Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Do you meditate every day?

rivercanerivercane Veteran
edited May 2013 in Meditation
Just wondering how many people here meditate every day or more than once a day? I wanted to set this up as a poll but didn't see that option.

For the past couple of years, I could only manage to meditate a few times a week. Then sometimes I would not meditate at all for weeks at a time. It's really been a struggle for me to learn to discipline myself enough to mediate. It's as if I wanted to do it, but had to force myself.

Now I seemed to have turned a corner around the start of the new year and I find it fairly easy to meditate every day. It's something I look forward to. So far this year, I've only skipped a few days and some days I will meditate two or three times throughout the day. I usually meditate for about 40 minutes in the evening but will sometimes go for an hour or longer. I find it is more difficult in the morning and usually I will only meditate for about 20 minutes in the morning and then maybe a quick 10 minutes around noon.

So far I can count the number of "deep" meditation experiences I've had on one hand, even after trying for a few years, but I've found that meditating every day has really helped me learn to settle my mind much quicker than when I first started to meditate. I've gotten used to letting go of thoughts as they arise whereas in the past my entire meditation session was spent dealing with trying to clear my mind of thoughts.
karmabluesperson

Comments

• BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    For me, for the last year or so, 40 minutes every morning and 20-ish before hitting the sack at night. I almost always look forward to my sittings now.
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    Not every day. Most of the time I do, but sometimes our scheduling interrupts it, or a kid gets up earlier than normal, or whatever. Sometimes I can manage to get away to the bedroom to sit for a while but meditating in my bed makes me sleepy. Morning is the time that works best for me. Sometimes I get some in before bedtime, too. I would say I probably meditate 6 out of 7 days, if you averaged it out.
  • I've fallen off the wagon lately-- whereas I had gotten into a good habit of doing it daily (every morning, for 15 minutes) and sometimes at night, now it is maybe three times a week (two 20 minute sessions at home, 30 minutes with the sangha; I do walking meditation also weekly at the local monastery--when I am able to go).

I often keep a mindfulness bell cycling every 15 minutes on my computer when I am at home, as a kind of "mental recalibration."

A couple years ago, I used to do zazen almost every day (usually 25 minutes) and it really was having quite an "effect" on me (in a positive way!).
    TheEccentric
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    edited May 2013
    Meditation, now rarely. Focused, mindful thinking, daily.
    TheEccentriclobster
  • karmablueskarmablues Veteran
    edited May 2013
    Mondays to Thursdays i get in about 1.5 -2 hrs of continuous formal meditation each day. Apart from that I just try to be mindful as much as I can in my daily activities.
  • MaryAnne said:

I have somewhat ... well... let's just say non-mainstream opinions when it comes to meditation. I've seen too many people cling desperately to how often, how long, how 'productively' they meditate... and then fail to incorporate the basic Buddhist principals into their everyday lives; making the meditation pretty pointless, IMO.

Could not agree more. I think it is analogous to people who go to the gym for 60 minutes a day and then eat excessive junk food for the rest of their day.

Currently meditating maybe 3x a week, just for 30 minutes each time (give or take - I don't count precisely). I think what @vinlyn said above is relevant to where I am now:
    vinlyn said:

Meditation, now rarely. Focused, mindful thinking, daily.

Kundo
    I enjoy meditation, it helps me set my day off on a good note. I exercise in the morning (after meditation) to set my body on the right track for the day, and I meditate to set my mind on the right track. However, I don't stress if I miss meditation. What would be the point to be annoyed that I missed it and then be crabby all day? Sometimes other things are more important, and that is ok. I do get a bit restless when I miss many weeks of meeting with my Sangha, but that is more so because being around like minded people is nice. They are friends, and I miss seeing them for weeks at a time but this time of year just is busy for all of us.
    riverflow
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Since November I have meditated 30 minutes each day, minimum. Nothing 'magical' has happened other than joy at being diligent and taking meditaiton seriously. Now I have a new policy that each 10 minutes of meditation 'buys' a pipe smoked. So three pipes each day (non-inhale) for the 30 minutes. If I want 6 pipes that day I have to do an hour. Boooyy this works because I love pipes. Now I am meditating even more than ever. You could use something else to buy like a square of dark chocolate.
    riverflowSabre
  • zenmystezenmyste Veteran
    I go for a run every morning very early, whilst the world is still asleep, quiet and very still. I run without music, and listen to my feet hitting the floor, my breath breathing heavy and try to be one with everything around me, buildings, houses, parks, lamp posts etc etc...

