Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

your life - purpose, lessons learnt etc. please share.

misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a HinduIndia Veteran
edited May 2013 in Buddhism Basics
hi all,

as per you - what is the purpose of your life? what are the lessons you have learned in your life from your own life's experience?

just general questions. please share, if you wish to share.

as far as if i would have to tell about my life, then i would say - till now, my life has just been a routine life for me. from childhood till almost 23 years when i completed my masters degree in computer applications, it was just studying and attending classes. i am not good in any sport, so never played any sport on regular basis - i think till class 8, i was playing cricket in our colony during evening on almost daily, but after that from class 9 tutions started in evening and so that playing was also gone - moreover, since i was not good at any sports, so i was not even interested in playing much. when my masters degree got completed, in same year i got job and then my job started and from then, till now i am working as a software professional - again routine job, sitting nearly 10 hours on laptop, sometimes more. nearly 1.5 years back, i struck spirituality when i accidently read Bhagwad Geeta and then Buddha's teachings, so these days, studying about Buddha's teachings from different websites and trying to sit and trying to be in present moment. moreover, nearly 4 years back, i got married and now i have a daughter 2 years old.

so i had kind of boring life, as you could easily see from above. moreover, i think i am kind of boring person too, since i do not have much enthusiasm in doing any activities like shopping, travelling, adventure sports etc. also these days, i do not find even interest in watching movies.

as for what is the purpose of my life - my answer is - i don't know. may be i am too stupid to even know this basic thing about my life. but i do not know what is the purpose of my life. after coming into contact with Zen, i am trying to live in present moment, which i am not able to do, but still trying. moreover, i have left the ideas of what i want to become 5 years down the line, or 10 years down the line - may be i am just thinking like this, but when things like promotion come up later, i may again get entangled with pursuits of status, wealth, gain etc - but currently my job is going on steadily in a relaxed manner, so i am just trying to relax. i think enough of the crap about me.

now over to you all for the above questions. also i think we have some experienced aged people on here, so my question to them is - what do you think is really worth to do in life, if you look back at your years which are gone? will like to know genuine answers please, instead of what you think is worth to do in life - so no philosophizing about spirituality please, rather if you say spirituality, then practical aspects of spirituality from your life's experiences. thanks in advance.
karmablues

Comments

• BhanteLuckyBhanteLucky Alternative lifestyle person in the South Island of New Zealand New Zealand Veteran

- what do you think is really worth to do in life, if you look back at your years which are gone?.

I'm only 35, but when I look back on my life so far, the best/most worthwhile parts of it have been the moments when I've helped other people. Even just a little bit, like helping someone move a sofa.
    The most interesting parts have been the meditation experiences, (spiritual materialism yeehaa!) but that's not what you asked.
    misecmisc1karmablues
  • misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran
    edited May 2013
    @JamestheGiant: Thanks for your reply.

hi all,

please also tell your current age, if possible, or an approximate current age if you do not wish to tell your exact current age :)

as far as i am concerned, currently i am 32 years old.

also, if you want then you can also tell what things you have done in your life in past, which now you think it would have been better if you have not done that thing in your life.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2013
    @misecmisc1, Life begins in precisely the same way it ends:

With the breath.
    Life is one long breath: in (at the beginning) and out (at the end).

What happens in the middle, is up to us to live, with an easy, relaxed, and grateful breath.

So when stress occurs, breathe.......

I have no idea whether I have a purpose in life; all I know is that I gain the best experiences when I breathe easy, and enable those around me to do the same.

misecmisc1karmabluesInvincible_summer
  • I've been asking myself this very question for years. When I was younger, I foolishly thought I'd make some great impact on the world and somehow save it from all of the evils lurking out there. Now that I'm older, I realize how naive I was, and that I really have no other grand purpose other than to save the world from myself. So I think my life's purpose is just simply waking up every morning and trying to be the best person I can, and trying to make the best choices I can, so all sentient beings can benefit. I never get it perfect, but I keep trying. Sorry if that still wreaks of spouting off half-cocked philosophy and dancing around the question, but that's the only answer I have.

