. Also, California recently enacted a law stating that the electoral votes go to whoever wins the popular vote nationwide.
    edited August 2007
    bushinoki wrote: »
    California recently enacted a law stating that the electoral votes go to whoever wins the popular vote nationwide.

This is awesome. Somebody tell me more.

Imagine the election night roller coast ride this could bring about.
  • edited August 2007

Also, California recently enacted a law stating that the electoral votes go to whoever wins the popular vote nationwide.

So regardless what the "good citizens" of California say or vote, the electoral votes of the State go to the most popular candidate.

Figures, being as Hoolywood, celebrities, etc., etc.

:banghead:
  • MagwangMagwang Veteran
    edited August 2007
    According to at least one study, many people don't vote based on the issues, they vote based on a fear of death.

From an article in the New Republic by by John B. Judis:

There is...one group of scholars--members of the relatively new field of political psychology--who are trying to explain voter preferences that can't be easily quantified. The best general introduction to this field is Drew Westen's recent book, The Political Brain, but the research that is perhaps most relevant to the 2004 election has been conducted by psychologists Sheldon Solomon, Jeff Greenberg, and Tom Pyszczynski. In the early 1980s, they developed what they clumsily called "terror management theory." Their idea was not about how to clear the subways in the event of an attack, but about how people cope with the terrifying and potentially paralyzing realization that, as human beings, we are destined to die.

Their experiments showed that the mere thought of one's mortality can trigger a range of emotions--from disdain for other races, religions, and nations, to a preference for charismatic over pragmatic leaders, to a heightened attraction to traditional mores. Initially, the three scholars didn't attempt to apply their theory to elections. But, after September 11, they conducted experiments designed to do exactly that. What they found sheds new light on the role that fear of death plays in contemporary politics...

Read the full article here.

http://www.tnr.com/doc.mhtml?i=20070827&s=judis082707
    edited August 2007
    Actually, Zopa, 9 times out of 10, that is what will happen, as the popular vote usually goes to the Republican candidate. Usually along a 49% to 48% line. California essentially became a swing state.
  • edited August 2007
    Which is a rpoblem with the current Electoral College - a candidate who wins 50.1% of the popular vote receives all (55) of the electoral votes instead of a scalar approach that gives them out determined by percentage of popular vote received. This makes third and fourth parties practically useless.
    edited August 2007
    Yes, but it takes the power out of the hands of a very corrupt Democratic Party in California. Ultimately, New Hampshire's system is much better, where only the Senatorial votes go to the statewide winner, and each of the Congressional votes go to the winner of that district. But, also, if a third part runs and wins several states, with enough votes to defeat a Democratic candidate without California, It could very well turn out that he has enough votes to win against a republican candidate. The hardest part is getting such a candidate on the ballot in enough states.
    edited October 2007
    Has anyone taken this "Compatability" Report of how candidates line up with your views? It's interesting in that it allows you to register HOW STRONGLY you feel about the importance of your stand.
    http://www.wqad.com/Global/link.asp?L=259460

I did and Chris Dodd, the "Other Senator" from Connecticut came closest to mine.

On the other hand, I wanted to see who fulfilled the choice of my WORST DREAMS, by picking the "WRONG VIEWS" and ranking them as VERY, VERY IMPORTANT.

Fred Thompson got something like a 95% favorable.

I definitely am wary of that living corpse. Bush is bad enough.
  • edited October 2007
    I also got Chris Dodd at the top of my list.
    edited October 2007
    Nirvana,

I took your compatability test, and I got Kucinich, Gravel, and Dodd as my top three choices. I also took this compatability test, and I got Kucinich, Gravel, and Obama as my top three choices.

Jason
    edited October 2007
    Hey ELOHIM:

I took yours and Kucinich (51) came in at the top (no disagreements with me). Dodd (30) was behind Gravel (38), Clinton (37), Obama (35), and Edwards (33). Dodd tied with Richardson at 30.