I then try to sit meditating for 'as long' as i can before bed! Again, very late so its very still and quiet , therefore i dont have any restrictions..

My meditations can last between 20 mins to 60 mins...

Im wanting to attend a silent retreat soon. I want to find one that concentrates on just meditation (and not necessarily 'buddhism' etc)
    Invincible_summer
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    I do a formal sit every morning. Sometimes spontaneous chanting will arise.

:om:
    KundoInvincible_summerpommesetoranges
  • @rivercane, well done on your regular practice and your facility in letting thoughts go!
  • TheEccentricTheEccentric Hampshire, UK Veteran
    Yup everyday, however I now realise meditation only has any long term benefit if you incorporate what you have practiced in mediation during the mediation break, I used to achieve mindfulness, compassion, metta, contemplation of emptiness, moral discipline etc during meditation then leave it there and forget it for the rest of the day, now I can take my happiness for a walk with me instead of simply leaving it on my zafu.
    lobsterrivercaneKundoInvincible_summer
  • fivebells said:

@rivercane, well done on your regular practice and your facility in letting thoughts go!

Thank you, I feel like I am making progress.

It's been really interesting to read the replies here. A lot of really good feedback!
  • As long as you are watching your mind you are doing satipatthana. This is something that one can do throughout the day.
    "And how does a monk remain focused on feelings in & of themselves? There is the case where a monk, when feeling a painful feeling, discerns, 'I am feeling a painful feeling.' When feeling a pleasant feeling, he discerns, 'I am feeling a pleasant feeling.' When feeling a neither-painful-nor-pleasant feeling, he discerns, 'I am feeling a neither-painful-nor-pleasant feeling.'

"And how does a monk remain focused on the mind in & of itself? There is the case where a monk, when the mind has passion, discerns that the mind has passion. When the mind is without passion, he discerns that the mind is without passion. When the mind has aversion, he discerns that the mind has aversion. When the mind is without aversion, he discerns that the mind is without aversion. When the mind has delusion, he discerns that the mind has delusion. When the mind is without delusion, he discerns that the mind is without delusion."

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.010.than.html
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    edited May 2013
    I used to sit everyday, twice a day for 25 mins each time, but now that I'm working I'm not as diligent as I should be. I try to sit for at least 25 mins whenever I can - maybe 3x a week?

Every morning I do a set of prostrations and some chanting though.
    MaryAnne said:

Since officially becoming a Buddhist (a few years ago), I honestly haven't felt the need nor desire to make meditation part of my 'practice'.

I have somewhat ... well... let's just say non-mainstream opinions when it comes to meditation. I've seen too many people cling desperately to how often, how long, how 'productively' they meditate... and then fail to incorporate the basic Buddhist principals into their everyday lives; making the meditation pretty pointless, IMO.

It's not called a meditation "practice" for nothing. The reason why people may be "cling[ing] desperately" to the efficacy of their meditation is because, like any other practice, they want to improve. That being said, there's a fine line between clinging to a perceived goal or "end result" and skillful right effort.

And @MaryAnne, perhaps you're not telling us the whole story, but I don't see why the perceived faults of others is a reason for you to not meditate. Just because other drivers on the road may be inconsiderate doesn't mean I should stop driving.

I don't mean to argue with you or say that you're wrong - it's your own practice after all - but I just don't see how one can be a Buddhist and not meditate (unless one is a Pure Land Buddhist I suppose, but that's a totally other thing). Sure, the 4NT and 8FP are the core of Buddhism, but just reading them and going "Yeah I'll do that" just makes it an intellectual exercise. A concerted effort at having a meditation practice helps bring the Truths and the Path to light, in my experience.
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    edited May 2013
    I try to meditate each night before I sleep. Not only because it relaxes me and gets me ready to sleep, but so I can centre before I sleep. I also find that the follow on effect the next day is helpful for me to stay mindful of my thoughts and actions. I work for a multinational bank in the technology section and it can get mighty stressful. I really notice if I miss more than a day's meditation.