As for my age? I'm old enough to be tried as an adult for murder, but young enough to still think that music on the Top 40 charts isn't just 'noise.' :D (And, yes, I'm totally dancing around that question on purpose. :lol: )
    karmabluesJeffreyInvincible_summer

As for my age? I'm old enough to be tried as an adult for murder, but young enough to still think that music on the Top 40 charts isn't just 'noise.' :D (And, yes, I'm totally dancing around that question on purpose. :lol: )

@SillyPutty: i guess you are female - am i correct?
  • @misecmisc1 - last time I checked, yep! :lol:
  • FlorianFlorian Veteran
    edited May 2013

- what do you think is really worth to do in life, if you look back at your years which are gone?.

I'm only 35, but when I look back on my life so far, the best/most worthwhile parts of it have been the moments when I've helped other people. Even just a little bit, like helping someone move a sofa.
    The most interesting parts have been the meditation experiences, (spiritual materialism yeehaa!) but that's not what you asked.
    I'm only a lot older than this but the answer is the same. I've had a fascinating (to me) life and a very lucky one, all sorts of successes and failures, but still the answer comes down to this.

I'd say that the purpose of life is whatever you give it. So for me a better question than 'Does life have a purpose?' would be 'Can my life be given a purpose' or 'Can I live my life with purpose?', or 'What purpose should I give my life?'. etc.

But you can still ask 'Is there a purpose to giving my life a purpose'. I'd say that Buddhism answers this question.

• ZeroZero Veteran

what is the purpose of your life?

I have not found that a purpose is necessary to live.
    It's enough to just be alive.
    lobsterSillyPuttymisecmisc1pegembara
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    I have not found that a purpose is necessary to live.
    It's enough to just be alive.
    Well said @Zero.
    I also like @SillyPutty trying to save the world . . . from her . . .

The Sufis have a great saying that is worthy of non-zen porpoise that I aspire to:
    'Increase in Love'

Nihilism and Taoism going nowhere has no passion, no zest, no jest
    As I said to the Buddha only this morning: 'Don't just sit there, Do Nothing . . .'

Emptiness is Form
    Form is emptiness

So learn to dance . . . :clap:
    SillyPuttykarmablues
  • The meaning to life as I understand it within buddhism...

There is suffering
    There is an end to suffering

Choose
    misecmisc1karmabluesJohn_Spencer
    edited May 2013
    hi all,

thanks for your replies.

just to re-collect, the questions are:

as per you - what is the purpose of your life?
    what are the lessons you have learned in your life from your own life's experience?
    also, if you want then you can also tell what things you have done in your life in past, which now you think it would have been better if you have not done that thing in your life.
    Emptiness is Form
    Form is emptiness
    So learn to dance . .
    @lobster: can you please explain how from heart sutra, you are drawing the inference that it is better to act than sit? thanks in advance.
  • @misecmisc1 cool thread by the way
    edited May 2013
    kashi said:

@misecmisc1 cool thread by the way

@kashi: Thanks dude.
    kashi said:

The meaning to life as I understand it within buddhism...
    There is suffering
    There is an end to suffering
    Choose

Ok dude. But if you wish, then please also tell from your personal life experience, what you think is purpose of life, lessons learned, things done but better would not have done.
  • in short, just coming to buddhism I have found the meaning to my life. I think the purpose is happiness but not the worldly view such as "life is a party" but rather, how to get off the "awesome train"...off the wheel of samsara.

Lessons in life are too many to name, but the most important is that life is suffering. And what to do about it.

Ive done a lot of things I should not have. I used to steal all the time as a young teenager as an example.
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    what do you think is really worth to do in life
    @lobster: can you please explain how from heart sutra, you are drawing the inference that it is better to act than sit? thanks in advance.
    There is no difference between action and non action, when you are dancing to a different imperative.

Being bored or boring or being exciting and alive are empty.
    Being in the form and experience of Emptiness is the Heart of the Buddhist 'experience'.

There is no ignorance,
    and no end to ignorance.
    There is no old age and death,
    and no end to old age and death.
    There is no suffering, no cause of suffering,
    no end to suffering, no path to follow.
    There is no attainment of wisdom,
    and no wisdom to attain.

