Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What is Dharma?

edited January 2010 in Buddhism Basics
Hello:)

I have just published an essay on my salted.net called "What is Dharma?"

I would appreciate any criticisms, error spotting or other commentary:)

It can be read here:

http://salted.net/philosophy/what-is-dharma/

Kind wishes and peace,

Mat

Comments

• edited January 2010
    Just a quick observation:

"[URL="file:///D:/My%20Writings/What%20is%20Dharma.docx#_ftnref2"][2][/URL] “Ontology” is the study of existence and being and the attempt to understand which statements are true of existing things as opposed to nonexisting things."

If you push this thought to its limit, as the Indian Buddhist logician Nagarjuna does, it goes beyond existence vs. nonexistence. Nagarjuna would say that things: exist; nonexist; neither exist nor nonexist; all of the above; none of the above; and that the whole statement is just not applicable. Indian Buddhist logic and "phenomenology" as shown in the Heart Sutra (short version is best) demonstrates that we quickly go beyond logic, semantics, and phenomenology when going into Dharma, such that Dharma is inexpressible in terms of phenomenology. Here is one adaptation of the Heart Sutra that attempts to state this clearly:

<style type="text/css"> <!-- @page { margin: 0.79in } P { margin-bottom: 0.08in } --> </style> The Short Teaching Regarding the Heart of Perfect Wisdom

The sincere practitioner Avalokitesvara
    while intently practicing the Perfection of Wisdom Meditation
    perceived that all of the five phenomenal aggregates are empty of inherent existence
    and was thereby saved from all suffering and distress.

He told Shariputra:
    Form does not differ from emptiness,
    emptiness does not differ from form.
    That which is form is emptiness,
    that which is emptiness is form.
    The same is true of feelings,
    perceptions, impulses, and consciousness.

Shariputra,
    all perceived phenomena are marked with emptiness.
    They do not appear or disappear,
    they are neither tainted nor pure,
    nor do they increase or decrease.

Therefore, in emptiness there is no form, no feeling,
    no perception, no impulse, and no consciousness.
    There is no eye, no ear, no nose, no tongue, no body, no mind;
    no color, no sound, no smell, no taste, no touch,
    no object of mind,
    no mind to perceive,
    and so forth
    until it is clear that there is no realm of mental consciousness.

There is no ignorance nor extinction of ignorance,
    and so forth until no old age and death
    and also no extinction of these phenomena.

There is no suffering, no origination,
    no stopping, no path, no cognition,
    nor is there attainment, because there is nothing to attain.

If the sincere practitioner depends on the Perfection of Wisdom Meditation,
    and the mind is not a hindrance,
    without any hindrance no fears exist.

Far apart from every incorrect view one dwells in the final state of seeing clearly.

In the innumerable worlds and dimensions
    all sincere practitioners depend on the Perfection of Wisdom Meditation
    and thereby attain the final state of seeing clearly.

Therefore know that the Mantra of the Perfection of Wisdom
    is the great transcendent mantra,
    the great clarifying mantra,
    the ultimate mantra,
    the supreme mantra
    which is able to relieve all suffering,
    is perfectly clear,
    and is beyond any mistaken perception.

So proclaim the Mantra of the Perfection of Wisdom.
    Proclaim the mantra which says:

gate gate paragate parasamgate bodhi svaha.

“Gone Beyond, gone beyond, gone completely beyond, gone to the other shore.
    Clarity.
    So it is.”

I'll look at it some more, but (JOKE) you might get tired of me real fast and I'm not sure when I can do it.

IMHO (JOKE) you should use Verdana instead of Arial because it's easier to read. And (JOKE) your spelling is kinda funny- you use s's where there should be z's.

Taking a phenomenological approach to Buddhism can be really difficult. People have been trying to do it for at least 2,500 years. Hang in there.
  • edited January 2010
    I think I took that out of context- upon rereading the whole piece, it looks like a keeper.

Thank you.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited January 2010
    The word dharma is used by most Indian religions, including theistic ones.

The word dharma means 'that which supports; that which maintains'.

When we read the scripture, various sectarians met eachother and would ask the question: "To whose dharma to you profess?".

