Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What is Rebirth?

edited April 2009 in Buddhism Basics
My take: Every moment of consciousness that has passed is dead. The folding paper doll corpse-row of memory impressions is a part of the necessary condition for new moments to arise and develop into present of the next and on and on; the boundary cannot be discerned. All there is is the present. Death in the colloquial sense is just that of one of an innumerable series of interrelated conscious moments that coincides with the dissolution of the body.

What is rebirth in Buddhism?

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2009
    I'd say, in my ignorant and ineloquent view, you've pretty much got it..... death is the transition of consciousness from one existence to another....

As Voltaire said:
    "It should be no more suprising to be born twice, as it was to have been born once...."

still really trying to get to grips with it, but I'm easy on it. Not stressed.....
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited April 2009
    lornwight wrote: »

I'm no Buddhist scholar and there will be some who might correct this, but, in a word rebirth is UNFINISHED BUSINESS or desire revisiting significant scenes or places one has known in a prior life.

In a sense it is the basis of a very nonjudgmental philosophy that tells you that you have many lifetimes to do what you have to do and there is no condemnation in not getting everything completely squared away right the first hundred lifetimes or whatever.

In that sense rebirth is a very generous conceptualization, also. The good news is that Reality is not so stingy as to allow you only one chance and one set of physical circumstances and that you are thereby freer to be less attached to your phenomenal self. It's that "clutching" to things that binds us.

Even Judaeo-Christian thought has precedents for reincarnation. Remember the Levites asking John the Baptist if he was Elias (reborn)?

Just a few, short words. More will follow by others.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited April 2009
    There are different kinds of "rebirth" in Buddhism. For some, it is a new life after this life. For others, it is the consequences of one's actions coming into fruition at a future time. For others, it is the re-emergence of craving, attachment & 'self-view'. When the mind is not at peace with an aspect of reality, 'self-based anxiety or becoming' arises or returns. There is still something about reality that is not understood. If we are still questioning, this too can be a kind of rebirth. :)
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited April 2009
    DD is right. There are a number of different kinds of rebirth in Buddhism. But in general, rebirth is a complex and uninterrupted process of arising and ceasing in which both consciousness and craving play an important role, whether from moment to moment or life to life.
  • edited April 2009
    Thank you. The concept makes sense to me until the point where rebirth = literal reincarnation. I do not understand how or in what sense one's consciousness is supposed to be reborn from one body to another (a small portal behind a filing cabinet on the 7½ floor of the Mertin Flemmer building). Does Buddhist philosophy explicitly reject the position that specific mental events are contingent upon corresponding physical events in the brain?

federica wrote: »
    As Voltaire said:
    "It should be no more surprising to be born twice, as it was to have been born once...."
    But it would be rather difficult to squeeze through at this point. :lol:

[FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]
    edited April 2009
    Does Buddhist philosophy explicitly reject the position that specific mental events are contingent upon corresponding physical events in the brain?
    Lornwight

My view is a definite "no" to your question. However, this is a contentious answer. To avoid debate, I am happy to answer your question if you post it at buddhaforum.org.

Kind regards

DDhatu :)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2009
    Re-birth never equals literal reincarnation.
    Reincarnation figures in Tibetan Buddhism because advanced Lamas are said to be able to control their own re-births and accurately direct their consciousness to manifest within another being. They make a decision of what body to manifest in.....
    The subsequent search and analysis of this newborn being can take years, and there are scrupulous and exhaustive tests to determine the accuracy of the divination of the person being the re-born Lama. (called a Tulku).
    But the re-born lama is also a being in his - or her - own right. So it is not a complete and identical duplicate, as in genetics.... There is no physical connection at all...

I think I am correct in saying other schools do not ascribe to this process of re-incarnation.
    Certainly Theravada does not.
    edited April 2009
    lornwight,
    Does Buddhist philosophy explicitly reject the position that specific mental events are contingent upon corresponding physical events in the brain?

Not exactly. The Buddha didn't reject that specific mental events are contingent upon corresponding physical events in the brain, but he didn't explicitly promote it either. In The Buddha and His Teachings, for example, Narada Thera notes that, "In the Patthana, the Book of Relations, the Buddha refers to the seat of consciousness, in such indirect terms as 'yam rupam nissaya—depending on that material thing', without positively asserting whether that rupa was either the heart (hadaya) or the brain. But, according to the view of commentators like Venerable Buddhaghosa and Anuruddha, the seat of consciousness is definitely the heart. It should be understood that the Buddha neither accepted nor rejected the popular cardiac theory" (425).