It was interesting that one was able to mark some issues as "KEY."

These two rankings appear to use different yardsticks. Actually, on the other, all the Democrats were on one side of some invisible line and the Republicans on the other. On this one (http://www.dehp.net/candidate/index.php ) all the Republicans are in (my) NEGATIVE NUMBERS, and Romney is at Minus 40. Golly, he must keep his house cold.

As for Gravel, I gotta say that a Grouchy German is a Sour Kraut.
    edited October 2007
    If Romney gets the repub nom, I vote for him. If Giulianni gets the nom, I vote for Hilary.
  • edited October 2007
    I like Romney, but he just comes across as too slick for my liking. I'll probably vote Republican. McCain doesn't have the energy. It is a toss up between Rudy and Romney right now.
  • edited October 2007
    I despise choosing between two evils. If forced to do so I will vote for the green people.

Romney ?? Another religous nut ?

Cheers ...
  • edited October 2007

Very true. George Washington didn't want to be president...and he definitely didn't want to serve a second term. He was being asked to serve a 3rd term as well, but declined...setting the two-term as the norm.
  • edited October 2007
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember reading somewhere that Kucinich was Buddhist...he lists as Catholic in Jason's link (it came as a shock, really! I'm pretty sure it was an article from a buddhist magazine---I'll try to locate it!) I'm registered Republican but I never vote the Party line because of that...only for the best candidate each time!
  • edited November 2007
    Which is a rpoblem with the current Electoral College - a candidate who wins 50.1% of the popular vote receives all (55) of the electoral votes instead of a scalar approach that gives them out determined by percentage of popular vote received. This makes third and fourth parties practically useless.

California will have an initiative on the ballot that will switch from winner-take-all electoral votes, to winner takes only the congressional districts won. Nebraska & Maine have such a system now. It is more fair and will increase political involvement by many. Now, all Democrats in a Republican dominated state waste their votes because the Republican winner gets all the electoral votes. Flip the scenario for Republicans in a Democrat dominated state.

Here is the site: http://calcounts.com/
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited November 2007
    Although this thread has made little reference to the Dharma or to Buddhism in general, it clearly engages the attention of the posters and, I believe, raises real questions about democracy, globalisation and interconnectedness.

USA Inc. is a global brand with outlets in most countries and an effect on far more people that the few million who have the right to vote. Some of us remember that the current Chief Executive could not even remember the name of the man who had unlawfully used the military to take over the government of Pakistan - and who is still there.

We, outwith the USA. know the reality of the fact that when the US sneezes, the world catches a cold. Despite this fact, recently evidenced by the global effect of disastrous mortgage lending at home, those of us who suffer as a result have no democratic recourse against this potentially overwhelming power.

It has been the legacy of the revolutionary states (France, the US and Russia) to try spreading their political and economic 'gospel' with armed force. Napoleon tried and failed. The Soviet experiment lasted a little longer and its collapse has brought misery and terror. One can worry what will happen if (I hesitate to say "when") the US experiment goes the same way.

The old anarchist statement resonates: it doesn't matter who you vote for because the government always gets in. As a child, I was always puzzled by elections in the USSR. After all, only communists were allowed to stand. It is argued that the situation in the US is a mirror-image of the same thing: only capitalists stand or have any chance of winning. As has been said, no honest humanist would have a snowflake's chance in hell were they to admit to being (hush! speak not the word) an atheist. No room for a Buddhist then! In fact, I wonder whether a non0theist Buddhist would actually stand less chance of election than a 'nice' Muslim.

It would matter less were the US not spread, economically and militarily, across the surface of the globe. It is the reach of power and the claim to virtue that worry those of us who will bear the effects of the US elections without any voice in choosing those who drag us into conflict or penury.
  • JohnC.KimbroughJohnC.Kimbrough Explorer
    edited January 2008
    It seems to me that all of the candidates show themselves at times to be under the influence of the diflements and hindrances, and also at times show some development of the seven factors of enlightenment.
  • edited January 2008
    Nirvana wrote: »
    Interesting. Was not aware of that.

