Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

How enlightened are you?

lobsterlobster Veteran
edited April 2013 in General Banter

IF....
If you can live without caffeine,

If you can be cheerful, ignoring aches and pains,

If you can resist complaining,

If you can understand when your loved ones are too busy to give you any time,

If you can take criticism and blame without resentment,

If you can ignore a friend's limited education and never correct him or her,

If you can resist treating a rich friend better than a poor friend,

If you can face the world without lies and deceit,

If you can conquer tension without medical help,

If you can relax without liquor,

If you can sleep without the aid of drugs,

If you can honestly say that deep in your heart you have no prejudice against creed, color, religion, gender preference, or politics,

--Then you have almost reached the same level of spiritual development as your dog!

-----
http://www.enlightened-spirituality.org/Spiritual_Humor.html

Probably heard that before?
What is your favourite joke? What makes you laugh? Are you a Clown Buddha, laughing Buddha?
howLejonInvincible_summerToshpegembarariverflowLucy_Begoodpersonmisecmisc1karastiVastmindNadjapoptartLee82nenkohainlighten

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Far more than I thought I was,
    Less than I would like.

As a Dog Behaviourist, I obviously mix closely with the right company.
    Lucy_BegoodMaryAnneInvincible_summer
  • My dogs are both bigots. One hates greyhounds and the other will not tolerate small white dogs. So . . . not very enlightened. :nyah:
    lobsternenkohaiVastmindStraight_Man
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    @genkaku
    Thank u
  • edited April 2013
    @genkaku- when I was in college, I went to the grocery store with my scruffy, hippy buddy. He was buying a flea collar for his dog, and the slight, almost imperceptible smile that crossed the clerk's face when she rang up the collar told us exactly what was going through her mind. As my buddy was getting some bills out of his wallet, he paused and gave the side of his head just behind his ear a good "dog scratching". Still makes me smile to this day.
    Lucy_BegoodInvincible_summerMaryAnne
  • CheChe Veteran
    I walked into a Govinda's (Hare vege restaurant) smiled at the teenage girl serving me and said "Make me one with everything"
    She gave me a strange look and said "Excuse me?"
    I giggled and said "A vege burger and a mango lassi please"
    lobsterMaryAnnepersonLucy_Begood
  • yildunyildun Explorer
    Elephant and a fly go to bed together
    Fly wakes up the next morning Nudges the elephantThe elephant is Dead!

The Fly thinks ..................... One night of Passion
    and you spent the rest of your life digging a grave

slainte
    MaryAnneVastmindLucy_Begood
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited April 2013
    The dudes at Govinda's got me back Lobster.

They is as naughty as you . . .
    OK . . . Talking of food . . . you have probably hear this story from me before but it my favourite . . . from Mark Epstein . . .

Some friends of mine had arranged for an encounter between two prominent visiting Buddhist teachers at the house of a Harvard University psychology professor. These were teachers from two distinctly different Buddhist traditions who had never met and whose traditions had in fact had very little contact over the past thousand years. Before the worlds of Buddhism and Western psychology could come together, the various strands of Buddhism would have to encounter one another. We were to witness the first such dialogue.

The teachers, seventy-year-old Kalu Rinpoche of Tibet, a veteran of years of solitary retreat, and the Zen master Seung Sahn, the first Korean Zen master to teach in the United States, were to test each other's understanding of the Buddha's teachings for the benefit of the onlooking Western students. This was to be a high form of what was being called _dharma_ combat (the clashing of great minds sharpened by years of study and meditation), and we were waiting with all the anticipation that such a historic encounter deserved. The two monks entered with swirling robes -- maroon and yellow for the Tibetan, austere grey and black for the Korean -- and were followed by retinues of younger monks and translators with shaven heads. They settled onto cushions in the familiar cross-legged positions, and the host made it clear that the younger Zen master was to begin. The Tibetan lama sat very still, fingering a wooden rosary (_mala_) with one hand while murmuring, _"Om mani padme hum"_ continuously under his breath.

The Zen master, who was already gaining renown for his method of hurling questions at his students until they were forced to admit their ignorance and then bellowing, "Keep that don't know mind!" at them, reached deep inside his robes and drew out an orange. "What is this?" he demanded of the lama. "What is this?" This was a typical opening question, and we could feel him ready to pounce on whatever response he was given.

The Tibetan sat quietly fingering his mala and made no move to respond.

"What is this?" the Zen master insisted, holding the orange up to the Tibetan's nose.

Kalu Rinpoche bent very slowly to the Tibetan monk near to him who was serving as the translator, and they whispered back and forth for several minutes. Finally the translator addressed the room: "Rinpoche says, 'What is the matter with him? Don't they have oranges where he comes from?"

The dialog progressed no further.
    JeffreyToshzombiegirlLucy_Begood
  • Kind of like yours MaryAnne: http://kikipotamus.wordpress.com/tag/leonard-mlodinow/
    “Shared illusions” reminds me of what many Buddhists call “consensus reality.” In chapter four, entitled Let the World Speak for Itself, Chodron recounts the story “about Trungpa Rinpoche sitting in a garden with His Holiness Kilgo Khyentse Rinpoche. People were standing around at a distance close enough to hear but far enough away to give them privacy and space. It was a beautiful day. These two gentlemen had been sitting in the garden for a long time, just sitting there not saying anything. Time went on, and they just sat in the garden not saying anything and seeming to enjoy it very much. Then Trungpa Rinpoche broke the silence and began to laugh. He said to Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche, pointing across the lawn, ‘They call that a tree.’ Whereupon Khyentse Rinpoche started to laugh too.”
    Lucy_Begood