In metta.
    Raven
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    Ooops I mistyped the html :)
  • I do 30 minute formal sitting sessions about 6 times a week, once or twice of those with the sangha. I go on 1-2 day retreats with my sangha every month or two.

I also try to practice mindfullness while I'm "out in the world". I do that fairly regularly when I commute to work, perform simple tasks (such as the classical washing the dishes), walk or grocery shop. This is probably where it matters the most, practicing in daily life, but this is also something I struggle with the most. But I'll keep working on it, as it's sort of the whole point, isn't it?
  • MaryAnneMaryAnne Veteran
    edited May 2013

I used to sit everyday, twice a day for 25 mins each time, but now that I'm working I'm not as diligent as I should be. I try to sit for at least 25 mins whenever I can - maybe 3x a week?

Every morning I do a set of prostrations and some chanting though.

MaryAnne said:

Since officially becoming a Buddhist (a few years ago), I honestly haven't felt the need nor desire to make meditation part of my 'practice'.

It's not called a meditation "practice" for nothing. The reason why people may be "cling[ing] desperately" to the efficacy of their meditation is because, like any other practice, they want to improve. That being said, there's a fine line between clinging to a perceived goal or "end result" and skillful right effort.

And @MaryAnne, perhaps you're not telling us the whole story, but I don't see why the perceived faults of others is a reason for you to not meditate. Just because other drivers on the road may be inconsiderate doesn't mean I should stop driving.

I don't mean to argue with you or say that you're wrong - it's your own practice after all - but I just don't see how one can be a Buddhist and not meditate (unless one is a Pure Land Buddhist I suppose, but that's a totally other thing). Sure, the 4NT and 8FP are the core of Buddhism, but just reading them and going "Yeah I'll do that" just makes it an intellectual exercise. A concerted effort at having a meditation practice helps bring the Truths and the Path to light, in my experience.

@invincible_summer

Well, I'll try to clarify (and somewhat separate) the two statements you quoted...

The reason I don't meditate - in the formal, sitting meditation sort of way - is because I, personally, at this time and juncture in my practice, don't feel a need or desire to, (as I said). I believe mindfulness at random times, while doing mundane things throughout the day can be just as effective as formal, scheduled, sitting meditation. Depending, of course, on what your goals are for meditation. And our goals may not be the same. (Most likely they're not). That's OK, too.

Like I said, I know that's not exactly the mainstream (popular) western perception of meditation and its "importance". But I believe it's mostly the western Buddhists who insist that one can't possibly be a "good Buddhist" without formal meditation- and I find that rather odd to say considering the vast majority of lay Buddhists - all across the Asian countries - don't meditate on a daily or even weekly basis. Would we be correct in saying that they are not "good Buddhists"? I wouldn't even think of saying that about cultures who have been steeped in Buddhism for many many generations....

So that's really the main reason I don't feel the need to incorporate formal meditation in my Buddhist practice, now. I spend more time in mindfulness (probably 10 times more time per day) than I would or could spend in formal meditation. Doesn't mean that won't or can't change some time in the future.

As for my other comment; people sometimes cling to their meditation practice and get hung up on how many, how long and how productive their formal sits are ... yet THAT seems to be the only time they devote any time or mindfulness (or action) to the Buddhist path. It becomes ALL about meditation and nothing about LIVING the path.

That is not actually why I don't meditate myself, but it reinforces my opinion that meditation does not necessarily make a "good Buddhist".

riverflowSabrelobsterInvincible_summer
    fivebells said:

Good meditation does. :)

LOL Touche`! But then again, depends on your idea of "good".... ;-)

• seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    That is why they call it the "eight" fold path, not the "seven" fold path. Sure, a person can be a "good Buddhist" even if they don't do any meditation. Only proper Sila, with no samadhi or pranja, still makes a "good buddhist" destined for a favorable rebirth. However, one should not fool oneself into thinking they are practicing the "eight" fold path if they never do any actual meditation. That is the seven fold path or perhaps the six fold path. Of course, the six fold path is still way better than the zero fold path! :)
    Invincible_summer
    edited May 2013
    @seeker242

Just as a matter of conversation-

Can a Catholic still be a "good catholic" through their actions words and deeds, even when they may not formally pray the rosary or observe Lent?
    Can a Christian still be a "good Christian" through their actions words and deeds, even though they never go to church?
    Can a Jew be a "good Jew" through their actions words and deeds even though they never go to temple or perhaps eat non-kosher foods?

