Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

2014: The Year of the Vegan

2»

Comments

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    These mad buggers ran a marathon a day around Australia eating only raw fruit and veggies....

http://www.runningrawaroundaustralia.com
    lobster
  • My question is, which veggie item provides bulk amounts of protein? So far no one is able to answer that. It is easy to say nuts have protein, beans have protein etc., but that's just general. Yes, nuts have protein, but at most one can eat maximum 20 nuts and that would give, well, 10g of protein. Meager. You may need 150g. So eating 25 different items every day is not feasible, one needs bulk amount of protein.
  • matthewmartinmatthewmartin Amateur Bodhisattva Suburbs of Mt Meru Veteran
    edited February 2014
    betaboy said:

My question is, which veggie item provides bulk amounts of protein? So far no one is able to answer that. It is easy to say nuts have protein, beans have protein etc., but that's just general. Yes, nuts have protein, but at most one can eat maximum 20 nuts and that would give, well, 10g of protein. Meager. You may need 150g. So eating 25 different items every day is not feasible, one needs bulk amount of protein.

You are asking a question of math and cooking. The answer is that 150g of protein is double what an athlete needs-- the extra will be burned as fuel.

Here is a link with two sample menus, neither of which include unusually large physical volumes of food:
    http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/protein.php

Omnivore weightlifters/body builders eat a lot of everything when they are bulking up, i.e. lots of calories. That means lots of food, i.e. eating double, triple of a non-athelete, often spread across twice as many meals-- and they get big and look obese until they go through the cardio phase to burn off the fat leaving freakishly large muscles.

So a vegan body builder would be doing the same thing, eating twice as much food, which for the sample menu puts you at 150 g of protein. Real life vegan body builders rely on things like peanuts, soy, vegetarians rely on egg whites.

(And meat ain't pure protein either-- most of it is 80% fat by calories and few argue that saturated fats and cholesterol fills the arteries)

• seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    betaboy said:

My question is, which veggie item provides bulk amounts of protein? So far no one is able to answer that. It is easy to say nuts have protein, beans have protein etc., but that's just general. Yes, nuts have protein, but at most one can eat maximum 20 nuts and that would give, well, 10g of protein. Meager. You may need 150g. So eating 25 different items every day is not feasible, one needs bulk amount of protein.

Sample Meal Plan

An example of what such a program would look like for our 200lb bodybuilder is:

Meal 1:
    1.5 cups oatmeal
    Protein shake with 1 serving of Plant Fusion, 1 cup soymilk, 1 banana

Meal 2:
    1/2 block of extra firm tofu, scrambled with spinach and peppers
    1 grapefruit
    1 almond butter sandwich: 2 slices of whole grain bread, 2 tbsp almond butter

Meal 3:
    Black bean chili with 1 can black beans, 1/2 pack seitan, and veggies
    1 baked sweet potato
    1/4 avocado

Meal 4 (post workout):
    1 apple
    Protein shake with 1.5 scoops SunWarrior protein, 1 cup soymilk, 1 banana

Meal 5:
    1 large spinach salad
    1/2 cup lentils, cooked with veggies and spices over 1/2 cup brown rice
    1/2 pound steamed broccoli

Meal 6:
    2 tbsp almond butter spread on celery sticks

Approximate totals for the day:
    3384 calories, 207g protein, 512g carbs, 75g fat

That exceeds your 150g protien requirement by nearly 40%. And it's only 3380 calories. This is entirely feasible for a bodybuilder.

cvaluematthewmartin
  • ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran
    seeker242 said:

seeker242 said:

A vegan would still be opposed to this even though there is nothing immoral about it.

Not necessarily. It depends on where you got the chicken from to begin with and why. And what may or may not happen to it after it stops producing eggs. Also, some people just don't consider eggs to even be food to begin with so of course they would be opposed to eating something that isn't even food. :)
    Well it is food. Food is any edible nutritious substance.
    Not necessarily. :) A human leg, cooked over a campfire, is an "edible nutritious substance" but very few people would consider it to be food!

If you were hungry enough you would ....

Kundo
  • Isn't soy bad for your health in large amounts?
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited February 2014
    robot said:

Isn't soy bad for your health in large amounts?

Isn't anything in large amounts?
    But boy you should read what the Cattleman's association says about soy in any quantity.
    David
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    edited February 2014
    betaboy said:

Bulk amounts of protein? You just eat large amounts of sources of protein then... and you listed a good one - beans.

Just having beans, brown rice, and peanut butter on whole grain bread will be chock full of protein.

You can also buy vegan protein powder if you really feel like you're lacking.

25 different items every day? Now you're just trolling.

Average people don't need that much protein anyway.
  • betaboy said:

Bulk amounts of protein? You just eat large amounts of sources of protein then... and you listed a good one - beans.

Just having beans, brown rice, and peanut butter on whole grain bread will be chock full of protein.

You can also buy vegan protein powder if you really feel like you're lacking.

25 different items every day? Now you're just trolling.

Average people don't need that much protein anyway.
    Did you see seeker's list? So many different kinds of food - you think a working man has the time to search for these?
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    robot said:

You could say that technically speaking. But one must first define what a "large amount" is. It's much larger than what many people think. For example, 10 pounds of tofu a day, would be a "large amount". However, nobody in their right mind eats 10 lbs of tofu a day!
    betaboy said:

Did you see seeker's list? So many different kinds of food - you think a working man has the time to search for these?

I am a working man. It takes me literally 20 minutes at the market to find all of that. "I don't have time" is a very poor excuse for a poor diet.

• anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    My Kids are Veggies (well ovolacto-veggies to be exact ) and they are thriving, are all very physically and mentally active, much to my annoyance.

They like beans and nuts, but they (and I) find it a bit boring boring. We use soy mince occasionally for a spag. bol, and loads of vegetable soups - cheap, and you can sneak a wide variety of vegetables in to it, to ensure they get a wide variety of vegetable proteins.

I keep trans-saturated fats out of the diet as much as possible, and they are all really lean, and also supplement their diet with omega 3 supplements (2 or 3 times a week - chewy capsules, that taste nice) and iron (extracted from fruit and herbs - tastes really nice as well and they see it a a treat - 10ml 2 or 3 times a week with a balanced diet seems to do the trick.

You don't need to eat meat, and provided I get my eggs, milk and cheese from responsibly farmed sources, I am comfortable about not being a vegan.

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    betaboy said:

It's all pretty much found at the same place and yes, there is plenty of time, lol.
    robot said:

As far as I know, it isn't a good idea to eat a lot of soy if you're taking thyroid medication as it helps to prevent its absorption. As far as the cancer question goes, we have some studies indicating it helps cancer and some indicating it could cause cancer. Especially for women though because it does something to estrogen which I don't really understand.

I like to go to snopes when the legitimacy of claims are unclear. Their take on it is here;

http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/soya.asp
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    betaboy said:

@betaboy -

Vegetarian sources of protein

Unless you live in a very rural area, most grocery stores should have all these things in easy reach.