Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Have You Ever Mindfully Broken a Precept To Serve a Greater Good?

DakiniDakini Veteran
edited March 2012 in Buddhism Today
The Mahayana concept of precepts being flexible, and relative, meaning: one isn't bound to them 100% and can break them if a greater good is served by it, has often been discussed here. How often does such a situation actually arise in real life? Has anyone ever faced this situation? Have you ever even been tempted? If so, do you mind sharing your experience with us?

Comments

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Yes. As a principal there were a number of times I fudged (lied) to protect a student from a suspension or expulsion when I knew that they would better be served by a lesser punishment.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited March 2012
    Very wise. Good example. Did you actually lie, or just sort of ... evade the truth? I've found that often it's not necessary to outright lie.
    Very wise. Good example. Did you actually lie, or just sort of ... evade the truth? I've found that often it's not necessary to outright lie.
    Well, as they would say nowadays, I put a spin on things, when necessary. Out and out lying would have been reckless.

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    I put a spin on things, when necessary. Out and out lying would have been reckless.
    I might file that under "diplomacy" rather than out-and-out lying. I'm sure principals have to be masters of diplomacy. Still, it's a good example of how we deal with the precepts. Thanx for sharing.

• @vinlyn...I kinda use a little bit of double meanings at times. For example I may use the excuse of not answering my phone by saying : "I was working. "

Some people may assume I was at work, their assumptions are not my fault. I was working on a project, cleaning, laundry, charity work, my partner is considered work...etc.

It's not a lie, its a vague truth.

Sometimes lying could save a person's life. Think of the people harboring Jews during wwii...or they can also save face. A paramedic picking up a woman in labor who defecated and urinates on the gurney isn't going to tell her that, when she's freaking out about her delivering a child on the side of a road with 2 male paramedic with a delivery kit.
  • As far as killing. When the time comes, my cat will be too ill and I will have to decide with my vet if putting her to sleep will be a better option than a poor quality of life. I don't have a problem helping to kill her.

Sexual misconduct? .... no that one is not an issue for me. I guess this means promiscuity, correct?

What other precept is left....stealing....well, what is theintent? Ponzi scheme is not the same as stealing bread to feed your family because you are without a job and living out of your car.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2012
    I have had to wrestle with the 'taking that which is not given' too many times to count.....put it this way... i've won far more bouts on a round-one knock-out than i've lost.....
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    Lying for politeness is a big one for me. Sometimes it's just not polite to tell the truth.

Sometimes my grandmother gives me the weirdest clothing items for gifts. She means so well... but I cannot break her heart and tell her that I would never wear them. There's always a story behind the item too, like, she was out shopping at some 'local shop' and 'this woman makes these completely by hand--can you believe it!?' So when she saw the item... she instantly thought of me. Sigh.
  • Sure, all the time. Not today, but the day is young.

Some years ago I volunteered for a Crisis (suicide prevention) hotline. Lots of training and roleplaying first, and in one of them, we found out that we are expected to lie to the caller if it means keeping them on the phone if we believe they are in actual danger of trying to kill themselves. Not only that, we are expected to say whatever it takes to win their trust, knowing the best outcome is that you hear a knocking on the door in the background as the police arrive to drag the person to a psychiatric evaluation.

"No, we aren't going to call the police or ambulance."
    "No, it's impossible to trace your call."
    "No, we don't try to stop you from killing yourself."
    "Yes, you have a right to kill yourself. I might do the same thing, in your situation."
    "Yes, I'll come get your goldfish later and find them a home. Tell me where you live. No, I won't use the information to call the police."

All the time, your partner is calling the police.

When I found that out, I almost quit. I find it hard to lie to people, in any situation. I was also very serious about the precepts. I was asking someone to trust me so I could break that trust. I didn't think I could do it, no matter what. Shouldn't I try to honestly talk them out of killing themselves, instead?

But after thinking about it for a few days, I realized the precepts cannot trump compassion. We were a "Suicide prevention hotline". Said so right on the billboard and in the phone book. I had to assume, out of compassion, that anyone calling us wanted us to prevent them from killing themselves, even if they couldn't admit it to themselves. We were their last cry for help and in this case, precepts be damned, telling lies and betraying a trust was the exact right thing to do.