Is it 'right' to judge who is and who isn't a good catholic/christian/Jew or Buddhist based solely on what one doesn't do, as opposed to what one does do?

from the 8 fold path:

8. Samma-Samadhi — Full, Integral or Holistic Samadhi. This is often translated as concentration, meditation, absorption or one-pointedness of mind. None of these translations is adequate.
    Samadhi literally means to be fixed, absorbed in or established at one point, thus the first level of meaning is concentration when the mind is fixed on a single object.
    The second level of meaning goes further and represents the establishment, not just of the mind, but also of the whole being in various levels or modes of consciousness and awareness.

This is Samadhi in the sense of enlightenment or Buddhahood.

(Italics, mine)

What is described there in italics can, IMO, be practiced / cultivated in other ways by 'good Buddhists' besides formal, sitting meditation. You may not agree... and that's fine, but that doesn't make me wrong. But I acknowledge it doesn't make you wrong, either. :)

Jeffrey
    zenmyste said:

I go for a run every morning very early, whilst the world is still asleep, quiet and very still. I run without music, and listen to my feet hitting the floor, my breath breathing heavy and try to be one with everything around me, buildings, houses, parks, lamp posts etc etc...

I then try to sit meditating for 'as long' as i can before bed! Again, very late so its very still and quiet , therefore i dont have any restrictions..

My meditations can last between 20 mins to 60 mins...

Im wanting to attend a silent retreat soon. I want to find one that concentrates on just meditation (and not necessarily 'buddhism' etc)

I loved and appreciated the picture and feeling you 'painted' with your description of your early morning runs...
    I used to LOVE getting up very early and walking (or jogging) to the beach to watch the sun rise over the water. Like you- no music, no singing or talking... just the sound of my feet on pavement, the birds and finally the waves lapping on the shore.
    *Sigh* I miss that sooooo much. Thanks for the memory recall!
    lobsterzenmyste
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    Is it 'right' to judge who is and who isn't a good catholic/christian/Jew or Buddhist based solely on what one doesn't do, as opposed to what one does do?
    Pardon me for answering - don't judge me too harshly.

Ultimately no. Realistically we judge ourselves, others, sangha, teachers, the freshness of pomegranates etc.

In my judgement the only good 'catholic/christian/Jew', is the one practicing/converted to Buddhism :crazy:

Is the Pope a Catholic? Let's hope not.

Be kind in your judgement.
    " In my judgement the only good 'catholic/christian/Jew', is the one practicing/converted to Buddhism :crazy: "

:eek: ::: swoons ::: *thud*................................
    JeffreylobsterBarra
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    Whether you meditate daily doesn't make you a good Buddhist or a bad one. Imo, its a tool to help one adopt a calmer, more wholesome mental state.

edited May 2013
    MaryAnne said:

@seeker242

Just as a matter of conversation-

Can a Catholic still be a "good catholic" through their actions words and deeds, even when they may not formally pray the rosary or observe Lent?
    Can a Christian still be a "good Christian" through their actions words and deeds, even though they never go to church?
    Can a Jew be a "good Jew" through their actions words and deeds even though they never go to temple or perhaps eat non-kosher foods?

Of course!
    from the 8 fold path:

8. Samma-Samadhi — Full, Integral or Holistic Samadhi. This is often translated as concentration, meditation, absorption or one-pointedness of mind. None of these translations is adequate.
    Samadhi literally means to be fixed, absorbed in or established at one point, thus the first level of meaning is concentration when the mind is fixed on a single object.
    The second level of meaning goes further and represents the establishment, not just of the mind, but also of the whole being in various levels or modes of consciousness and awareness.

This is Samadhi in the sense of enlightenment or Buddhahood.

