Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Does Money Make You Happy?

ToshTosh Veteran
edited January 2012 in General Banter
It's an old discussion, but one I'm interested in. What's the Buddhist attitude to money as a means of happiness?

Comments

• ZeroZero Veteran
    Cash Rules Everything Around Me...
  • Well what can you do with money? It depends what you do with the money, right? If you use it to buy cocaine that won't make you happy in the end. If you use it to impress people with your belongings then what? If you compulsively shop? What did you have to do to get the money?
  • Because we spend our whole life trying to gain more money (generalizing) then we expect that money should, or is suppose to make us happy. The frustration sets in when we find that it does not, and we assume that it must be because we don't have enough money yet. It is inconceivable that less money could help since we were not happy when we were broke, but we forget the time before the goal of money was established in us... the time when we were little kids, when as long as we were not hungry or cold, and we were loved, we were happy.
  • Islamic perspective, money is used to strengthen the person THAT they can use it to help others.

I think if I had some it would make me happy because I would use it for others. If I only used it on myself, wouldn't that be selfish?

I know this is a Buddhist forum but wanted to offer different perspective with my belief and see how they are in line with Buddhism
  • Money makes the world go round, as the saying goes. But to be rich doesn't automatically mean that one is happy or at peace. We all obviously need to make money in order to survive in the world as we know it, but I think it's important to be happy with what you do and use it to help others, as @Lady_Alison said.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Money doesn't make me happy, but I know I'd be very UNhappy without much of it.
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    People say money doesn't buy happiness. Except, according to a new study from Princeton University's Woodrow Wilson School, it sort of does — up to about $75,000 a year. The lower a person's annual income falls below that benchmark, the unhappier he or she feels. But no matter how much more than $75,000 people make, they don't report any greater degree of happiness.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,2019628,00.html#ixzz1kzUfPZzU

My view of that article says that meeting our needs for security is an important part of happiness. Beyond that material things has little impact.

Though all feeling ultimatly originates in the mind, so even if one is poor a wholesome mental attitude can trump difficult circumstances.

I'd like more money please.
  • enough money to live and work on the spiritual path.

so yes and no.
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    enough money to live and work on the spiritual path.

so yes and no.
    Correct. One of the main reasons for money. Spiritual cultivation.
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Islamic perspective, money is used to strengthen the person THAT they can use it to help others.

I think if I had some it would make me happy because I would use it for others. If I only used it on myself, wouldn't that be selfish?

I know this is a Buddhist forum but wanted to offer different perspective with my belief and see how they are in line with Buddhism
    I am with you. More money equals more help for others. But first help self and then help others.

• zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    edited January 2012
    When I was unemployed, I was extremely stressed over bills. When I was under employed, I was still stressed, but at least could make ends meet. Now, I make a comfortable living (more than I have ever made in the past), but I'm still pretty unhappy because my job is emotionally and physically draining. I break down at least once a week and have an entire daily regiment to put myself in the proper headspace to handle work without crying. But I still keep doing it because what money provides is important to me (security as well as the option for my girlfriend to work less and focus more on school).

What have I learned? Uh... I can find discontent anywhere? The pursuit of money can have negative consequences? *shrugs* I suppose I haven't spent enough time thinking about it because I don't want to. For right now, I'm just going to keep on keepin' on until the big changes I foresee in the future happen.
  • Nope, it brings food and a shelter, but true happiness can never come from money
  • I used to be pretty chill about money, however consistently not having a enough make things harder to work with. Not a buddhist perspective per se, well maybe since I have so much to work harder at then I will have more growth.

I am about 'growed-out'
  • RodrigoRodrigo São Paulo, Brazil Veteran
    Today I make more than I need, and it doesn't make me happy. The moments I'm in peace are not related to things that can be bought, but I think that if I had money problems, it would be more difficult to have these peaceful moments.
  • ArthurbodhiArthurbodhi Mars Veteran
    Money is a material thing, so if money make you happy that mean that your happiness came from outside , not from one self. I don't think possible that a real happiness came from a exterior cause. If we are unhappy, we will be so with money or without it.

Was this one of the causes that prince Siddhartha left the palace? He wasn't happy with all the luxury he had.

Blessings.
  • L
    Islamic perspective, money is used to strengthen the person THAT they can use it to help others.

I am with you. More money equals more help for others. But first help self and then help others.

That is exactly right. You must help yourself first. :)
  • If you want your life to be about money then it will be.
  • I feel that I would behappy with or without it. I would be happy in a palace or a park bench.

I just could not live without love.
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    "I been rich, and I been poor. Believe me, honey... rich is better."

Money doesn't necessarily buy happiness, but being poor makes you far unhappier than being rich. And I've been both.

