Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Rebirth: can we simply say "we don't know"?

Comments

• DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited March 2010
    porpoise wrote: »
    Yes he did. Look at the teachings on dependent origination.

P

There is only one sutta that I know of where consciousness is described as "something that lands on the mother's womb" and that sutta is Mahanidhana sutta. This particular sutta's credibility is in question. Consciousness is explained in all the other suttas that I have read so far as "something that arises based on a sense base". The birth in DO is the birth of the self-concept or the ego not a physical birth
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited March 2010
    But the suttas are full of references to birth and death and the realms - how do you account for those?

P

I am not saying there is nothing called rebirth. It's just that, it is not relevant. Rebirth is not described in the core Buddhist teachings like the DO and certainly is not relevant to the practice. From what I understand the whole rebirth theory entertains an ego - the very thing we are running away from.

However, I was in the same situation you are in few months back. This text as well as a lot of other essays from the Buddhadasa Bhikku are great reads so please have a look at them:

http://www.what-buddha-taught.net/Books6/Bhikkhu_Buddhadasa_Paticcasamuppada.htm
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited March 2010
    The OP refences Buddhism in General and a Vajrayana teacher in particular. A general discussion around the subject cannot be limited to the Pali Canon as the final say. Theravada, Vajrayana, and Zen all fall into this trap of reducing Buddhism to there partcular measure of authenticity. All of them can get quite fundamentalist about it. The short answer to this question of rebirth is there is no single General Buddhist answer. This is the fact jack.

Incidentally last I checked this website was called "New Buddhist" not "New Theravadin". The Pali Canon is no more the final say than the Mahayana Sutras, or the words of the Patriarchs.

Perhaps it would be skillfull to clarify ones measure of things as vehicle specific when posting a thread. Then others can recognize and respect that distinction. I'll certainly make the effort to respect that.
  • edited March 2010
    Deshy wrote: »
    Rebirth is not described in the core Buddhist teachings like the DO and certainly is not relevant to the practice.

This was one of the many reasons that started my skeptisism about mystical buddhism. Its profound, when you think about it.

:)
    Salome
  • edited March 2010
    Incidentally last I checked this website was called "New Buddhist" not "New Theravadin". The Pali Canon is no more the final say than the Mahayana Sutras, or the words of the Patriarchs.

Agree but the PC is as close as we have to the originals, certainly it cannot be accurate but its obviously closer than say Zen or Shinyoen:)
    edited March 2010
    MatSalted wrote: »
    Agree but the PC is as close as we have to the originals, certainly it cannot be accurate but its obviously closer than say Zen or Shinyoen:)
    you dont get it. You just dont get it. Silo time. Originals? this means nothing outside of a theravadin context. It is amazing. amazing. Seperate silos. Deshy refers to to "core buddhist techings", really? Silos. Amazing. A vajrayana guy may say which Buddha? Which original teachings, which transmission. A Zen Master teaches as Buddha Now, one of may Buddhas. To a Theravadin this is outrageous. The Pali canon holds no water for a Zen master. It is not even looked at by many Zen practitioners.

So who is "real"? who is the real buddhist? DD would definitely have his answer. While there are Vajrayana practitioners who see Theravada as partial or even degenerate.

So lets not say everybody bows to Zen, or Theravada, or Vajrayana. How about it? Even if you think the other guy is a fake Buddhist.
  • edited March 2010
    you dont get it. You just dont get it. Silo time. Originals? this means nothing outside of a theravadin context. It is amazing. amazing. Seperate silos. Deshy refers to to "core buddhist techings", really? Silos. Amazing.

Richard,

Zen is Middle ages
    Therevada is earlier.

What is the issue here?

Mat
    edited March 2010
    Richard,

Zen is Middle ages
    Therevada is earlier.

What is the issue here?

Mat

Oy vey

Zen regards transmission as multilayered and timeless. Vajrayana regards transmission as multylayered and originating prior to Siddartha Gautama and timeless. The Pali Canon is not "original" teaching to non-theravadins. Do you see? Say of it what you will from a theravadin perspective but it is so. The pali canon is not the final authority for non-theravadins. It isnt. oy vey!!

Once again call that bullshit or whatever, but recognize this fact of differences.

maybe once these difference are just ackowledged, just acknowledged, there can be dialogue.
    edited March 2010
    Communication begins with ackowleging the person in front of you, on their own terms.

These are only issues when yapping. But this medium is a yapping medium so it matters.

anyway.... clearly time for a break.:)
  • edited March 2010
    Oy vey

Zen regards transmission as multilayered and timeless. Vajrayana regards transmission as multylayered and originating prior to Siddartha Gautama and timeless. The Pali Canon is not "original" teaching to non-theravadins. Do you see? Say of it what you will from a theravadin perspective but it is so. The pali canon is not the final authority for non-theravadins. It isnt. oy vey!!

Once again call that bullshit or whatever, but recognize this fact of differences.

maybe once these difference are just ackowledged, just acknowledged, there can be dialogue.

Im not talking about who thinks what of what. Maybe Zen is the divine vehicle handed down by Lord Buddha direct from nibbana...I really dont know... etc etc

I do know that its a much later (1000+ years) school than therevada, which is a much later (500+/- years?) than the period of Buddhism that I am interested in.

