Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

disrespect and non disrespect towards Buddha

edited July 2013 in Buddhism Basics
After reading the thread about buddha statues in bars, I thought I would mention something most people dont talk about or mabe dont notice or care?
I think its disrespectful to have images and statues of Buddha in bars and clubs. You dont ever see a crucifix in bars. Least I haven't. But then how many people in those clubs or bars have on a cross necklace? and even strippers?

Heres something ive noticed...You hear "GOD DAMNIT!" all the time. Yet most agree this is very disrespectful. Even though Im a Buddhist I respect "God" and others beliefs not to say this.
But one good thing at least here in america you never hear people say "BUDDHA DAMN IT!"
And, again at least here in america we dont get much bashing from other religions or lack there of. Even atheists seem to basically respect Buddhist ideals and say as a philosophy its very beneficial.

So if you compaire the bashing Christians get vs us Buddhists we are almost off the radar and sort of on the sidelines which in my opinion is good and hopefully it stays that way.

And yes I am fully aware of some very horrific events in history where temples have been destroyed, monks been murdered, and many other things. But in current times things are fairly good .

I end this post with a question.
How would it make you feel if "BUDDHA DAMN IT" became the norm like "God DAMN IT" is today?
your thought?
Sabre

Comments

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    As far as I can see, there is only ONE thing to be learned from the mistakes anyone might observe: Don't you do that.
    Kundo
  • genkaku said:

As far as I can see, there is only ONE thing to be learned from the mistakes anyone might observe: Don't you do that.

Very true my friend.

• Personally I wouldn't care. To me people saying "god dammit" or "god damn him/her" only means that they wish god would damn (or punish) someone. Will god listen? Of course not -- if one believes in god, that is. "God" does what he wants.

The other point is, Buddha isn't a "god".
    Buddha never claimed to be nor wanted to be seen as a deity. So, Buddha dammit! just doesn't make sense. ;) Buddha statues in bars or clubs? I'm on the fence about that.... I think I might be offended if I wanted to be offended.

You know- people say "Praise Jesus" or "Thank God!" all the time, and no one considers who believes or how that will be understood by others ... it's just taken for granted that it's a "positive" thing to say.
    Yet when a bad guy/criminal is punished with the death penalty or struck down in some other way (police, accident, etc) many people praise Jesus or thank god that person got his just desserts.... Is that really any better than "god damn him"?

Many times instead of saying OMG! in texts or social media, I type OMB! (Oh My Buddha!), would that be considered disrespectful to Buddha as well? ::: shrugs:::
    Words. Just words, not meant to hurt anyone...

JoyfulGirlericcris10sen
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    @MaryAnne ... OMB ... Office of Management and Budget ... shows you how far behind the Internet curve I am. :)
    MaryAnneadventuressKundo
  • MaryAnne said:

Personally I wouldn't care. To me people saying "god dammit" or "god damn him/her" only means that they wish god would damn (or punish) someone. Will god listen? Of course not -- if one believes in god, that is. "God" does what he wants.

The other point is, Buddha isn't a "god".
    Buddha never claimed to be nor wanted to be seen as a deity. So, Buddha dammit! just doesn't make sense. ;) Buddha statues in bars or clubs? I'm on the fence about that.... I think I might be offended if I wanted to be offended.

You know- people say "Praise Jesus" or "Thank God!" all the time, and no one considers who believes or how that will be understood by others ... it's just taken for granted that it's a "positive" thing to say.
    Yet when a bad guy/criminal is punished with the death penalty or struck down in some other way (police, accident, etc) many people praise Jesus or thank god that person got his just desserts.... Is that really any better than "god damn him"?

Many times instead of saying OMG! in texts or social media, I type OMB! (Oh My Buddha!), would that be considered disrespectful to Buddha as well? ::: shrugs:::
    Words. Just words, not meant to hurt anyone...

I can agree to your insight here. Unfortunatly words are sometimes used to hurt, which goes against Right speech, and that according to Buddha is unskillful karma which a person will have to answer for.

• @Shigo

Absolutely, words can be used to hurt and punish people. I understand that completely -and I always try to do my part to stop verbal bullies whenever I hear them or see them (on the internet).
    I'm very involved with a few size acceptance / fat acceptance / Health At Every Size groups and forums, and I've become sensitive to how verbal bullies work to damage people; sometimes under the guise of "helping" or "concern".
    But that being said, someone cursing or saying goddammit! is different than calling someone specific names or targeting someone with hate speech or verbal bullying.

