Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The Buddhist ideal on earth is a state of passive indifference to everything?

edited April 2010 in Buddhism Basics
The <!--k23-->Buddhist ideal on earth is a state of passive <!--3ref=u44=xxyyyk.htm-->indifference<!--k07--> to everything?

Comments

• Quiet_witnessQuiet_witness Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Why do you ask this question? Is there something that gives you the perception that Buddhism teaches indifference?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2010
    BuddhaOdin wrote: »
    The <!--k23-->Buddhist ideal on earth is a state of passive <!--3ref=u44=xxyyyk.htm-->indifference<!--k07--> to everything?
    Of course not. Where did you get this idea? :)

There is acceptance of things as they are, because if we are powerless to change them, then they are as they are.
    But indifference?
    Foolish.
    How can one practise compassion if one is indifferent?
  • GlowGlow Veteran
    edited April 2010
    It's like the serenity prayer: "God give me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change what I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."

Buddhism is about accepting those aspects of life which we cannot control, affecting that which we have power over as skillfully and compassionately as possible, and discriminating between what is and isn't under our control. Things that aren't under our control: the inevitability of death/impermanence (anicca), the suffering/dissatisfaction caused by that impermanence (dukkha) and the fact that all conditioned things, including ourselves, arise co-dependently (anatta). The Eightfold Path shows us how to control what we can as skillfully as possible (doing no harm, practicing compassion and equanimity, etc.).
  • MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Definitely. Acceptance and indifference are very different things. You can't be indifferent to all the suffering all around you without being calloused. But you can accept things as they are, and while doing that, you can also try to change the things you can for the better. One of my prayers each time I meditate is that the suffering of all beings be relieved. I know I can't change things for most of the world, so I accept that for what it is. For those beings (including myself) whose suffering I can affect, I try to do so. That's why I became a nurse.

Mtns
  • edited April 2010
    For me, it's about living and experiencing fully and mindfully every second and realising how wonderful and precious life really is.
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited April 2010
    The middle path, to which Buddhists often point, is one where you don't fall into either polar reference points of nihilism or absorption. I think the 'passive indifference' you're talking about is apathy, which would be the nihilism 'nothing matters'

In between is a state where love blooms and things matter, but in a way that lets everything be as it is... as respecting subjective perspectives.
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Hi Matt,
    aMatt wrote: »
    The middle path, to which Buddhists often point, is one where you don't fall into either polar reference points of nihilism or absorption.

The Buddha taught the "Middle Way" as the path of practice which avoids the extremes of self-mortification and sensual indulgence. He praised, on many occassions, absorption (Jhana). It is only "absorption" in sensual pleasures that does not leading to Awakening.

With Metta,

Guy
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited April 2010
    GuyC wrote: »
    The Buddha taught the "Middle Way" as the path of practice which avoids the extremes of self-mortification and sensual indulgence. He praised, on many occassions, absorption (Jhana). It is only "absorption" in sensual pleasures that does not leading to Awakening.
    With Metta,

Guy

Certainly! If you apply that basic foundation toward the energies asked for in the question, would you regard the middle path (or way as you use) as in-between the concepts to which I was pointing?

Would self-mortification be the extreme version of apathy when self-centrically observed? Would sensory indulgence be the extreme version of absorption when also self-centrically observed?

I relate to this middle ground as it applies to how we relate to the world, rather than strictly within our body. There might be a more skillful way to express the dichotomy, I do not equate Jhana to absorption... but words are fickle things :)

With warmth,

Matt
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Hi Matt,

This is how the Buddha defined the Middle Way in the Dhammacakka-ppavattana Sutta:
    "There are these two extremes that are not to be indulged in by one who has gone forth. Which two? That which is devoted to sensual pleasure with reference to sensual objects: base, vulgar, common, ignoble, unprofitable; and that which is devoted to self-affliction: painful, ignoble, unprofitable. Avoiding both of these extremes, the middle way realized by the Tathagata — producing vision, producing knowledge — leads to calm, to direct knowledge, to self-awakening, to Unbinding.

"And what is the middle way realized by the Tathagata that — producing vision, producing knowledge — leads to calm, to direct knowledge, to self-awakening, to Unbinding? Precisely this Noble Eightfold Path: right view, right resolve, right speech, right action, right livelihood, right effort, right mindfulness, right concentration. This is the middle way realized by the Tathagata that — producing vision, producing knowledge — leads to calm, to direct knowledge, to self-awakening, to Unbinding.

"Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta: Setting the Wheel of Dhamma in Motion" (SN 56.11), translated from the Pali by Thanissaro Bhikkhu. Access to Insight, June 7, 2009, http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn56/sn56.011.than.html

I don't understand what you mean by this:
    Would self-mortification be the extreme version of apathy when self-centrically observed? Would sensory indulgence be the extreme version of absorption when also self-centrically observed?

With Metta,

Guy

P.S. - Sorry for derailing the thread, but I think it's important that the term "Middle Way"/"Middle Path" is left in tact as the Buddha intended it.
  • jinzangjinzang Veteran
    edited April 2010
    I think you are confusing absence of attachment with indifference. They might sound the same, but they are quite different. But to understand this clearly, you first have to understand what attachment is and how it differs from pleasure, just as aversion differs from pain.
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited April 2010
    I think it's important that the term "Middle Way"/"Middle Path" is left in tact as the Buddha intended it.

