Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Would you mind sharing some quotes from Buddha?

Buddha says, 'All that we are is the result of what we have thought. The mind is everything. What we think we become." Would you mind sharing some other quotes from Buddha that would polish the mind?

Comments

• BhanteLuckyBhanteLucky Alternative lifestyle person in the South Island of New Zealand New Zealand Veteran
    edited November 2012
    Here is a different translation of the same verse... Interesting eh.

"Mind precedes all mental states. Mind is their chief; they are all mind-wrought. If with an impure mind a person speaks or acts, suffering follows him like the wheel that follows the foot of the ox."
    RebeccaSzombiegirl
  • Work out your own salvation. Don't rely on others.
    - The Buddha
  • Buddha Twirls a Flower
    When Buddha was in Grdhrakuta mountain he turned a flower in his fingers and held it before his listeners. Every one was silent. Only Maha-Kashapa smiled at this revelation, although he tried to control the lines of his face.

Buddha said: "I have the eye of the true teaching, the heart of Nirvana, the true aspect of non-form, and the ineffable stride of Dharma. It is not expressed by words, but especially transmitted beyond teaching. This teaching I have given to Maha-Kashapa."
    http://www.sacred-texts.com/bud/glg/glg06.htm
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    footiam said:

Buddha says, 'All that we are is the result of what we have thought. The mind is everything. What we think we become." Would you mind sharing some other quotes from Buddha that would polish the mind?

"Mind precedes all mental states. Mind is their chief; they are all mind-wrought. If with an impure mind a person speaks or acts, suffering follows him like the wheel that follows the foot of the ox."

I think this demonstrates two things, admirably:
    One, not all 'sayings from the Buddha' have been accurately translated or interpreted, and in this specific case, it is agreed by many scholars that the latter from @JamestheGiant is closer to the true version, than the one offered by @footiam.

So two things are required: seek more than one translation and study its reliability, authenticity and accuracy.

Two, realise that 'quotations from the Buddha' may be nothing of the kind.....

footiamlobster
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    This is from the Maha-parinibbana Sutta:

"Who gives, his virtues shall increase;
    Who is self-curbed, no hatred bears;
    Who is skilled in virtue, evil shuns,
    And by the rooting out of lust and hate
    And all delusion, comes to be at peace."
  • "Then, Bāhiya, you should train yourself thus: In reference to the seen, there will be only the seen. In reference to the heard, only the heard. In reference to the sensed, only the sensed. In reference to the cognized, only the cognized. That is how you should train yourself. When for you there will be only the seen in reference to the seen, only the heard in reference to the heard, only the sensed in reference to the sensed, only the cognized in reference to the cognized, then, Bāhiya, there is no you in connection with that. When there is no you in connection with that, there is no you there. When there is no you there, you are neither here nor yonder nor between the two. This, just this, is the end of stress."[2]

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/kn/ud/ud.1.10.than.html
    zenff
  • BhanteLuckyBhanteLucky Alternative lifestyle person in the South Island of New Zealand New Zealand Veteran
    I really like this one. It's not poetic, but nice.
    "Admirable friendship, admirable companionship, admirable camaraderie is actually the whole of the holy life. When a monk has admirable people as friends, companions, & comrades, he can be expected to develop & pursue the noble eightfold path."
    Dandelion
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    "From inappropriate attention you're being chewed by your thoughts. Relinquishing what's inappropriate, contemplate appropriately. Keeping your mind on the Teacher, the Dhamma, the Sangha, your virtues, you will arrive at joy, rapture, pleasure without doubt. Then, saturated with joy, you will put an end to suffering & stress."
    seeker242 said:

"...you're being chewed by your thoughts.
    Wow great horrible quote! So true too, I am being chewed my my thoughts! Chewed and mangled and spat out.
    karasti
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited November 2012
    *MODERATOR NOTE*

When contributing quotations, it would be useful please, to also give a link or reference to the source, within your post. Many thanks.
  • The purpose of the Holy Life (Buddhist Path) does not consist in aquiring alms, honours or fame, nor in gaining morality, concentration, or the eye of knowledge. That unshakeable deliverance of the heart, that , indeed is the object of the Holy Life. That is it's essence. That is it's goal.
    ~Shakyamuni Buddha
    From my course reflection cards, but you can also find it here http://www.world-mysteries.com/awr_6_2.htm
  • Wow. Where to start!

