Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

2014: The Year of the Vegan

As public and celebrity support for compassionate plant-based cuisine keeps growing, could 2014 be the year veganism becomes mainstream?
Read more:
http://www.mfablog.ca/2014/01/2014-the-year-of-the-vegan.html

Comments

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    I think once the myth of its unhealthiness is completely busted more and more of us will be vegan.

Vegan meat alternatives often taste better than meat these days.
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    True - there is a buddhist restaurant I go to here in Melbourne that has meat substitutes and I reckon they are better than the real thing. Their chicken nuggets are awesome!

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/71/760716/restaurant/CBD/Fo-Guang-Yuan-Art-Gallery-Melbourne
    Invincible_summer
  • TheEccentricTheEccentric Hampshire, UK Veteran
    I don't understand what isn't compassionate about eating eggs as long as they are free range.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    @TheEccentric

Range free only means the chickens are not always penned up. There are many different definitions of free range that still allow for brutal animal living conditions. They are also short lived because when their egg production starts to drop, they are killed.

It's the vegans not eating honey that I have questions about.???

Invincible_summerDharmaMcBum
    how said:

@TheEccentric

Range free only means the chickens are not always penned up. There are many different definitions of free range that still allow for brutal animal living conditions. They are also short lived because when their egg production starts to drop, they are killed.

What if you get eggs from your own chickens like I do so you know they are being well looked after and are not going to be killed? A vegan would still be opposed to this even though there is nothing immoral about it.
    BunksInvincible_summer
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited January 2014
    I've stayed at monasteries where the monks cared for chickens. The egg production dwindled to nothing over time as the flock aged, as well as being slowly augmented by the locals who would slip their own aging non productive chickens over the monastic walls in the middle of the night.
    It became a bit of an old folks home for chickens.
    Hamsakacvalue
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    ......no.
    Kundo
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    Chickens are really just little dinosaurs in feather boas. All you need to be convinced of that is to be present when some foolish mouse strays into their turf. Jurassic park revisited.

Invincible_summerTheEccentricDharmaMcBum
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran

A vegan would still be opposed to this even though there is nothing immoral about it.

Not necessarily. It depends on where you got the chicken from to begin with and why. And what may or may not happen to it after it stops producing eggs. Also, some people just don't consider eggs to even be food to begin with so of course they would be opposed to eating something that isn't even food. :)
    how said:

Regurgitated insect phlegm? No thanks! :lol:
  • HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran
    Chickens are really just little dinosaurs in feather boas. All you need to be convinced of that is to be present when some foolish mouse strays into their turf. Jurassic park revisited.

Indeed. I have a flock of around twenty, the majority middle aged women like me. If they all laid eggs like they did when they were younger, I'd be begging people to take them.

Looking in their eyes, at their 'facial expression' is all I need to hail their not so distant ancestors. I have ducks and geese as well, and in geese especially it is easy to see the lumbering herbivores moving through the swamp. Well, my geese anyway. Herbivores have a very different 'look' in their eyes than the omnivores and carnivores in my life. (This isn't off topic, right?) They have a kind of placid contentment until they spot a source of high density energy foods (grains, my vegetable garden). They go a little insane around nutrition rich food as what's most available is grasses or brush, relatively low energy output for all the chewing and digestion it takes. Both goats and geese descend into a feeding ecstasy. They just glow, it must be a kind of herbivore's rapture.

Omnivores and carnivores have to outsmart their a lot of their food. Herbivores just have to wander by and remember where it is for next time(my goats NEVER forgot where I'd last hidden the oats).

I figure it is a mutually beneficial arrangement. I feed, shelter and protect the poultry folks and goats from predators. They even get human affection if they are they type that likes it. I then accept their eggs and milk for my consumption. It's called pets with benefits :D

I no longer want to eat the flesh of beings who value their lives, who's instincts are such that they defend or protect their lives. I don't care if that's vegan or vegetarian. Since my body has no choice but to eat other living things, at least I can eat things that don't try to run away from me. It's fortunate that we humans have developed tasty substitutes for animal flesh, that meet our nutritional requirements as omnivores.