Truth or understanding is just one of many aspects of dharma.

:)
  • edited January 2010
    I think I took that out of context- upon rereading the whole piece, it looks like a keeper.

Thank you.

Thank you for your long reply.

I agree with you on the font! It's something I'm looking into changing.

Regarding "Taking a phenomenological approach to Buddhism can be really difficult. People have been trying to do it for at least 2,500 years."

I agree, it hard, and it is made harder by the clutter of scripture and comentary on scripture and cometary on commentary. This is why my project is not to ask:

"What do the scriptures say Dhrama is?" or "What do Buddhists think Dharma is?"

But rather

"What could Dharma Be, assuming it must be consistent?"

Now many many Buddhists and texts allow for the possibility of inconsistency (Some even endorse it as a part of practice). I respect the spirit of such views, but they will not satisfy me.

I need to be certain it all fits together perfectly, from the raw ontology of being right up to our cravings and ignorances.

I personally think it does and I hope the essay shows this to those who also require the consistency constraint:)

Peace, Truth and Happiness to you,

Mat
  • edited January 2010
    I think as long as you look at this as an ongoing attempt to sort it out for yourself, then it's appropriate work. But at the same time, I think it's important to include a strong disclaimer at the immediate beginning of the work that states to any potential reader that this is nothing more and nothing less than your effort to sort out the concept of Dharma from your own perspective, and should not be taken as anything authoritative. I'm thinking that if an innocent seeker comes along and reads it and takes it as a somehow authoritative interpretation of Dharma, and it's not, you may accidentally be doing that person a disservice because it's a work in progress and it's just your interpretation. Come to think of it, you should probably remove it from public view until it's worked out. You could be the cause of leading someone astray, and that's just not right. If some sincere seeker comes along and sees that “Dharmic Truth One is that All Systems are Consistent”, you have been the cause of further confusion for that person instead of leading that person to the true Buddhadharma. Right now, from the point of view of classical Buddhism, it's “heretical”, however good your intention might be, and it's just wrong to assert that it's in any way authoritative. It's not Buddhadharma.

More later.
  • edited January 2010
    I think as long as you look at this as an ongoing attempt to sort it out for yourself, then it's appropriate work. But at the same time, I think it's important to include a strong disclaimer at the immediate beginning of the work that states to any potential reader that this is nothing more and nothing less than your effort to sort out the concept of Dharma from your own perspective, and should not be taken as anything authoritative. I'm thinking that if an innocent seeker comes along and reads it and takes it as a somehow authoritative interpretation of Dharma, and it's not, you may accidentally be doing that person a disservice because it's a work in progress and it's just your interpretation. Come to think of it, you should probably remove it from public view until it's worked out. You could be the cause of leading someone astray, and that's just not right. If some sincere seeker comes along and sees that “Dharmic Truth One is that All Systems are Consistent”, you have been the cause of further confusion for that person instead of leading that person to the true Buddhadharma. Right now, from the point of view of classical Buddhism, it's “heretical”, however good your intention might be, and it's just wrong to assert that it's in any way authoritative. It's not Buddhadharma.

More later.

Gosh no! :)
    As I argued very convincingly here http://salted.net/essays/was-the-buddha-a-buddhist/ that we cannot really have any notion of what Authority there is in Buddhism.

We only have first principles, which is where I wish to work from.

Frankly, I think the doctrine that purports to supernatural Dharma or anything nonfoundational is what should be given the flashing warning signs:)

Peace:)

Mat
  • edited January 2010
    You cannot make the claim that your are authoritatively representing Buddhadharma. You just can't do that and call yourself a Buddhist. You can call it Mat-Dharma, but you can't call it Buddhadharma. It's not what Siddhartha Gautama taught.
  • edited January 2010
    You cannot make the claim that your are authoritatively representing Buddhadharma. You just can't do that and call yourself a Buddhist. You can call it Mat-Dharma, but you can't call it Buddhadharma. It's not what Siddhartha Gautama taught.

I am absolutely no authority, nor do I have any authority; I simply start from the position of doubting everything and seeing what can be certain. That is consistency, impermanence, negativity and emptiness/interconnectivity.