But even though the Buddha detailed the mutual dependency of mental and physical activity and consciousness (DN 15), he wasn't a strict materialist either. In regard to name-and-form (i.e., mentality-materiality), he didn't see consciousness as merely the byproduct of matter; he saw them as mutually sustaining immaterial and material phenomena, and used an analogy of two sheaves of reeds leaning against one another to illustrate their relationship (SN 12.67).

That being said, rebirth is essentially renewal of existence. As with most Eastern philosophies and religions, Buddhism does not view death as the final end of phenomena. In Buddhism, only nibbana is said to be the final end of phenomena in regards to the arising and passing away of beings (AN 10.58). According to the teachings on dependent origination, if there are sufficient conditions present, those conditions with inevitably result in future births (SN 12.35). Along with consciousness, craving (tahna) plays a vital role in the renewal of beings and the production of future births.

To illustrate how craving could result in future births, the Buddha used a simile in which he compared the sustenance of a flame to that of a being at the time of death. Essentially, a flame burns in dependence on its fuel, and that fuel sustains it. When a flame burns in dependence on wood, for example, the wood sustains that flame. However, when a flame is swept up and carried away by the wind, the fuel of wind sustains that flame until it lands upon a new source of fuel. In the same way, a being at the time of death has the fuel of craving as its sustenance (SN 44.9).

The last consciousness of a being at the time of death, with the presence of craving, is said to be the cause for the arising of a new consciousness. In the human realm, this would be in combination with the union of a healthy sperm and egg, although the Buddha often mentioned various other forms of birth in other realms of existence—none of which are free from suffering. Hence, the Buddha states, "Wherever there is a basis for consciousness, there is support for the establishing of consciousness. When consciousness is established and has come to growth, there is the production of renewed existence" (SN 12.38). The Buddha never really got more specific than that, though.

Jason
    edited April 2009
    Elohim wrote: »
    In Buddhism, only nibbana is said to be the final end of phenomena in regards to the arising and passing away of beings (AN 10.58).
    Elohim

The above sutta is mistranslated. If one reads it with some logic, it makes so sense. For example, it states "all things are rooted in desire". Now a rock or block of cement is part of "all things" but it has no desire.

The Pali in this sutta is "sabbe dhamma". Sabbe means "all". The word dhamma is translated in many ways. Here, the word dhamma does not mean phenomena. It means dhamma practices, in the same manner as the quote below:
    "O Bhikkhus. The footprints of all land-bound creatures fit within the footprint of the elephant; the elephant's footprint is said to be the supreme footprint in terms of size. Similarly all skilful dhammas have heedfulness as their base, converge within the bounds of heedfulness. Heedfulness may be said to be supreme amongst those dhammas." [S.V.43]
    This, the sutta you have quoted states: "All dhamma practices culiminate in Nibbana". "All dhamma practises have Nibbana as their fulfilment".

Similary, the first teaching in this sutta is about "chanda". The Pali states: "Sabbe dhamma mulaka chanda - all practises are rooted in chanda". Chanda is the first of the iddhapada, as listed in many suttas, such as the Iddhipada-vibhanga Sutta. Chanda is more correctly translated as "zeal". Chanda here is a wholesome dhamma and a factor of the path.

About Nibbana, as you are aware, the suttas state Nibbana is the cessation of greed, hatred & delusion here & now.

With metta

DDhatu
    edited April 2009
    "Wherever there is a basis for consciousness, there is support for the establishing of consciousness. When consciousness is established and has come to growth, there is the production of renewed existence" (SN 12.38). The Buddha never really got more specific than that, though.
    Teachings such as this are interpretated in various ways.

The first teaching of the Buddha was the Four Noble Truths. Here, when ellucidated the origin of suffering, the Buddha said: "It is craving, which leads to new existence or new becoming (bhava), with lust & delight, liking this and liking that".

Becoming is something mental. The mind becomes angry, sad, a Buddhist, an American, a mother, a father, etc. This is simple for us to comprehend.