This is just one more thing people get religious about, instead of deeply contemplating and experiencing the reality of what it means to eat flesh, how it's procured and produced, blah blah blah. If that is all there was to eat, I'd eat meat, unfortunately I find some of it rather tasty. Just thinking of a roast beef sandwich makes my mouth water. My body has no moral compass.
    BunksJeongjwa
  • matthewmartinmatthewmartin Amateur Bodhisattva Suburbs of Mt Meru Veteran
    As for the connection between Buddhism and v*nism, it occurs to me that there are several Buddhist/monastic themed vegetarian cookbooks, but I can't find any omnivore themed Buddhist cookbooks. So if or if not the buddha ate meat, if Buddhist eat meat, the community sure does seem to lean v*n if they lean any direction at all.
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    how said:

It's "enslavement" of the honey bees. Also, sometimes bees are killed in the collection of honey apparently.
    robot
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    When I tell people I am a Buddhist they seem surprised that I eat meat.

I worked with a Nepalese guy who was a Buddhist and he ate more meat than anyone I know!!
  • how said:

It's "enslavement" of the honey bees. Also, sometimes bees are killed in the collection of honey apparently.
    Clearly vegans haven't heard the expression "busy as a bee".
    Bees love to work. They live for it.
    lobsterChazInvincible_summer
  • With vegetarian/vegan diet it is easy to lose weight. But building muscle mass is not easy without meat - no veggie food can provide the protein required for muscle building.
    edited January 2014

how said:

Yes, that is correct. :) An animal is not considered less important just because it's small. The size of the animal being exploited does not matter. :)
    how said:

how said:

When those vegans give up vehicular travel in anything going over 20 miles an hour for the bug slaughter it creates, then I'll think that this is more about compassion than food ego.
    "Veganism is a way of living that seeks to exclude, as far as possible and practicable, all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for food, clothing and any other purpose."

It's quite easy, possible and practicable to not eat honey. The same can not be said about giving up vehicular travel. Not using honey, quite reasonable. Not using vehicular travel, not so reasonable. Also, "exploiting" and "accidental killing" are two very different things. :)
    betaboy said:

With vegetarian/vegan diet it is easy to lose weight. But building muscle mass is not easy without meat - no veggie food can provide the protein required for muscle building.

That is a common misconception but not actually true. That myth was debunked a long time ago. One of the biggest myths surrounding veg*anism are misconceptions about protein. This is one of them. :)

cvaluepyramidsongInvincible_summer
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    betaboy said:

With vegetarian/vegan diet it is easy to lose weight. But building muscle mass is not easy without meat - no veggie food can provide the protein required for muscle building.

Yes it can. I've been getting my protein from vegan sources exclusively and I'm not losing any mass. I'm not a body builder by any means but even some of them are vegan.

Whey protein powder and other vegan protein shakes help if one can't get enough from a meal.
    Invincible_summer
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited January 2014
    Oh no! Not the honey debate...hahahaa
    The only argument/nice-nasty/attitude I've seen go
    down at the monastery was over honey. Not the
    monks and nuns.......2 visitors. I'll admit....it
    surprised me. When an argument starts at a silent
    veggie lunch...you know people are looking and grabbing
    at views....hahaha
    I'm not vegan, I just go by the motto "no brain, no pain".

What if you get eggs from your own chickens like I do so you know they are being well looked after and are not going to be killed? A vegan would still be opposed to this even though there is nothing immoral about it.