I have an app on my Chrome search engine called Buddha Quotes which sends me a new one every day. Here's a couple of faves...

“There are only two mistakes one can make along the road to truth; not going all the way, and not starting.”

“Chaos is inherent in all compounded things. Strive on with diligence.”

“When you realize how perfect everything is you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky.”

“Chaos is inherent in all compounded things. Strive on with diligence.”

The Buddha's last words?
  • footiamfootiam Veteran
    edited December 2012
    federica said:

footiam said:

I think this demonstrates two things, admirably:
    One, not all 'sayings from the Buddha' have been accurately translated or interpreted, and in this specific case, it is agreed by many scholars that the latter from @JamestheGiant is closer to the true version, than the one offered by @footiam.

So two things are required: seek more than one translation and study its reliability, authenticity and accuracy.

Two, realise that 'quotations from the Buddha' may be nothing of the kind.....

That there are fake quotes could mean the beginning of the dark ages!

And here's another quote from Buddha: Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense"
    edited December 2012
    footiam said:

And here's another quote from Buddha: Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense"

Uh, sorry to disappoint you, but the Buddha didn't say that either. He kinda did, but there's more to it...
    This is a better translation of the verse your quote is loosely based on:
    ...don't go by reports, by legends, by traditions, by scripture, by logical conjecture, by inference, by analogies, by agreement through pondering views, by probability, or by the thought, "this contemplative is our teacher."
    When you know for yourselves that, 'These qualities are skilful; these qualities are blameless; these qualities are praised by the wise; these qualities, when adopted & carried out, lead to welfare & to happiness' — then you should enter & remain in them.
    It's interesting that he even rules out Logical Conjecture as excellent grounds for believing in something. Which kinda bums me out, because I like logic.
    taiyaki
  • @JamestheGiant

Thanks for sharing that quote. It is must more specific and pragmatic than the impressionist interpretation that is floating around the internet.
    edited December 2012
    Cheers @taiyaki. It's also interesting to wonder what the Buddha REALLY said, because his words were passed down orally for over 300 years before the monks got around to writing it down.

@footiam, sorry, I don't want to seem like I'm picking on you. You just happened to choose two quotes I know really well!
  • lillymac61lillymac61 Explorer
    edited December 2012

Cheers @taiyaki. It's also interesting to wonder what the Buddha REALLY said, because his words were passed down orally for over 300 years before the monks got around to writing it down.

It IS interesting given that oral tradition. Makes me think about the game of Chinese Whispers or Telephone. Maybe not fake quotes but a devolution toward the pithy... something bewildered minds could comprehend more easily.

Cheers @taiyaki. It's also interesting to wonder what the Buddha REALLY said, because his words were passed down orally

But it was a formalised oral tradition with groups of monks checking each other for accuracy - so it would have been a quite reliable record.
  • I don't quote the Buddha. Better to find your own quotes than borrow someone else's.
  • footiam said:

Uh, sorry to disappoint you, but the Buddha didn't say that either. He kinda did, but there's more to it...
    Buddha did not said that: I did! And this thread is supposed to be where Buddha's quote is shared!

This is a quote from Buddha:You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger. http://www.buddhist-tourism.com/buddhism/buddha-quotes.html
    footiam said:

footiam said:

Buddha did not said that: I did! And this thread is supposed to be where Buddha's quote is shared!

This is a quote from Buddha:You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger. http://www.buddhist-tourism.com/buddhism/buddha-quotes.html
    This site is a series of writings based on some scriptures or portions of suttas then interpreted by others, and written in such a way as to make them more palatable to the ear, and although they are actually not directly from the buddha they sound nice.
    But that's a bit long for a thread title, I guess.

:D
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    edited December 2012
    "He abused me, he beat me, he defeated me, he robbed me,"-in those who harbour such thoughts hatred will never cease.
    "He abused me, he beat me, he defeated me, he robbed me,"-in those who do not harbour such thoughts hatred will cease.
    For hatred does not cease by hatred at any time: hatred ceases by love, this is an old rule.

If a traveller does not meet with one who is his better, or his equal, let him firmly keep to his solitary journey; there is no companionship with a fool.

They who imagine truth in untruth, and see untruth in truth, never arrive at truth, but follow vain desires.
    RebeccaS
  • poptart said:

I don't quote the Buddha. Better to find your own quotes than borrow someone else's.

