Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhism & the military

edited July 2010 in Buddhism Basics
I'm not sure if this issue's been discussed, but, how do Buddhists (both the religion and who ever decides to read this) feel about military service, combat, warfare, etc, so on and so forth?

Comments

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited October 2009
    I'm not really a big fan of any of them, to tell you the truth. I'm not so much against military service as I am combat and warfare, however. The main purpose of warfare is to kill others, and I've come to the conclusion that killing rarely benefits anyone, if ever. As for one example of how Buddhists feel about things like combat and warfare, I'd suggest reading Thanissaro Bhikkhu's essay, "Getting the Message."
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited October 2009
    WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Every day, five U.S. soldiers try to kill themselves. Before the Iraq war began, that figure was less than one suicide attempt a day.

High Rate of Suicide Among Iraq War Soldiers

Friday May 30, 2008

A recent story at MSNBC.com reports that the long tours soldiers face cause high levels of stress, and as a result, suicide rates among Iraq War soldiers are the highest they have been since 1980. According to this report, there were 115 suicides in 2007 and 38 confirmed suicides in 2008. You can access this interesting report here.

WASHINGTON, Dec 19 (Reuters) - Suicides among U.S. soldiers in Iraq doubled last year over the previous year to return to a level seen in 2003, U.S. Army medical experts said on Tuesday.

Twenty-two U.S. soldiers in Iraq took their own lives in 2005, a rate of 19.9 per 100,000 soldiers. In 2004, the rate was 10.5 per 100,000 and in 2003, the year of the U.S.-led invasion of Iraq, the figure was 18.8 per 100,000.
    A Veterans Affairs emailed leaked to the public reported that an estimated 1,000 suicides attempts per month were being reported at VA medical facilities by Veterans. After tours of duty in Iraq and earning countless awards, life went terribly wrong for Marine Corporal James Jenkins. In the aftermath of his suicide, Cynthia Fleming, his mother gives us a portrait of her oldest son.

Watch the video below and see more videos from the American News Project:

Read more at: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/07/21/iraq-soldiers-mother-talk_n_114072.html
    WASHINGTON — Until the day he died, Sgt. Brian Rand believed he was being haunted by the ghost of the Iraqi man he killed.

The ghost choked Rand while he slept in his bunk, forcing him to wake up gasping for air and clawing at his throat.

He whispered that Rand was a vampire and looked on as the soldier stabbed another member of Fort Campbell's 96th Aviation Support Battalion in the neck with a fork in the mess hall.

<!-- story_feature_box.comp --><!-- /story_feature_box.comp -->
    Eventually, the ghost told Rand he needed to kill himself.

According to family members and police reports, on Feb. 20, 2007, just a few months after being discharged from his second tour of duty in Iraq, Rand smoked half of a cigarette as he wrote a suicide note, grabbed a gun and went to the Cumberland River Center Pavilion in Clarksville, Tenn. As the predawn dark pressed in, he breathed in the wintry air and stared out at the park where he and his wife, Dena, had married.

Then he placed the gun to his head and silenced his inner ghosts.

:-/
    edited October 2009
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks nothing worth a war, is worse. A war to protect other human beings against tyrannical injustice – a war to give victory to their own ideas of right and good, and which is their own war...is often the means of their regeneration. A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.”

- John Stuart Mill

If war was made to free Tibet from Chinese occupation, there would be many Tibetans to resettle the land, both from within Tibet and outside of Tibet.

If war was made to free North America from Europeans and the descendents of their African slaves, there would be relativately no indiginous people to resettle the land. There would merely be a vast land with a few thousand inhabitants.

We should take care to not allow the term "tyrannical injustice" to be used as rhetoric.

War is generally something with an economic motive. The tyranny has always been found in the ruling classes who make the wars. The tyranny is against their 'own people', who they enslave as underpaid workers and will again enslave when they think a war is required.

:(
    edited October 2009
    EKettler wrote: »
    Hey y'all, my name's Eric, I'm 19, and I'm bound for the U.S. Army Infantry in a few weeks, so I aint going to be hanging out long. I really don't know anything about Buddhism, which is what brings me here. I'm unemployed (hence the army), thank you economy, and spend most of my time reading and, oddly, baking.
    The army can be a very good option when one is unemployed. One can gain both financial security plus excellent personal development.

However, the act of war itself can cause great harm where the justification for that war is weak.