This period is when there was no vehicles or schools, just Buddha Dharma and Sanga:)

Shalome

Mat
    edited March 2010
    Im not talking about who thinks what of what. Maybe Zen is the divine vehicle handed down by Lord Buddha direct from nibbana...I really dont know... etc etc

I do know that its a much later (1000+ years) school than therevada, which is a much later (500+/- years?) than the period of Buddhism that I am interested in.

This period is when there was no vehicles or schools, just Buddha Dharma and Sanga:)

Shalome

Mat
    Thats fine Mat. I'm not knocking your interest. I am just saying that if you take an issue like "re-birth". The Pali Canon is not the source of legitimate view for non-Theravadins. You cannot go to a Zen practitioner and say look here this Sutta says this, therefore the matter is settled, anymore than a Zen practitioner can quote something from the Platform Sutra to settle something for a Theravadin. That is all.

So just for sake of communication maybe it is a good idea to be clear in that respect, especially if the context is a General Buddhist one like on this forum. You have your own unique take on things. We disagree on some stuff but I repect where you are coming from.

Anyway no more responses. It definitely time to take a break from this forum. it will be interesting to see what it looks like at a later time. lots of new people.
  • edited March 2010
    You cannot go to a Zen practitioner and say look here this Sutta says this, therefore the matter is settled, anymore than a Zen practitioner can quote something from the Platform Sutra to settle something for a Theravadin. That is all.

For sure. Though my view is you cant use any suttra, from any school, for anything other than guidance, a guidance that I personally will always doubt until I know it myself:)
    So just for sake of communication maybe it is a good idea to be clear in that respect, especially if the context is a General Buddhist one like on this forum. You have your own unique take on things. We disagree on some stuff but I repect where you are coming from.

Ya likewise:) I guess in my terms I follow this equation:

Greater Closeness to Buddha's time=Greater representitiveness of Buddha's teachings.

I don't really have anything to back that up and its not really that important to me because for me it all stops the day the Buddha died. Even if we find a suttra that's 1 week after his death, that's an eternity for my skepticism.

Sometimes I read things said by Buddhists who died mere centuries ago or are alive today and, though I assume there is no connection to the Buddha I think that what they say utterly captures dharma and the spirit of the Buddha that's so clear in the ancient texts.

I dont believe any of Buddhism today is accurate or authentic, my way, your way, their way, but the crucial thing is, and this is a recent revelation to me, even in the Buddha's lifetime it seems there were many ways:)

We should stop using this forum to fight about whose middle path is the best:)

Cowabunga,

Mat;)
  • RenGalskapRenGalskap Veteran
    edited March 2010
    And
    Greater Closeness to Buddha's time=Greater representitiveness of Buddha's teachings.
    But the next paragraph says
    ... for me it all stops the day the Buddha died. Even if we find a suttra that's 1 week after his death, that's an eternity for my skepticism.
  • edited March 2010
    Nice one, Ren...
  • edited March 2010
    RenGalskap wrote: »
    And

But the next paragraph says

Clearly you read through the post with the typical "fault finder" rather than open reader attitude:)

I often make mistakes, I rarely contradict myself.

I shall explain, though I doubt you will give it anything but a combative appraisal.

A:Agree but the PC is as close as we have to the originals, certainly it cannot be accurate but its obviously closer than say Zen or Shinyoen
    B:Greater Closeness to Buddha's time=Greater representitiveness of Buddha's ... C: for me it all stops the day the Buddha died. Even if we find a suttra that's 1 week after his death, that's an eternity for my skepticism.

Demonstrably A is true, though new discoveries could change that.

As I say, I am not sure of why B is true but it seems to be. In common sense and clear reason B seems true to me.

A and B are fully compatible. I don't believe the PC is at all the word of Buddha as I have discussed many times.

C is compatible with this, moreover its supporting.

It doesn't make a jot of difference to me if we find a suttra that comes from the very first meeting after the Buddha's death or was written last week.

Its all open to doubt and question.

I know you find that hard,

But do try to at least be nice if you do reply.

Laters,

mat
  • edited March 2010
    sukhita wrote: »
    Nice one, Ren...

meh.. not so nice
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Dazzle wrote: »
    Buddha said in MN 131:.
    Nice quote.

• edited March 2010
    Nice quote.

nicer!
    edited March 2010
    Yes he did. Look at the teachings on dependent origination.
    In the dependent origination, the Buddha is teaching how ignorance colours or obscurs consciousness, which leads to consciousness absorbing itself into various sense objects. Like this:
    Bhikkus, one who is engaged is unliberated; one who is disengaged is liberated. Consciousness, while standing, might stand engaged with form; based upon form, established upon form, with a sprinkling of delight, it might come to growth, increase and expansion.

Bhikkhus, if a bhikkhu has abandoned lust for the form element, with abandoning of lust the basis is cut off: there is no support for the establishing of consciousness.