(Italics, mine)

What is described there in italics can, IMO, be practiced / cultivated in other ways by 'good Buddhists' besides formal, sitting meditation. You may not agree... and that's fine, but that doesn't make me wrong. But I acknowledge it doesn't make you wrong, either. :)

I don't think that is what the Buddha taught.
    "And what is right concentration? There is the case where a monk — quite withdrawn from sensuality, withdrawn from unskillful (mental) qualities — enters & remains in the first jhana... he enters & remains in the second jhana... He enters & remains in the third jhana, ...he enters & remains in the fourth jhana: ...This is called right concentration."

— SN 45.8
    You can't enter jhana just by being mindful during the day. It requires actual meditation practice. "Right mindfulness" is great, but it's not the same as "right concentration"

Mahayana Buddhist on the other hand practice making perfect the 6 paramitas. The 5th of which is "The Perfection of Concentration (Dhyana Paramita)" and this is always about actual meditation practice.

Buddhism without meditation is still "good" but it's still incomplete. The vast majority of lay Buddhists, all across the Asian countries, who don't meditate on a daily or even weekly basis, are only practicing some of what the Buddha taught, not all of it. The vast majority of them believe "enlightenment" is reserved for monks and only monks. They are practicing to make good karma and have a good rebirth, not to get enlightenment.

personInvincible_summer
    seeker242 said:

The vast majority of lay Buddhists, all across the Asian countries, who don't meditate on a daily or even weekly basis, are only practicing some of what the Buddha taught, not all of it. The vast majority of them believe "enlightenment" is reserved for monks and only monks. They are practicing to make good karma and have a good rebirth, not to get enlightenment.

Ah yes, those uneducated Asian masses. If only they had the benefit of seeing Buddhism the way an intelligent Westerner does.

Kundo
    edited May 2013
    You are the one who called them uneducated, not me! What Buddhist teacher says meditation is not necessary to get enlightenment? I have yet to find one! All those eastern teachers who say "you should do meditation", I find it hard to believe they don't know what they are talking about.
    Seeker, I have no problem with you believing that meditation is necessary to fully realize Buddhism's potential (although, perhaps not all people seek the same thing from Buddhism as you). But I take exception to you singling out "The vast majority of lay Buddhists, all across the Asian countries".
    MaryAnne
    vinlyn said:

Seeker, I have no problem with you believing that meditation is necessary to fully realize Buddhism's potential (although, perhaps not all people seek the same thing from Buddhism as you). But I take exception to you singling out "The vast majority of lay Buddhists, all across the Asian countries".

My point was that if the vast majority of lay Buddhist don't do any meditation, like maryann claimed, then the vast majority are not practicing the whole of Buddhism but only part of it. If they are only practicing part of it, it would be reasonable to conclude they are not trying to get a Buddha's enlightenment in this lifetime since the Buddha and all Buddhist teacher teach that this is necessary for most everyone. Do the vast majority of lay Buddhists all across the Asian countries practice a daily meditation practice? I don't think so.
    edited May 2013
    The singling out is the issue. Do you have any data to suggest that "Western Buddhists" meditate any more than "Asian Buddhists"?

I'm not going to keep going back and forth on this. I've made my objection.
    vinlyn said:

The singling out is the issue. Do you have any data to suggest that "Western Buddhists" meditate any more than "Asian Buddhists"?

I'm not going to keep going back and forth on this. I've made my objection.

Who first said

"and I find that rather odd to say considering the vast majority of lay Buddhists - all across the Asian countries - don't meditate on a daily or even weekly basis."

It wasn't me! Although I do agree with that. :)

I don't see where anyone was making a comparison that Western Buddhists are more Buddhist than anyone else. It was a simple statement of what appears to be fact.
    #1 Of all the Buddhists in the world, few of them maintain a regular meditation practice
    #2 Part of the N8FP is meditation
    #3 According to the path, meditation is necessary yet many Buddhists do not practice it
    #4 Those who do not practice it, are not practicing what Buddha taught one should practice.

Now, if someone chooses to judge those people based on that, that is a different thing entirely. People practice Buddhism for all sorts of different reasons. I don't know a single person who practices their religion 100%. That's why it's a practice. To those who meditate hours a day, the mere 30 minutes I am lucky to sneak in probably don't seem enough. To me, hours a day meditating seems excessive and unnecessary unless you are ordained. But we're all different, and we're all practicing Buddhism for different reasons, and that's a-okay.