If you wish to show me I am mistaken then you merely need to show me where I am mistaken in this view of Dharma:)

I want to know the truths were true before the Buddha found and taught and then others augmented.

Do you see this?

It is pure:)

Mat
  • edited January 2010
    "I am absolutely no authority, nor do I have any authority; I simply start from the position of doubting everything and seeing what can be certain. That is consistency, impermanence, negativity and emptiness/interconnectivity."

In my opinion, you need to put that statement on your site and with every essay about Buddhism that you write. It would be the same with any group or set of ideas you profess to write about. Say, for instance, that you claimed affiliation with some political group or set of ideas, but what you wrote was not consistent with that group or set of ideas. It's just a fundamental contradiction. For instance, you couldn't claim to be a Social Democrat and then write that "The Invisible Hand of the Free Market Should Govern All Economic Activity".

In the same way, you can't claim to write as a Buddhist if you question the classical Buddhist teachings so radically. You are free to question the classical Buddhist teachings so radically on your own and to represent it as your own thinking and nothing more, but it's fundamentally contradictory for you to claim to be a Buddhist and do that.

You can claim that it's "Mat-Dharma", but you can't claim that it's Buddhadharma. The most courteous thing you could do for your readership is to make that clear on your site from the outset. You can't make the claim that "Dharmic Truth One is that All systems are Consistent" in the name of Buddhadharma, because that's just not true of Buddhadharma. You can make that claim in the context of "Mat-Dharma", but it's fundamentally contradictory to claim that it's Buddhadharma, because it's just not.

It's not Buddhism and it's not Dharma in the classic Buddhist sense. You are free to represent it as Mat-ism, but please don't represent it as Buddhism because it's just not Buddhism.

I'm not sure how much more time I'll be able to spend with this today, but I think it's really important that you make that disclaimer and distinction for your intended readers.

• edited January 2010
    "I am absolutely no authority, nor do I have any authority; I simply start from the position of doubting everything and seeing what can be certain. That is consistency, impermanence, negativity and emptiness/interconnectivity."

In my opinion, you need to put that statement on your site and with every essay about Buddhism that you write. It would be the same with any group or set of ideas you profess to write about. Say, for instance, that you claimed affiliation with some political group or set of ideas, but what you wrote was not consistent with that group or set of ideas. It's just a fundamental contradiction. For instance, you couldn't claim to be a Social Democrat and then write that "The Invisible Hand of the Free Market Should Govern All Economic Activity".

In the same way, you can't claim to write as a Buddhist if you question the classical Buddhist teachings so radically. You are free to question the classical Buddhist teachings so radically on your own and to represent it as your own thinking and nothing more, but it's fundamentally contradictory for you to claim to be a Buddhist and do that.

You can claim that it's "Mat-Dharma", but you can't claim that it's Buddhadharma. The most courteous thing you could do for your readership is to make that clear on your site from the outset. You can't make the claim that "Dharmic Truth One is that All systems are Consistent" in the name of Buddhadharma, because that's just not true of Buddhadharma. You can make that claim in the context of "Mat-Dharma", but it's fundamentally contradictory to claim that it's Buddhadharma, because it's just not.

It's not Buddhism and it's not Dharma in the classic Buddhist sense. You are free to represent it as Mat-ism, but please don't represent it as Buddhism because it's just not Buddhism.

I'm not sure how much more time I'll be able to spend with this today, but I think it's really important that you make that disclaimer and distinction for your intended readers.

I think you miss my point:)
  • edited January 2010
    Are you representing this as Buddhism or Mat-ism? I'm just saying that no matter what the content of the line of inquiry, you can't represent it as Buddhadharma because it's not. As long as you represent it as Mat-ism, then you can write whatever you want to.

Mat's Dharmic Truth One is that All Systems are Consistent. But that's not Buddhism's Dharmic Truth One. That's all I'm saying.
  • edited January 2010
    Are you representing this as Buddhism or Mat-ism? I'm just saying that no matter what the content of the line of inquiry, you can't represent it as Buddhadharma because it's not. As long as you represent it as Mat-ism, then you can write whatever you want to.