In my opinion, that you are unemployed is another war you need to fight. But that is an internal war, a challenge within you rather than outside of you in a foreign land.

I suppose what I am saying is I find your signature quote unnerving & disturbing.

You appear to have not fulfilled an ideal within you (that is, finding employment) but are creating an ideal outside of you ( that is, fighting some external tyranny in a far off land).

I recommend you try to find a balance and avoid extremes.

My best wishes for vocation. Please keep a level head & the necesssary ethical discipline.

This will serve you well in the infantry.

Kind regards

DDhatu

:)
  • edited October 2009
    Jason wrote: »
    I'm not really a big fan of any of them, to tell you the truth. I'm not so much against military service as I am combat and warfare, however. The main purpose of warfare is to kill others, and I've come to the conclusion that killing rarely benefits anyone, if ever. As for one example of how Buddhists feel about things like combat and warfare, I'd suggest reading Thanissaro Bhikkhu's essay, "Getting the Message."

I can understand that viewpoint. I do have an issue with killing. But, I think that in some circumstances warfare is the only viable means of helping someone. For instance, take some oppressive leader who commits mass atrocities; we'll say torture of political opposition, allowing his soldiers to ravage some poor souls, the rape of women, and so on. Of course, reasonable measures should be taken first, i.e. sanctions, diplomacy, etc. But, if all else fails, war is sometimes the only answer to protect someone, in my opinion.
  • edited October 2009
    If war was made to free Tibet from Chinese occupation, there would be many Tibetans to resettle the land, both from within Tibet and outside of Tibet.

If war was made to free North America from Europeans and the descendents of their African slaves, there would be relativately no indiginous people to resettle the land. There would merely be a vast land with a few thousand inhabitants.

We should take care to not allow the term "tyrannical injustice" to be used as rhetoric.

War is generally something with an economic motive. The tyranny has always been found in the ruling classes who make the wars. The tyranny is against their 'own people', who they enslave as underpaid workers and will again enslave when they think a war is required.

:(

But, all the same, that tyranny still exists. And, that tyranny has to be combated. Sure, I wish that people could talk things over. That injustice didn't exist. Unfortunately, it does, and someone has to go against the grain to fight it. To you "tyrannical injustice" may be simply rhetoric. To me, though, it is a real thing that has to be fought against. If no one ever steps up and says, "all of this wrong ends now" what are you left with? A series of nations where people are afraid to speak out, to criticize, and to act. That's a fate worse than death to me.
  • edited October 2009
    The army can be a very good option when one is unemployed. One can gain both financial security plus excellent personal development.

However, the act of war itself can cause great harm where the justification for that war is weak.

In my opinion, that you are unemployed is another war you need to fight. But that is an internal war, a challenge within you rather than outside of you in a foreign land.

I suppose what I am saying is I find your signature quote unnerving & disturbing.

You appear to have not fulfilled an ideal within you (that is, finding employment) but are creating an ideal outside of you ( that is, fighting some external tyranny in a far off land).

I recommend you try to find a balance and avoid extremes.

My best wishes for vocation. Please keep a level head & the necesssary ethical discipline.

This will serve you well in the infantry.

Kind regards

DDhatu

I've been employed, but that's just not it for me. I suppose that the military just provides me with a sense of doing something for the greater good. It's not so much that it's a creation of an ideal that needs to be fought, it's acknowledgement that an ideal needs to be fought. As I've said, sometimes you have to do an atrocious fact.
  • edited October 2009

:-/

Think about it, though. That's not warfare in and of itself. That's shame in what you've done. Men ashamed of their actions do this. If a man is not ashamed, these things don't happen. I know men who have been in combat. They don't suffer from suicidal thoughts. Because they're not ashamed. This is only one side of the story. This is, I believe, more a societal influence to lead men to believe that what they've done is atrocious.
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited October 2009
    "But monkeys can reborn (sic) as humans"? Seriously?
  • edited October 2009
    Don't get me wrong, I don't like the idea of killing someone. It seems a tad ironic to me. It seems wrong. But, sometimes the wrong thing's the right thing, and the right thing's the wrong thing.
    edited October 2009
    If a man is not ashamed, these things don't happen. I know men who have been in combat. They don't suffer from suicidal thoughts. Because they're not ashamed.
    Shame friend is something natural. It is born from what one feels towards oneself.