When that consciousness is unestablished, not coming to growth, nongenerative, it is liberated. By being liberated, it is steady; by being steady, it is content; by being content, he is not agitated. Being not agitated, he personally attains Nibbana. He understands: 'Destroyed is birth, the holy life has been lived, what had to be done has been done, there is no more for this state of being'.
    And like this:
    "Well, Brahman, when a man dwells with his heart possessed and overwhelmed by sense-desires, and does not know, as it really is, the way of escape from sense-desires that have arisen, then he cannot know or see, as it really is, what is to his own profit, nor can he know and see what is to the profit of others, or of both himself and others. Then even sacred words he has long studied are not clear to him, not to mention those he has not studied.

"Imagine, Brahman, a bowl of water mixed with lac, turmeric, dark green or crimson dye. If a man with good eyesight were to look at the reflection of his own face in it, he would not know or see it as it really was. In the same way, Brahman, when a man dwells with his heart possessed and overwhelmed by sense-desires... then he cannot know or see, as it really is, what is to his own profit, to the profit of others, to the profit of both. Then even sacred words he has long studied are not clear to him, not to mention those he has not studied.

In Pali, the word nirodha does not mean 'cessation'. It means to extinguish, quench & liberate
  • edited March 2010
    delted. me ego popped up
    edited March 2010
    Deshy wrote: »
    The birth in DO is the birth of the self-concept or the ego not a physical birth

Parileyyaka Sutta

:winkc:
    edited March 2010
    Clearly you read through the post with the typical "fault finder" rather than open reader attitude:)
    Ad hom.
    I often make mistakes, I rarely contradict myself.
    The contradiction pointed out is the basis for your attempts to support your views. You've expressed it over and over, although not as explicitly as you did this time.
    I shall explain, though I doubt you will give it anything but a combative appraisal.
    Ad hom.
    C is compatible with this, moreover its supporting.
    Please explain how contradictory statements can be compatible.
    I know you find that hard,

But do try to at least be nice if you do reply.
    That's both an ad hom attack and a straw man argument.
  • edited March 2010
    The contradiction pointed out is the basis for your attempts to support your views.

There is no contradiction.

I reject the texts as completely accurate accounts of the Budda's teaching.
    I feel the earlier texts will be closer to his teaching.
    Even a text written the day after his death I could not consider accurate.

Where is the contradiction?

Sometimes we think we are smarter than we are.
    edited March 2010
    In the dependent origination, the Buddha is teaching how ignorance colours consciousness, which leads to consciousness absorbing itself into various sense objects.

In Pali, the word nirodha does not mean 'cessation'. It means to extinguish, quench & liberate
    In the Buddha's third sermon, he taught:
    "Bhikkhus, all is burning. And what is the all that is burning?

"The eye is burning, forms are burning, eye-consciousness is burning, eye-contact is burning, also whatever is felt as pleasant or painful or neither-painful-nor-pleasant that arises with eye-contact for its indispensable condition, that too is burning. Burning with what? Burning with the fire of lust, with the fire of hate, with the fire of delusion. I say it is burning with birth, aging and death, with sorrows, with lamentations, with pains, with griefs, with despairs.

...ear-consciousness is burning...nose-consciousness is burning...tongue-consciousness is burning...body-consciousness is burning...mind-consciousness is burning.

The Fire Sermon
    In the Dependent Origination, it is taught:
    "Now from the remainderless fading & cessation of that very ignorance comes the cessation of fabricators. From the cessation of fabricators comes the cessation of consciousness. From the cessation of consciousness comes the cessation of name-&-form. From the cessation of name-&-form comes the cessation of the six sense media. From the cessation of the six sense media comes the cessation of contact. From the cessation of contact comes the cessation of feeling. From the cessation of feeling comes the cessation of craving. From the cessation of craving comes the cessation of clinging/sustenance. From the cessation of clinging/sustenance comes the cessation of becoming. From the cessation of becoming comes the cessation of birth. From the cessation of birth, then aging & death, sorrow, lamentation, pain, distress, & despair all cease. Such is the cessation of this entire mass of stress & suffering."
    Now some of dhammas above are defilements and others are merely the basic aggregates.

For example, ignorance is a defilement, craving is a defilement, attachment is a defilement but consciousness is merely a basic aggregate, body-mind are basic aggregates, sense organs are basic aggregates, feeling is a basic aggregate and fabricators [in & out breathing, thought and perception & feeling] are basic aggregates.

When the term 'cessation' is used, it refers to the cessation of the "fires" mentioned in the third sermon. It does not refer to the cessation of the five aggregates but the 'quenching' of the aggregates.

When the cessation of consciousness occurs, it means the "fire" has been put out in consciousness; just like when the fire department put out a fire in a building. The fire is put out but the building remains (until its natural decay).

Kind regards

DD :)

sux7np.jpg
    edited March 2010
    Originals? this means nothing outside of a theravadin context.
    It is a sin or downfall in Mahayana to denigrate the Pali Cannon. This is naturally correct because the Pali Cannon is the original and the root.

If we go to You Tube and listen to HHDL talk about the 4NTs and DO, he often quotes the Pali Cannon.

The Mahayana was an expansion of the Budddhist teachings to attract more people to Buddhism when it lost popularity due to its focus on monasticism.

That is fact rather than emotion. The Mahayana teachers I have listened to have also taught exactly that.

The Mahayana incorporated teachings from Hinduism such as deities & non-duality. Generally, those with less natural wisdom, who do not have natural dispassion towards the world, like the teaching of non-duality.