Mat's Dharmic Truth One is that All Systems are Consistent. But that's not Buddhism's Dharmic Truth One. That's all I'm saying.

I am not representing anything. I am stating what I can see as the self evident truths of all contingent systems.

If you like, see it as scraping Buddhism and starting again to see what we can see the Buddha discovered.

You do not know what Buddhadharma was, nor do I. We only have the clearly modified scriptural authority for that and that is internally inconsistent , historically implausible and empirically disconfirmable, as I have argued elsewhere on salted.net:)

Do you believe that the Buddha believed that all systems are consistent? That is, do you think the Buddha allowed for contradictions? Or, in less technical terms, was the Buddha a man of reason or not?

:)

Mat
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited January 2010
    SherabDorje, he's not setting himself up as a teacher. It seems likely that the threat is limited to his own delusion.
  • edited January 2010
    fivebells wrote: »
    SherabDorje, he's not setting himself up as a teacher. It seems likely that the threat is limited to his own delusion.

That was constructive:)

Can you answer the question? It is a simple one:)

Did the Buddha allow for contradictions?
  • edited January 2010
    "I am not representing anything. I am stating what I can see as the self evident truths of all contingent systems."

As long as that's clear. I may not have time to engage in the whole phenomenological discussion today. For the moment, I'll grant you that I think the Buddha was a man of reason, and he wouldn't expect anyone to take anything on blind faith.
  • edited January 2010
    "I am not representing anything. I am stating what I can see as the self evident truths of all contingent systems."

As long as that's clear. I may not have time to engage in the whole phenomenological discussion today. For the moment, I'll grant you that I think the Buddha was a man of reason, and he wouldn't expect anyone to take anything on blind faith.

I agree. And I am not sure where we disagree then?

Maybe you are picking up on the nomenculture of the "first truth", sure, call it the zeroth truth or whatever, the point is, it is true of all systems.

So we have that, and then the other three... again... do you believe those?
  • edited January 2010
    There are as many "phenomenologies" as there are people, and I'm not sure I have time to take a comprehensive look at yours today.
  • edited January 2010
    There are as many "phenomenologies" as there are people, and I'm not sure I have time to take a comprehensive look at yours today.

I don't even know what that means:)
    edited January 2010
    MatSalted wrote: »
    That was constructive:)

Can you answer the question? It is a simple one:)

Spiritual practice is fundamentally a demolition. Get used to it.
  • edited January 2010
    Spiritual practice is fundamentally a demolition. Get used to it.

You cannot answer the question, that's fine, I agree it would take reason and thought.

Do you see though that you belittle yourself when you try to belittle my my attempts to answer. Sure, you are far more enlightened than ignorant me, but maybe rather than bring negativity to this, why not just light some more incense and relax your oh so pure ego?

Mat
  • edited January 2010
    I am not representing anything. I am stating what I can see as the self evident truths of all contingent systems.

If you like, see it as scraping Buddhism and starting again to see what we can see the Buddha discovered.

You do not know what Buddhadharma was, nor do I. We only have the clearly modified scriptural authority for that and that is internally inconsistent , historically implausible and empirically disconfirmable, as I have argued elsewhere on salted.net

Mat
    It seems that what you are labeling as "Buddhism" would be your interpretation of "inconsistencies" within the accepted scriptural writings.
    Buddhism as a tradition and practice is much more than this and actually has beaten you to the punch by about two thousand years on the whole idea of going beyond those scriptures and finding out for oneself what the Buddha actually discovered. Your writings hold vast evidence that you have had no experience with an actual Buddhist teacher. If you did you would see that the scriptures are support for transmitting personal experience and knowledge from teacher to student. This among other things renders your entire thesis redundant, outdated, and misinformed.
    Its not very salty.
  • edited January 2010
    It seems that what you are labeling as "Buddhism" would be your interpretation of "inconsistencies" within the accepted scriptural writings.
    Buddhism as a tradition and practice is much more than this and actually has beaten you to the punch by about two thousand years on the whole idea of going beyond those scriptures and finding out for oneself what the Buddha actually discovered. Your writings hold vast evidence that you have had no experience with an actual Buddhist teacher. If you did you would see that the scriptures are support for transmitting personal experience and knowledge from teacher to student. This among other things renders your entire thesis redundant, outdated, and misinformed.
    Its not very salty.