Heart Sutra

. . . so find what you love, have fun
    . . . and dance . . . even when sitting still . . .
  • To be the best person I can be for the ones I love. That has been my purpose in life well before I started seriously practicing Buddhism. In fact it was the desire to achieve this which lead me to study Buddhism more in depth and start meditating. And now, I know that I have to free myself from the grips of the three unwholesome roots (greed, anger and ignorance) as much as I can if I am to become the best person I can be for the ones I love. And with that purpose in my heart, I shall continue with the practice.
    lobsterSillyPuttymisecmisc1nenkohai
  • Wisdom23Wisdom23 Veteran
    edited May 2013
    Well i believe inheritantly life has no purpose unless we give it one and i like to live by what i call the PIMMS primcipal.( i made it up btw)

P stands for passion living each moment as fully and with as much enthusiasm as possible.

I stands for integrity

M by my own means. I feel i am a free agent and i am able to make my own choices based on my own reason and logic

M is for meaningful dedicating my energy to things that will out last my brief existance or will benefit others

S stands for simplicity because the world is too complicated as it is. Although s sometimes stands for sarcasm, i know i shouldnt but i love clever wit.

In my free time i try my best to read and research brain stimulating things not just mind numbing things. Oh yeah and i meditate.

Although my down days as i call em really do mess my efforts up.

I hope my small voice reaches you and you can take some thing from or atleast enjoy reading my comment.

Peace out dudes and dudettes
    SillyPuttymisecmisc1Kundo
  • Wisdom23 said:

the PIMMS primcipal.

M is for meaningful dedicating my energy to things that will out last my brief existance or will benefit others

Please change the second M to a P for purpose so it can be PIMPS. :vimp:
    Jeffrey
  • DaftChrisDaftChris Spiritually conflicted. Not of this world. Veteran
    edited May 2013
    I honestly do not have or know an answer.

But, then again, isn't uncertainly a part of life? ;)

BTW, I'm 22 and a college student, so I guess that can add to life's uncertainty?
    Invincible_summernenkohai
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited May 2013
    I think life is about discovering what is really true and reliable. And then from there you can help other beings. And the mind loves this. It's like the heart sutra "and all the tathagatas rejoiced." These Buddhas are like "oh they are really getting this teaching, how awesome."

In my life I have found that soulmates aren't the most important because you break up and then they're just someone you used to know.

Intelligence is also not reliable because I lost a lot of it with my illness. I couldn't find how to love myself once I was not pyschologically (confidence) and cogntively (delusions) able to continue my chemistry career.. It's like my identity had a hole shot in it.

36 years
    karmabluesnenkohai
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    edited May 2013
    Just a comment related to soulmates. I love my husband greatly. But he is not my "soul mate." However, I have a friend who I have always felt I've known throughout other lifetimes. We have been friends in this life literally since birth. He knows me to depths no one else does, not my mom, not my husband, sometimes not even myself. He is my best friend and every bit my brother as much as my blood sister is. I can't really explain how it feels, it's very different from any other relationship I've ever had.

I don't think a romantic notion of a soul mate exists, but I do think it's possible to reconnect in that way. I don't think everyone does it, I don't think because you love someone very much they are a soulmate. And while all of us probably have a soul mate somewhere on the planet, I think the chance of lives coming out so that you are together again in any way, is probably pretty rare.
    karmabluesnenkohaiKundo
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Yes soulmate is subject to interpretation. I meant the joy in being with somebody. Like I remember my ex gf her perfume and the apartment we lived in and it just makes my heart happy.
    karmablues
  • SilouanSilouan Veteran
    When I was three I thought the world revolved around me, but I'm forty five now and I have changed a bit.

I grew up in non-religious home but the heart of my mother's teaching was that her children treat others as they would want to be treated; aka The Golden Rule. This ideal has been rooted in my psyche, but there is still times to this day where that three year old comes out and plays.

However, I would say that my mother's teaching and my involvement with Buddhism, and now Christianity, has helped me put my experiences into a purposeful perspective, and from that I'm only just now beginning to see and starting to believe that my life purpose is a movement towards Personhood and what it truly means to be human being through self-emptying.
    lobstermisecmisc1nenkohai
  • nenkohainenkohai Veteran
    edited May 2013
    At 49 (or BY 49) I've learned only a couple things.

I'm an idiot and as such I often provide my own entertainment.

My life isn't all about me.

My "internal self-identified spiritualness" will not allow me to be a bringer of pain. This sounds high and mighty, I guess. Its not. Because I've brought pain. And the suffering I caused was unbearable for me to witness.

I love birds.

And green is my favorite color.

Lessons are in everything.
    Vastmindlobstermisecmisc1Kundo