Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Which jhanas have you experienced?

I was reading a short article about the 9 jhanas here, and it got me to thinking about just how common it is for meditators to experience them.

If you wouldn't mind sharing, has anyone here experienced any of the jhanas? If so, which ones? What were they like? Did your experiences change you in any way?

Any answers are much appreciated!

Comments

• Certainly familiar with all these:

Delightful Sensations
    Joy
    Contentment
    Utter peacefulness
    Infinity of space
    Infinity of consciousness
    No-thingness
    Neither perception nor non-perception
    Cessation

Also mentioned:

• euphoria (very nice too)
    • trance :3 yep can drift into that

At high levels of jhana super-normal powers may occur. There are even reports of walking on water and other super human feats by gurus and monks who had attained high levels of jhana.

Ay curumba, beyond my pay grade and experience. Though I have some spooky powers, I can not fly or walk on water. [lobster fills out own report: must try harder ... or not ...]

Bodhivaka
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@Bodhivaka said: If you wouldn't mind sharing, has anyone here experienced any of the jhanas? If so, which ones? What were they like? Did your experiences change you in any way?

I've had some experience of jhana, though usually while on retreat and doing a lot of meditation. I found such experiences to be nourishing for practice, and it was also instructive and inspiring to realise that consciousness/mind can be much more than the usual everyday version we get used to. An experience I particularly remember was connected to the stage of infinite space, it was like coming out of a dark tunnel into a bright open landscape, very exhilarating.

lobsterBodhivaka
  • Fikus_ReligiosaFikus_Religiosa Russia New
    edited March 2016

First four rupa-jhanas may be experienced even by the non-trained people, though very occasionally. For the other four - arupa-jhanas - systemized training is required. This is definitely so with my practice. Cessation-jhana is nirvana.

• sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran

I think any advanced practitioner would refuse to comment as sharing attainments is something kinda taboo in traditional dharma. If it was helpful we could talk about it, but as it just engenders envy and un-useful emotions I think it's best to keep this sort of talk between you and your close spiritual friend / guide. Just my 2cents.

ZenshinlobsterBodhivaka