Can you, simply, tell me, what my mistakes are, rather than saying I am mistaken because I am not in accordance with the scriptures that have no accurate authenticty?

Or do you simply have faith in them?

Show me I am wrong, or simply disagree, you cannot say I am wrong just because I disagree with your view, that I consider probably mistaken:)

Put up, or go in silence;)

Mat
  • edited January 2010
    Please allow us to be kind. At this point, there is no more reason to read it than there is to read the work of any of thousands of other people that have tried to make similar analyses. There is just not enough there to hold my interest. With that, I go in silence.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2010
    I think the dharma says that all views are wrong... But that the awareness that sees is ok.
  • edited January 2010
    So What Happened between this:
    Please allow us to be kind. At this point, there is no more reason to read it than there is to read the work of any of thousands of other people that have tried to make similar analyses. There is just not enough there to hold my interest. With that, I go in silence.

And

Thank you.

;)

Be well with your very Buddhist Inconsitency
    edited January 2010
    Do you see though that you belittle yourself when you try to belittle my my attempts to answer.

I belittle nothing. A delusion is a delusion, and calling it so does not make it any littler than it is.
  • edited January 2010
    I belittle nothing. A delusion is a delusion, and calling it so does not make it any littler than it is.

Why is it a delusion to think that the foundation of Dharma is the Fourth Truths I mentioned?

You always refuse my questions and simply insult. Try to think for yourself and answer pllllllease!:)

Mat
  • edited January 2010
    Can you, simply, tell me, what my mistakes are, rather than saying I am mistaken because I am not in accordance with the scriptures that have no accurate authenticty?

Or do you simply have faith in them?

Show me I am wrong, or simply disagree, you cannot say I am wrong just because I disagree with your view, that I consider probably mistaken:)

Put up, or go in silence;)

Mat
    I said nothing about my views. I offer no counter argument. Since you are the one trying to prove a point the onus is on you to come up with something other than the same tired and inaccurate criticisms.
    I simply pointed out a simple and clear area where your argument is flawed.
  • edited January 2010
    I agree with SherabDorje. MatSalted, I briefly scanned your essay when you first started this topic, and thought to myself that this is an interesting personal analysis of the Dharma, but it does sort of represent itself as an authoritative analysis of the Dharma. I believe you would be doing the world a nice little favor by just placing a paragraph at the beginning that gives the premise of what your essay is about, and clarifying your intentions [you know, a thesis paragraph, like an essay is supposed to start with. :) ] Please?

brian <script type="text/javascript">vbmenu_register("postmenu_79709", true); </script>
    edited January 2010
    Why is it a delusion to think that the foundation of Dharma is the Fourth Truths I mentioned?

You always refuse my questions and simply insult. Try to think for yourself and answer pllllllease!:)

I am thinking for myself. It's you who wants me to let you think for me...

That is not the fundamental delusion. The fundamental delusion is that you think anything you've written here could possibly be of any use, even if it were true. It's typical of analytic philosophers, thinking they can do something which matters using reason alone, with no consideration for experience. The fact is, even if every word of this essay were true, you'd still be a narcissistic asshole, and putting an end to that is what Buddhist practice is really about.
  • edited January 2010
    I am thinking for myself. It's you who wants me to let you think for me...

That is not the fundamental delusion. The fundamental delusion is that you think anything you've written here could possibly be of any use, even if it were true. It's typical of analytic philosophers, thinking they can do something which matters using reason alone, with no consideration for experience. The fact is, even if every word of this essay were true, you'd still be a narcissistic asshole, and putting an end to that is what Buddhist practice is really about.

How can you possibly know anything about me when you don't read my words other than a quick scan to see if they fit with your indoctrinated and indoctrinating view?