Thus, when Buddha states: "when consciousness is established and has come to growth, there is the production of new becoming", this can be taken to merely mean consciousness becomes absorbed or fixated upon a certain sense experience. This is the meaning of the word "delight", namely nandi in Pali. This obsessiveness is stated in the sutta quoted:
    "If one doesn't intend and doesn't arrange, but one still obsesses [about something], this is a support for the stationing of consciousness."
    Thus we can view these various teachings in a psychological way or in a physical way, depending on our inclinations.

With metta

edited April 2009
    To understand the word 'birth' is also important. For example, in the suttas (no link at the moment), the Buddha said there are four kinds of generation or birth, namely, generation from an egg, generation from moisture, generation from a womb and generation from spontaneous birth (opapatika) due to kamma. Kamma is intention.

In the Parileyyaka Sutta, the birth of the assumption of 'self' is mentioned, where it states:
    There is the case where an uninstructed person, assumes form to be the self. That assumption is a fabrication. Now what is the cause, what is the origination, what is the birth (jati), what is the coming-into-existence of that fabrication? To an uninstructed person, touched by that which is felt born of contact with ignorance, craving arises. That fabrication [of self] is born of that.
    Therefore, we can view these various teachings in a psychological way or in a physical way, depending on our inclinations. We can view 'birth' as something mental or something physical.

For example, even in our ordinary language, we use phrases such as "a star is born", "a nation is born", "the birth of an idea".

With metta

edited April 2009
    The above sutta is mistranslated. If one reads it with some logic, it makes so sense. For example, it states "all things are rooted in desire". Now a rock or block of cement is part of "all things" but it has no desire.

The Pali in this sutta is "sabbe dhamma". Sabbe means "all". The word dhamma is translated in many ways. Here, the word dhamma does not mean phenomena. It means dhamma practices, in the same manner as the quote below:

This, the sutta you have quoted states: "All dhamma practices culiminate in Nibbana". "All dhamma practises have Nibbana as their fulfilment".

That's an interesting possibility, and it's not the first time I've seen it suggested, but I'm not convinced that your interpretation is the correct one. To be honestly, DD, I see little reason to doubt Thanissaro's translation or the ancient commentary's position (which can be found at the bottom of the page) on this particular issue.
    edited April 2009
    Becoming is something mental.

Bhava is quite an interesting word. In his translation of the Samyutta Nikaya, for example, Bhikkhu Bodhi explains:
    Bhava, in MLDB, was translated as "being." In seeking an alternative, I had first experimented with "becoming," but when the shortcomings in this choice were pointed out to me I decided to return to "existence," used in my earlier translations. Bhava, however, is not "existence" in the sense of the most universal ontological category, that which is shared by everything from the dishes in the kitchen sink to the numbers in mathmatical equation. Existence to the latter sense is covered by the verb atthi and the abstract noun atthita. Bhava is concrete sentient existence in one of the three realms posited by Buddhist cosmology, a span of life beginning with conception and ending in death. In the formula of dependent origination it is understood to mean both (i) the active side of life that produces rebirth into a particular mode of sentient existence, in other words rebirth-producing kamma; and (ii) the mode of sentient existence that results from such activity. (53)

Additionally, in his book, The Paradox of Becoming, Thanissaro Bhikkhu gives a pretty detailed analysis of this term.
    Thus we can view these various teachings in a psychological way or in a physical way, depending on our inclinations.

Of course, I think that the teachings apply equally to both, not just one or the other.
    edited April 2009
    I'm not convinced that your interpretation is the correct one. To be honestly, DD, I see little reason to doubt Thanissaro's translation or the ancient commentary's position (which can be found at the bottom of the page) on this particular issue.
    Elohim

I am convinced I am completely correct because none of the sutta makes sense. Rocks and blocks of cement do not "converge on feelings". However, all skilful dhammas converge on feelings because all skilful dhammas have the goal of establishing sati-sampajanna (mindfulness & clear comprehension) on feelings so craving does not arise, as discussed in countless suttas such as MN 37 and 38. In AN 3.61, the Buddha states:
    For those who feel, I teach the Four Noble Truths.

MN 37 states:
    Whatever a practitioner feels, they contemplate impermanence in those feelings. Thus they are liberated thru the destruction of craving and personally attain Nibbana.
    Similarly, all phenomena do not have release as their heartwood. In fact, all phenomena are not even possessed of wisdom or concentration.