Sometimes breaking the precepts is not just excused, it's required if you want to live a life of compassion and helping others. Some choices you have to make require it.
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    @Cinorjer
    Nice example.
    It would be interesting to hear what the people you lied to have to say about this after their crisis is over.
  • Hmm, I bet I have broken every one at some point but most of the time with the intention of doing the best thing in the moment. Not outright lying but I am pretty good at the schmooze, or spin (watch Thank You for Smoking). I do not do this to just make myself look good but sometimes there is a higher good. With my kids, they push to know exactly what I am doing so it is hard. But sometimes they simply do not need to know.

Last night I did not answer a work call that I could have, and I do not feel bad about it at all. I figure she knows what she is doing by now.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    @Cinorjer
    Nice example.
    It would be interesting to hear what the people you lied to have to say about this after their crisis is over.
    if I'd been one of them, i might well be thanking him right now....

"Suicide: permanent solution to temporary problem."

• @Cinorjer
    Nice example.
    if I'd been one of them, i might well be thanking him right now....

"Suicide: permanent solution to temporary problem."

Few of us get to know if we made much of a difference in the grand scheme of things. Some of the callers had a combination of drinking or drug or mental problems, but every single one of them was lonely. They taught me a lot about compassion and suffering, and the basic worth of even the most miserable of lives. I highly recommend volunteering at least once in your life for something like that. No book learning can match it.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited March 2012
    Great example, @Cinorjer. I can see why it would be really uncomfortable, really difficult, to lie to people calling in. But the greater good is obvious: you're saving a life. I agree with zenff, it would be interesting to do a survey of survivors after their call, after their psych ward evaluation or whatever, to get feedback about the service the hotline provides.

Great examples, everyone. I find that lying isn't necessary if, as @AMH says, "spin" will do the trick.
  • I was thinking about the outright lying, here is the case i could see doing that. let's say B trusted me with some information that was private, and didn't affect their life now. then another person, C asked me point blank "has B ever done this?', I think I would just say not to my knowledge. My promise to keep something private is more important and it isn't my business to tell. Of course it may depend on the circumstance,
    I always answer questions like that with... a pause for thought, then...."Hmmmm... i couldn't tell you one way or the other....."
    If you say it quick and casual enough, they take it as an "I don't know" not as a "I couldn't tell you, because I was told in confidence".....
  • The hard choices involve two actions, neither of which seems right. For instance, you know a couple, and suspect one is cheating on the other. Later on, you will certainly end up in a conversation where you either pretend you don't know he's cheating (in other words, lying) after being asked outright in some cases, or jump head first into a messy situation that usually ends with both of them blaming you for their problems. So do you lie, or do you gtell the truth and maybe make a bad situation worse? Which is right speech? Not such a straightforward precept decision.

• I knew from the beginning that my bestfriends Colombian boyfriend was a stereotypical male chauvinist who had a wandering eye but I gave him the benefit of the doubt even though his behavior was innapropriate, he was a liar, blamed her American culture and his bad English on every culture clash argument...

They married. The reality was that she was lonely and wanted a baby and he was needing to stay in the country. Nevermind he had a history of womanizing and three failed marriages.

A baby later, they seperated and are divorcing. I finally tell her after two years how I trully felt about him and I ask her : "if I had expressed my doubts, would you have gotten married anyway? "

"Yes, probably." She said. I've never spoken bad about him buy their insane relationship frustrated me. I learned that no matter what kind of advice you may impart, most people only hear what they want to hear and only know what they heard....it's only when someone is willing to hear the truth. The brutal truth...that advice may work.

Maybe.

This is a sort of honesty and right speach question, isn't it?
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    I can't believe this train wreck you just described, @Lady_Alison!
  • Lady_AlisonLady_Alison Veteran
    edited March 2012
    Sorry... it was a lot of drama..I just didn't want to influence her choices...so many friends meddle in their bf's lives and it can ruin friendship....so honesty isn't always correct. You need to let people make their own dumb mistakes. She wouldn't have listened to anything that anyone said about him anyway....