I'm very poor now; the poorest I've ever been. I'm relatively happy, all things considered, but the lack of money is a constant source of major stress in my life.

I don't need to be "rich".. I think if I had enough money to pay all my bills, afford my hobbies, send my kids to college, and (most importantly) have health insurance, I'd be happy.

• You assume I have not been in your shoes. @Brian...I speak from experience too. I respect what you said, though and Metta.
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited January 2012
    I assumed nothing. Tosh asked a question, I gave my answer. It had nothing to do with you at all. It's just discussion :)
  • @Brian...sorry. oh, lol.

Blame it on themoon? Is it hot in here, or is it just bitch?

Sorry dude.
  • When I was unemployed, I was extremely stressed over bills. When I was under employed, I was still stressed, but at least could make ends meet. Now, I make a comfortable living (more than I have ever made in the past), but I'm still pretty unhappy because my job is emotionally and physically draining. I break down at least once a week and have an entire daily regiment to put myself in the proper headspace to handle work without crying. But I still keep doing it because what money provides is important to me (security as well as the option for my girlfriend to work less and focus more on school).
    :' (

Can you get a grant and financial aid to go to school, ZG? This is not a good way to live.

• I find understandings from models like Maslow's hierachy of needs have something useful to say about this. These developmental models suggest that the most basic level of needs must be met before the individual will focus their motivation upon the secondary or higher level needs. In western culture you can't do much about basic needs without money.
  • jlljll Veteran
    Money makes me very happy.
    But having to make money makes me very sad.
  • Does money make me happy? Let's find out! my Paypal address is iktomi@givememoney.com
  • WHat is happines... That should be addressed first. True long lasting happiness cannot be bought, it comes from within. The best way to get some kind of happiness from money is to give parts of it away IMO. The only reason people are unhappy when they are poor is becuase they live in a society where money is a must. Go and ask the people who live in tribes without money or such things as we do, ask them how happy they are.
  • dust and wind.
  • If money can make you happy, as upon your stomach is in hungering strike, and your wealth is in the bank and you lost all your pocket money. I simply pass you a cake, you will rejoice without awaring that you have ton in your bank. cake is liken to buddhaness of money in your personal bank. but if you do not love money, i am always available for you to dump in haaaaa :D
  • It's an old discussion, but one I'm interested in. What's the Buddhist attitude to money as a means of happiness?
    Money doesn't buy you happiness - but being poor can cause dukkha.

Spiny
    ;)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    My stepson came downstairs from his room, all cocksure and proud of himself, because he had written "Money is the root of all Evil" very legibly using mathematical symbols combined with international money symbols.
    I smiled and replied -

"Very clever. Now write it with the correct quotation:
    The LOVE of money is the root of all evil."

That popped his balloon.... He was really pee'ed off, because he was going to post it on FB....
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    "I been rich, and I been poor. Believe me, honey... rich is better."

Money doesn't necessarily buy happiness, but being poor makes you far unhappier than being rich. And I've been both.

I'm very poor now; the poorest I've ever been. I'm relatively happy, all things considered, but the lack of money is a constant source of major stress in my life.

I don't need to be "rich".. I think if I had enough money to pay all my bills, afford my hobbies, send my kids to college, and (most importantly) have health insurance, I'd be happy.

@Brian, I think we're leading parallel lives ...in the same dimension. :(

With you on this one.....

• money makes me happy because it leads to possibilities. Im hording mine at the moment so I can buy a house. I counted out my copper coins and found over 300 pounds of 1p coins. Im still a long way offa dream home, but thats a pretty good fin for six months of coin saving
  • Karma is on my mind:

It is the mind of giving that brings about the rewards of money and riches in all dimensions of life. All present rewards or lack of rewards are a reflection of our past deeds. Thus if you have something at least give some of it away. Reinvest in your karma.

Thus money in essence can become the vehicle for an authentic spiritual practice. It can also bring about the conditions for happiness to grow. Because all happiness is subjective. What conditions we make are what we make for happiness to arise. Like everything else it is a means to happiness and not an end in itself.

To have aversion to paper is stupidity. To have aversion to greed is wisdom.
  • Money doesn't buy you happiness - but being poor can cause dukkha. Spiny ;)
    Although one can always say that dukkha is in the mind, and point to impoverished people in India who are happy, I think there are a LOT of people around the US and probably Europe right now to whom money looks like the Promised Land. Being homeless or jobless and not being able to provide for your family isn't anything to be treated lightly.

• money makes me happy because it leads to possibilities. Im hording mine at the moment so I can buy a house. I counted out my copper coins and found over 300 pounds of 1p coins. Im still a long way offa dream home, but thats a pretty good fin for six months of coin saving
    hmm... copper. Pennies. I never thought of that. This has completely changed my view of pennies.