It does pay to borrow someone else's quote. You get to learn something new without going through the hassle.

That applies to your quotes too but they will have to be in a thread of their own.

And here's a quote of Buddha for your contemplation:

"Find out for yourself what is truth, what is real. Discover that there are virtuous things and there are non-virtuous things. Once you have discovered for yourself give up the bad and embrace the good."

- The Buddha

• “When you realize how perfect everything is you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky.”

Did not sound right
    http://www.fakebuddhaquotes.com/fake-buddha-quote-197/

. . . however the sentiment is correct and therefore from enlightened Buddha Mind . . .

Since everything is but an illusion,
    Perfect in being what it is,
    Having nothing to do with good or bad,
    Acceptance or rejection,
    One might as well burst out laughing!

from chapter 1 of The Great Perfection’s Self-Liberation in the Nature of Mind, by Longchenpa (1308-1364)

When did the Buddha get so solemn?
    or to put it in contemporary terms
    'why so serious?' The Joker
  • @lobster, excellent site, I like the masthead a lot, made me trow my head back and laugh :lol: My quote comes from the obviously dodgy The Daily Buddha. Thanks for passing it on :)
  • footiam said:

poptart said:

I don't quote the Buddha. Better to find your own quotes than borrow someone else's.

It does pay to borrow someone else's quote. You get to learn something new without going through the hassle.
    No you don't. You learn from your experience, not from someone else's. If their conclusions match yours then fair enough, but bumper sticker morality never made anyone a better person.
    footiam said:

"Find out for yourself what is truth, what is real. Discover that there are virtuous things and there are non-virtuous things. Once you have discovered for yourself give up the bad and embrace the good."

- The Buddha

There, he said it himself. In other words, don't quote me, figure it out for yourself.
  • karasti said:

"He abused me, he beat me, he defeated me, he robbed me,"-in those who harbour such thoughts hatred will never cease.
    "He abused me, he beat me, he defeated me, he robbed me,"-in those whpo do not harbour such thoughts hatred will cease.
    For hatred does not cease by hatred at any time: hatred ceases by love, this is an old rule.

Nice quote, but so hard to do this. When one is wronged, one wants revenge. One feels a murderous rage, and love seems so far away.
    There is a big difference between experiencing thoughts and dwelling in them and acting on them. When you practice, as always, it gets easier. Not to mention the ways in which so many people today feel "wronged" are quite silly. Someone posts their political opinion online and someone else gets their panties in a bunch about it, feeling all rejected and denied and then they respond in hatred. If you can't even practice patience and restraint when posting online you certainly won't be able to do it if someone robs you. It IS possible to experience horrible tragedy and not want revenge. People do it all the time.
    lobster
  • When you get more used to unwanted changes it hurts less to have something of yours (idea even) destroyed. So you just have a clarity of change happening and you accept it rather than throw a fit.
    lobster
  • karasti said:

There is a big difference between experiencing thoughts and dwelling in them and acting on them. When you practice, as always, it gets easier. Not to mention the ways in which so many people today feel "wronged" are quite silly. Someone posts their political opinion online and someone else gets their panties in a bunch about it, feeling all rejected and denied and then they respond in hatred. If you can't even practice patience and restraint when posting online you certainly won't be able to do it if someone robs you. It IS possible to experience horrible tragedy and not want revenge. People do it all the time.

I was talking about real life, like the person who lost her dog. They could feel wronged and want revenge. I don't see how hate could be avoided in such cases.
    My last 2 sentences, I was referring to real life, too. As far as the internet goes, it was just a general observation that people cannot expect to be able to have peace in real life if they can't even have it online. There are people who have family members murdered, have horrible accidents that are caused by others, etc and they choose peace and forgiveness rather than hatred and revenge. There is a difference in understanding the true nature of all people and condoning their terrible acts. Holding on to hate and anger over something terrible that happens is a choice. A person will have those feelings, but identifying them and feeling them and then letting them go is a better practice and a better choice than holding onto them and letting them fester into something that'll eventually cause mental infection the same way a splinter will cause a skin infection. Hate is a choice. So is forgiveness. And either are possible in any situation that there is. Some much more difficult than others. And as far as the quote from Buddha, just because it is a goal doesn't mean that you can feel and practice it immediately upon reading it. You have to work towards it.
  • Develop the mind of equilibrium.
    You will always be getting praise and blame,
    but do not let either affect the poise of the mind:
    follow the calmness, the absence of pride.
    Sutta Nipata
    lobsterBhanteLuckylillymac61
  • zenff said:

Buddha Twirls a Flower

When Buddha was in Grdhrakuta mountain he turned a flower in his fingers and held it before his listeners. Every one was silent. Only Maha-Kashapa smiled at this revelation, although he tried to control the lines of his face.

