Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Why are there suffering beings in the first place?

Why are we here? I understand that it is better to just take care of our problems and not obsess over our origin... I've done that for years. But I still ponder the question like "hold on we are all trying to overcome suffering so how did it all start? Where did sentient beings come from?"

Comments

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited March 2015

@ Jeffrey
    The Buddha, would say he taught of suffering's cause and the way to it's cessation
    and that your question was not part of any of that.

The problem with questions of our origins is that understanding the answer requires the transcendence of the dream that the Buddha exhorted us to awaken from.

In short..Our identity construct (the dream) is the fundamental denial of the truth that it's answer illuminates
    but..
    outside of that dream, the questioner no longer gives credence to the dream's reference points of self and other needed to ask such a question.

Catch 22....
    Hence the Buddha's answer.

EarthninjanamarupaZenshinHamsaka
  • namarupanamarupa Veteran
    edited March 2015

Why are we here?

Perhaps because of our good karma that we have done in a past life? It is perhaps a privilege to be human, because here we have the opportunity to become enlightened.

Earthninja
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

Oi dunno!

ZenshinBunks
  • You know, I think when our minds acquired the ability to ask that question, that's when we became conscious. "I am here. OK, why am I here?"

Davidvinlyn
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    I'm not so sure there has to be a purpose for our being but it sounds to me like the answer lies in the question.

How and why are we so attracted to the how and the why of things?

If we didn't suffer would we be content to just lie in the sun, eat and procreate?

I think we are explorers by our very nature with suffering less as our incentive.

That's just what I think now... That could change by the next time I'm asked to wonder about it.
    mfranzdorf
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

Get used to it!

The answer is 34.

Nuff said.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

No, it's 42. Surprised you didn't know that, @genkaku....

Cinorjer
  • Emptiness goes around comes around. We are here because of emptiness, we are gone from here also because of emptiness.
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

I think about it every so often What is the point of us living? Is there even a point? Does the fact we live and ponder all these points and then die mean anything at all? Sometimes, I'm not so sure. I think we want to be important, to have some grand thing we are working towards (enlightenment, heaven or whatever) to give our life meaning. But does it really? I'm not so sure we matter at all and maybe when it comes down to it that is part of the source of our suffering.

silvermfranzdorf
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

@federica -- Have you not consulted the Authentic Scroll of the Most Venerable Razzmatazz, blood kin of the Wonderful Wizard of Oz and the only true and unsullied guru of the universe?

Forsooth!!!!!!

Just a friendly reminder ... my relics can beat up your relics.

• We are here because we fail to see the things as they are, coming from ignorance it triggers a domino effect on karma, conscious, mental, senses, contact, feeling etc.
    Maybe there is no point, it just the way things are. causes and effects - now is the effect.

The good part is that impermanence works for us so nicely that we could learn to replace ignorance with wisdom, which is the source of reversing suffering.

• rohitrohit Maharrashtra Veteran

Due to ignorance and feeling of 'lacking something' is reason of worry and unhappiness.

edited March 2015

@genkaku said:
    federica -- Have you not consulted the Authentic Scroll of the Most Venerable Razzmatazz, blood kin of the Wonderful Wizard of Oz and the only true and unsullied guru of the universe?

Forsooth!!!!!!

Just a friendly reminder ... my relics can beat up your relics.

No, I subscribe to that Saner Lunatic (sadly-deceased yet libretically-immortal) Douglas Adams....The response was in his Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy Trilogy (4 Books in all)....

• @Jeffrey said:
    Why are we here? I understand that it is better to just take care of our problems and not obsess over our origin... I've done that for years. But I still ponder the question like "hold on we are all trying to overcome suffering so how did it all start? Where did sentient beings come from?"

Do you mean why does suffering exist in evolution (as something to avoid)? I see no reason why there should be reason behind evolution.

Where does sentience come from, again that is just a degree of complexity. Not really sure what you are asking?

• NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited March 2015

My Indians friends say that the question "Why" is really of Western origin. They say that the Orientals ask "How is it?" and not about the Why of things.

"Why" assumes that there is a rationality, or something measurable in something like discrete units; whereas "how" inquires along the ways and perhaps meandering byways of how things occur or do not occur: plus their many ramifications. Therefore, the "how" is the more utilitarian, objective, and dependable line of inquiry for the Oriental. (In other words, “Why” implies a Creator-God or something along those lines that made everything to follow a rather simple, but elegant rational plan or REASON.) The Buddhist, Jain, and Hindu inquire how to overcome difficulties, and not so much why (“How come?”) those difficulties are there in the first place. You solve one problem and two or three new ones are created by your remedy. That's the structure of the universe, but not the substance.

The “How” is the mechanistic underbelly of things, whereas the “Why” is the rationale. Theists, of course, believe that there is a [single] reason behind the universe, whereas the traditions of the orient and the Deists of the 18th century did not necessarily subscribe to this notion.

Nevertheless, Truth is not One, but Two.