For example, naturally, my mind is psychologcially programmed to cherish my life. As such when I take another life for a reason other than self-defense there is an internal contradiction. Shame arises from this internal contradiction just in the same way one feels shame if caught lying.

However, for some men, their conscience is not clear or sensitive. They may return from war and spend their life in bravado, drinking, boasting & so forth.

But if the war had cause, such as WWII, then the effects will be minimised (even though many of these men still suffered life long trauma).

For others with no shame, they get locked in prison. Then their time alone in prison, in that solitary confinement, makes their conscience rise to the surface.

From the view of Buddhism, that you regard killing will not affect your mind is called nihilism.

Now your are attempting to develop a righteous intention within you to justify your actions. Buddhism teaches if your intention is righteous then killing will not affect your mind greatly. For example, if a woman is pregnant and carrying a baby will harm her life, it is correct to abort the foetus because the killing here has a compassionate intention. Even if the woman feels saddness afterwards, she can always reflect her action was to save her life and she had no choice.

The same. Whether you can dupe the psychological laws of action and result is your game.

Good luck.

Buddha taught:
    All beings are the heirs to their actions, born of their actions, related to their actions. What ever they will do for good or for ill, of that karma (actions) they will be the heirs.
  • edited October 2009
    Shame friend is something natural. It is born from what one feels towards oneself.

For example, naturally, my mind is psychologcially programmed to cherish my life. As such when I take another life for a reason other than self-defense there is an internal contradiction. Shame arises from this internal contradiction just in the same way one feels shame if caught lying.

However, for some men, their conscience is not clear or sensitive. They may return from war and spend their life in bravado, drinking, boasting & so forth.

But if the war had cause, such as WWII, then the effects will be minimised (even though many of these men still suffered life long trauma).

For others with no shame, they get locked in prison. Then their time alone in prison, in that solitary confinement, makes their conscience rise to the surface.

From the view of Buddhism, that you regard killing will not affect your mind is called nihilism.

Now your are attempting to develop a righteous intention within you to justify your actions. Buddhism teaches if your intention is righteous then killing will not affect your mind greatly. For example, if a woman is pregnant and carrying a baby will harm her life, it is correct to abort the foetus because the killing here has a compassionate intention. Even if the woman feels saddness afterwards, she can always reflect her action was to save her life and she had no choice.

The same. Whether you can dupe the psychological laws of action and result is your game.

Just like Vietnam, the war in Iraq & Afganistan will likely be lost and these nations (unlike Vietnam) will descend into chaos and Islamic fundamentalism.

Just as the situation now is worse than under Saddham Hussein (who was an American puppet anyway), the situation now in Iraq will only get worse.

All of the problems in these countries are a result of decades of USA foreign policy so there is nothing righteous America can do. The Americans are simply interested in protecting the oil trade and the trade of oil using American currency.

Good luck.

Buddha taught:

:rolleyes:

I have to disagree on this one. Shame is, partially, from the self. However, you can't deny that it's also societal. Take the Norse, for example. In their belief, warfare was glorious and honorable. Therefore, the shame in the act is gone. And, not every american is interested in oil, money, etc etc. You have to admit, that's a very prejudiced generalization. Some American's believe in what they fight for. For instance, I thoroughly believe that Saddam was an atrocious human being. The whole Chemical warfare against the Kurds, pretty jacked in my book. And, Afghanistan isn't about oil. That's fighting terrorism and protecting your country and your fellow man. And, Vietnam instead descended into totalitarianism where genocide was a-okay.

And, I fully acknowledge that I could be killed. For some weird reason, I'm not afraid of death. Nor are others in the world.
    edited October 2009
    For some weird reason, I'm not afraid of death.
    Pretty weird contradiction. You say you have no fear of death so what are you actually fighting for? You say you are fighting to preserve life but you do not even cherish your own life.

edited October 2009
    And, Vietnam instead descended into totalitarianism where genocide was a-okay.
    You mean Cambodia?
    edited October 2009
    I have to disagree on this one. Shame is, partially, from the self. However, you can't deny that it's also societal. Take the Norse, for example. In their belief, warfare was glorious and honorable.
    The Norse lived in a violent culture. When one glorifies in killing, their heart cannot release.
    edited October 2009
    I thoroughly believe that Saddam was an atrocious human being. The whole Chemical warfare against the Kurds, pretty jacked in my book.
    The United Nations did not ratify the war.

Your view is self-centred.

I personally may not like certain people or agree with their actions.