I've speculated on what a no-kill animal farm would look like-- there are a few edge case examples in the real world:

- Iceland, down is collected from discarded feathers in the nests of wild birds.
    - India, I found a tin of condensed milk from a no-kill dairy. Admittedly, the story is that old cows are released to the street to become sometimes skinny, unhappy feral cows.
    - Wool, eggs, milk could be from a no kill farm, but the expenses would be huge, especially if you couldn't let the non producing animals go & become feral.
    - I've heard people speculate on harvesting farmed animals at point of natural death, but haven't seen examples in real life.
    - Salmon, this is "near-death" harvesting. The spawning salmon reach the end of the river, spawn and die. So harvesting them doesn't shorten their life by much.
    - Beached whales. Harvesting beached whales would also be near-death harvesting, but the story is killing the whale is really hard.

• betaboybetaboy Veteran
    edited January 2014
    ourself said:

betaboy said:

Yes it can. I've been getting my protein from vegan sources exclusively and I'm not losing any mass. I'm not a body builder by any means but even some of them are vegan.

Whey protein powder and other vegan protein shakes help if one can't get enough from a meal.
    Let's say you need 150g of protein per day. With strict veggie diet, you have to eat buckets of nuts, drinks gallons of milk to hit the requirement. This is physically impossible. Green veggies provide very little.
    betaboy said:

ourself said:

betaboy said:

Let's say you need 150g of protein per day. With strict veggie diet, you have to eat buckets of nuts, drinks gallons of milk to hit the requirement. This is physically impossible. Green veggies provide very little.
    False.

lobsterInvincible_summer
    betaboy said:

Yes, it's true that green veggies do not provide all that much protein per calorie. However, "green veggies" are only one of the four vegan food groups. Vegan bodybuilders eat much more variety than just green veggies and nuts. :)

Here is a sample vegan bodybuilding meal plan that exceeds your protein requirement by almost 40%. Getting only 150g of protein would be even easier. It's very far from being impossible. :)

Approximate totals for the day:
    3384 calories
    207g protein
    512g carbs
    75g fat

http://breakingmuscle.com/nutrition/how-to-build-muscle-mass-on-a-plant-based-diet

Does this guy look like he's lacking protein? ;)http://www.lowdensitylifestyle.com/media/uploads/2009/10/luiz-freitas-bodybuilder-vegetarian.jpg

matthewmartin
  • Good vegetarian and vegan food is delicious. It also seems much lighter on the system and overall healthier when balanced with an occasional roast chicken
    . . . oops . . . :o

When my sister comes over for lunch tomorrow, we will be eating the carcass of an innocent free range fowl. I would be quite happy to be vegan but why upset the family carnivores? I may ask if I can say a mantra for the chicken which bemuses everyone and the chicken does not seem to mind.

Too wikid?

Yes I feel free range lesbian marriage and non religious/fanatical veganism is mainstream and a wonderful choice for those involved.

:clap:
    HamsakaBunksDharmaMcBum
    betaboy said:

Omnivores eat a diet centered on meat, with some miscellaneous plant matter so they have enough fiber to poop. If you drop the meat and eat only miscellaneous fibrous matter (iceberg lettuce for example, 20 calories per head), you will starve to death. No one does that.

Vegetarians eat calorie dense foods-- vegetable oils, grains, beans (and tropical fruits like coconut, avocado). Beans, peas and peanuts are going to be your basic vegan protein sources, with milk & eggs for the vegetarian proteins.

If you lose weight on a v*n diet, it means you don't know how to cook, or you are a hunter gather in an extreme environment, like the arctic or a deserted island.
    how said:

When those vegans give up vehicular travel in anything going over 20 miles an hour for the bug slaughter it creates, then I'll think that this is more about compassion than food ego.

All potentially meritorious actions can be a motivator for arrogance. This seems like a poor excuse to give up on ethics or some subclass of ethics. In any case, at least in Chinese Mahayana (one of the few orthodoxly pro-vegetarian forms of Buddhism), its routine for people to dedicate all their merit earned to everyone else --doesn't matter if merit dedication doesn't have any basis in karmic reality, dedication of merit means giving up taking credit in the eyes of your peers for good works.