Idk...hey, dakini? Does this skirt make me look fat? Lol
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    If you mindfully "break" a precept to serve a greater good, for example, lying to save someone's life, are you really breaking the precept against lying? I don't think so. So no, I have never mindfully broken a precept to serve a greater good because doing so is not breaking them to begin with. ;)
  • If you mindfully "break" a precept to serve a greater good, for example, lying to save someone's life, are you really breaking the precept against lying? I don't think so. So no, I have never mindfully broken a precept to serve a greater good because doing so is not breaking them to begin with. ;)
    Breathtaking. Simply breathtaking.

• The only thing I think of I have lied about is my son's issues and in dealing with the schools. The counselor, principals, etc... had told me when my son on days having serious issues (which averaged once or twice a week) then I just needed to call him in sick, but now days they want to know what has caused them to be sick, since all the dangerous illness there are. They would mark him unexcused had I told them the out right truth that he was having a behavioral issues today, so I just told them he felt sick at his stomach. That gets thrown in my face all the time by my kids that I do lie. Bad karma for doing it?

"Yes, probably." She said. I've never spoken bad about him buy their insane relationship frustrated me. I learned that no matter what kind of advice you may impart, most people only hear what they want to hear and only know what they heard....it's only when someone is willing to hear the truth. The brutal truth...that advice may work.

Maybe.

This is a sort of honesty and right speach question, isn't it?
    Being a military family and there being a high rate of infidelity, frequently issues came up like this. I never could bring myself to lie to them about it, but I didn't go off spilling out the secrets of people I knew. So every time I was confronted with the situation of what I knew, or what my opinion was, I always refused to get into other peoples personal business so it never was a shock to anyone that I wouldn't say anything. I would however, said there obviously was something going on between them that needed to be sorted out, and that they should sit down and have a heart to heart with the person, and get whatever it is sorted out, because whether they were doing something wrong or not, well it was still an issue and that the they should follow their instinct that something isn't right, but it may not be what they suspect on the surface.

I believe we should never tune out our instincts, I learned that the hardest of way, over and over again. However, instinct and suspicion are 2 different things. Instinct can only tell you something isn't right, but not what that is. It's best not to jump on the suspicion wagon though, that tends to lead to some very hurtful language and acts.
  • One of the hardest things I ever did was to have a friend tell me, that she held down her 5 year old son for his father (who legally wasn't even suppose to be around the kids), spanked him, because she couldn't hit him hard enough. I am very protective of all kids, and it hurt to have to call and report my friend. My stomach turn every time I sat by her side after that as she cried because the kids were taken from her. I never told her I was the one that reported her, it felt awful and like I was lying by not telling her, but at the same time I was able to help the child and still be there for my friend by doing it. It did all get straightened out and it took a couple months for her to get her kids back, but it was a hard road to travel down.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    If you mindfully "break" a precept to serve a greater good, for example, lying to save someone's life, are you really breaking the precept against lying? I don't think so. So no, I have never mindfully broken a precept to serve a greater good because doing so is not breaking them to begin with. ;)
    Could you explain this? How is lying not breaking the precept against lying?

While I agree that it may be okay to lie in some situations, I agree with you Dakini...a lie is a lie.

• Thats the purpose of the Precepts=the greater good

if we treat them them just LETTERS and dont understand the MEANING(or purpose for them) then we are the true violators

2 monks walking down the street they pass a naked huirt woman laying on the side of the road the PRECEPT says to never touch a naked woman so the 1st monk passes her by the 2nd monk stops and picks her up.
    which violated the precepts????

which one followed the LETTER and which one understood the purpuse behind the precept and all the other precepts;)
  • Basically, follow the spirit of the precept. ^^
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    edited March 2012
    Basically, follow the spirit of the precept. ^^
    I'll drink to that! ;)