Remembered seeing this so I looked it up:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/lewis-richmond/most-buddhists-dont-medit_b_1461821.html

Hardly scientific data, but a good read regardless.

My view is, whatever works. Why should I care if someone sits every day for 10 minutes, 2 hours, weekly for one hour, or only on the full moon? If they feel they are meditating and getting more use out of daily mindfulness than sitting on a cushion, who am I to tell them they are wrong? Just having time to be quiet and still is a form of meditation.
    lobsterriverflowpersonInvincible_summer
  • betaboybetaboy Veteran
    @vinlyn
    if I want to understand Lutheran theology, I will study from Luther's books to get an idea. I won't observe the behavior of a Lutheran-dominated country, say Germany, to get an insight into Lutheran theology. Likewise, Buddhism does not rely upon what people in thailand do or believe - Buddhism is learnt from the Buddha's sayings.
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited May 2013
    The great composer and pianist Rubenstein is said to have remarked;
    " If I miss a days piano practice I notice the difference.
    If I miss two days practice my family notices.
    If I miss three days practice the public notices "

Personally I have to practice meditation everyday..there may be those for whom this is unneccessary. But I am not one of them.
    No matter how good my intentions, if I miss out meditation I become clouded.
    riverflowpersonKundo
    edited May 2013
    @seeker242 said in part:

"The vast majority of lay Buddhists, all across the Asian countries, who don't meditate on a daily or even weekly basis, are only practicing some of what the Buddha taught, not all of it. The vast majority of them believe "enlightenment" is reserved for monks and only monks. They are practicing to make good karma and have a good rebirth, not to get enlightenment. "

@seeker242, I'm pretty surprised at your reluctance to let go of the assumptions and judgements of others' practice (of Buddhism).

Did it ever occur to you that I am - like that vast majority of lay Buddhists all across Asian countries - only interested in 'making good karma', and living a peaceful, sympathetic life on this planet, and in this universe, with as little suffering as possible, for this lifetime?

Is the seeking of the Ultimate / Enlightenment the only "legitimate" goal of a Buddhist's Life?
    I don't think the Buddha had any such delusion that all people, lay people in particular, would seek (and find) "Enlightenment" in one lifetime, a few lifetimes, and maybe not even in many lifetimes....

Are you really willing to stick to your notion that the individual, precise way a person (any person) practices their 8 Fold mindfulness and right concentration is the defining line between a real Buddhist and a "not quite" Buddhist? Really? You don't see a problem with making that judgement?

I've read this somewhere, at some time, but can't remember where; "meditation is a western word. There is no word for meditation in the (original?) Buddhist languages." We in the West apply our own understanding to the word and practice of "meditation"... nothing wrong with that, but let's at least acknowledge that it isn't the way ALL Buddhists everywhere define or practice mindfulness and 'right concentration'.

riverflowkarastivinlynKundo
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited May 2013
    If we look at one of the models within Buddhism ..the Pali/Theravada form for example ,we see that The 8FP is divided into three sections Panna/Prajna which translates as Wisdom and covers Right View and Right Intention. Then Sila which translates as Ethical Conduct and includes Right Speech , Right Intention and Right Livilihood.
    The final group come under the general heading of Samadhi..mental absorbtion and
    consists of Right Effort, Right Mindfulness and Right Concentration.
    It is this last trio which are usually meant when we refer to "meditation "
    It is clear from a hundred contexts that this mental absorption has particular qualities that for the overwhelming majority have to be learned ..they do not for most of us simply occur. Although in theory there is no reason to suppose that they cannot.
    But in practice I know of no teacher in any school of Buddhadharma that does not see a formal period of stilling the mind on a regular basis away from day to day concerns as a prerequisite for the development of Samadhi.
    personpommesetoranges
  • riverflowriverflow Veteran
    edited May 2013
    As a monastic practice, yes. And in Pure Land I understand that sitting meditation is not a common practice. Sitting meditation for lay people wasn't common until Buddhism's spread to the west, where things were emphasised differently. Dogen teaching sitting meditation to lay people was considered very unusual for his time, and later in life he did return to keeping it a primarily monastic practice.
    MaryAnneInvincible_summerKundo
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    In Pureland riverflow ,Samadhi is one of the results of achieving one pointedness via chanting.
    There are many ways of approaching onepointedness of mind.