It does not mean I have the right to kill them.

:skeptical
    edited October 2009
    And, I fully acknowledge that I could be killed. For some weird reason, I'm not afraid of death. Nor are others in the world.
    My impression is you are posting here because your mind has doubts.

:confused:
    edited October 2009
    The Tao Te Ching states:
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Thirty-one [/FONT]
    Good weapons are instruments of fear; all creatures hate them.
    Therefore followers of the Way never use them.

The wise man prefers the left.
    The man of war prefers the right.

Weapons are instruments of fear; they are not a wise man's tools.
    He uses them only when he has no choice.
    Peace and quiet are dear to his heart,
    And victory no cause for rejoicing.
    If you rejoice in victory, then you delight in killing;
    If you delight in killing, you cannot fulfill yourself.
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]On happy occasions precedence is given to the left,
    On sad occasions to the right.[/FONT]

In the army the general stands on the left,
    The commander-in-chief on the right. [/FONT]

This means that war is conducted like a funeral.
    When many people are being killed,
    They should be mourned in heartfelt sorrow.
    That is why a victory must be observed like a funeral. [/FONT]

[/FONT]
    edited October 2009
    Isn't this just another way of talking about peace in the face of aggression? I could copy/paste my replies here. If you invite war, you are a fool. If war is never a choice, then you better live somewhere that no one else wants.

If you join the military to find a fight, that isn't good practice. If you join the military to feed your family and help yourself (and/or request non-combat duty) I see nothing wrong with that. :)
    edited October 2009
    I have to disagree on this one. Shame is, partially, from the self. However, you can't deny that it's also societal. Take the Norse, for example. In their belief, warfare was glorious and honorable. Therefore, the shame in the act is gone.
    Shame can only be understood through meditation.

If you sit some 10-day silent meditation retreats, you can learn about what shame really is.

This is the best way to learn rather than debating the matter.

:o
  • edited October 2009
    No, I mean Vietnam. They're a communist state, and during the Vietnam War the North Vietnamese practiced genocide of the Montanagard (not sure if I spelled that right) population.
  • edited October 2009
    The Norse lived in a violent culture. When one glorifies in killing, their heart cannot release.

Others live in a violent sub-culture within our culture. Some believe that the act of taking vengeance releases the heart. I'm not one of the latter, but certainly one of the former.
  • edited October 2009
    The United Nations did not ratify the war.

Your view is self-centred.

I personally may not like certain people or agree with their actions.

It does not mean I have the right to kill them.

:skeptical

So, if a man kills others because of their ethnicity, we have no right to protect those left? I think it's self-centered not to stand up against that action. And, honestly, I don't sweat the UN. Good concept, but, doesn't work too well.
  • edited October 2009
    Pretty weird contradiction. You say you have no fear of death so what are you actually fighting for? You say you are fighting to preserve life but you do not even cherish your own life.

I do cherish my life. There's a difference between not fearing death and not cherishing life. I cherish my life a whole hell of a lot. But, if my dying benefits some other soul, then it's cool by me.
  • edited October 2009
    Lincoln wrote: »
    Isn't this just another way of talking about peace in the face of aggression? I could copy/paste my replies here. If you invite war, you are a fool. If war is never a choice, then you better live somewhere that no one else wants.

If you join the military to find a fight, that isn't good practice. If you join the military to feed your family and help yourself (and/or request non-combat duty) I see nothing wrong with that. :)

What sort of good practice we talking? I don't invite it, I acknowledge it and face up to it. Like it or not, someone's got to do the fighting in order for us to have this conversation. Pacifism's all well and good, but it aint me. I believe in fighting for what you believe to be right and good.
  • edited October 2009
    Shame can only be understood through meditation.

If you sit some 10-day silent meditation retreats, you can learn about what shame really is.

This is the best way to learn rather than debating the matter.

:o

Gotta have time for 10 day silent meditation retreats. And, besides, that's assuming that we have the same interpretation of shame. I could sit and meditate for 10 years and never come up to your version of shame.
  • edited October 2009
    I think if you are really skillful you can avoid having to use killing for protection
  • edited October 2009
    TheFound wrote: »
    I think if you are really skillful you can avoid having to use killing for protection

In a perfect world.
  • edited October 2009
    In a perfect world.

Hey, someone here who agrees with me on this one! :lol:

I agree with just about everything you've said.