I think it's false to assume, to begin with, that ALL untrue words are breaking the precept. That, IMO, is a misunderstanding of the intent of the precepts to begin with. The intent is to help you stop making bad karma. The whole idea of "A lie always breaks the precept" is fundamentally flawed IMO. A lie is a lie yes, but not all lies break the precept against lying. Lying does not break it when it's appropriate to lie. For example, the Nazis come looking for the Jewish guy you are hiding in your attic and you say "Nope sorry haven't seen him". Yes, that is a lie but it does not break the precept because no bad karma is made from saying that untrue thing. The precepts are designed to stop you from making bad karma. If you do something that makes good karma, AKA saving the guys life, no precept is broken because no bad karma is being made from it. No one, in their right mind, would regret telling that Nazi soldier this untrue thing. The Buddha would say the same thing. The Buddha himself would lie to that Nazi soldier if not doing so meant they would definitely kill the guy.

However, it's possible to take this "greater good" too far and start doing things that you think are good when they actually aren't. Killing abortion doctors would be a good example. There is a line there and seeing where that line is I think is a product of just practicing.

"Intention is All", I think it has been said......

I think it's false to assume, to begin with, that ALL untrue words are breaking the precept. That, IMO, is a misunderstanding of the intent of the precepts to begin with. The intent is to help you stop making bad karma. The whole idea of "A lie always breaks the precept" is fundamentally flawed IMO. A lie is a lie yes, but not all lies break the precept against lying. Lying does not break it when it's appropriate to lie. For example, the Nazis come looking for the Jewish guy you are hiding in your attic and you say "Nope sorry haven't seen him". Yes, that is a lie but it does not break the precept because no bad karma is made from saying that untrue thing. The precepts are designed to stop you from making bad karma. If you do something that makes good karma, AKA saving the guys life, no precept is broken because no bad karma is being made from it. No one, in their right mind, would regret telling that Nazi soldier this untrue thing. The Buddha would say the same thing. The Buddha himself would lie to that Nazi soldier if not doing so meant they would definitely kill the guy.

However, it's possible to take this "greater good" too far and start doing things that you think are good when they actually aren't. Killing abortion doctors would be a good example. There is a line there and seeing where that line is I think is a product of just practicing.

I think where some are having a problem with this is that either you take each Precept at face value, or you don't. And if some lying is okay, then so is some taking life.

• robotrobot Veteran
    John Daido Loori tells a story in one of his books that goes like this.
    He came across a racoon on the road that had been struck by a car and appeared to be fatally injured and in pain. He thought that he should end it's suffering, but was afraid to do it and drove away.
    In his view he had broken the precept against killing at that time. He had killed the compassion he had felt for the animal, due to his fear and allowed it's suffering to continue when he had the opportunity to end it.
    edited March 2012

I think where some are having a problem with this is that either you take each Precept at face value, or you don't. And if some lying is okay, then so is some taking life.

Yes, I also think the difficulty lies in the fact that it entirely depends on the individual circumstances. Would killing someone who is trying to kill you break the precept against killing, when you have no other choice except to die? I don't think so. I personally think it depends entirely on the individual and specific circumstances, which make it difficult to generalize such things.

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    no precept is broken because no bad karma is being made from it.
    This isn't the way the precepts are generally understood. If it were, there would be no need for the "higher good" principle to be articulated. There wouldn't be Secondary Bodhisattva Vows that explain the circumstances under which it's ok to break the precepts. It's an interesting position, though. I wonder why this hasn't come up before, on our many threads on the nature of the precepts.

This isn't the way the precepts are generally understood. If it were, there would be no need for the "higher good" principle to be articulated. There wouldn't be Secondary Bodhisattva Vows that explain the circumstances under which it's ok to break the precepts. It's an interesting position, though. I wonder why this hasn't come up before, on our many threads on the nature of the precepts.

I think Seeker may have hit upon something that would clarify quite a few of the "discussions" we have on here.

edited March 2012

It's the way they're understood by me. I don't need someone to tell me that lying to a Nazi, to save someones life, isn't breaking any precepts. And if some "master" came and told me that it was, I would tell him he doesn't know what he's talking about. :) Of course the Nazi example is a very extreme one, but that's just to illustrate the point. But I would agree that once someone personally knows what is good or not good to do, then yes, they don't need that to be articulated to them, because they already know right and wrong via their own intuition.