V*ns are more likely to put deer whistles on their cars, stop for dogs --and end up in the hospital when they get rammed by the car behind them-- happened to Aunt, although she isn't v*n.

Life involves a lot of killing-- mice in the fields during harvest, bugs get ground up into the orange juice, the farmers of nuts kill squirrels, taking medicine for parasites involves killing tape worms, renting apartments involves landlords who like to spread rodent and insect poisons. The point isn't to make it all premature death go away --although the Jains sure do try--, the point is to pragmatically minimize it, a process that evolves over time as we learn more about how to kill less.

lobsterrobot
  • seeker242 said:

betaboy said:

Yes, it's true that green veggies do not provide all that much protein per calorie. However, "green veggies" are only one of the four vegan food groups. Vegan bodybuilders eat much more variety than just green veggies and nuts. :)

Here is a sample vegan bodybuilding meal plan that exceeds your protein requirement by almost 40%. Getting only 150g of protein would be even easier. It's very far from being impossible. :)

Approximate totals for the day:
    3384 calories
    207g protein
    512g carbs
    75g fat

http://breakingmuscle.com/nutrition/how-to-build-muscle-mass-on-a-plant-based-diet

Does this guy look like he's lacking protein? ;)http://www.lowdensitylifestyle.com/media/uploads/2009/10/luiz-freitas-bodybuilder-vegetarian.jpg

*sighs*

This is possible if you have all the time and money in the world - then choosing different kinds of food will be possible, if not easy. Do you think the average guy going to work, living a busy life, has the time or resources to buy/cook these different varieties of food? Most of us are lucky to grab a quick bite and rush off.
    edited January 2014
    betaboy said:

Do you think the average guy going to work, living a busy life, has the time or resources to buy/cook these different varieties of food?

Of course. I'm an average busy guy and do that with no problems... And I'm not rich either. Most vegans, even poor ones, already do this... That is called "proper nutrition" :)

And if you are going to put time and effort into bodybuilding, all bodybuilders are already spending time and focus on what they eat as diet is important. No bodybuilder worth his salt just gets a quick bite of whatever and rushes off to begin with.

DavidBunks
  • Oh, one of those threads again....

I know people who get physically repulsed by meat and always have been. I also know people who, after a few days without meat, feel weak and their minds are clouded.

Here's a thought: what if not people are all the same? What if some people do well on vegan/vegetarian diets and some don't? For instance, most of us accept that some people have intercourse with those of the opposite gender and some with those of the same gender. Or that some people need constant socialization and some are loners. Or that for a blood transfusion to be safe the donor and the recepient need compatible blood types.

Why such a dualistic, black-and-white view on diets, then?

KundolobsterVastmindYik_Yis_Yii
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

All potentially meritorious actions can be a motivator for arrogance. This seems like a poor excuse to give up on ethics or some subclass of ethics. In any case, at least in Chinese Mahayana (one of the few orthodoxly pro-vegetarian forms of Buddhism), its routine for people to dedicate all their merit earned to everyone else --doesn't matter if merit dedication doesn't have any basis in karmic reality, dedication of merit means giving up taking credit in the eyes of your peers for good works.

V*ns are more likely to put deer whistles on their cars, stop for dogs --and end up in the hospital when they get rammed by the car behind them-- happened to Aunt, although she isn't v*n.

Life involves a lot of killing-- mice in the fields during harvest, bugs get ground up into the orange juice, the farmers of nuts kill squirrels, taking medicine for parasites involves killing tape worms, renting apartments involves landlords who like to spread rodent and insect poisons. The point isn't to make it all premature death go away --although the Jains sure do try--, the point is to pragmatically minimize it, a process that evolves over time as we learn more about how to kill les

@matthewmartin
    All of what you say is true. Been rehashed many times here at NB. I respect anyones attempt to minimize harm. My focus here though is on the suffering that results from attachments to ism's(Buddhism or veganism) which in my mind is just as harmful.
    I am not suggesting that Veganism isn't worthwhile, but often becomes an
    ego trap that veganism on its own, seems to think is OK.