I'm in the Army myself finishing up the last few years of school so I can get my commission as a 2LT. And in the mean time, I've been learning Arabic. I can't wait. It's my dream to be a 19-D Cavalry Scout.

So I think it's great that you're going a different route than 99% of your peers. Talk about a road less traveled, to quote that over-used poem.
    edited October 2009
    What sort of good practice we talking?
    Uh, Buddhism? Zen Martial Arts? International politics? D) All of the above? :p
    I believe in fighting for what you believe to be right and good.
    Sweet, but you believing it to be so doesn't make it jive with Buddhism, which seems to be what you were asking about.
  • edited October 2009
    Hey, someone here who agrees with me on this one! :lol:

I agree with just about everything you've said.

I'm in the Army myself finishing up the last few years of school so I can get my commission as a 2LT. And in the mean time, I've been learning Arabic. I can't wait. It's my dream to be a 19-D Cavalry Scout.

So I think it's great that you're going a different route than 99% of your peers. Talk about a road less traveled, to quote that over-used poem.

Guy I know in now's 19-D. Personally, I'm all about 11-B. Good to know there's a like minded individual in here.
  • edited October 2009
    Lincoln wrote: »
    Uh, Buddhism? Zen Martial Arts? International politics? D) All of the above? :p
    Sweet, but you believing it to be so doesn't make it jive with Buddhism, which seems to be what you were asking about.

Yeah, International politics is definitely not something I worry about. And, the first two I know nothing about, that being the reason I'm here.

So, violence is never acceptable from a Buddhist standpoint, even if said violence is... righteous? I guess that would be the right word?
  • StaticToyboxStaticToybox Veteran
    edited October 2009
    So, violence is never acceptable from a Buddhist standpoint, even if said violence is... righteous? I guess that would be the right word?

Violence is only acceptable when it is employed in defense and without hate. "Righteous" is a bad term and been used by men throughout history to justify all kinds of atrocity. The Germans felt they were acting righteously when they loading the Jews into gas chambers. The Christians felt they were righteous when they instigated the Crusades. The Khmer Rouge believed they were acting righteously when they were torturing and executing anyone who wasn't an uneducated farmer.

So who is being defended with our current invasion of Iraq? Who is being defended with our actions in Afghanistan?
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited October 2009
    ...I think that in some circumstances warfare is the only viable means of helping someone. For instance, take some oppressive leader who commits mass atrocities; we'll say torture of political opposition, allowing his soldiers to ravage some poor souls, the rape of women, and so on. Of course, reasonable measures should be taken first, i.e. sanctions, diplomacy, etc. But, if all else fails, war is sometimes the only answer to protect someone, in my opinion.

Generally the people who are supposedly being "protected" by this kind of thing are the ones the protection is hurting the worst. It's worth noting that most mass atrocities are the <i>result</i> of war.
  • edited October 2009
    Takeahnase wrote: »
    Violence is only acceptable when it is employed in defense and without hate. "Righteous" is a bad term and been used by men throughout history to justify all kinds of atrocity. The Germans felt they were acting righteously when they loading the Jews into gas chambers. The Christians felt they were righteous when they instigated the Crusades. The Khmer Rouge believed they were acting righteously when they were torturing and executing anyone who wasn't an uneducated farmer.

So who is being defended with our current invasion of Iraq? Who is being defended with our actions in Afghanistan?

But, that's the thing. To them, it was righteous. Righteousness is objective. Although, if you look back, Nazism is a bad example. Many Nazi's were following orders, not acting on their feelings. And, you can use the justification that they didn't have to, they could've refused, but, that's not the mindset. A soldier gets an order, he follows it. That simple.

The American populace. Can you honestly say that people being able to CHOOSE a leader, without fear, is a bad thing, that fighting for democracy, for the people is horrific? And, hey, I aint all about Iraq, but Afghanistan? Tell me there aint terrorists there. Tell me that that sumbitch Bin Laden and/or his cronies aint there. That aint propaganda. That's pure fact. Something countless fighting men can vouch for.
  • edited October 2009
    fivebells wrote: »
    Generally the people who are supposedly being "protected" by this kind of thing are the ones the protection is hurting the worst. It's worth noting that most mass atrocities are the result of war.

The Holocaust wasn't the result of war. The executions in Cambodia weren't a result of war. The attempted genocide of the Kurds wasn't a result of war. Violence is the only viable answer sometimes. It's easy to say it solves nothing when we're not the ones threatened by genocide, and death because of ethnicity, sexual orientation, political views, etc.
    edited October 2009
    I could sit and meditate for 10 years and never come up to your version of shame.
    You won't know for sure unless you try!