YMMV
    Shigo
  • SilouanSilouan Veteran
    edited July 2013
    Many people display Buddha statues and such because of their pop value rather than religious purposes. Before the making of statues representing the Buddha his symbol was a foot with an eight spoke wheel etched on the sole.

However, a bar owner and a stripper can also both be spiritual strugglers. At first it seems kind of ironic to see a stripper wearing a cross, but I wear one too and I'm no different in my condition and have similar struggles for sure.

As far as the cursing goes many people say things like that without thinking too much about what they are actually saying, so it’s more about the lack of mindfulness than disrespect, and it's actually rooted in complaining and blaming God for their misfortune, but that really isn't applicable to the Buddha, so I don't see that catching on.

My spiritual father told me when cursing is said in my presence to make the sign of the cross and respond with something like, "glorious is the name of our savior Jesus Christ", and at least some will actually begin to think before they speak and not say it at all, so through that a little mindfulness is accomplished and perhaps some corresponding results for one's immediate environment.
  • @MaryAnne it's funny how you mention the health /fat online thing. Something very similar happened on a post about health and food issues where I actually tried to help someone and my words came out wrong or the person misunderstood me trying to help and accused me of the opposite so sometimes even though a person has right intention, words can be misunderstood and the helper causes damage that was not intended.
  • Silouan said:

Many people display Buddha statues and such because of their pop value rather than religious purposes. Before the making of statues representing the Buddha his symbol was a foot with an eight spoke wheel etched on the sole.

However, a bar owner and a stripper can also both be spiritual strugglers. At first it seems kind of ironic to see a stripper wearing a cross, but I wear one too and I'm no different in my condition and have similar struggles for sure.

As far as the cursing goes many people say things like that without thinking too much about what they are actually saying, so it’s more about the lack of mindfulness than disrespect, and it's actually rooted in complaining and blaming God for their misfortune, but that really isn't applicable to the Buddha, so I don't see that catching on.

My spiritual father told me when cursing is said in my presence to make the sign of the cross and respond with something like, "glorious is the name of our savior Jesus Christ", and at least some will actually begin to think before they speak and not say it at all, so through that a little mindfulness is accomplished and perhaps some corresponding results for one's immediate environment.

You brought up some interesting points here. It is very true any person can be struggling regardless of the location or what they do for a living.

On a sidetrack note Ive always admired the foot and wheel symbol.

• Why judge on how others wish to speak or display iconic images. I'm more concerned with my own actions, thoughts and words. For me, I see no disrespect, since disrespect would be built from an emotion that rises from within.
    ShigoriverflowadventuressThinGentlement
  • edited July 2013
    I_AM_THAT said:

Why judge on how others wish to speak or display iconic images. I'm more concerned with my own actions, thoughts and words. For me, I see no disrespect, since disrespect would be built from an emotion that rises from within.

Thank Buddha! ;)

I have to concur @I_AM_THAT. I do not see why wasting negative emotional output and energy on feeling 'disrespected' but someone's choice of decor or wording is at all productive, towards yourself or the person/people in question.

Do you truly, honestly, and whole-heartedly believe this person/people are doing whatever they're doing to insult, disrespect, or harm you or anyone else? Do you think they really consider their use of whichever word or image disrespectful or perhaps they see it as more a symbol of something, some emotion, that may be similar to one you've felt when using those words or that image? Why do you, I, or anyone else get to dictate how they choose to use those words or images? What if they claimed your use of those words or images is disrespectful towards their being?

Seems a labyrinth of questioning that doesn't serve much purpose when you really break it down to it's essence. I would work more towards not being bothered by someone else's benign choices in life... but, I do that every day with mixed success! Not as easy as it sounds. :D
    I_AM_THAT
  • edited July 2013
    vinlyn said:

Here's the real issue -- compassion.

Whether it's a cross or crucifix or any other religious "item"...it's just an item. "It" won't know if you're disrespecting "it".

But if you really believe in compassion, you'll respect the people (and their feelings) who believe in the "item".