shadowleaverKundolobster
  • @how said:
    My focus here though is on the suffering that results from attachments to ism's(Buddhism or veganism) which in my mind is just as harmful.
    I think people are attached more to a beef steak than to a carrot :)
    matthewmartinlobsterBunks
    @how
    I don't mind attachments to abstractions. In the battle between attachment to concrete things like hamburgers and attachments to rules that deny you an hamburger, I think I would rather suspect that I'm more attached to that hamburger than to that rule.

Anyhow, the whole attachments-to-rules/attachments-to-religion/attachments-to-buddhism thing is too close to antinomianism for my tastes.

Here's a thought: what if not people are all the same? What if some people do well on vegan/vegetarian diets and some don't? Why such a dualistic, black-and-white view on diets, then?

re: black and white
    This is the battle of strawmen, where we each misrepresent the other camps with extreme views so as to make it easier to be complacent (admittedly, I enjoy being a vegetarian, so my bias will be towards arguments that favor vegetarianism-- I hope in a fair fight I could be dissuaded if I were wrong).

Omnivores draw the line somewhere, sometimes only at eating their own species, sometimes only at eating their own species' brains (causes kuru). So omnivores are a sort of vegetarian-- the all-animals-but-humans sort. More are of the sort that don't mind eating animals as long as they don't have to do the butchering themselves.

Most vegetarians do conceded that at certain points in history and in certain geographic locales, there isn't anything to eat except other animals, cats do appear to be obligate carnivores and many more edge cases. If certain humans are obligate carnivores-- that's a question of science-- I haven't seen any serious attempts to say humans are obligate carnivores.

The vegetarian argument is that if almost no one occupies those edge case conditions of being an obligate vegetarian, a hunter gatherer in the arctic, etc, then you can really use that as an argument for complacency.

Omnivores are crappy vegetarian chefs though and by the way they try to feed me, they think I live on grass and tree leaves. The omnivore's stereotype of a vegetarian diet is enough to make anyone light headed and feel sick. Personally I think omnivores aren't very picky about what they eat, so naturally I'm surprised when they don't like the raw road kill I offer them, after all it's got iron and protein to fuel their special metabolisms and it was only the natural order that that animal should have been run over to feed someone.

cvalue
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

cvalue said:

@how said:

My focus here though is on the suffering that results from attachments to ism's(Buddhism or veganism) which in my mind is just as harmful.
    I think people are attached more to a beef steak than to a carrot :)@cvalue

I think we typically attach to whatever best supports our identities story
    line.
    KundoVastmindChaz
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    It doesn't have to be an either /or choice.
    For a Buddhist, it can be minimizing the un necessary suffering we create in our diet and life choices...AND......minimizing the un necessary suffering we create in clinging to our diet and life choices.
    It is just basic 4NT/8FP. Antinomianism is about exceptions to the rules where I am stating that sufferings cause makes no such exceptions..
    KundoDavid
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

betaboy said:

Omnivores eat a diet centered on meat, with some miscellaneous plant matter so they have enough fiber to poop. If you drop the meat and eat only miscellaneous fibrous matter (iceberg lettuce for example, 20 calories per head), you will starve to death. No one does that.

Vegetarians eat calorie dense foods-- vegetable oils, grains, beans (and tropical fruits like coconut, avocado). Beans, peas and peanuts are going to be your basic vegan protein sources, with milk & eggs for the vegetarian proteins.

If you lose weight on a v*n diet, it means you don't know how to cook, or you are a hunter gather in an extreme environment, like the arctic or a deserted island.
    how said:

Life involves a lot of killing-- mice in the fields during harvest, bugs get ground up into the orange juice, the farmers of nuts kill squirrels, taking medicine for parasites involves killing tape worms, renting apartments involves landlords who like to spread rodent and insect poisons. The point isn't to make it all premature death go away --although the Jains sure do try--, the point is to pragmatically minimize it, a process that evolves over time as we learn more about how to kill less.