It's the way they're understood by me. I don't need someone to tell me that lying to a Nazi, to save someones life, isn't breaking any precepts. And if some "master" came and told me that it was, I would tell him he doesn't know what he's talking about. :) Of course the Nazi example is a very extreme one, but that's just to illustrate the point. But I would agree that once someone personally knows what is good or not good to do, then yes, they don't need that to be articulated to them, because they already know right and wrong.
    I quite agree with this.

Conceptually, there is a problem, however, in that there are some pretty weird people out there who have no real concept of right and wrong...for example, those who are amoral.

It's the way they're understood by me. I don't need someone to tell me that lying to a Nazi, to save someones life, isn't breaking any precepts. And if some "master" came and told me that it was, I would tell him he doesn't know what he's talking about. :) Of course the Nazi example is a very extreme one, but that's just to illustrate the point. But I would agree that once someone personally knows what is good or not good to do, then yes, they don't need that to be articulated to them, because they already know right and wrong.
    I quite agree with this.

Conceptually, there is a problem, however, in that there are some pretty weird people out there who have no real concept of right and wrong...for example, those who are amoral.

Yes I think so too and that is why I think personal interaction with a teacher is quite important. Because if a teacher sees this, he will point out your misunderstanding and make you aware of the fact that you don't know what your doing, haha!. :)

I quite agree with this.

Yes I think so too and that is why I think personal interaction with a teacher is quite important. Because if a teacher sees this, he will point out your misunderstanding and make you aware of the fact that you don't know what your doing, haha!. :)

True, although I guess I was expanding too far and thinking of the type of person who wouldn't go to a teacher. For example, I have known of foreigners in Thailand who can explain why it's perfectly alright to have sex with a minor or pay poor prostitutes $2 for their services...and they think they are doing these people a favor.

But I guess I am trying to codify our conceptualizing. :screwy:
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    edited March 2012
    Some of you might remember that I actually lie every day at work because I don't want to come out of the closet. We've discussed this in detail on this board before and I do have numerous reasons (from not wanting to lose my job because of my uber-christian boss to being too tired to deal with the assumptions/jokes/demands/questions that come with being a lesbian surrounded by straight men). I have no illusions that it's 'for the greater good' or anything though. It is for convenience to me. *shrugs* It does cause more issues for me... I can't become true friends with anyone I meet from work. I sometimes see customers out with my girlfriend and have a little panic. One lie sometimes feeds more lies. But at the same time, I don't want to lose my job... I don't want to have female clients feel uncomfortable with me... And I feel like if I had to deal with the harassment that accompanies it day in and day out, I might break even more precepts... lol. It's a conscious decision and I look forward to the day that I no longer have this job and the self-imposed burden that goes along with it.
    Some of you might remember that I actually lie every day at work because I don't want to come out of the closet. We've discussed this in detail on this board before and I do have numerous reasons (from not wanting to lose my job because of my uber-christian boss to being too tired to deal with the assumptions/jokes/demands/questions that come with being a lesbian surrounded by straight men). I have no illusions that it's 'for the greater good' or anything though. It is for convenience to me. *shrugs* It does cause more issues for me... I can't become true friends with anyone I meet from work. I sometimes see customers out with my girlfriend and have a little panic. One lie sometimes feeds more lies. But at the same time, I don't want to lose my job... I don't want to have female clients feel uncomfortable with me... And I feel like if I had to deal with the harassment that accompanies it day in and day out, I might break even more precepts... lol. It's a conscious decision and I look forward to the day that I no longer have this job and the self-imposed burden that goes along with it.
    I have a feeling you are over-worrying. First, why do people at work have to know about your sexuality? I was gay and a school teacher and principal for 33 years. I know some people guessed or suspected, and the very few that knew were either gay themselves or especially close friends.