If it is an item, I fail to see how putting compassionate feeling and context into something that is temporary as well as changing is productive or healthy. I think if someone verbally said, very clearly, they disrespect you and your religious ideology, even that should be taken as just ignorance or anger that has little to do with your beliefs or yourself...

Also, the other side to that compassion coin is the fact that you fail to be compassionate towards others when you condemn and judge them for dismissing or disrespecting you or your religious items/idols/images/words.

Also, we are not entitled to receive respect from everyone as human beings. Sometimes we just don't get it, whether or not we feel we deserve it or in whatever way we feel we'd like to receive it. Getting attached to respect or emotional validation from those around us is a rocky road that never quite smooths out... Giving our kindness, compassion, understanding, and respect to others... That is something that we control as well as can give freely. Perhaps that is the more important point in all this?

Giving respect in order to receive it doesn't really pan out, hate to say. Giving to receive nothing always pans out... Living to receive does not leave you happy, because I feel you ultimately feel you've never received enough...

Sorry, rambling again! :)
    I_AM_THATJoyfulGirlJeffreyriverflow
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    edited July 2013
    If 2 people decide to have a discussion about the validity of their religion, that's one thing. Then, people should be honest.

But to go to a Buddhist temple and climb all over a Buddha statue is rude and disrespectful to the Buddhists who believe in that religion and its icons. Why would you do it?

Rudeness is rudeness. Disrespect is disrespect. People ought to have some basic manners. And neither rudeness nor disrespect is compassion.

Shigolobsterkarmablues
  • vinlyn said:

If 2 people decide to have a discussion about the validity of their religion, that's one thing. Then, people should be honest.

But to go to a Buddhist temple and climb all over a Buddha statue is rude and disrespectful to the Buddhists who believe in that religion and its icons. Why would you do it?

Rudeness is rudeness. Disrespect is disrespect. People ought to have some basic manners. And neither rudeness nor disrespect is compassion.

I can not agree more

vinlyn
  • Right speech is right speech. Cursing and vulgar language and taking names in vein etc etc is not right speech according to the Buddha's teaching's. Plain and simple.
    vinlyn
  • Am I to judge the words used by another individual? Right speech is Right speech... but there are also choices on what one hears and how one reacts.
  • I_AM_THAT said:

Am I to judge the words used by another individual? Right speech is Right speech... but there are also choices on what one hears and how one reacts.

No doubt. Thats why The Buddha included Right Action

• Why would it be disrespectful of a stripper to wear a cross. After all he or she is also a sentient being, doing a job as any other job.
    vinlynlobster
  • I try not to swear or use bad language because I think it is harder for people around me to actually understand what I am thinking. Instead of saying fuck you, it is much more benefical to say I am angry at you because of this or that... Just a thought, but I dont really mind swearing using godddamn and fuck etc... There are some things I dont like, but thats an other discussion :)
    vinlyn
    I_AM_THAT said:

Am I to judge the words used by another individual? Right speech is Right speech... but there are also choices on what one hears and how one reacts.

First, I simply do not believe that when people say something truly insulting or demeaning to you that it does not register any reaction, even though you may control the reaction.

But that is not the point. The point of this discussion in the past several posts is not how someone reacts to what someone says or does, the point is what is the most conducive way to behave in society when you interact with other people, whether or not it has anything to do with their religion.

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    I try to be kind. Even to my mouth and Buddha strippers.
    Are my words angry? Is my ability to see Christ in the devil herself or the Buddha herself being in touch with my more skilful side?

If I was really skilful, I would go to a strip joint and pay them money to put their clothes back on, that would cause some cussing karma . . .
    :wow:
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    FWIW, the old zen masters burned Buddha statues for firewood and wiped their butts with pages of sacred scriptures. They were still wise men! :lol:
    ThinGentlement
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    seeker242 said:

FWIW, the old zen masters burned Buddha statues for firewood and wiped their butts with pages of sacred scriptures. They were still wise men! :lol:

This burnt statue was rescued from a fire that burned down a nearby Church. Strangely enough there was a Zen group practicing in the area . . . [dramatic pause] . . . nah! . . .

and then we have . . . Zen 'Sutra toilet paper'. Dharma and shit. We may have a possible product line . . . 'For when your practice is constipated and all you can do is sit in seclusion'
  • Shigo said:

I end this post with a question.
    How would it make you feel if "BUDDHA DAMN IT" became the norm like "God DAMN IT" is today?
    your thought?