Substance exists, and in that All are One. But structure, the great matrix, being dual, always sees Two, The “Why” concerns itself with the nondual Subject, the Substance; whereas the How concerns itself with the objective, dualistic processes of organization, development and decay of structures.

If there is any reason for suffering I would think it to be to bring us closer to the Unity, to make us more compassionate towards others through our growing understanding brought on by our experience of our own suffering. Our suffering is a garden for growing compassion if we tend it right.

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

"Why are there suffering beings in the first place?"

"Dependant Origination"

bookworm

@Shoshin said: "Why are there suffering beings in the first place?"

"Dependant Origination"

(DependEnt. A dependAnt is a person who relies upon you to provide for them).

I'm not a Pedent, I'm a Ped_a_nt. ;):D

edited March 2015

And there I was thinking I had spelt it right this time...Just goes to show, never trust your mind's thoughts they will deceive you every time .....

edited March 2015

No, you had spelt it correctly - it was merely the incorrect form. Spelling was fine. Can't fault the spelling. Excellent spelling. Top hole. (And thank you for using 'spelt' and not 'spelled' ... pesky Americans get everywhere!)

Your wellcum :)

BunksEarthninjalobster

AAAAAAAARGH!! :lol:

Cinorjerlobster
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran

This question reminds me of a conversation I had with my zen teacher.

Teacher: So, where do you come from?
    Me: I'm from New Jersey
    Teacher: No, that's where your body comes from, where do YOU come from?
    Me: Umm, I don't know.
    Teacher: Good answer!
    Me: Ok, my turn. So, where do you come from?
    Teacher: From the kitchen!
    Me: lol

Cinorjerpegembarasova
  • suffering is very real. it can be very prolonged thus becoming senseless. it can also exist when everything seems to be going your way. and it can have no explanation at-least no causation in this lifetime. and perhaps when you reach that spot you may start getting answers because you finally stop looking. you certainly have to go beyond the mind as we know it in the framework of current existence.

• Suffering is a sign that you're out of touch with the truth. Suffering is given to you that you might open your eyes to the truth, that you might understand that there's falsehood somewhere, just as physical pain is given to you so you will understand that there is disease or illness somewhere. Suffering points out that there is falsehood somewhere. Suffering occurs when you clash with reality. When your illusions clash with reality when your falsehoods clash with the truth, then you have suffering. Otherwise there is no suffering.

Anthony de Mello

Formerly, Anurādha, and also now, I only teach suffering and the ending of suffering.
    Anuradha Sutta

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited March 2015
    That sutta doesn't sound to authentic to me @Pegembara. There is an actual reason suffering was given to us just as physical pain is given to us?

That sounds like talk of creator deities.

Oops, that wasn't a sutta but an opinion piece, sorry about that. Still a bit sleepy
    ShockYourMoneyBuddha
  • Having learned very young in life that not being integrated, not living the truth and not living in reality is the first impediment to peace, I have come to realize, even after such rigorous pursuit, even to the point of oblivion and self denial, there exists suffering. And exploration and understanding of suffering requires one to go beyond the current state of being. Not all answers are available to us here in this realm. And for that one may need to deepen one's practice.
    Earthninjalobster
  • @pegembara said:
    Suffering is a sign that you're out of touch with the truth. Suffering is given to you that you might open your eyes to the truth, that you might understand that there's falsehood somewhere, just as physical pain is given to you so you will understand that there is disease or illness somewhere. Suffering points out that there is falsehood somewhere. Suffering occurs when you clash with reality. When your illusions clash with reality when your falsehoods clash with the truth, then you have suffering. Otherwise there is no suffering.

Anthony de Mello

Formerly, Anurādha, and also now, I only teach suffering and the ending of suffering.
    Anuradha Sutta

Doesn't seem true with disease. Do you have a disease because you are out of touch with the truth?

lobster
    edited March 2015
    @Jeffrey, I think we are supposed to make a distinction between suffering and pain from disease.

I think that will be hard for me if I develop something painful. It will be tough to train myself not to suffer when in great physical pain.
    vinlyn
  • PöljäPöljä Veteran
    edited March 2015

@federica said:
    (And thank you for using 'spelt' and not 'spelled' ... pesky Americans get everywhere! )

You do the same annoying mistakes frequently. For instance, you start a new sentence with a small initial letter. Why? In this case "pesky" starts a new sentence. And why there is a space after the exclamation mark?

edited March 2015

The three full stops are not full stops, they're elipses ... and appear within a sentence, therefore a capital P is not required.

Sometimes, putting a punctuation mark next to a bracket creates a smiley face.

However, it was a typographical error.
    Thanks for pointing it out!

(Corrected.)

• Does it then mean that only happiness is truth ? Not so either :) Anyways, few know the entire truth which means the backstory and the outlook. This means the majority will know suffering. The other way to look at it may be to look at suffering with compassion. And by this quality it will transform into understanding / reveal itself.