'All phenomena [such as rocks and blocks of cement] have mindfulness as their governing principle.' Think about it. How could one not be convinced?

:)
    edited April 2009
    Elohim

I am convinced I am completely correct because none of the sutta makes sense. Rocks and blocks of cement do not "converge on feelings".

'All phenomena [such as rocks and blocks of cement] have mindfulness as their governing principle.' Think about it. How could one not be convinced?

:)

Isn't it more about the person who laid the blocks of cement and the rocks? Isn't it about having feelings anbout the inanimate structure, taking pride in it and loving it, forgetting that it too will crumble into dust?

You know, I am as basic in my knowledge and understanding as anyone who has never studied or even heard of Buddhism. I make no secret of my ineptitude. But sometimes, i think if words are taken too literally as being simply black and white, we could lose the essence of the message.
    Of course, I could be talking total and utter claptrap. Wouldn't be the first time. I am at the level of the doofus given the job of sweeping and cleaning, with one difference. I don't see me being enlightened by my inability to grasp things.
    Elohim, if I'm talking turdish, just let me know, there's a good lad.....
    edited April 2009
    DD,
    Think about it. How could one not be convinced?

To begin with, the term "dhammā," often translated as "phenomena," can mean anything that arises in our experience or anything that is directly experienced in and of itself.

Furthermore, in the context of this sutta, the ancient commentary equates the phrase "all phenomena" with the five aggregates, which Thanissaro Bhikkhu notes is most likely "an expansion on MN 109, in which the five clinging-aggregates are said to be rooted in desire, an assertion echoed in SN 42.11, which states that suffering & stress are rooted in desire."

And as far as I can see, there's nothing inconsistent about Thanissaro's translation:
    "All phenomena [the aggregates] are rooted in desire.

"All phenomena [the aggregates] come into play through attention.

"All phenomena [the aggregates] have contact as their origination.

"All phenomena [the aggregates] have feeling as their meeting place.

"All phenomena [the aggregates] have concentration as their presiding state.

"All phenomena [the aggregates] have mindfulness as their governing principle.

"All phenomena [the aggregates] have discernment as their surpassing state.

"All phenomena [the aggregates] have release as their heartwood.

"All phenomena [the aggregates] gain their footing in the deathless.

"All phenomena [the aggregates] have Unbinding as their final end."

In fact, that's how Nyanaponika Thera translates it:
    "... It may be, monks, that wandering ascetics of another persuasion should ask you: 'In what are all things rooted? Whereby do they come to actual existence? Where do they arise? Where do they converge? What is the foremost in all things? What is their master? What is the highest of all things? What is the essence in all things? Where do all things merge? Where do they end?'

"If thus questioned, monks, you should reply in the following way:

"'All things are rooted in the will. All things come to actual existence through attention. All things arise from contact. All things converge on feelings. Of all things the foremost is concentration. All things are mastered by mindfulness. Of all things the highest is wisdom. In all things the essence is liberation. All things merge in the Deathless. And Nibbaana is the ending of all things.'"

As well as Bhikkhu Bodhi:
    "It may be, O monks, that wandering ascetics of another persuasion might ask you: "In what are all things rooted? How do they come to actual existence? Where do they arise? Where do they converge? What is the foremost in all things? What is their master? What is the highest of all things? What is the essence in all things? Where do all things merge? Where do they end?

If you are thus questioned, monks, you should reply as follows: "All things are rooted in desire. They come to actual existence through attention, originate from contact, and converge on feelings. The foremost of all things is concentration. All things are mastered by mindfulness. Their peak is wisdom, their essence liberation. All things merge in the Deathless, and Nibbana is their culmination."

Further support of this interpretation is the fact that the original Pali being translated as "phenomena" is the plural form of dhammā (ending with a long ā):
    Sace bhikkhave aññatitthiyā paribbājakā evaṃ puccheyyuṃ: "kimmūlakā āvuso sabbe dhammā, kiṃ sambhavā sabbe dhammā, kiṃsamudayā sabbe dhammā kiṃsamosaraṇā sabbe dhammā, kiṃpamukhā sabbe dhammā, kimādhipateyyā sabbe dhammā, kiṃuttarā sabbe dhammā, kiṃsārā sabbe dhammā, kiṃogadhā sabbeba dhammā, kiṃpariyosānā sabbe dhammāti?" Evaṃ phuṭṭhā tumhe bhikkhave tesaṃ aññatitthiyānaṃ paribbājakānaṃ kinti byākareyyāthāti?