Non-duality is a balanced teaching.

Non-dual mind is like taking drugs or having sex. It appeals to people and helps them take an interest in spiritual things without being turned away by doctrines such as celibacy, solitude, dispassion, not-self, etc.

So naturally, Theravadins who turn to the Mahayana are denigrated, just like Ajahn Brahm was recently labelled a "Mahayana" for his focus on teaching lay people rebirth and being concerned about female ordination.

When a person has grasped the actual teachings, there is no "me", no "you", no "man", no "monk", no "layperson", no "bhikkhuni".

Ajahn Chah taught like this. The Heart Sutra also teaches like this. Zen also teaches like this, namely, instant enlightenment [well...instant stream entry].

edited March 2010
    Deshy refers to to "core buddhist techings", really?
    Absolutely. The core teachings of the 4NTs, Dependent Origination, Emptiness, the Three Characteristics, etc, have their root in the Pali Cannon and are the core teachings.

Mahayana may have developed different techniques to transmit these core teachings.

What else could be regarded as the core teachings?

If a Zen practitioner is not seeking entry & abiding in Emptiness [Pali: Sunnata] then what are they seeking?

:confused:
    edited March 2010
    A Zen Master teaches as Buddha Now, one of many Buddhas. To a Theravadin this is outrageous.
    Not really.

Buddha is now. Buddha-mind is now. Buddha-minds are many.

It is not outrageous at all.
    "For a long time, Lord, I have wanted to come and set eyes on the Blessed One, but I had not the strength in this body to come and see the Blessed One."

"Enough, Vakkali! What is there to see in this vile body? He who sees Dhamma, Vakkali, sees me; he who sees me sees Dhamma. Truly seeing Dhamma, one sees me; seeing me one sees Dhamma."

Vakkali Sutta
    :cool:
    edited March 2010
    The Pali canon holds no water for a Zen master.
    Then that person cannot be considered a "master".

A person that shows no acknowledgement or gratitude towards their mother & father cannot be a "master".

They can only be described as a "fool" or "puttujana" .

As I said, it is a downfall of a [Tibetan] Bodhisatva to denegrate the Pali Cannon.

:smilec:
    edited March 2010
    So who is "real"? who is the real buddhist? DD would definitely have his answer.
    Indeed, DD would have an answer, albeit, merely their opinion.

The real Buddhist is one taking refuge in the Buddha, Dhamma & Sangha, in their myriad forms.

Even if their life is one bound in defilement & degenerate behaviour, if they simply have faith in the love & compassion of a Buddha, they are a real Buddhist.

The Buddha said:
    47. "Monks, in this Teaching that is so well proclaimed by me and is plain, open, explicit and free of patchwork, those who have simply faith in me, simply love for me, are all destined for heaven."

Alagaddupama Sutta
    edited March 2010
    So lets not say everybody bows to Zen, or Theravada, or Vajrayana. How about it? Even if you think the other guy is a fake Buddhist.
    To me, I only take refuge in the Theravada suttas. But when did I or any other ever think the other guy is a "fake" Buddhist, let alone speak or write it?

"Fake" vs "real"? New concepts to me.

The biggest problem with "Zen" practitioners is they are generally unlearned. They learn a minimalistic teaching then disparage other teachings as being "intellectual". This is the problem of remaining unlearned.

Where as, generally, the Theravadin is learned because the Buddha advised:
    (40) Others will have no learning; we shall be learned here...

Sallekha Sutta
    A Theravadin master is fluid in conversing in any spiritual language, be it Zen, Vajrayana, Christianity, etc.

:smilec:
    edited March 2010
    It is a sin or downfall in Mahayana to denigrate the Pali Cannon. This is naturally correct because the Pali Cannon is the original and the root.

If we go to You Tube and listen to HHDL talk about the 4NTs and DO, he often quotes the Pali Cannon.

The Mahayana was an expansion of the Budddhist teachings to attract more people to Buddhism when it lost popularity due to its focus on monasticism.

That is fact rather than emotion. The Mahayana teachers I have listened to have also taught exactly that.

The Mahayana incorporated teachings from Hinduism such as deities & non-duality. Generally, those with less natural wisdom, who do not have natural dispassion towards the world, like the teaching of non-duality.

Non-duality is a balanced teaching.

Non-dual mind is like taking drugs or having sex. It appeals to people and helps them take an interest in spiritual things without being turned away by doctrines such as celibacy, solitude, dispassion, not-self, etc.

So naturally, Theravadins who turn to the Mahayana are denigrated, just like Ajahn Brahm was recently labelled a "Mahayana" for his focus on teaching lay people rebirth and being concerned about female ordination.

When a person has grasped the actual teachings, there is no "me", no "you", no "man", no "monk", no "layperson", no "bhikkhuni".

Ajahn Chah taught like this. The Heart Sutra also teaches like this. Zen also teaches like this, namely, instant enlightenment [well...instant stream entry].

I had no intention of posting again for a while, but you are really too much who ever you are. You are problem for Theravadins, not me.

take care.
    edited March 2010
    There is no contradiction.

I reject the texts as completely accurate accounts of the Budda's teaching.
    I feel the earlier texts will be closer to his teaching.