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited March 2012
    The Nazi example is the classic one used to illustrate the "greater good" principle. Lying to a Nazi to save someone's life is still lying. It's breaking a precept to serve a higher good, it's the Bodhisattva principle. This is what the concept of "crazy wisdom" is based on, but taken to an extreme. This principle, in the hands of people whose ethical formation is lacking, can cause real havoc.
    It's the way they're understood by me.
    This is the key statement, here. But I see what you mean--you're drawing a distinction between breaking the precepts for purely selfish reasons, and "bending" them for altruistic reasons. Maybe the OP title should say, "Have You Ever Bent a Precept to Serve a Higher Good"?

I have a feeling you are over-worrying. First, why do people at work have to know about your sexuality? I was gay and a school teacher and principal for 33 years. I know some people guessed or suspected, and the very few that knew were either gay themselves or especially close friends.
    I wish. The answer is, because I get hit on every night and it's impossible to skirt the issue. Do I say I am single and deny my relationship? Do I simply say, "No, I don't have a boyfriend." and then have to deal with the uncomfortable let down that now seems like a personal judgment passed on the guy hitting on me? SOMETIMES people have even done one of those, "Do you have a boyfriend...or a girlfriend?" Hah. There's no way to get around that issue. No, it would be impossible. I just say that I have a boyfriend instead of a girlfriend. This way, I am not saying I am single (which seems more disrespectful to my partner), and they mostly leave me alone because they see me as attached.
    But seriously, this is the first time I've even been in the closet with a job and it pretty much sucks... but it is of my own design and after weighing the pros and cons, I still stand by my decision. At least for the time being. If I saw this as a "forever" type job, I would probably feel differently.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    You work in an unusual environment. In most massage environments, questions like that, and hitting on the therapist, would be unacceptable. How sad, to have to put up with that. You could respond, mysteriously, "I'm in a relationship", but that would probably only provoke further questions.
    You work in an unusual environment. In most massage environments, questions like that, and hitting on the therapist, would be unacceptable. How sad, to have to put up with that. You could respond, mysteriously, "I'm in a relationship", but that would probably only provoke further questions.
    It does sometimes. And yes, this is an unusual situation. Even if I was working in a busier environment, like Vegas for example, it wouldn't be much of an issue... but because the locations I work are dealing with smaller groups of very wealthy individuals... part of the job is being personable and getting to know people is the way to do that. I have no problem getting to know people, being nice, I just want them to know that I am unavailable in that way and unfortunately, saying that I am a lesbian or saying that I am single... pretty much has the same effect. I am so tired of hearing, "But you don't LOOK like a lesbian!" and because I don't, this is pretty much a preemptive strike in many guy's books. If I was butch, I probably wouldn't have this problem... but, I probably wouldn't be busy either... lol.
    How about just saying, "I'm taken"?
    The Nazi example is the classic one used to illustrate the "greater good" principle. Lying to a Nazi to save someone's life is still lying. It's breaking a precept to serve a higher good, it's the Bodhisattva principle. This is what the concept of "crazy wisdom" is based on, but taken to an extreme. This principle, in the hands of people whose ethical formation is lacking, can cause real havoc.
    It's the way they're understood by me.
    This is the key statement, here. But I see what you mean--you're drawing a distinction between breaking the precepts for purely selfish reasons, and "bending" them for altruistic reasons. Maybe the OP title should say, "Have You Ever Bent a Precept to Serve a Higher Good"?

Yes, but I would not even consider that example to be "bending" them either, in that particular situation, because by telling the truth, you would essentially be breaking the precept of not killing. You would be giving the person a death sentence. In a situation like this, I think the precept of lying becomes completely irrelevant. Just my view. :)

This principle, in the hands of people whose ethical formation is lacking, can cause real havoc.
    Yes it can and that probably happens every day, ten of thousands of times, if not more. :) In other words, it already is causing real havoc but that's just the human condition I guess.

• Okay, I thought presepts where guidelines not laws...so how can guidelines be broken?
    Okay, I thought presepts where guidelines not laws...so how can guidelines be broken?
    I think it's more a person by person definition.