Bhagavammūlakā no bhante dhammā, bhagavanenattikā, bhagavaṃpaṭisaraṇā sādhu vata bhante bhagavantaṃ yeva paṭihātu etassa bhāsitassa attho. Bhagavato sutvā bhikkhu dhāressantīti.

Tena hi bhikkhave suṇātha, sādhukaṃ manasikarotha, bhāsissāmī ti. Evaṃ bhanteti kho te bhikkhu bhagavato paccassosuṃ bhagavā etadavoca:

[BJT Page 192]

Sace bhikkhave aññatitthiyā paribbājakā evaṃ puccheyyuṃ: kimmūlakā āvuso sabbe dhammā, kiṃsambhavā sabbe dhammā. Kiṃsamudayā sabbe dhammā, kiṃsamosaraṇā [PTS Page 107] sabbe dhammā, kiṃpamukhā sabbe dhammā, kiṃādhipateyyā sabbe dhammā, kiṃuttarā sabbe dhammā, kiṃsārā sabbe dhammā, kiṃogadhā sabbe dhammā, kiṃpariyosānā sabbe dhammāti. Evaṃ puṭṭhā tumhe bhikkhave tesaṃ aññatitthiyānaṃ paribbājakānaṃ evaṃ vyākareyyātha:

Chandamūlakā āvuso sabbe dhammā, manasikārasambhavā sabbe dhammā, phassasamudayā sabbe dhammā vedanā samosaraṇa sabbe dhammā, samādhipamukhā sabbe dhammā, satādhipateyyā sabbe dhammā, paññuttarā sabbe dhammā, vimuttisārā sabbe dhammā, amatogadhā sabbe dhammā, nibbāna pariyosānā sabbe dhammāti. Evaṃ puṭṭhā tumhe bhikkhave tesaṃ aññatitthiyānaṃ paribbājakānaṃ evaṃ vyākareyyāthāti.

Although I'm no expert in Pali, my understanding is that the plural form "dhammā" is almost never used to refer to teachings. That is more commonly found with the singular form "dhamma" (ending with a short a).

I'm not saying that your interpretation is wrong, it's certainly plausible, but considering all of the above, I'm still not convinced that your interpretation is the correct one.

Jason
    edited April 2009
    DDhatu wrote: »
    And as far as I can see, there's alot inconsistent about Thanissaro's translation:
    "The body [form aggregate] is rooted in desire. :confused:

"The body [form aggregate] comes into play through attention. :)

"The body [form aggregate] has contact as its origination. :)

"The body [form aggregate] has feeling as its meeting place. :eek:

"The body [form aggregate] has concentration as its presiding state. :eek:

"The body [form aggregate] has mindfulness as its governing principle. :eek:

"The body [form aggregate] has discernment as its surpassing state. :eek:

"The body [form aggregate] has release as its heartwood. :eek:

"The body [form aggregate] gains its footing in the deathless. :eek:

"The body [form aggregate] has Nibbana as its final end." :eek:
    The body is an aggregate. The body is composed of the four elements, namely, earth, wind, fire & water. The body has no mentality. As such, the body does not have many of the mental qualities listed above.

It be difficult for some to acknowledge the translators and the commentators may have misunderstood.
    edited April 2009
    DDhatu wrote: »

"All skilful dhammas are rooted in zeal (chanda).

"There is the case where a monk develops the base of power endowed with
    concentration founded on zeal (chanda) & the fabrications of exertion, thinking,
    'This zeal of mine will be neither overly sluggish nor overly active, neither inwardly
    restricted nor outwardly scattered.' He keeps perceiving what is in front & behind
    so that what is in front is the same as what is behind, what is behind is the same
    as what is in front. What is below is the same as what is above, what is above is
    the same as what is below. [He dwells] by night as by day, and by day as
    by night. By means of an awareness thus open & unhampered, he develops a
    brightened mind. (SN 51.20)

Sariputta entered upon and abided in the first jhana. The zeal (chanda), decision,
    energy, mindfulness, equinimity & attention - these states were defined by him one by
    one as they occurred. (MN 111)

"All skilful dhammas come into existence through attention.