Buddha said: "I have the eye of the true teaching, the heart of Nirvana, the true aspect of non-form, and the ineffable stride of Dharma. It is not expressed by words, but especially transmitted beyond teaching. This teaching I have given to Maha-Kashapa."
    http://www.sacred-texts.com/bud/glg/glg06.htm
    This is a one quote that I can't understand. Then I am not Maha-Kashapa.
    I prefer the usual one like: The tongue like a sharp knife... Kills without drawing blood.
    http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/b/buddha.html
    music said:

When one is wronged, one wants revenge. One feels a murderous rage, and love seems so far away.

I can't seem to get beyond mild irritation these days. :p
    RebeccaSlobster
  • music said:

karasti said:

I was talking about real life, like the person who lost her dog. They could feel wronged and want revenge. I don't see how hate could be avoided in such cases.
    It probably can't be avoided, but it does go away.

There was a woman who was experimented on with her twin by Mengele, and she forgave him, and all the Nazis. There's a movie about her.

There are people who fought on opposite sides of wars and became great friends through forgiveness.

There was a woman whose son was murdered, and she forgave his killer.

If forgiveness is possible in these extreme situations, it's possible anywhere.
    poptart
  • poptart said:

footiam said:

poptart said:

No you don't. You learn from your experience, not from someone else's. If their conclusions match yours then fair enough, but bumper sticker morality never made anyone a better person.
    footiam said:

- The Buddha

There, he said it himself. In other words, don't quote me, figure it out for yourself.
    You don't. I do. From someone's else quote, you get to have a lead to discovering what is true or false. That's why I suppose we learn Science in schools and go on to become a scientist.

And this probably is another quote from Buddha:

Judgements prevent us from seeing the good that lies beyond appearances.

http://tinybuddha.com/wisdom-category/judgment-2/
    edited December 2012
    footiam said:

And this probably is another quote from Buddha:

Judgements prevent us from seeing the good that lies beyond appearances.
    http://tinybuddha.com/wisdom-category/judgment-2/

I swear I'm not doing this deliberately! But that's not the Buddha, that's a quote from Wayne Dyer, the New Age self-help author. It even says so on that link you gave. ( I liked how you said Probably ;)
  • Thanks JamestheGiant.

There is truth in a non-Buddha quote then. Don't worry too much about what have been done and undone.

Let's just have fun with the quotes. Here's one from the Net:

Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned.

http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/tag/buddha
    @Footiam , oh, okay, so it's not a topic about sharing quotes from the Buddha anymore. That's ok then, I'm clear on that now.
  • @Footiam , oh, okay, so it's not a topic about sharing quotes from the Buddha anymore. That's ok then, I'm clear on that now.

It is still and always has been a topic about sharing quotes from Buddha just like it is always and has always been about Dharma.
    And here's one more quote:

Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared."
    http://quotationsbook.com/quotes/author/1113/
  • footiamfootiam Veteran
    “The secret of health for both mind and body is not to mourn for the past, nor to worry about the future, but to live the present moment wisely and earnestly.”
    ― Gautama Buddha
    edited June 2013
    We have to differentiate between what is 'documented' as having been said by the Buddha, (direct link to sutta and/or teaching) and what has been transformed, re-jigged, and re-phrased to either sound like something he would have said, or is basically a 'sound-byte' and interpretation using modern form, of what he said (direct link to website/source).

Thank you.

riverflow
  • FlorianFlorian Veteran
    edited June 2013
    @JamestheGiant writes - "It's interesting that he even rules out Logical Conjecture as excellent grounds for believing in something. Which kinda bums me out, because I like logic."

Yes, me too. I think it is easy to read more into the Buddha's words on this than is necessary. Although logic can tell us nothing for sure about reality, as Aristotle noted, it remains an excellent method for refuting false views, as Nagarjuna shows. So us analytical thinkers can go on liking logic. It's not as if Buddhist doctrine contradicts logic, just that we have to concede that we cannot build a tower of reasoning all the way to Heaven. This is presumably what the story of Babel is about.

