Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Is Buddhism a religion? And what makes a person a Buddhist?

edited April 2010 in Buddhism Basics
I ask because I have observed very contradictory statements about Buddhism, some people have said Buddhism is a religion and others have said not, some even have gone as far as saying Buddhism is not even a belief system but is about "SEEING". One man I spoke to said that some people make Buddhism into a religion, implying that it can be both and that putting a label on something isn't right.

To be a Buddhist do you need to believe or follow all the Buddhas teachings? Or most of them? If you choose to accept or practice only the aspects you agree with or like are you still Buddhist? Is there any essential Buddhist beliefs?

A man (who claims to be a Buddhist for 25 years) said there is no essential Buddhist beliefs but if there is none, then Buddhism is nothing?

Please help!

Comments

• edited April 2010
    BuddhaOdin wrote: »
    I ask because I have observed very contradictory statements about Buddhism, some people have said Buddhism is a religion and others have said not, some even have gone as far as saying Buddhism is not even a belief system but is about "SEEING". One man I spoke to said that some people make Buddhism into a religion, implying that it can be both and that putting a label on something isn't right.

To be a Buddhist do you need to believe or follow all the Buddhas teachings? Or most of them? If you choose to accept or practice only the aspects you agree with or like are you still Buddhist? Is there any essential Buddhist beliefs?

A man (who claims to be a Buddhist for 25 years) said there is no essential Buddhist beliefs but if there is none, then Buddhism is nothing?

Please help!

Dharma is truth without any Buddha.
    Buddhism is religion based on Dharma:)

Perhaps There are no essential Buddhist beliefs,
    just the self evident truths of dharma.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited April 2010
    good observations... However we slice it we are tired of business as usual. Thats common realization in buddhists... How can we make it better? A guru can help us with their no bullshit alive vision. But without a guru can we do it? Can we throw up at the appropriate time. I guess make nature and your wisdom mind your guru. And compassion. I don't think you can get all these qualities from your imagination (first try) so much as you can from a live guru.

Good luck theres plenty of upchucking to groove to if thats what your supposed to do?!
  • edited April 2010
    MatSalted wrote: »
    Dharma is truth without any Buddha.
    Buddhism is religion based on Dharma:)

Perhaps There are no essential Buddhist beliefs,
    just the self evident truths of dharma.

I thought that even if something is true that it is still a belief, even if you are 100% sure something is true, there is likely to be others that disagree.

The expression seeing is believing implies that a belief can be self evidently true. Not just a conjecture or guess.
  • edited April 2010
    I thought that even if something is true that it is still a belief, even if you are 100% sure something is true, there is likely to be others that disagree.

:) There is a distinction between what is believed and what is true. The world is round, whatever people may have believed.

Try to doubt dharma and you will see how true it is.

well wishes

Mat
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Traditionally, yes, Buddhism is considered a religion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_religious_groups

Of course it is ALSO a practice, and a philosophy, AND ... many other things.
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    edited April 2010
    As for the 2nd part of the question ...

Traditionally, to be a Buddhist you must take refuge.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refuge_(Buddhism)
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    edited April 2010

Please help!

There are people who like the search for truths and believe that Buddhism holds some kernels of truth, but do not care for the bulk of Buddhist teachings. These people call themselves Buddhists.

There are people who like the search for truths and believe that Buddhism is the path to discovering these truths. They read books and ask questions, and practice in a solitary manner. These people call themselves Buddhists.

There are people who like the search for truths and believe that a particular teacher holds the keys to the way to discover these truths. These teachers may be trained in a particular school/lineage of Eastern Buddhism, or they may be "wild cards" (maybe people from the first group above). Regardless, these people (who follow teachers) call themselves Buddhists.

This is why you will find contradictions. If you want to know what Buddhism teaches, you are probably best to ask a teacher trained in one of the Eastern schools or lineages. If you ask a teacher from each of the various lineages, you will find that their replies may have some superficial contraditions, but basically they will agree with each other. However, if you ask here, you will get answers from all three "groups" outlined above, and each of us will answer that which is right, for ourselves.
  • edited April 2010
    Hi Buddhaodin,

is Buddhism a religion? I think it depends on how you define religion. For example, here is one definition of a religion:

a strong belief in a supernatural power or powers that control human destiny;
    an institution to express belief in a divine power; wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

Under this definition, Buddhism would not be a religion, since belief in a divine power is not relevant to the practice.

