Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Irish Buddist

yildunyildun Explorer
edited December 2011 in Buddhism Basics
HI
Nollaig Shona
Happy xmas to all.and as I am from Ireland
here is a some information on the lost Irish Buddist

Who was he really, this hobo, world traveller and finally famous Buddhist in the Orient who blazed a trail but died, it seems, ignored by history? The enigmatic, free thinking Dubliner who used different aliases, we now know to have been Dhammaloka, "the Irish Buddhist" who converted to his adopted religion around 1900. He became widely known throughout Asia and in the process, managed to fall foul of the colonial establishment as well as Christian missionaries

Hope its of interest

Slainte

yildun

sndymornmmo

Comments

• Happy Xmas from Thailand (originally from Bristol), I hope you have a good time this year, I miss my family and friends, I even cried for the first time in ages tonight because mainly of this.

The Irish buddhist I know little of... sorry :-/
  • yildunyildun Explorer

hi

More info on the Irish buddist
    A kickstarter for a film

https://dana.io/thedharmabum

Slainte

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

And meanwhile in West Cork...

http://www.dzogchenbeara.org/

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran
    edited January 2015

Due to the multicultural origin of my family, we have always spoken several languages back in my Argentinian household.

Despite my mother's insistence on the impracticality of his choice, my brother, who is called Patricio by the way (Spanish for Patrick), speaks perfect Irish and Basque.

Years ago, while taking a summer course on Irish literature in Maynooth, I had the chance to read a book called "How the Irish saved civilization."
    Now we mention that this Irish adventurer from the documentary might be the missing link of Buddhism and Western interchange.
    Irish have a funny way to believe that they might be the alpha and omega of evolutionism :)

P.S: My son's second name is also Patrick, and purely by chance, my Swiss husband happens to be a Patrick too.

• yildunyildun Explorer

hi

Guillermo Brown (William Brown) the founder of the Argentine navy was from Co.mayo!

Allthough Brown was post Irish famine over 1.5 million. emigrated during the 1840s Another Irishman, John Thomand O’Brien from Wicklow, also played a prominent role in the war, being adjutant to San Martin leader of the Argentine war of Independence
    there are many links between ireland and argentina

.http://www.irishidentity.com/geese/stories/argentina.htm

slainte

yildun

slainte

Buddhadragon

@yildun said:
    Guillermo Brown (William Brown) the founder of the Argentine navy was from Co.mayo!

The light over on the west coast has a special quality, I think it's a thousand miles of ocean that does it.
    I apparently have a bit of Spanish blood, they used to visit there regularly. ;)

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran
    edited January 2015

Not a Buddhist, but yes, founder of the Argentine Navy...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Brown_(admiral)

edited January 2015

I had a quick search on Buddhanet for Buddhist groups in Ireland. Not as many as I expected, though I know not all groups sign up to this listing. Mainly in the cities, and I can't see anything in Co. Mayo....

http://www.buddhanet.info/wbd/search.php?keyword=&search=Search&country_id=65&province_id=0&offset=25

edited January 2015

@yildun said:
    HI
    Nollaig Shona
    Happy xmas to all.and as I am from Ireland

Which part of Ireland are you from, Yildun? And are you involved in a Buddhist group?
    I've visited Mayo and Cork a number of times.

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    Fascinating! Thank you
  • yildunyildun Explorer

hi
    I am in the Midlands Co.offaly no local group
    the closest is in Dublin City {Dublin Buddist Center)
    about 40km away.

slainte

yildun

@yildun said:
    I am in the Midlands Co.offaly no local group
    the closest is in Dublin City {Dublin Buddist Center)
    about 40km away.

So do you ever go to Dublin for meetings? And if so which groups have you tried? I did a retreat at Dzogchen Beara years ago, I think Rigpa are quite active in Ireland?

• yildunyildun Explorer

hi
    No have no transport so very seldom get to Dublin allthough I am
    from that city...I have never been to a meeting,rite or temple in Ireland.

slainte

Oh I see - so do you look on the internet for Buddhist stuff, read books?

• yildunyildun Explorer

hi
    autodidact-- books and net.
    PM me if you need more info

cul

yildun

• Hi there,

My name is Ian and I am the filmmaker behind the film about The Irish Monk mentioned in this post.

I am happy to answer any questions you guys might have.

Thanks!

Buddhadragon
  • yildunyildun Explorer

http://thetattooedbuddha.com/why-make-a-film-about-an-obscure-buddhist-monk/

Following Laurence Carroll’s journey from his Dublin roots, to his alcoholism that brought him to the USA and in turn left him hungover on a beach in Japan, to ultimately drying out in a Buddhist monastery in Burma then becoming the first white man to ever become a Buddhist monk. And that, dear reader, is only chapter one of this man’s tantalising story. It’s what he did as a monk that truly makes this a story worth telling.

But first we must back up a little bit.

Back in Dublin, in 1856, the year Laurence was born, Ireland was under colonialist rule by the British. Both the church and the government had a stranglehold on the populace of the country. Laurence was born on the front lines so to speak, as his home was right next door to the local catholic church. One can only speculate as to how difficult his life must have been born into these conditions but considering the fact that Carroll turned to alcohol at a very early age and left his homeland on a boat to Liverpool suggests that it wasn’t the most ideal place to spend a childhood.

In Liverpool he got a job on a ships pantry and set sail for the new world; the United States of America, landing in New York city at the tail end of Ireland’s mass exodus during The Great Famine.

From there he went west, as most people did, in search of a better life. Carroll bummed his way across the USA living hand to mouth, jumping trains, living life as a hobo, a beatnik, a bum, a free spirit. His knowledge of working on ships earned him work on the Acme, a fruit ship on the Sacramento river, which in turn brought him to San Francisco.

From there he worked the shipping route to Japan. Legend has it that on the third trip he was left on the beach in Japan. He was kicked off for drunk and disorderly conduct.

One can only imagine how it felt,

More in the the tattooedbuddha.com

slainte

• thug4lyfethug4lyfe Explorer

It must be tough quitting Guinness