• I would retire if it didn't.
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    “If I give this, what will be left for me?”
    Thinking for oneself — the way of evil ghosts.
    “If I keep this, what will be left to give?”
    Concern for others is the way to heaven.

-Shantideva in “The Way of the Bodhisattva”
  • Money makes me feel happy in that "Yay now I can afford to not die" sort of way, does that count?
  • pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited February 2012
    The love of what money can buy is the root of all "evil".

Money can buy what we desire and get rid of what we dislike, or so we think. When we lack the means of getting what we want, with or without money, we suffer.

Even if we get what we want, we still suffer trying to protect what we have!
  • a few years ago I spent allot of time with a wealthy man...I'll never forget the day I paid him a visit and he had just purchased ANOTHER T.V for his kitchen (of all places)....he looked at me and with much sadness said "I have a TV in the lounge, the dinning room, in every bedroom and now the kitchen...I have many houses and investments...what else can I buy?"...his purchases were not giving him peace or happiness as they once did...at the end of the day he was not a happy person even though he seemed to have everything that most people would dream of...when I left his home that day, I walked away knowing (with out doubt) that money does not = happiness...money bringing happiness is an imperfect illusion of samsara...Buddha walked away from material wealth for the sake of enlightenment...that's my take on it :)
  • If you have a lot of money and it's making you unhappy then please feel free to send it to me.... :p
  • I have noticed that if I have just enough money to buy food for the month for me and my GF, to have a few other things like maybe a meal out or something, then I am happier than if I had enough to go and do what I want. I have always been bad with money, if this makes sense I kind of don't like to have it. I just spend it. I see that it is a mere tool, but I know myself and I often cannot trust myself. As biggie smalls said, 'more money more problems', there is a lot of truth in that. Even if you are wise and use it as a tool with no attachment, if you come into a vast amount of money it is going to create more problems if you consider it. If I were to come into a vast amount of money however, I obviously would give a lot of it away to good causes and friends/family, but there is that side of me which I almost not for a certainty that I will go on one hell of a binge. Kind of like Al Pachino in scarface with his mountain of cocaine, I would just go and buy a few ounces maybe.

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited February 2012
    he had just purchased ANOTHER T.V for his kitchen (of all places)....
    I've been surprised at how common a TV in the kitchen is. Some people like to watch TV while they cook.

This poor guy has no imagination. Each of those TV's could have paid for a needy student's college textbooks for a year or two. Gathered all together, the price of all his unnecessary luxuries could have been used to set up a small charitable foundation to help the needy with medical costs, provide a few college scholarships, or whatever. He would have gotten much more joy from helping others than from buying things he didn't need. It's so sad--there's so much need in the world, and yet the people with the means to address it are just frittering away their money, and remain unhappy themselves, wondering why life gives them no satisfaction. That's pitiful.

• ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
    edited February 2012
    TV once quoted as the opium of the masses. I don't own one. There was something Homer said in the Simpsons which still stays with me, it is great. I find the Simpsons to be actually really quite clever with a lot of what they produce, under the humour and cartoon, there are many political and hidden messages only few can see. Anyway, Homer, Bart and Lisa are watching TV and the remote is dropped which changes the channel to one which to them is terribly boring. Homer in a state of panic says, 'quick change the channel, I don't care what I just don't want to have to think'. It is ironic how a company that creates a cartoon for business can send messages like that, and also bash fox around so much, kudos to the simpsons.
  • Money gives me peace of mind and contentedness when I can pay the bills and provide for basic needs, plus the occasional treat. What more does one need?
  • My stepson came downstairs from his room, all cocksure and proud of himself, because he had written "Money is the root of all Evil" very legibly using mathematical symbols combined with international money symbols.
    I smiled and replied -

"Very clever. Now write it with the correct quotation:
    The LOVE of money is the root of all evil."

That popped his balloon.... He was really pee'ed off, because he was going to post it on FB....
    Haha, wel I shouldn't laugh (is he a teen or young adult?)

I am very careful on the distinction in the quote, the love aspect is important. i see many things every day that Ithink I may want, however I recall when I had money I often did not spend it on these things. I am comfortable with what I did spend money on (okay everything but the extra mortgage payments that i lost). Much of it was part of how I have gotten so far on a low income. the $500 on a couch would have been wasted since the $300 has been great after all. I always made sure that some of my money went away freely as well. The years that I had a nice income from my ex, worked one job and went to school, were very nice. I just paid the bills! i never take that for granted.

In buddhism it not the 'stuff' as much as the attachment to the stuff. I appreciate every day the things that make my life easier, especially passing countless people without homes every week. However I know i would figure it out if I didn't have these things.

• I take it back. I would like a million dollars to travel the world and find each and every one of you so we can all have tea...face to face.

:)
  • I make lovely tea, and tasty food