:smilec:
    edited October 2009
    The Holocaust wasn't the result of war.

Actually, the Holocaust wouldn't have happened, if it weren't for WWII. You need to be careful about the chronology.
    The executions in Cambodia weren't a result of war.

I don't know so much about this one, but wasn't Cambodia destabilized by the US occupation of Vietnam? All the refugees, or something like that?
    The attempted genocide of the Kurds wasn't a result of war.

No, because the nations in the region were too weak to resist the imperialism which installed Saddam Hussein in the first place.
    Violence is the only viable answer sometimes. It's easy to say it solves nothing when we're not the ones threatened by genocide, and death because of ethnicity, sexual orientation, political views, etc.

This is a non-sequitur. I'm not speaking against violence in general. But it's ironic that US military adventures played an essential role in the development of the three examples you cite as demanding military intervention: sometimes violence is the only ethical answer, but much more rarely than we're generally led to believe.
  • RenGalskapRenGalskap Veteran
    edited October 2009
    The Holocaust wasn't the result of war.
    That requires a very narrow definition of "result". Hitler's extreme hatred of Jews was his reaction to the fact that Germany and Austria lost WW I. The Holocaust occurred during WW II, and the fact that Germany was at war contributed to the willingness of German citizens to carry out orders.

It seems pretty clear that the Holocaust would not have happened without WWs I and II. There were obviously other contributing causes (centuries of anti-Semitism, for example), but if the two wars were causes, then the Holocaust was a result.

I disagree with Fivebell's theory that the Holocaust was caused by the British navel blockade, but he's right about this.
    The executions in Cambodia weren't a result of war.
    The Khmer Rouge developed their ideology and their military power during years of ongoing warfare in which they were incidental players. The history of the Khmer Rouge is rather complex, but this is another case in which the result wouldn't have been possible without war.
    The attempted genocide of the Kurds wasn't a result of war.
    Iraq wouldn't have been possible without war. It was formed by war. In fact, it was to some extent formed by genocides. The question is whether the genocide in question would have occurred without war (both declared and undeclared) as its prelude, and again the answer is no. If war was a cause, then the genocide was a result.

Genocide is undeclared war. To say that it is not the result of war is a bit odd.
  • edited October 2009
    Actually, the Holocaust wouldn't have happened, if it weren't for WWII. You need to be careful about the chronology.

I don't know so much about this one, but wasn't Cambodia destabilized by the US occupation of Vietnam? All the refugees, or something like that?

No, because the nations in the region were too weak to resist the imperialism which installed Saddam Hussein in the first place.

This is a non-sequitur. I'm not speaking against violence in general. But it's ironic that US military adventures played an essential role in the development of the three examples you cite as demanding military intervention: sometimes violence is the only ethical answer, but much more rarely than we're generally led to believe.

The Holocaust was not a result of WWII. The holocaust was the result of a dude a bit jacked in his brain housing group.

The Khmer Rouge were led by a guy with, if you want to look at it from a psychological standpoint, a personality similar to Hitler. a.k.a. Holy crap jacked.

The Kurds comprise a small portion of Northern Iraq. How could they keep him from gaining power?

But, see, that's what I was getting at. I was talking violence in general and the military in general.
    edited October 2009
    EKettler, Did you look at the link I provided, with respect to the Holocaust?
    edited October 2009
    But, that's the thing. To them, it was righteous. Righteousness is objective.

No no no. righteousness is entirely subjective. What is righteous is entirely dependent one's personal views.
    Although, if you look back, Nazism is a bad example. Many Nazi's were following orders, not acting on their feelings. And, you can use the justification that they didn't have to, they could've refused, but, that's not the mindset. A soldier gets an order, he follows it. That simple.

It most certainly is not that simple. Let me ask you something. Would you dutifully follow an order that you knew to be illegal or in violation of the rules of war? Would you willingly follow an order that went against your morals? If ordered to slaughter a group of innocent people would you do so?
    The American populace. Can you honestly say that people being able to CHOOSE a leader, without fear, is a bad thing, that fighting for democracy, for the people is horrific?