"All skilful dhammas originate from contact.

"All skilful dhammas converge on feelings.

With contact as a requisite condition, there arises what is felt either as pleasure, pain, or neither pleasure nor pain. If, when touched by a feeling of pleasure, one does not relish it, welcome it, or remain fastened to it, then one's passion-obsession doesn't get obsessed. If, when touched by a feeling of pain, one does not sorrow, grieve, or lament, beat one's breast or become distraught, then one's resistance obsession doesn't get obsessed. If, when touched by a feeling of neither pleasure nor pain, one discerns, as it actually is present, the origination, passing away, allure, drawback, & escape from that feeling, then one's ignorance-obsession doesn't get obsessed. That a person — through abandoning passion-obsession with regard to a feeling of pleasure, through abolishing resistance-obsession with regard to a feeling of pain, through uprooting ignorance-obsession with regard to a feeling of neither pleasure nor pain, through abandoning ignorance and giving rise to clear knowing — would put an end to suffering & stress in the here & now: such a thing is possible (MN 148).

"Of all skilful dhammas, the foremost is concentration.

"Now what, monks, is noble right concentration with its supports & requisite conditions? Any singleness of mind equipped with these seven factors — right view, right resolve, right speech, right action, right livelihood, right effort, & right mindfulness — is called noble right concentration with its supports & requisite conditions. (MN 117)

"All skilful dhammas are mastered by mindfulness.

"And how are the four frames of reference developed & pursued so as to bring the seven factors for awakening to their culmination? (MN 118)

"All skilful dhammas have discernment as their surpassing state.

In one of right view, right resolve comes into being. In one of right resolve, right speech comes into being. In one of right speech, right action... In one of right action, right livelihood... In one of right livelihood, right effort... In one of right effort, right mindfulness... In one of right mindfulness, right concentration... In one of right concentration, right knowledge comes into being. In one of right knowledge, right liberation comes into being. (MN 117)

"All skilful dhammas have liberation as their heartwood.

So this holy life, bhikkhus, does not have gain, honor, renown, virtue, concentration or knowledge & vision as its benefit. But it is this unshakeable liberation of mind that is the goal of this holy life, its heartwood and its end. (MN 29)

"All skilful dhammas merge in the Deathless.

"All skilful dhammas culminate in Nibbana."

The above makes perfect sense. :)
    edited April 2009
    DD,
    The body is an aggregate. The body is composed of the four elements, namely, earth, wind, fire & water. The body has no mentality. As such, the body does not have many of the mental qualities listed above.

It be difficult for some to acknowledge the translators and the commentators may have misunderstood.

As Thanissaro makes clear in his note, as well as the other translators in theirs and Buddhaghosa's commentary to AN 10.58, the term "all phenomena" isn't referring to the form aggregate alone but the five aggregates of clinging—the combined physical and mental phenomena of experience.

It's not difficult for me acknowledge when I disagree with the traditional commentaries or translators; I simply don't disagree with them on this particular point.

Moreover, I've provided three sources — including three separate translations by some of the foremost translators today, the commentarial gloss and basic Pali grammar — to support my interpretation; and it's going to take a bit more than what you've provided thus far to convince me that they've misunderstood the meaning of this sutta.

Believe me, DD, I'm not adverse to contradictory opinions and/or evidence if they have merit. I just haven't seen enough to convince me that your admittedly plausible interpretation is the correct one.

Jason
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited April 2009
    May I interject in this thread with a somewhat different perspective?

Because we are the creatures that we are, with the senses that we have, we experience time as a moving flow from past to present. The past can only be 'visited' by memory and the future by imagination. If, however, we view time as a dimension in the field of the space/time continuum, past, present and future co-exist. Coming to birth and to death are simply points on that field, existing as long as the field itself and all co-existent.

Or should tyhis comment be on the thread about death?
    edited April 2009
    Or should tyhis comment be on the thread about death?

No, I think it applies to both.
    edited April 2009
    DD,

Another point I forgot to mention is the different usages of the the Pali term "sabba."