I have to assume you are American because of your aggression and insulting manner. I hope you find a way to work through that:)

Be well,

Mat
    edited January 2010
    Wrong on three counts:

• I read through some of your blog, and have been following your twitter account. You are absolutely full of yourself.
    • I'm not American, though I live here. Perhaps that means there's hope on that count.
    • This is not aggression.
  • edited January 2010
    Wrong on three counts:

• I read through some of your blog, and have been following your twitter account. You are absolutely full of yourself.
    • I'm not American, though I live here. Perhaps that means there's hope on that count.
    • This is not aggression.

LOL! I'm flattered. Please don't take my sense of humour and lack of seriousness me being full of my self on twitter. I am very far from the arrogant you seem to think.

It was agreeseve, negate, needles, mean spirited and very un Buddist of you to come in like that, if you start with negative you make more negative.

Be nice. I'm sure we both mean well:)

twitter.com/matripley
    edited January 2010
    No, it really wasn't. It was just stating a fact. Your mollification at this "flattery" just proves the point. Incidentally, it wasn't flattery, any more than the other stuff was an insult. It was just stating a fact.

The point is, most people are narcissistic assholes, Buddhist practice puts an end to that, among other forms of suffering, and your ideas are completely irrelevant to this central goal, and in fact impede your personal progress towards this goal, because these ideas are a vehicle for your ego.
  • edited January 2010
    No, it really wasn't. It was just stating a fact. Your mollification at this "flattery" just proves the point. Incidentally, it wasn't flattery, any more than the other stuff was an insult. It was just stating a fact.

The point is, most people are narcissistic assholes, Buddhist practice puts an end to that, among other forms of suffering, and your ideas are completely irrelevant to this central goal, and in fact impede your personal progress towards this goal, because these ideas are a vehicle for your ego.

"You state no facts, just your opinion.
    You are into the pith and skin,
    Not what is deeper in the onion.
    And so, as you walk the path,
    Your head is a bunion."

Five Bell's Sutra:p

That's a joke, by the way:)

Does humour belong in buddhism?

Anyways, I disagree, Mr Grumpy. I think you may well be the one mistaken:)

You don't have the means, nor are there the facts, to show me you are not mistaken.

So all you can do is insult and shout sutradogma:)

Maybe try you should try doubting things, see where you end up?
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2010
    "I have to assume you are American because of your aggression and insulting manner."

I didn't know we were so popular. Seriously this isn't too much danger someone is going to mistake someone's blog for the keys to enlightenment. Not worth arguing.
  • edited January 2010
    Jeffrey wrote: »
    "I have to assume you are American because of your aggression and insulting manner."

I didn't know we were so popular. Seriously this isn't too much danger someone is going to mistake someone's blog for the keys to enlightenment. Not worth arguing.

I agree! Where on earth do I tout this as anything other than my attempts to see the ontology of Dharma.

It isnt worth arguing because there is no argument other than to attack the actual reasoning I have made (which would be fine) or just ignore it and be your own light.

Its not a competition...
  • edited January 2010
    It isnt worth arguing because there is no argument other than to attack the actual reasoning I have made (which would be fine) or just ignore it and be your own light.

I've decided to go with the just ignoring it and being my own light. Thank you for sharing and have a nice day.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Just my opinion of your arguments....

One thing my teacher has told me is that there is no airtight theory of reality. I think whenever you try to make something like that you end up to heavy and rigid. Which my teacher has told me is a hindrance to progressing spiritually. Because our rigid views cause us so much suffering. No one view can freeze reality and describe it. They are all useful to a point but once you get attached to the view you end up suffering when it is no longer an appropriate view.

Second my teacher has stated that there are contradictions in the dharma in a way. All teachings are skillful means they are not ultimate truth imo. So you can have two teachings that appear contradictory. Because they are remedies for specific problems their purpose is not to form an airtight theory. Rather their purpose is to correct one problem.

An example of this is the idea of non-self. Which is an antidote to clinging to the idea of a self. Clinging to concepts. Clinging to views. But you can also cling to the idea of emptiness in which case you might reintroduce the idea of a self. A self that is unconditional awareness. Theres a whole debate about this and since I am nowhere near an understanding of emptiness I will just express that I do not wish to debate that topic. Here I am just using this as an example of two teachings appearing contradictory with the purpose of removing attachment to a view of self. Or a view of emptiness.
  • edited January 2010
    Hi Jeffrey
    One thing my teacher has told me is that there is no airtight theory of reality.