I can see that :)

I'm not trying to hijack the term, rather I'm applying it to the world of shapes and colors. I admit I've never been one to adhere strictly to the cultural meanings of words, even still I think we're having a translation issue, rather than a conceptual one.

It appears to me that you're describing the middle path, while I am not. I am attempting to translate the sensory experience of stimuli as we stay centered in the middle path. The depiction you offer doesn't seem like it does much to address the question at hand.

When we experience an object, we do not experience it with indifference/apathy (which I relate to as the emotionality that drives affliction). When we experience an object, we do not experience it with absorption (which I suppose could be said 'the arising of an internal aggressive pushing/pulling?')

The Dhammacakka-ppavattana Sutta is a great guide certainly. The question seemed more in line with what the experience might be like for someone there, rather than what the guidelines are for getting there. "direct knowledge, to self-awakening, to Unbinding" are certainly accurate, but don't seem skillful in responding to the ideas of indifference vs detached communion.

The poet in me was simply attempting to capture the experience into words as best I could. Does that clear it up?

With warmth,

Matt
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Hi Matt,
    aMatt wrote: »
    I'm not trying to hijack the term, rather I'm applying it to the world of shapes and colors. I admit I've never been one to adhere strictly to the cultural meanings of words, even still I think we're having a translation issue, rather than a conceptual one.

The reason I opened my big mouth was because of this:
    aMatt wrote:
    The middle path, to which Buddhists often point, is one where you don't fall into either polar reference points of nihilism or absorption.

I still think that your definition of the Middle Way/Middle Path is inconsistent with what the Buddha taught as the Middle Way. The extremes on either side of the Middle Way are not "nihilism and absorption", they are sensual indulgence and self-mortification.

It might seem like arguing over semantics to some, but IMO it is very important that we get a clear understanding of what the Middle Way is if we are to practice according to what the Buddha taught.

Anyway, that's all I have to say. Again, sorry for going off-topic.

With Metta,

Guy
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited April 2010
    The extremes on either side of the Middle Way are not "nihilism and absorption", they are sensual indulgence and self-mortification.

The is no reason to be sorry, I think your additions to the thread are wonderful. Again, I wasn't defining the middle path itself, at least not in intent. I was relating my experience of the path and how it, for me, shows the dichotomy.

They're just words anyway... look past the finger to the moon! If you remain convinced we stare at different moons, I'm ok with that!

For me, the archetypal harmony that exists with us while in the Middle Way (now capitalized for your scriptural pleasure!), when applied to what we see is exactly absorption and nihilism. Can you see a relationship between self-mortification (lack of appropriate concern for self) and nihilism (lack of appropriate concern for, well, anything)? How about sensory indulgence (high levels of grasping/desire for self) and absorption (high levels of desire/grasping at others)?

Maybe if you step back an look at the conceptual archetypes I'm trying to relate in terms of illuminating what 'detached connection' might look like, rather than defensiveness over translated scriptures?

Again just words! If conceptually you can't see what I am saying, well, darn it! I'll hug you anyway!

With warmth,

Matt
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Hi Matt,

Yeah, I see what you are getting at; not clinging to certain modes of perception, and that certainly has its place in practice. Having a correct understanding of what the Buddha meant when he talked about the "Middle Way" also has its place in practice.

This is something I consider important because it is such a fundamental teaching and I see the term used lightly and thrown around to fit according to whatever people want it to mean. For example, I have seen on other Buddhist forums people have used the term to mean things like "a little bit of alcohol is the Middle Way, 1 or 2 beers, yeah, that's the Middle Way". (Not their exact words, but you get the idea)

Since this forum is called "New Buddhist" I think such a key concept as the "Middle Way" ought to be defined as it was originally intended, in the right context to avoid confusion among less knowledgeable and less experienced practitioners.

This might seem to you like "defensiveness over translated scriptures", but the scriptures are the best thing we have to go by if we want to have any chance of finding out what the Buddha taught and what he encouraged us to practice and what to avoid. Granted, the Suttas are open to interpretation, but this is something that we must do with great care if we are to preserve the teachings for future generations.

So, I hope this helps to clarify where I am coming from. If not, I'm not really into hugging, but good will to you anyway.

With Metta,

Guy
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Oh, well... I am certainly a hugger. I appreciate your respect for tradition, and for the conservation of scripture. Until our paths cross again... :)

With warmth,
    Matt
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited April 2010
    On one level there is an absolute passive indifference. On another level there is an absolute engagement. They are a single experience.
  • edited April 2010
    The Buddhist ideal is a joyful delight and openness to everything while simultaneously letting everything pass and never grasping.

Indifference, like aversion and attachment, is a delusion.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Indifference to everything is nihilism IMO. Buddhism is not "no-self". It is about "not-self". It is like "you feel there is a self but it is not a self". Thus, when a Buddhist sees a man with a bleeding wound he won't think "there is no self there. It's just the five aggregates" and leave. He would do what he can to help the man. Buddhists recognize and live with the reality of things as they are without getting attached to anything through self-identification.
  • edited April 2010
    No. The idea of and the pursuit of an ideal is a problem that causes suffering.