It wouldn't bother me. Simple words aren't enough to cause me offence, especially where they are cast aside in a throwaway sense without intention to upset any particular individual.

Would I use such curses myself? Probably - out of habit, but it's something I'm working on. OTOH, just about anything you say or do might be offensive to someone, particularly extremists, no matter how carefully one might dance around sensibilities. Therein lies a subtle nuance. Who is it you're offending and why?
  • edited July 2013
    @ThinGentlement "Would I use such curses myself? Probably - out of habit, but it's something I'm working on. OTOH, just about anything you say or do might be offensive to someone, particularly extremists, no matter how carefully one might dance around sensibilities. Therein lies a subtle nuance. Who is it you're offending and why?"

well said.
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited July 2013
    It's been shown scientifically that cursing can cause momentary relief (I'm forgetting the name of the effect, but it's essentially the "thrill" offsetting pain). Taking the lord's name in vain is taboo, therefore a "curse". Nobody cares if you say "Buddha dammit" (nor is it very gratifying to say - doesn't exactly roll off the tongue like the hard consonants of a good single-syllable curse) so I don't expect it would have much effect.
  • Lincoln said:

It's been shown scientifically that cursing can cause momentary relief (I'm forgetting the name of the effect, but it's essentially the "thrill" offsetting pain). Taking the lord's name in vain is taboo, therefore a "curse". Nobody cares if you say "Buddha dammit" (nor is it very gratifying to say - doesn't exactly roll off the tongue like the hard consonants of a good single-syllable curse) so I don't expect it would have much effect.

But even if its scientifically a relief of pain, wouldn't it be of more benefit to oneself and others to practice what Buddha taught? in compassion to what science says I mean

• LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    I obviously chose not to address the question from the perspective of Buddhist philosophy. Rather, I was conjecturing why no one does it as a practical matter.
  • edited July 2013
    Lincoln said:

I obviously chose not to address the question from the perspective of Buddhist philosophy. Rather, I was conjecturing why no one does it as a practical matter.

True
    What do others here think in terms of cursing as a "healthy" alternative vs practicing Right Speech?
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    lobster said:

and then we have . . . Zen 'Sutra toilet paper'. Dharma and shit. We may have a possible product line . . . 'For when your practice is constipated and all you can do is sit in seclusion'

Prevents clinging!
    riverflow
  • I can swear like a sailor but I've made some improvement with it (usually!).

In the context of MY own speech in relation to myself, my main concern with cursing doesn't lie in the words themselves but in the anger that has given rise to it.

Still, certain words I do not ever use particularly ones that have a very specific misogynistic undertone.

In the context of MY speech in relation to OTHERS, I try to remain aware of possible sensitivities that they may find offensive, even if it doesn't offend me.

In the conext of OTHERS speech, I have no control over what they say to me and I don't really *get* the idea of "taking offense." But others do, so if I stood in the company of others whose speech I knew offended the other party, I might try suggesting (gently) that the other party might take offense.

In a broader context, politically speaking, I may consider what someone says as rude, and I may say so, but I have no right to make a law saying "You can't say that just because it's rude."

Context always matters-- a blanket rule doesn't help.
    Shigo said:

Lincoln said:

True
    What do others here think in terms of cursing as a "healthy" alternative vs practicing Right Speech?
    I'm not sure that Lincoln was advocating swearing.

But it is certainly not "right speech", and if you're going to throw away the Noble Eightfold Path...well, what's the point.

Shigo
  • riverflow said:

I can swear like a sailor but I've made some improvement with it (usually!).

In the context of MY own speech in relation to myself, my main concern with cursing doesn't lie in the words themselves but in the anger that has given rise to it.

Still, certain words I do not ever use particularly ones that have a very specific misogynistic undertone.

In the context of MY speech in relation to OTHERS, I try to remain aware of possible sensitivities that they may find offensive, even if it doesn't offend me.

In the conext of OTHERS speech, I have no control over what they say to me and I don't really *get* the idea of "taking offense." But others do, so if I stood in the company of others whose speech I knew offended the other party, I might try suggesting (gently) that the other party might take offense.