As for voting for you? Yes, if you'll change your religion to Mahayana. :D:D:D

:lol::usflag:
    edited January 2008
    As far as we are into the primaries, and we still don't have a clear front-runner on either side. This is definitely one of the most entertaining election years ever.
    edited January 2008
    As you say, Bushi: no front-runners but lots of mud to be slung yet.

And there are a few actual elections happening this year before the US Presidential which have the potential to change many things in the global situation:

Taiwan;
    Pakistan;
    Iran;
    Russia;
    Zimbabwe.

The timetable and some details of the issues at stake across 5 continents are here:
    http://www.foreignpolicy.com/story/cms.php?story_id=4129
    edited January 2008
    We here in South Carolina vote tomorrow. I don't think Edwards will do better than third, and expect that Hillary Clinton will either win or come very close. Obama winning is also very possible, but I think unlikely. So many people of color are just demoralized by 2000. They claim that unwanted votes are just thrown away and ignored and that the system will select whoever they want regardless of how people actually vote. If Obama does well it will be do to a heavy turnout of the youth of all stripes and colors.

However, I do wish that they'd let non brain-dead states weigh in before S.C. Reality is one thing and the way people think here is something quite another.

Critical Thinking down here just means thinking ill of other people. However, the Democrats generally seem to exist on a higher level.
    edited January 2008
    Simon, those are some important elections going on. Taiwan is a major point of contention between the US and China.

I'm one of those that doesn't trust Vladimir Putin, so a replacement could be a good thing.

Ahmedinejad is a major unknown, as many of his views are considered liberal by hardline Shi'ite Muslims. Yet he still likes to rattle his saber at the US.

Pakistan has been a tenuous ally of the US, which I would like to see that alliance strengthen over time.

And I don't know much about Zimbabwe in particular, but the African Continent is always a hotbed of strife, so any leader that can stabilize a nation there is a good thing.
    edited February 2008
    Simon, those are some important elections going on. Taiwan is a major point of contention between the US and China.

I'm one of those that doesn't trust Vladimir Putin, so a replacement could be a good thing.

Ahmedinejad is a major unknown, as many of his views are considered liberal by hardline Shi'ite Muslims. Yet he still likes to rattle his saber at the US.

Pakistan has been a tenuous ally of the US, which I would like to see that alliance strengthen over time.

And I don't know much about Zimbabwe in particular, but the African Continent is always a hotbed of strife, so any leader that can stabilize a nation there is a good thing.

Zimbabwe is a catastrophe. President Mugabe has turned a prosperous and peaceful country into a bankrupt autocracy. It is a threat to the whole of Southern Africa, if not beyond. I could write more - and it is a topic about which every Brit needs to feel involved - but, as is obvious, the outcomes of this year appear to be crucial and the omens are far from good.
    edited February 2008
    Simon, the omens are always far from good, but as long as there are people such as ourselves, willing to stand watch, working in whatever way for the long term good, there is always hope.
  • edited February 2008
    Well, it looks like it is going to be McCain vs. Obama if trends continue.

McCain's got my vote.
    edited February 2008
    Same here, KoB. Love the new avatar, btw. Have you seen Live Free or Die Hard?
  • edited February 2008
    Same here, KoB. Love the new avatar, btw. Have you seen Live Free or Die Hard?