In general, the term means "all," but in SN 35.23 the Buddha defines precisely what he means by "sabba." There he defines "the all" as "the eye & forms, ear & sounds, nose & aromas, tongue & flavors, body & tactile sensations, intellect & ideas."

To me, this further supports the traditional interpretation, albeit indirectly, which equates the phrase "sabbe dhamma" (all phenomena) with the five aggregates.

Jason
    edited April 2009

Hello Lornwight

I have decided to provide my view to you.

In Buddhism, the are basically two views: the view of the Buddha reported in the scriptures & the view of the Commentators who arose after the Buddha.

The Buddha taught there is no consciousness independent of a sense organ however the Commentators developed terms such as 're-linking consciousness' & 'continuum of consciousness', which the Buddha never used. The Commentators hold there is a consciousness that can be separate from the body & brain function. However, in the scriptures, the Buddha defined consciousness as thus:

And what is consciousness? There are these six classes of consciousness: eye-consciousness, ear-consciousness, nose-consciousness, tongue-consciousness, body-consciousness, mind-consciousness.
    "And why do you call it 'consciousness'? Because it cognizes, thus it is called consciousness. What does it cognize? It cognizes what is sour, bitter, pungent, sweet, alkaline, non-alkaline, salty, & unsalty. Because it cognizes, it is called consciousness.

SN 22.79

The foremost scripture on this subject is the Mahatanhasankhaya Sutta, which states:

For in many discourses I have stated that consciousness is dependently arisen, since without a condition consciousness does not come into being.

Just as fire is reckoned by the particular condition dependent on which it burns - when fire burns dependent on logs, it is reckoned as a log fire; when fire burns dependent on sticks, it is reckoned as a stick fire; when fire burns dependent on grass, it is reckoned as a grass fire; when fire burns dependent on cowdung, it is reckoned as a cowdung fire; when fire burns dependent on chaff, it is reckoned as a chaff fire; when fire burns dependent on rubbish, it is reckoned as a rubbish fire - so too, consciousness is reckoned by the particular condition dependent on which it arises. When consciousness arises dependent on eye and forms, it is reckoned as eye-consciousness; when consciousness arises dependent on nose and odours, it is reckoned as nose-consciousness; when consciousness arises dependent on tongue and flavours, it is reckoned as tongue-consciousness; when consciousness arises dependent on body and tangibles, it is reckoned as body-consciousness; when consciousness arises dependent on mind and phenomena, it is reckoned as mind-consciousness.
    Therefore, in Buddhism, one can find a variety of views to suit one's inclinations. It is like a supermarket.

Kind regards

DDhatu

P.S. Sorry about the large font. I have lost control of the page and must give up.

edited April 2009
    Excellent summary, DD. The only think I might take issue with is the implication that the views of the Buddha and the ancient commentators such as Buddhaghosa are necessarily mutually exclusive.

It is true, for example, that the Pali term "patisandhi-citta" (re-linking consciousness) is only found in the commentarial literature; but one can just as easily argue that such a "re-linking" consciousness is implied in places like SN 44.9, where the Buddha states that, "... when a being sets this body aside and is not yet reborn in another body, I designate it as craving-sustained, for craving is its sustenance at that time."

But as you so aptly put it, "... in Buddhism, one can find a variety of views to suit one's inclinations. It is like a supermarket." That's what keeps it interesting, right?

As a side note, this discussion reminds me of Peter Harvey's The mind-body relationship in Pali Buddhism: A philosophical investigation, which I find interesting and well worth reading. From the abstract:
    The Suttas indicate physical conditions for success in meditation, and also acceptance of a not-Self tile-principle (primarily vinnana) which is (usually) dependent on the mortal physical body. In the Abhidhamma and commentaries, the physical acts on the mental through the senses and through the 'basis' for mind-organ and mind-consciousness, which came to be seen as the 'heart-basis'. Mind acts on the body through two 'intimations': fleeting modulations in the primary physical elements. Various forms of rupa are also said to originate dependent on citta and other types of rupa. Meditation makes possible the development of a 'mind-made body' and control over physical elements through psychic powers. The formless rebirths and the state of cessation are anomalous states of mind-without-body, or body-without-mind, with the latter presenting the problem of how mental phenomena can arise after being completely absent. Does this twin-category process pluralism avoid the problems of substance-dualism?

Best wishes,

Jason