In a broader context, politically speaking, I may consider what someone says as rude, and I may say so, but I have no right to make a law saying "You can't say that just because it's rude."

Context always matters-- a blanket rule doesn't help.

I understand what your saying. So would you say that The Buddhas teachings on right speech are to not be taken literally and we can adjust the teachings to fit our own ideas?
    (I take them seriously but thats me..not that you said you dont)
  • vinlyn said:

Shigo said:

Lincoln said:

True

But it is certainly not "right speech", and if you're going to throw away the Noble Eightfold Path...well, what's the point.

Yeah I think theres a lot of buffet buddhists these days. Its not the 6 fold path with a side of "I'll do whatever I want"

Shigo said:

vinlyn said:

Shigo said:

Lincoln said:

True

Yeah I think theres a lot of buffet buddhists these days. Its not the 6 fold path with a side of "I'll do whatever I want"

Well, I didn't got that far. Picking and choosing is okay, depending on the level you're at within Buddhism. But, the Eightfold Path is one of the most basic parts of Buddhism.

And, we do have to remember that sometimes even within the Eightfold Path there is a matter of interpretation.

riverflow
  • Thats true. interpretation can be difficult sometimes.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Lincoln said:

It's been shown scientifically that cursing can cause momentary relief (I'm forgetting the name of the effect, but it's essentially the "thrill" offsetting pain).......

It's also been shown that someone who uses foul and profane language as a matter of course, and peppers their everyday discussions with E.D.'s, experiences little or no beneficial effect or relief from 'what ails them'.

In other words, if you don't habitually swear, a good tirade will help ease the burden.
    If you DO habitually swear, it's just same, old, same-old, and.....so what?

riverflow
    i think people forget that right speech is more than just not cursing (etc.)...it's also how you deal with people in each and every verbal interchange.
    ShigoriverflowNirvanaJoyfulGirl
  • robotrobot Veteran
    Swearing is simply expressing yourself. It has little to do with right or wrong speech unless you are aiming it at someone, or calling someone something rude in their absence.
    MaryAnneThinGentlement
    robot said:

Swearing is simply expressing yourself. It has little to do with right or wrong speech unless you are aiming it at someone, or calling someone something rude in their absence.

I consider it a training rule, as well. It's a way of constantly perfecting your behavior.

• robot said:

Yes, but my main point is that you dont see The Buddha using vulgar language anywhere in the suttas. If we are serious about being buddhists AND practicing the 8 fold path shouldn't we actually take the Buddha as our example? I dont believe he avoided vulgar language for no reason or just because it wasn't a habit of his. If one believes in the Buddhas teachings to be true why not practice avoid certain words. I think doing so allows for other factors of the 8 fold path to become much stronger.

vinlyn
  • Shigo said:

I understand what your saying. So would you say that The Buddhas teachings on right speech are to not be taken literally and we can adjust the teachings to fit our own ideas?
    (I take them seriously but thats me..not that you said you dont)

I'd say that each person's practice involves investigating the context of each situation. Applying the same action to every situation as a one-size-fits-all solution doesn't always help.

Buddhism provides tools for each person's practice-- my circumstances and weaknesses and suffering may differ from mine. So we each have a responsibility to our own lives and our interactions with others.

So the N8FP, the precepts and the various doctrines of Buddhism help guide one's AWARENESS of oneself and situations and in order to apply skillful action, speech and so on. The key to skillfulness lies in that awareness, not in just following Buddhist doctrines "by the letter."

To take these as commandments to follow, as an across-the-board absolute, I don't think of as skillful-- that could easily lead to behavior like a bull in a china shop in some situations-- which in the end does no one any good. I don't advocate mere relativism, but rather a raised awareness of each situation as it arises.

An important aspect of mindfulness to me means opening a space to listen to others. So we can learn to respond skillfully rather than karmically react to circumstances.
  • @Shigo - a relevant passage:

"Therefore, Mahamati, bodhisattvas are not attached to words but expound the teachings of the sutras according to what is appropriate. Because the longings and afflictions of beings are not the same, I and other buddhas teach different teachings to beings with different levels of understanding..."

~ Lankavatara Sutra (translated by Red Pine)
  • [1] In the case of words that the Tathagata knows to be unfactual, untrue, unbeneficial (or: not connected with the goal), unendearing & disagreeable to others, he does not say them.