Where is the contradiction?
    That's not what you wrote earlier.
    Even if we find a suttra that's 1 week after his death, that's an eternity for my skepticism.
    If one week is that same as eternity, then all texts are equal. For all of them, there's an eternity between the Buddha's death and their composition.

Your arguments assume the more extreme claim. You make no attempt to determine which suttas are older or younger. Your claim is that any statement of rebirth didn't come from the Buddha, regardless of how old the sutta containing the statement is. And this contradicts your efforts to base your arguments on the suttas, because if parts of even the older suttas can be dismissed without evidence, then all of the suttas can be dismissed without evidence.
    Sometimes we think we are smarter than we are.
    Ad hom.
    edited March 2010
    Zen regards transmission as multilayered and timeless. Vajrayana regards transmission as multylayered and originating prior to Siddartha Gautama and timeless. The Pali Canon is not "original" teaching to non-theravadins. Do you see?
    No, I do not see.

Put in another way, the Pali Cannon is also a transmission that is "multilayered" and timeless.
    edited March 2010
    ...then all of the suttas can be dismissed without evidence.
    In fact, simply dismiss the Buddha & Buddhism.

edited March 2010
    ...but you are really too much who ever you are.
    I am a copy & paste robot of the Pali Cannon.

nfsccz.jpg
    edited March 2010
    No, I do not see.

Put in another way, he Pali Cannon is also a transmission that is "multilayered" and timeless.

I am walking away from this site. Not because you are a fundamentalist Theravadin fanatic, but because it is acceptable to the administrators of this site, and the Theravadin Moderator, that an over the top Fundamentilist Fanatic is an acceptable member for this site.

Goodbye. Who ever you are. have reign.
    edited March 2010
    1tndww.gif
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited March 2010
    I'd really prefer that the topic of the thread be stuck to rather than deciding which members are or aren't acceptable or are doing whatever.

I think the point was that the Pali Canon did not seem to support rebirth explicitly. Next it was mentioned that the Pali Canon was not authoritative for everyone. Next that everyone should consider the Pali canon because it is part of buddhism.

That is all well and good but I felt that there was too much divergence from the topic at hand and too much focus on whether DD was legitimate for the site. I also wonder if both of you could use less inflamatory language. In other words say "I think a Zen Master would not discard the Pali Canon" rather than say "well then Zen Masters are unlettered fools who are just stoned on non-duality". I know you did not say that exactly but I am trying to make the point that by changing your langauge, DD, you can help out the discussion (obviously that is just my opinion). Richard I don't think you should speculate if someone is acceptable for the forum. If they do something specific that is unacceptable then report it to a mod. I should probably be reporting to a mod as well. :rolleyes: If you just don't like someone, well then don't talk to them. St. Ignora has been the bodhissatva to save many a internet person.
  • still_learningstill_learning Veteran
    edited March 2010
    I agree with the OP.

I don't think there's a need to know if there's rebirth or not.

We should live our lives as mindfully as possible and be as compassionate as possible no matter what.

But it sure seems like it would take many lifetimes to reach nirvana.

My guess is that most of us aren't advanced enough to understand rebirth. And for those who do understand it, there wouldn't be a way to explain it to us.
    edited March 2010
    It is a sin or downfall in Mahayana to denigrate the Pali Cannon.
    Agreed.
    This is naturally correct because the Pali Cannon is the original and the root.
    The Nikayas and the Agamas share a common root.
    The Nikayas are available in English, and the Agamas, for the most part, are not. It would be nice to have the Agamas available in English, but they are not, and it's a tremendous gift to have the Nikayas available.
    Various parts of what became Mahayana were created by various communities for various purposes. The bodhisattva teachings appear to have been created by monks for monks. If you look at early bodhisattva texts, there's a strong emphasis on monasticism.
  • edited March 2010
    I'd just like to make a point about something that Richard Herman said earlier in the thread, if that's ok.
    Vajrayana regards transmission as multylayered and originating prior to Siddartha Gautama and timeless. The Pali Canon is not "original" teaching to non-theravadins. Do you see?

Vajrayana does not put down Theravada and the Pali Canon.

In 'Path to Buddhahood' which is a commentary on a text called Gampopa's 'Jewel Ornament of Liberation' There is a section on the different levels of the Bodhisattva path.
    Insight

"The third Phase is that of insight, the direct experience of truth and the real nature of mind, the stage of Mahamudra. Here one obtains the state of an arya, which means 'raised above'. Although not yet a perfect buddha, one is nevertheless no longer a samsaric being."................

.......This third phase corresponds to the first bhumi of the bodhisattva levels as well as to the level of the "stream enterer" in the Theravada tradition "

*Note*

*Thanks to Dhamma Dhatu for the informative input in this topic*:)

edited March 2010
    Dazzle wrote: »
    Continuing with Ajahn Sumedho mentioned by DD #39, in his book 'The Sound of Silence' he says:

and

I did not put down the Pali Canon. I simply said the Pali Canon is not the final word for non-Theravadins. This is true. My first book given from a teacher was BuddhaDhamma (Abridged) By Phra Payutto. No one is throwing out the Pali Canon, but the Idea that non-Theravadins must yield to the doctrinal authority of the Pali canon is wrong, chauvinistic and ignorant of other traditions.. The Theravadin View is not all Buddhism. Thats That, thats all.