How does he or she know that?
    Do you question or just accept what they say?

I think whenever you try to make something like that you end up to heavy and rigid.

Why do you think that?

No one view can freeze reality and describe it.

I agree, but is there not a foundation to reality?

Why would think there is not?

Do you not think we can even speak about it?

An example of this is the idea of non-self. Which is an antidote to clinging to the idea of a self. Clinging to concepts. Clinging to views. But you can also cling to the idea of emptiness in which case you might reintroduce the idea of a self. A self that is unconditional awareness. Theres a whole debate about this and since I am nowhere near an understanding of emptiness I will just express that I do not wish to debate that topic. Here I am just using this as an example of two teachings appearing contradictory with the purpose of removing attachment to a view of self. Or a view of emptiness.

Understood. But I would say that your teacher is wrong because if there are two contradictory teachings then one of them must be wrong.

A Buddhist can be reasonable or unreasonable, I am only interested in debate and progressing within the bounds of reason:)

It is that simple to me:)
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2010
    What I am saying about the dharma is that its all wrong.. Its only skillful means.

Don't mistake the finger for the moon :cool:

Here's an exercise for you... See where your thoughts come from.. go to.. and abide...

When you see then you should be amazed. If you say 'so what' then I would say your at a purely intellectual level.
  • edited January 2010
    What I am saying about the dharma is that its all wrong.. Its only skillful means.

Don't mistake the finger for the moon :cool:

Here's an exercise for you... See where your thoughts come from.. go to.. and abide...

When you see then you should be amazed. If you say 'so what' then I would say your at a purely intellectual level.

You assume that I haven't trevelled anywhere in the practice of Buddhism, that i just sit and navel gaze about it.

You are mistaken:)

And I don't say "So what" and I do fine it amazing, as an expericne rather than intellectually etc.

I even mention these higher things in the essay.

But the essay is about the foundational blocks, not the experiences dharmically neccsitated by those blocks.

There what dharma before meditation, you know:)

Mat
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2010
    I only share what I thought. I will admit that I might be wrong. :p
  • edited January 2010
    I only share what I thought. I will admit that I might be wrong. :p

Its not about right or wrong, its not an ego competition, even though many here instantly think it is as soon as there is challenge to their their orthodoxy. I see it every time I post here, pretty much.

I don't know at all I am right, I do know that I haven't been shown to be wrong. This is not because I am claiming anything about my beliefs or insights or ignorances, rather I am simply claiming that the Buddha held the view that:

All systems are consistent.
    All systems are impermanent.
    All systems are systems are connected.
    All systems are empty.
    All systems inevitably tend towards the negative.
    All causes have many effects.
    All effects have many causes.
    All effects are causes.

That is it.

If you think he didn't hold that view then either explain why or hold that view as an article of faith. They are the only paths, are they not?

Thanks

Mat
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2010
    In my sangha something called mandala principle is taught. I haven't gotten to that part of the course materials so I don't know what its all about. But what you say sounds similar to that (mandala principle) teaching.

I mention that not to correct you on something but as an avenue of investigation for you should you fancy it.
    edited January 2010
    But the essay is about the foundational blocks, not the experiences dharmically neccsitated by those blocks.

This material would not be considered foundational by most practitioners. The foundations concern death and impermanence, and the samsara of emotional reactivity and projected world views. ("Thoughts which turn the mind to dharma.")
  • edited January 2010
    This material would not be considered foundational by most practitioners. The foundations concern death and impermanence, and the samsara of emotional reactivity and projected world views. ("Thoughts which turn the mind to dharma.")

Do you believe Dharma was true five billion years ago? ie when we can be pretty sure there was no life in the universe...

Do you think Dharma only applies to Experience?

Be nice in your answers please:)

Mat
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2010

YES
  • edited January 2010

YES

WHY?
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Read about the yogacara... That doesn't answer your question. But it might be interesting.

Buddha stated that he taught only extinction of suffering..

Without an experience of suffering there is nothing to teach in dharma.