[2] In the case of words that the Tathagata knows to be factual, true, unbeneficial, unendearing & disagreeable to others, he does not say them.

[3] In the case of words that the Tathagata knows to be factual, true, beneficial, but unendearing & disagreeable to others, he has a sense of the proper time for saying them.

[4] In the case of words that the Tathagata knows to be unfactual, untrue, unbeneficial, but endearing & agreeable to others, he does not say them.

[5] In the case of words that the Tathagata knows to be factual, true, unbeneficial, but endearing & agreeable to others, he does not say them.

[6] In the case of words that the Tathagata knows to be factual, true, beneficial, and endearing & agreeable to others, he has a sense of the proper time for saying them. Why is that? Because the Tathagata has sympathy for living beings."

riverflowNirvanaThinGentlement
  • @Shigo - what sutta does that come from? (for my future reference)

Thank you for sharing that! It outlines Right Speech in such a succinct way!
  • Abhaya Sutta Majjhima Nikaya 58
    riverflow
  • Shigo said:

Abhaya Sutta Majjhima Nikaya 58

Thank you!!!!!
  • karmablueskarmablues Veteran
    edited July 2013
    Five keys to right speech — AN 5.198:
    "Monks, a statement endowed with five factors is well-spoken, not ill-spoken. It is blameless & unfaulted by knowledgeable people. Which five?

"It is spoken at the right time. It is spoken in truth. It is spoken affectionately. It is spoken beneficially. It is spoken with a mind of good-will."

Speak only words that do no harm — Khuddaka Nikaaya:
    "One should speak only that word by which one would not torment oneself nor harm others. That word is indeed well spoken.

"One should speak only pleasant words, words which are acceptable (to others). What one speaks without bringing evils to others is pleasant."

Self-purification through well-chosen speech — AN 10.176:
    "And how is one made pure in four ways by verbal action?

"There is the case where a certain person, abandoning false speech, abstains from false speech.....

"Abandoning divisive speech he abstains from divisive speech.....

"Abandoning abusive speech, he abstains from abusive speech. He speaks words that are soothing to the ear, that are affectionate, that go to the heart, that are polite, appealing & pleasing to people at large.

"Abandoning idle chatter, he abstains from idle chatter....

"This is how one is made pure in four ways by verbal action."
    Respectful behaviour is good karma - MN 135:
    But here some woman or man is not obdurate or haughty; he pays homage to whom he should pay homage, rises up for whom he should rise up, gives a seat to whom he should give a seat, makes way for whom he should make way, worships him who should be worshipped, respects him who should be respected, reveres him who should be revered, honors him who should be honored. Due to having performed and completed such kammas, on the dissolution of the body, after death, he reappears in a happy destination... If instead he comes to the human state, he is high-born wherever he is reborn. This is the way that leads to high birth, that is to say, not to be obdurate or haughty, to pay homage to whom he should pay homage, to rise up for..., to give a seat to..., to make way for..., to worship... respect... revere... honor him who should be honored.

The above are advice on how we should act towards others especially with regards to speech, but the following is advice on how we should react:

Maintain equanimity when others praise or blame Buddhism - Digha, Nikaya, I. 3:
    “If anyone were to speak ill of me, my teachings or my disciples, do not bear any ill will towards him, be upset or perturbed at heart; for if you were to do so, it would only cause you harm. If, on the other hand, anyone were to speak well of me, my teachings and my disciples, do not be overjoyed, thrilled or elated at heart; for if you were to do so, it would only be an obstacle in the way of forming a realistic judgment as to whether the qualities praised are real and actually found in me, my teachings or my disciples.”
    Let go and remain calm when subjected to abuse - Dhammapada:
    "They insulted me; they hurt me;
    they defeated me; they cheated me."
    In those who harbor such thoughts,
    hate will never cease.

"They insulted me; they hurt me;
    they defeated me; they cheated me."
    In those who do not harbor such thoughts,
    hate will cease.

Silently shall I endure abuse as the elephant in battle endures the arrow sent from the bow:
    for the world is ill-natured.

They lead a tamed elephant to battle, the king mounts a tamed elephant;
    the tamed is the best among men, he who silently endures abuse.
    ShigoriverflowArthurbodhi