Have a nice day.
    edited March 2010
    I simply said the Pali Canon is not the final word for non-Theravadins.
    That's obvious.

BTW. Nice to see you back Richard (for another "rebirth").

e5myde.gif
    edited March 2010
    That's obvious.

BTW. Nice to see you back Richard (for another "rebirth").

e5myde.gif
    It happens
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited March 2010
    In our discussion of the question of rebirth the question came up of whether there is a difference between Mahayana teachings and Therevada teachings.

I came across this information..

DO THESE TRADITIONS CONTRADICT?
    His Holiness the Dalai Lama noted the following in the book 'The
    Heart Sutra':
    http://www.viewonbu<wbr>ddhism.org/<wbr>vehicles.<wbr>html

"It is very important to understand that the core teachings of the
    Theravada tradition embodied in the Pali scriptures are the
    foundation of the Buddha's teachings. Beginning with these
    teachings, one can then draw on the insights contained in the
    detailed explanations of the Sanskrit Mahayana tradition. Finally,
    integrating techniques and perspectives from the Vajrayana texts
    can further enhance one's understanding. But without a foundation
    in the core teachings embodied in the Pali tradition, simply
    proclaiming oneself a follower of the Mahayana is meaningless.
    If one has this kind of deeper understanding of various scriptures
    and their interpretation, one is spared from harboring mis-taken
    notions of conflicts between the "Greater" versus the "Lesser"
    Vehicle (Hinayana). Sometimes there is a regrettable tendency on
    the part of certain followers of the Mahayana to disparage the
    teachings of the Theravada, claiming that they are the teachings of
    the Lesser Vehicle, and thereby not suited to one's own personal
    practice. Similarly, on the part of followers of the Pali tradition,
    there is sometimes a tendency to reject the validity of the
    Mahayana teachings, claiming they are not actually the Buddha's
    teachings.

"As we move into our examination of the Heart Sutra, what is
    important is to understand deeply how these traditions complement
    each other and to see how, at the individual level, each of us can
    integrate all these core teachings into our personal practice."

and now from my study group as compiled by a therevadan layperson and an occultist:

The Buddha

T: Only the historical Gautama (Sâkyamuni) Buddha and past human
    Buddhas are accepted.

M: Besides accepting the historical Shâkyamuni Buddha, Buddha is
    considered a supermundane (World-transcending<wbr>) spiritual principle.
    Thus it's personified as Supreme Celestial Buddhas of other
    contemporary Buddhas, like Amitâbha and Medicine Buddha are
    popular.

Sâkyamuni Buddha's Disciples

T: Basically historical disciples, whether arahats or commoners.

M: A lot of bodhisattvas are introduced by Shâkyamuni Buddha.
    Most of these are not historical figures.

Bodhisattvas

T: Only Maitreya bodhisattva is accepted.

M: Besides Maitreya, Avalokiteshvara, Manjûrshrî, KSitigarbha and
    Samanthabadra are four very well known bodhisattvas. The ideal of
    a Bodhisattva is glorified.

Concept Of Bodhicitta

T: Main emphasis is self liberation. There is total self-reliance on one-
    self to eradicate all defilements.

M: Besides self liberation, it is important for Mahayana followers to
    help other sentient beings.

Buddha Nature

T: Absent from the teachings of Theravâda tradition.

M: Heavily stressed, particularly by school's inclined practices.

Doctrinal Emphasis

T: Stresses 4 Noble Truths, the 3 Trainings, the 12 Links of
    Dependent Arising, Noble 8 Fold Path, and Mindfulness Meditation.

M: Stresses generating Bodhicitta, practicing the 6 Perfections, and
    realizing Shûnyatâ. In it's Vajrayâna form, the stress is upon emulating
    the Enlightened State's realization, goal, results, and activity.

Spiritual Levels

T: Shrâvaka bhûmis are listed as eight

M: There are ten bhûmis of bodhisattvas.

Rituals And Liturgy

T: There are some rituals but not heavily emphasized as in Mahâyâna
    schools.

M: Owing to local cultural influences, there is much more emphais on
    the use of rituals; e.g. Rituals for the deceased, feeding of Petas,
    tantric formalities (in Vajrayâna). Devotion and Buddha-worship play
    an important role

Use Of Mantras And Mudras

T: Some equivalent in the use of Parittas.

M: Heavily practised in the Vajrâyana school of Mahâyâna
    Buddhism. Other schools also have included some mantras in their
    daily lithurgy.

Stupa Worship

T: Honoring the Historical Buddha

M: The cult of stûpas becomes prominent as the expression of the
    Enlightened Mind.

Dying And Death Aspects

T: Very little research and knowledge on the process of dying and
    death. Usually, the dying persons are advised to meditate on
    impermanence, suffering and emptiness. Rebirth is to be dreaded.

M: The Vajrâyâna school is particularly meticulous in these areas.
    There are many inner and external signs manifested by people before
    they die. There is heavy stress in doing transference of merit practices
    in the immediate few weeks following death to assist in the deceased's
    next rebirth. Contemplating on rebirth becomes a salient feature of the
    works. Pure Land rebirth was sought and eulogised. The Bodhisattva
    is reborn voluntarily in order to aid all living beings to become
    enlightened.