Ajahn Chan once said that one of the reasons that Buddhdharma is coming west is so that it can be re-exported to Asia in its fullness..stripped of the more folk-Buddhist accretions.
    personInvincible_summerpommesetoranges
    edited May 2013
    MaryAnne said:

@seeker242 said in part:

Are you really willing to stick to your notion that the individual, precise way a person (any person) practices their 8 Fold mindfulness and right concentration is the defining line between a real Buddhist and a "not quite" Buddhist? Really? You don't see a problem with making that judgement?

Yes, I do see a problem with that, which is why I never made that judgment to begin with!
    I've read this somewhere, at some time, but can't remember where; "meditation is a western word. There is no word for meditation in the (original?) Buddhist languages." We in the West apply our own understanding to the word and practice of "meditation"... nothing wrong with that, but let's at least acknowledge that it isn't the way ALL Buddhists everywhere define or practice mindfulness and 'right concentration'.
    I wasn't trying to define what all Buddhists everywhere say or believe, I was saying what the scriptures say and what Buddhist teachers say. They say to do meditation! They say that meditation is an intrinsic part of the path to enlightenment!

"The idea of a self is merely a concept, a convention-American, Thai, teacher, student, all are conventions. Ultimately no one exists, only earth, fire, water, and air-elements that have combined temporarily. We call the body a person, my self, but ultimately there is no me, there is only anatta, not-self. To understand not-self, you have to meditate. If you only intellectualize, your head will explode." ~Ajahn Chah

If you don't want to learn or know what anatta really is, then sure you don't have to meditate. However, if you don't, then you are only practicing some of what the Buddha taught, not all of it! The idea that this is "good or bad" is your judgment, not mine! It is neither good or bad, it's just the way it is.
    person
    That may be true (though I can't claim to know what every teacher studies. One lama I retreated with emphasized mantra chanting far more than meditation), but again, not everyone is a Buddhist, or follows Buddhist principles to reach enlightenment. Enlightenment may be out there, but it's not a concern for me in my daily life. I am concerned with lessening suffering for myself and those around me right now, and only right now. What comes of that in the future is of little concern to me at this point, and I would be more than happy to be reborn again. I rather hope my time as a human isn't quite over, and thus enlightenment is not important to me right now.
    vinlynriverflow
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    Mantra chanting is. or can be, a form of meditating Karasti.
    Meditation is one pointedness of mind...collected , not scattered. Aware..
    The means to arrive at that are many.
    I know that. But we were comparing the need for actual, sitting meditation. Not other things that can also be forms of meditation. That is the whole point, that we can, and do, meditate without sitting on a cushion. There are many ways to still the mind, and if a person can do it without sitting on a cushion for an hour a day, more power to them. I'm hardly going to tell them they are doing something wrong, or not Buddhist as a result.
    vinlynriverflow
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    rivercane said:

Just wondering how many people here meditate every day or more than once a day? I wanted to set this up as a poll but didn't see that option.

For the past couple of years, I could only manage to meditate a few times a week. Then sometimes I would not meditate at all for weeks at a time. It's really been a struggle for me to learn to discipline myself enough to mediate. It's as if I wanted to do it, but had to force myself.

Now I seemed to have turned a corner around the start of the new year and I find it fairly easy to meditate every day. It's something I look forward to. So far this year, I've only skipped a few days and some days I will meditate two or three times throughout the day. I usually meditate for about 40 minutes in the evening but will sometimes go for an hour or longer. I find it is more difficult in the morning and usually I will only meditate for about 20 minutes in the morning and then maybe a quick 10 minutes around noon.

So far I can count the number of "deep" meditation experiences I've had on one hand, even after trying for a few years, but I've found that meditating every day has really helped me learn to settle my mind much quicker than when I first started to meditate. I've gotten used to letting go of thoughts as they arise whereas in the past my entire meditation session was spent dealing with trying to clear my mind of thoughts.

This is the OP. It doesn't mention any specific form of meditation.