Here is another definition of religion:

A collection of practices, based on beliefs and teachings that are highly valued or sacred; Any practice that someone or some group is seriously devoted to; Any ongoing practice one engages in, in order to shape their character or improve traits of their personality; ...en.wiktionary.org/wiki/religion

This definition of religion describes Buddhism very well, so yes, Buddhism is a religion.
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited April 2010
    To understand how these contradictions evolved, see The Story of Fire. These contradictions arise around every contemplative practice. There is further explanation in this series of podcasts.
    It is not nothing. It is a set of practices for waking up to the direct experience of life.
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited April 2010
    fivebells wrote: »

It is not nothing. It is a set of practices for waking up to the direct experience of life.

I think that's a great summary :).

I consider it a philosophy, not a religion. The main difference between religions and Buddhism is that religions typically hold a set of external beliefs that one must adopt or have faith in, in order to 'belong' to it (that's my subjective defining of religion anyway.) In Buddhism, its not about shifting belief toward a new set of norms, but shifting the mind and eyes to view the wonder in the present moment. There are some tricks to do this, which sometimes get confused with traditional faith/religious dogmas.

ww,m
  • skydancerskydancer Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Buddist meditation is a spiritual practice. What makes a person Buddhist is taking refuge.
    yuneifique
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Buddhism is a science in the sense that the teaching can be practiced, tested and proven. You cannot say the same to religious philosophies.
    yuneifique
    edited April 2010
    It is not a science. A scientific hypothesis is specific and can be objectively tested. A test involving subjective experiences induced by meditation is ipso facto not objective.

It is fair to say it's empirical, though.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Nibbana is specific and can be objectively tested and proven to oneself
  • jinzangjinzang Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Ponlop Rinpoche comments on the subject here.
  • ansannaansanna Veteran
    edited April 2010
    At the start, Buddha Dhrama is those who seek the truth , want to perceive the true nature of our reality . The in order to pass the truth and help the common masses out from their ignorance and suffering, since the majority of the human mind are spiritually dull , attached to supersition , premitively simple minded preconditional to assume some kind of religion - the enlightened and compassionate Buddhist teacher required to package the Buddha Dharma into some kind of religion into order to suit the deluded mind of those common masses.

even in the realm of Buddha Dharma/ Buddhism , there is a distinction between a practitioner and a believer
    edited April 2010
    Great link, Jinzang!
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited April 2010
    ansanna wrote: »
    even in the realm of Buddha Dharma/ Buddhism , there is a distinction between a practitioner and a believer

Indeed
  • edited April 2010
    Three people stand around a flower:

One concluded it is a flower
    Another claimed it's not a flower, but merely a growth from the earth
    The third person rejected either views, and 'set the others straight' and said it was a multi-celled organism
  • MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited April 2010
    rbastien wrote: »
    Three people stand around a flower:

One concluded it is a flower
    Another claimed it's not a flower, but merely a growth from the earth
    The third person rejected either views, and 'set the others straight' and said it was a multi-celled organism

You say tomattah, I say tomottah, let's call the whole thing off :)

Mtns
  • edited April 2010
    Buddhism defies conventional definition. You could say it's a combination of religion, philosophy, psychology and science... but that's not helping to nail it down.

Buddhism is two things:

1) A conceptual representation of reality to the best of the Buddha's, and his followers', ability to describe

2) The way to know the truth for yourself, through understanding of the teachings and practicing/following the Noble Eightfold Path

The entire objective is to go from understanding the concepts to actually "knowing" the truth for yourself. The mind can find self-evident truth in Buddhism with the same conviction you would have that someone was just shot right in front of you. The process whereby the mind goes from conceptual knowledge (which is more or less "belief") to self-knowledge ("wisdom") is called Realization. When the mind realizes the truth, it changes on a fundamental level; what you believed before is replaced with knowledge born of direct experience/insight, and that insight becomes the new foundation. If you have other beliefs that are not supported by this foundation, they fall away; they do not have the support to remain.

These are, I would say, the core concepts of Buddhism:

The Four Noble Truths
    The Noble Eightfold Path
    Impermanence
    Non-Self or Selflessness
    Dependent Origination (or Dependent Arising, Co-Arising, etc.)
    Dukkha
    Kamma/Karma
    Rebirth, either metaphorical or literal
    Samsara
    Nibbana/Nirvana

Many call themselves Buddhists, and that's their choice. What really makes a person a Buddhist though is that they apply effort toward understanding the teachings and practicing the path rightly. That is the ultimate intention of the teachings: to help people awaken to reality. That is not to say that people don't use Buddhism for other goals, but Buddhism's true goal has always been one of liberation.