Bardo

T: This in-between stage after death and before rebirth is ignored in
    Theravâda school.

M: All Mahâyâna schools teach this after death aspect.

Focus Of Worship In The Temple

T: Simple layout with the image of Sâkyamuni Buddha the focus of
    worship.

M: Can be quite elaborate; with a chamber/hall for Shâkyamuni
    Buddha and two disciples, one hall for the 3 Buddhas (including
    Amitâbha and Medicine Buddha) and one hall for the 3 key
    bodhisattvas; besides the protectors, etc.

Goal Of Training

T: Arhat or Pacceka-buddha. Believes that while attaining
    Buddhahood is ideal, it is extremely difficult and beyond most
    people’s capabilities. Only those who practice the meditative
    monastic life (i.e., the monks) can attain spiritual perfection.
    Enlightenment is not thought possible for those living the secular life.

M: Buddhahood (via Bodhisattva path). Believes that restricting
    oneself to attaining Arhat Ideal is too limiting. Mahâyâna school says
    anyone, including laity, can attain enlightenment by practicing the
    Bodhisattva values. The Mahâyâna tradition thus includes numerous
    Bodhisattva saviors.

NirvâNa (Nibbana in Pâli)

T: No distinction is made between NirvâNa attained by a buddha
    and that of an arhat or pacceka buddha. Aspire to achieve NirvâNa,
    or to have a better rebirth in the next life.

M: Also known as 'liberation from SaMsâra,' there are subtle
    distinctions in the level of attainment for the three situations.
    Emancipation can be attained through grace of a Buddha, a
    Bodhisattva or through practices such as repetition of their names.

Tri-kâya Concept

T: Very limited emphasis on the 2 bodies of a buddha. References
    are mainly on rûpa-kâya (Physical-Form) and dharma-kâya (as the
    Body of Teachings).

M: Widely mentioned in Mahâyâna Buddhism. Rûpa-kâya is
    divided up into 2: NirmâNa-kâya (Apparitional Emanation-Body)
    & Samboga-kâya (Reward/Enjoyment-<wbr>body) and the Dharma-kâya
    is considered as not only the essence of phenomena, but also the self-
    nature of all beings in NirvâNa, completes the Tri-kâya concept.

Organization Of Buddhist Scriptures

T: The Pâli Canon is divided into 3 baskets (Ti-piTaka): Vinaya
    PiTaka of 5 books, Sutta PiTaka of 5 collections (many suttas) and
    Abhidhamma PiTaka of 7 books. The Theravâda school rejects the
    Mahâyâna Sûtras and does not recognize the "expansive" teachings
    of the Mahâyâna about Bodhisattvas and about the Buddhas of the
    other directions.

M: The Mahâyâna Buddhist Canon also consists of Tri-piTaka of
    disciplines, discourses (sutras) and dharma analysis. It is usually
    organized in 12 divisions of topics like Cause and Conditions and
    Verses. It contains virtually all the Theravâda Ti-piTata and many
    sutras that the latter does not have. They claimed that their canon of
    scriptures represented the final teachings of Buddha, the "Second" &
    "Third Turnings" of the Wheel of Dharma.

Language Of Dharma Teaching

T: Ti-piTaka is strictly in Pâli. Dharma teaching in Pâli supplemented
    by local language.

M: Original language of transmission is Sanskrit. Buddhist canon
    is translated into the local language (except for the 5 untranslatables)<wbr>,
    e.g. Tibetan, Chinese and Japanese.

Transmission Route

T: Southern Transmission: Sri Lanka, Thailand, Burma, Laos,
    Cambodia and parts of Southeast Asia.

M: NorthernTransmissio<wbr>n: Tibet, China, Taiwan, Japan, Korea,
    Mongolia and parts of Southeast Asia.

Schools/Sects Of The Tradition

T: One surviving major school following years of attrition reducing the
    number from as high as 18.

M: Most of the works gave birth to particular cults. Cult of Amitâbha
    is one of them. In China/Japan 8 major schools based on the partial
    doctrines (sûtras, shâstras or vinaya) of the teachings. The four
    schools inclined towards practices like Pure Land/Amitâbha, Ch'an,
    Vajrayâna and Vinaya (not for lay people) are more popular than the
    philosophy based schools like Tien-Tai, Avatamsaka, Yogâcâra and
    Madhyamika.

Vegetarianism

T: This aspect is not necessary. In places like Thailand where daily
    morning rounds are still practised, it is very difficult to insist on the
    type of food to be donated.

M: Very well observed in all Mahâyâna schools (except the Tibetans
    due to the geographical circumstances)<wbr>. However, this aspect is not
    compulsory.

One Meal A Day Practice

T: This the norm among Theravâda sanghas.

M: This is a highly respected practice but it is left to the disposition of
    each individual in the various sanghas.

Non Buddhist Influences

T: Mainly pre-Buddhism Indian/Brahmin influences. Many terms like
    karma, sangha, etc were prevailing terms during Sâkyamuni Buddha's
    life time. References were made from the Vedas and Upanishads.