Yes, but the original will always be my favorite.
  • edited February 2008
    True, but truth is the answer. I can honestly say I have never met somebody who is not willing to “stand watch” for the better good. What I have seen is Americans living in fear and turning that fear it to great hatred to people they don’t even know. It saddens me when I hear my former military members speak in a one minded way “we must steer the course” and “we must not cut and run” “let us win” One of the best statement said to me when I was signing by DD214 was, you are no longer a robot.
    We need leaders who can lead for the better of all. You know the saying “everyone wants peace”

I think America needs a change, and my opinion is McCain is not change. After the last 8 years I’m willing to roll the dice and believe in the hope and fight for a change.
  • edited February 2008
    True, but truth is the answer. I can honestly say I have never met somebody who is not willing to “stand watch” for the better good. What I have seen is Americans living in fear and turning that fear it to great hatred to people they don’t even know. It saddens me when I hear my former military members speak in a one minded way “we must steer the course” and “we must not cut and run” “let us win” One of the best statement said to me when I was signing by DD214 was, you are no longer a robot.
    We need leaders who can lead for the better of all. You know the saying “everyone wants peace”

I think America needs a change, and my opinion is McCain is not change. After the last 8 years I’m willing to roll the dice and believe in the hope and fight for a change.

I wouldn't mind change either. But what change? Change from what...to what?

If you mean doing away with affirmative action, then sure, I want change! If you mean doing away with the income tax, then I want change as well! If this is what change is, then by golly, I'm a progressive liberal!

But if by change, you mean higher taxes, bigger government, and socialized medicine, then I will vote for conservative republicans.
  • edited February 2008
    I wouldn't mind change either. But what change? Change from what...to what?

If you mean doing away with affirmative action, then sure, I want change! If you mean doing away with the income tax, then I want change as well! If this is what change is, then by golly, I'm a progressive liberal!

But if by change, you mean higher taxes, bigger government, and socialized medicine, then I will vote for conservative republicans.

Liberal stands for peoples rights, look it up! and the only person who said away with income tax is Ron Paul.

Conservative republicans! didn't work for Bush 1 and 2 and didn't work for ronald reagan so yep! change is bad very bad.
  • edited February 2008
    Liberal stands for peoples rights, look it up! and the only person who said away with income tax is Ron Paul.

Conservative republicans! didn't work for Bush 1 and 2 and didn't work for ronald reagan so yep! change is bad very bad.

"Liberalism" is such a broad term. On one hand, it can refer to left-leaning socialists or anti-free market folks. And on the other hand, you have "classical liberalism" which is more of your fiscal conservative, weaker government types.

Actually, Mike Huckabee has also spoken out very strongly against income tax. I actually plan on voting for him in the primary next month, even though I know I will end up voting for McCain in November.

I want a weaker state. Less regulation, lower taxes, and such. Why would I want higher taxes?
  • edited February 2008
    Take 9:28min and listen. Every example he uses (womens vote, slavey, civil rights, union rights) is bad how. Yes hope

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ffwY74XbS4&feature=related
  • edited February 2008
    "Liberalism" is such a broad term. On one hand, it can refer to left-leaning socialists or anti-free market folks. And on the other hand, you have "classical liberalism" which is more of your fiscal conservative, weaker government types.

Actually, Mike Huckabee has also spoken out very strongly against income tax. I actually plan on voting for him in the primary next month, even though I know I will end up voting for McCain in November.

I want a weaker state. Less regulation, lower taxes, and such. Why would I want higher taxes?

When people exept the fact the rich are getting richer and the middle class is taking it the worse, regulation and tax are good.

Mike Huckabee? I wouldn't have guest that with any person on this site, you know since it's a buddhist site and all. I like my religious freedom.
  • JohnC.KimbroughJohnC.Kimbrough Explorer
    edited February 2008
    Having lived in Asia for the last 21 years, I have seldom been interested in the political situation or leadership of the U.S.

The Buddha teaches us that we all have skillful and unskillful states of consciousness. I guess we can interpret that as meaning that we are all imperfect and all wise, or at least have the ability to be and go each way.

It seems that all of the men and women who have run and are running for the presidency of the U.S. have the ability to do a good job as the leader of the U.S.
    edited February 2008
    Yeah, but John, Barak Obama terrifies me. Not just scares, terrifies. Just too much of his past he won't openly acknowledge or outright denounce. Brigid, if he gets elected, can I join you in Canada?
    edited February 2008
    Nothing so demonstrates how Buddhism has to evolve as the adoption of democracy. Gotama never had to ask himself or his followers how to discern the best candidate. We have to do this for ourselves, applying our poor understanding of the Noble Eightfold Path and with the firm intention of benefit to all beings.
  • edited February 2008
    When people exept the fact the rich are getting richer and the middle class is taking it the worse, regulation and tax are good.