HHDL writes, 'Anything that contradicts logic and experience should be abandoned'. So logic is important. He also says, 'Without contradiction there is no progress'.

Just sticking up for logic.

riverflowkarmablues
  • karmablueskarmablues Veteran
    edited June 2013
    For ease of reference, I'll re-quote what the Buddha said in the Kalama Sutta:
    "So, as I said, Kalamas: 'Don't go by reports, by legends, by traditions, by scripture, by logical conjecture, by inference, by analogies, by agreement through pondering views, by probability, or by the thought, "This contemplative is our teacher." When you know for yourselves that, "These qualities are unskillful; these qualities are blameworthy; these qualities are criticized by the wise; these qualities, when adopted & carried out, lead to harm & to suffering" — then you should abandon them.' Thus was it said. And in reference to this was it said.
    First we should remember that the issue that the Kalamas Sutta addresses is a specific one which is whether certain qualities such as greed, aversion and delusion should be abandoned or adopted.

In that context, I agree that the Buddha didn't say that logic was useless. In fact, the Buddha asked the Kalamas to "think" in the case of determining whether a quality was skillful or unskillful, blameworthy or blameless and this would include using logic to determine that if one wishes to.
    "So what do you think, Kalamas: Are these qualities skillful or unskillful?"

"Unskillful, lord."

"Blameworthy or blameless?"

"Blameworthy, lord."

Therefore, what HHDL writes, ie. "Anything that contradicts logic and experience should be abandoned", is entirely consistent with what the Buddha said in the Kalama Sutta. At the same time, I think the Kalama Sutta does add to what HDDL wrote by saying that, "However, if something contradicts logic but not experience, we should rely on experience rather than logic when such experience also corresponds to what the wise have to say." Also, even in the case where something contradicts both logic and experience, the Buddhas does seeom to imply that we should nonetheless consider what the wise have to say. But remember, the Buddha said all of this in the context of determining whether certain qualities should be adopted or abandoned, so all of his advice given in the Kalama Sutta does not necessarily apply to other subject matters.
  • In context of the Kalama Sutta, regarding logic, the Buddha basically gets at what Dostoevsky wrote: "2+2=4 is not life, gentlemen..." In other words, life cannot be LIVED by syllogisms alone. They may function as handy tools, but without lived experience, deductive logic possesses little value-- in fact, it can get you into quite a lot of trouble if you aren't careful!

I find it not uncommon that fundamentalists (religious, political or otherwise) tend to do this. Ideologically wedded to syllogistic thinking, they can't engage in that messy, complicated life stuff before them-- they attempt to reduce life to a hermetically sealed formula to simply followed.

Jeffrey
  • riverflowriverflow Veteran
    edited June 2013
    In other words, the Buddha keeps coming back again and again, relentlessly to put that response-ability back onto oneself. No one else can do it for you. Not even logic.
  • FlorianFlorian Veteran
    edited June 2013

Therefore, what HHDL writes, ie. "Anything that contradicts logic and experience should be abandoned", is entirely consistent with what the Buddha said in the Kalama Sutta. At the same time, I think the Kalama Sutta does add to what HDDL wrote by saying that, "However, if something contradicts logic but not experience, we should rely on experience rather than logic when such experience also corresponds to what the wise have to say." Also, even in the case where something contradicts both logic and experience, the Buddhas does seeom to imply that we should nonetheless consider what the wise have to say. But remember, the Buddha said all of this in the context of determining whether certain qualities should be adopted or abandoned, so all of his advice given in the Kalama Sutta does not necessarily apply to other subject matters.

Good points @karmablues. Experience trumps logic. Still, I do not believe that experience could ever contradict logic in more than appearance, or vice versa. I'm a great believer in the reasonableness of the universe. It seems to me that an ideal reasoner would be bound to conclude that the Buddha's doctrine is true, including what is said about logic and experience.

I know what you mean @riverflow, but I would violently, er, sorry, I mean politely disagree with you about fundamentalist idealogues who stick to syllogistic thinking. This is usually exactly what they refuse to do. It is by refusing to think logically that they protect their ideologies. It's a rampant practice in science and philosophy, never mind down the pub.
  • BlondelBlondel Veteran
    “Zen practice is to realize yourself. Everybody who wants to practice Zen has to realize himself and realize Buddha. This is Zen.” -- Joshu Sasaki Roshi, Zen Notes