M: In the course of integration and adoption by the people in other
    civilizations, there were heavy mutual influences. In China, both
    Confucianism and Taoism exerted some influence on Buddhism which
    in turn had an impact on the indigenous beliefs. This scenario was
    repeated in Japan and Tibet.
  • edited March 2010
    That's not what you wrote earlier.

Its logically and semantically the same thing, I was trying to clarify it for you. If it is logically or semantically differnt please say how.

If one week is that same as eternity, then all texts are equal. For all of them, there's an eternity between the Buddha's death and their composition.

No, my point is that it doesnt matter of its a day or an aeon.

Your arguments assume the more extreme claim. You make no attempt to determine which suttas are older or younger.

Again, you simply do not understand the simple reasoning.

I have spent tens of thousands of words here and elsewhere discussing which are older and younger, even in this thread there is no debate, eg Zen and Therevada. But that's not relevant to this point, extreme or moderate isnt relevant, its the fact there is a any discontinuity.
    Your claim is that any statement of rebirth didn't come from the Buddha, regardless of how old the sutta containing the statement is.

No, my claim is that we cannot know that any statement or principle came from the Buddha. You misunderstand me, missrepresnet me and then miss my point.
    And this contradicts your efforts to base your arguments on the suttas, because if parts of even the older suttas can be dismissed without evidence, then all of the suttas can be dismissed without evidence.

Exactly! I dismiss all suttas as I said in the post you first replied to which you clearly didnt read. Here it is again.

I dont believe any of Buddhism today is accurate or authentic, my way, your way, their way, but the crucial thing is, and this is a recent revelation to me, even in the Buddha's lifetime it seems there were many ways

After three times you still haven't shown what the contradiction is. Pithy quoting from a bluffers guide to philosophy isn't helpng.

Either I am a dunce or you are not as smart as you think. Because I am very confused by your attempts to refute what you haven't refuted and which wasn't even there as an argument but was a statement of my beleifs.
    Sometimes I read things said by Buddhists who died mere centuries ago or are alive today and, though I assume there is no connection to the Buddha I think that what they say utterly captures dharma and the spirit of the Buddha that's so clear in the ancient texts.

I hope you find happiness

mat
  • NiosNios Veteran
    edited March 2010
    This is a reply to the thread in general, no one in particular; a quote from "Sects & Sectarianism" by Bhikkhu Sujato
    If we reflect on the basic issues that divided the schools, we find much that is reminiscent of contemporary Buddhist dialogue. It is a shame that the complex and profound history of Buddhist philosophical thought becomes so easily reduced to the facile dismissal of other schools simply because they disagree with the interpretation of one's own chosen party. As much as we would like to imagine that all the answers are wrapped up, the nature of philosophy is such that the basic issues that generated schools of thought remain, and reappear in varied guises in discussions within the school itself.

Nios.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited March 2010
    In the dependent origination, the Buddha is teaching how ignorance colours or obscurs consciousness, which leads to consciousness absorbing itself into various sense objects.

Among other things.:p

P
    edited March 2010
    Its logically and semantically the same thing, I was trying to clarify it for you. If it is logically or semantically differnt please say how.
    Your original statment:
    ... for me it all stops the day the Buddha died. Even if we find a suttra that's 1 week after his death, that's an eternity for my skepticism.
    This makes all texts the same.
    This allows for the possibility that some texts are more accurate that others.

But the point is moot. You're restated your original, extreme claim.
    No, my point is that it doesnt matter of its a day or an aeon.
    Again, you simply do not understand the simple reasoning.
    Ad homenim argument.
    I have spent tens of thousands of words here and elsewhere discussing which are older and younger...
    And you've also repeatedly expressed an extreme skepticism that makes all texts the same. All texts are an "aeon" or "eternity" from the Buddha.
    No, my claim is that we cannot know that any statement or principle came from the Buddha. You misunderstand me, missrepresnet me and then miss my point.
    I'm only responding to what you've written.
    Exactly! I dismiss all suttas as I said in the post you first replied to which you clearly didnt read.
    Apparently I did read it, since I'm pointing out that you're dismissing all suttas. The issue here is not whether you dismiss all suttas. It's the fact that you dismiss all suttas while trying to support your claims with suttas. If you're going to dismiss all suttas and sutras, then you have no way of supporting claims about what the Buddha taught.
    After three times you still haven't shown what the contradiction is.
    I've shown it several times now.
    Pithy quoting from a bluffers guide to philosophy isn't helpng.
    I'm not quoting, I've never seen a bluffers guide to philosophy, and this is ad hom.
    Either I am a dunce or you are not as smart as you think.
    Please drop the personal comments.
    Because I am very confused by your attempts to refute what you haven't refuted and which wasn't even there as an argument but was a statement of my beleifs.
    It was a statement of belief that contained a contradiction. I pointed out the contradiction.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited March 2010
    I am walking away from this site. Not because you are a fundamentalist Theravadin fanatic, but because it is acceptable to the administrators of this site, and the Theravadin Moderator, that an over the top Fundamentilist Fanatic is an acceptable member for this site.

Goodbye. Who ever you are. have reign.

You always start off comments about Therevadha and the Pali Canon and then shout "foul" when others reply to you.