Most arrogant generalisation ever.
    howmatthewmartin
    seeker242 said:

A vegan would still be opposed to this even though there is nothing immoral about it.

Not necessarily. It depends on where you got the chicken from to begin with and why. And what may or may not happen to it after it stops producing eggs. Also, some people just don't consider eggs to even be food to begin with so of course they would be opposed to eating something that isn't even food. :)
    Well it is food. Food is any edible nutritious substance.
  • seeker242 said:

I agree, but I have to admit that bears don't look like food to me. I do know plenty of people who enjoy eating them however.

seeker242 said:

Not necessarily. :) A human leg, cooked over a campfire, is an "edible nutritious substance" but very few people would consider it to be food!

• seeker242 said:

seeker242 said:

Not necessarily. :) A human leg, cooked over a campfire, is an "edible nutritious substance" but very few people would consider it to be food!

It might depend on the circumstances.
    I never thought of crickets as food till I ate one the other day. Now I think I could eat a bag of them like peanuts. Tasty but fiberous with all the legs and wings.
    Eggs are definetly food for me.
  • @how, I thought about what you said:
    I am not suggesting that Veganism isn't worthwhile, but often becomes an ego trap that veganism on its own, seems to think is OK.
    The idea that veganism can become an ego trap is new to me! I thought about this and I am sure that this is not the case for me and I will make sure it will never be in the future. What I am striving for is to become indifferent with food. We eat to live not live to eat. When I go to a party I don't let people know I am vegetarian because I don't want people to bother about me. I just pick the vegetables from the big plate. And if the host puts meat into my dish I would just close my eyes and eat it while apologizing to the animal.

My enthusiastic about spreading veganism is because I want to help saving lives. So if I can persuade people to eat less meat, then less animals are killed. It's not arrogant, I would like to say it's compassion, but at my current level now I can't say it's purely just compassion. Rather, it's my greed to do good to create good karma. I hope, one day I will get to the level where I just think of compassion alone without greediness for rewards.
    howlobsterBunks
    Because you want to be compassionate or because it is the compassionate thing to do.

cvalue
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    edited February 2014
    @betaboy (and others who are interested): this is a cool site about vegetarian and vegan athletes, essentially debunking the myth that veg*ns can't do anything but yoga cuz their bodies are too weak.

Well, that's not exactly the myth, but you get the idea.

http://www.nomeatathlete.com/

Also, there's a UFC fighter by the name of Mac Danzig who is a vegan. MMA isn't exactly a sport where you can skimp out on muscle building.
    lobstercvalue
  • Eat the chickens before they evolve . . .
    You have been warned . . . :o
    cvalueVastmindKundo
    edited February 2014
    robot said:

Of course some people consider them food because they eat them. What I was saying was that many vegans don't consider them food, therefore they don't eat them. They don't consider hamburgers to be food either. The vegan idea of what is food and what is not, is quite different than your average person. :)

• seeker242 said:

robot said:

Of course some people consider them food because they eat them. What I was saying was that many vegans don't consider them food, therefore they don't eat them. They don't consider hamburgers to be food either. The vegan idea of what is food and what is not, is quite different than your average person. :)

Yes. I know that. Bears aren't food for me, but eggs are.
    cvalueKundo
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    seeker242 said:

A human leg, cooked over a campfire, is an "edible nutritious substance" but very few people would consider it to be food!

It might be alright in a curry though... ;)

seeker242cvalue
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    betaboy said:

Let's say you need 150g of protein per day. With strict veggie diet, you have to eat buckets of nuts, drinks gallons of milk to hit the requirement. This is physically impossible.

Rubbish. If that were true all the veggies would have died off years ago. ;)
    cvaluelobstermatthewmartin