This has exactly what to do with the topic at hand?
    And, hey, I aint all about Iraq, but Afghanistan? Tell me there aint terrorists there. Tell me that that sumbitch Bin Laden and/or his cronies aint there. That aint propaganda. That's pure fact. Something countless fighting men can vouch for.

Oh I'm all for Bin Laden being apprehended and the American people (as well as any other nations that may have charges against him) having their day in court. But there are far better ways of going about such things than military invasions. So far we've spent more than $230 billion and lost nearly 7,000 U.S. and allied lives and untold numbers of innocent casualties in Afghanistan and for what? To get one man. Is one man really worth thousands of lives?
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited October 2009
    No.
  • edited October 2009
    EKettler, Did you look at the link I provided, with respect to the Holocaust?

That I did. On the same token, Hitler was invading neighboring countries and conquering them. Didn't Churchill have a responsibility to stop him?
  • edited October 2009
    Takeahnase wrote: »
    No no no. righteousness is entirely subjective. What is righteous is entirely dependent one's personal views.

It most certainly is not that simple. Let me ask you something. Would you dutifully follow an order that you knew to be illegal or in violation of the rules of war? Would you willingly follow an order that went against your morals? If ordered to slaughter a group of innocent people would you do so?

This has exactly what to do with the topic at hand?

Oh I'm all for Bin Laden being apprehended and the American people (as well as any other nations that may have charges against him) having their day in court. But there are far better ways of going about such things than military invasions. So far we've spent more than $230 billion and lost nearly 7,000 U.S. and allied lives and untold numbers of innocent casualties in Afghanistan and for what? To get one man. Is one man really worth thousands of lives?

That one was my bad. Wrote the wrong -tive. Sorry!

You have to look at it from the mindset of a soldier. You follow your orders. That's it. You don't know the big picture. And, more often than not, if you are ordered to slaughter civvies, then chances are your regime's screwed. Not something a just government would condone.

Everything. The topic's just about the military.

That one man has costed thousands of lives. And bringing up serviceman deaths is a moot point. If you can find one servicemember that did not join of his or her own free will, then that'll become a valid point. But, you can't, becasue you are specifically asked before you sign your final contract before boot camp "are you here of your own doing? Were you coerced or otherwise forced into this?" There aren't better ways when the country he's in is controlled by a terrorist organization.
  • edited October 2009
    The Holocaust was not a result of WWII. The holocaust was the result of a dude a bit jacked in his brain housing group.

Wow. I suppose if you want to really over-simplify it, then yeah, but...
    edited October 2009
    That I did. On the same token, Hitler was invading neighboring countries and conquering them. Didn't Churchill have a responsibility to stop him?
    Why do you believe that?

What would have happened if Churchill hadn't? As Human Smoke demonstrates, British aggression towards Germany only fomented stronger German nationalism. If Hitler had been allowed to sink into the same quagmire of occupation that the US experienced in Vietnam and Iraq, how long do you think he would have lasted, and how many people do you think would have died? More, or less, than died in WWII as it was prosecuted?
    edited October 2009
    You have to look at it from the mindset of a soldier. You follow your orders. That's it. You don't know the big picture. And, more often than not, if you are ordered to slaughter civvies, then chances are your regime's screwed. Not something a just government would condone.

That doesn't really answer the question.
    That one man has costed thousands of lives.

And? Is he really worth the cost of the lives of thousands of servicemen, untold numbers of civilians and billions of dollars.
    And bringing up serviceman deaths is a moot point. If you can find one servicemember that did not join of his or her own free will, then that'll become a valid point. But, you can't, becasue you are specifically asked before you sign your final contract before boot camp "are you here of your own doing? Were you coerced or otherwise forced into this?"

Yes, I understand all that. These men and women voluntarily put their lives at risk on the behalf of others. At least we could extend them the courtesy of not wasting them in pointless and unjustified conflicts.
    There aren't better ways when the country he's in is controlled by a terrorist organization.

Sure there are.
  • edited October 2009
    Why do you believe that?

What would have happened if Churchill hadn't? As Human Smoke demonstrates, British aggression towards Germany only fomented stronger German nationalism. If Hitler had been allowed to sink into the same quagmire of occupation that the US experienced in Vietnam and Iraq, how long do you think he would have lasted, and how many people do you think would have died? More, or less, than died in WWII as it was prosecuted?

Because I believe that if a man witnesses unjust acts, he has a responsibility to stop it, or try to stop it at the very least. I honestly believe that more would've died. Of course, that's just my opinion.