Mike Huckabee? I wouldn't have guest that with any person on this site, you know since it's a buddhist site and all. I like my religious freedom.

Not everyone that likes Mike Huckabee is a backwards, bible thumping creationist. Quite to the contrary, I am an atheist and firm believer in evolution, but really...the president has much more influence on economic matters than social ones.

And what does being a Buddhist have to be with despising the conservative view of government anyway?

And so when the middle class falls on hard times, we should tax them more? This is why I'm voting republican.
  • edited February 2008
    Take 9:28min and listen. Every example he uses (womens vote, slavey, civil rights, union rights) is bad how. Yes hope

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ffwY74XbS4&feature=related

And in response to Obama's speech....

I am woefully uninspired.

This country is one of the least racist countries in the world. People need to get out of the 50's. And I don't believe slavery has really been a matter of much concern since the 1860s here.

Sure, young people getting excited might be a good thing. But it depends on what they're getting excited about. If they're getting excited about high taxes and big government, then I would rather have them stay apathetic.

And if he wants an alternative energy source, try nuclear power.

He also lacks an understanding of the free market when he criticizes oil companies for making "profit"...as if that were some kind of dirty word. What costs more at a gas station? A gallon of water or a gallon of oil? You'd be surprised.

Oh, I mean hopefulness is great! But it depends on what you're hoping for.

And all this talk of "let's come together" rhetoric is nonsense. How does he plan on "bringing people together" on the war? Or abortion? Or taxes? Or immigration? Etc...

The only people that have ever come close to truly transcending political differences were the Soviets under Stalin's rule, where all opposition was crushed.
  • edited February 2008
    I apologize this has turned in to a mud slinging conversation. Tis the season to be jolly!:usflag:
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2008
    Yeah, but John, Barak Obama terrifies me. Not just scares, terrifies. Just too much of his past he won't openly acknowledge or outright denounce. Brigid, if he gets elected, can I join you in Canada?
    You bet! I'd love to have you!! You're welcome anytime. Lol!!!
  • edited February 2008
    I apologize this has turned in to a mud slinging conversation. Tis the season to be jolly!:usflag:

I have slung no such mud. I am uninterested in any of these candidates' personal lives. The fact that a presidential candidate is black/white/woman/etc has no bearing on who I would vote for.

What I am concerned about are candidates' values. And frankly, I don't like Obama's or Hillary's. Disagreement should not be confused with mud slinging.
    edited February 2008
    I have slung no such mud. I am uninterested in any of these candidates' personal lives. The fact that a presidential candidate is black/white/woman/etc has no bearing on who I would vote for.

What I am concerned about are candidates' values. And frankly, I don't like Obama's or Hillary's. Disagreement should not be confused with mud slinging.

You raise an interesting question, KoB.

I have never been entirely sure whether I prefer a person with strong, even inflexible, honestly-held values as national leader. The historical examples aren't terribly encouraging. The revolutionary leader known to be incorruptible and a vehement opponent of the death penalty was Robespierre, and we all know what horrors he initiated and led.

For those of us who take seriously the droplet of democracy permitted to us, the choice of a person to lead the executive branch of government brings up all sorts of reflections:

The first of all there is the question of 'track record'
    * Has the person given evidence of being able to do this sort of job? What training and experience have they had?
    * Has the person's life up to now demonstrated those virtues with which I want such a chief executive to be endowed? This includes, very importantly, how they have handled dukkha. I don't want someone who has never struggled with life's problems.
    * Has the person demonstrated a care for all people, including their opponents?
    * Has the person demonstrated a positive commitment to democratic principles and ideals?

All other considerations arise from these - for me, at least.