Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The nature of suffering

Liesl918Liesl918 Greenville, Ohio New

I recently have had to assist my parents as my mother made a difficult transition to a nursing home due to her need for skilled nursing care. Nothing aleves their suffering...not money, not medical treatments, not entertainment or even the kind attention of those who love them. Not even time together ewch day alleviates their aloneness and feelings of despair and hopelessness. It has made me come to know so deeply the truth that there are no external solutions to be found to despair. They are so deeply saddened to be apart from each other and the life they knew together for 65 years. It has made me spend a great deal of time contemplating the nature of attachment as the cause of all suffering. How do you allow yourself to experience love and devotion to another while resisting the attachments that inevitably cause dependence and heartache?

Nirvana

Comments

• Liesl918Liesl918 Greenville, Ohio New

Thank you so much. Your words bring me greater clarity, and yes, it is likely too late for my parents to benefit from HHDL's teachings, I fear, but as I move forward in my own relationships, it is helpful to focus on loving without attachment and finding refuge in the Path and in the companions I will find here in my journey! Thank you so much for your time in responding to my sad little post. :)

• WalkerWalker Veteran Veteran
    edited January 2016

Welcome to newbuddhist @Liesl918 Sorry to hear about the feelings that your parents are going through. Wow, 65 years is a long time. It's completely natural that they are going through this. When you've spent your life with someone, and had them there with you for that long... it would definitely make such a change in living arrangements difficult.

Is your dad still living in their home? I know that sometimes senior's lodges can make arrangements for adjoining suites for couples. Just wondering if that would be an option for them where you are. Your dad may or may not be able to get an adjoining suite because of the nursing care that your mom needs, but he may be able to get a suite in the same facility?

Shoshin
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

Welcome :) I'm sorry your parents are going through this, and that you are suffering with them. Despite our understanding of attachment and the suffering it brings, the vast majority of us (yes, even us introverts) are social beings. For me, the key to working on this has been not to be averse to attachment. Rather, I use my most attached, most loving relationships as examples of what to work towards as far as how I feel about others. Rather than try to detach from my husband or children, I look at other people (I try to anyhow) as if they were my husband and children. That way, rather than having a segregated love just for a handful of people, I can spread it to love everyone (longterm goal in progress, lol). It seems to me that is what HHDL and TNH do. They can be present with any person and experience that person's suffering as their own. They love everyone equally rather than with hold their love only for a few.

You can't change how your mom feels. I feel very sad for her,and for you and your family to see her that way. But you can use her love for your father as a marker to expand love in the rest of the world. If you can love more people strongly, then I think that helps with the hurt when a loved one passes. It's when we put all our eggs in one basket, so to speak, that the eggs get crushed when the basket falls.

Bunks
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran

This "despair," if that is what it truly is, is only a temporary phase. It will morph into something different and less traumatic, degree by degree. The shock of the present gives way to the adjustments that a loving heart no doubt will make.

True, your parents are deeply saddened to be apart from each other after 65 years together. And, true, attachment is the cause of formidable suffering —but only if one is attached to certain narrow results. But I daresay that true love knows no such narrow expectations.

How do you allow yourself to experience love and devotion to another while resisting the attachments that inevitably cause dependence and heartache?

Carry the word of Love with You: "Just give in to Love and live like each new day is the one that matters most. Because it does."

lobster
  • Even the Buddha's disciple were not spared from the pain of separation.

"Not so, Lord. When the Venerable Sariputta had his final passing away he did not take my portion of virtue... concentration... wisdom... deliverance, or my portion of the knowledge and vision of deliverance. But O Lord, the Venerable Sariputta has been to me a mentor, teacher, and instructor, one who rouses, inspires and gladdens, untiring in preaching Dhamma, a helper of his fellow monks. And we remember how vitalizing, enjoyable and helpful his Dhamma instruction was."

"Have I not taught you aforetime, Ananda, that it is the nature of all things near and dear to us that we must suffer separation from them, and be severed from them? Of that which is born, come to being, put together, and so is subject to dissolution, how should it be said that it should not depart? That, indeed, is not possible. It is, Ananda, as though from a mighty hardwood tree a large branch should break off, so has Sariputta now had his final passing away from this great and sound community of bhikkhus. Indeed, Ananda, of that which is born, come to being, put together, and so is subject to dissolution, how should it be said that it should not depart? This, indeed, is not possible.

"Therefore, Ananda, be ye an island unto yourself, a refuge unto yourself, seeking no external refuge; with the Teaching as your island, the Teaching your refuge, seeking no other refuge."

All that is born has to pass away. The good news is that the pain, sadness and anguish can also depart with time and care.

The important thing to ask is, "Am I crying for myself or for others?"

• @Liesl918 said:
    How do you allow yourself to experience love and devotion to another while resisting the attachments that inevitably cause dependence and heartache?

Good question, inspiring answers. <3

Love and devotion is not without a willing price. The price of giving may initially be interwoven with an entangled situation.

However it can lead to the expression of friendliness, universal care, love, metta etc. towards an increasing and widening unfoldment.

The dervish bodhis say it simply and best:
    'increase in Love'

Don't worry about the price. Love is best served unconditionally ....

howyagrWalkerVastmind
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@pegembara said:.....The important thing to ask is, "Am I crying for myself or for others?"

That's not 'the important thing to ask'.

Not during the most difficult time.
    It's not helpful to suggest that a person ion mourning considers their tears selfish, at a time when they most need comfort.
    That's a bit like the twin arrow teaching.
    The person is already in pain. No need to press down on the other arrow to push the point home.

• pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited January 2016

@federica said:

@pegembara said:.....The important thing to ask is, "Am I crying for myself or for others?"

That's not 'the important thing to ask'.

Not during the most difficult time.
    It's not helpful to suggest that a person ion mourning considers their tears selfish, at a time when they most need comfort.
    That's a bit like the twin arrow teaching.
    The person is already in pain. No need to press down on the other arrow to push the point home.

If you want to get out of suffering, that is the question that you have to eventually ask. For whom am I shedding the tears? And no. I don't consider crying at loss as "selfish". That is what being human means, being shaken by the worldly winds (gain/loss, fame/disrepute). Giving comfort has its place but it isn't the sublime dhamma. No amount of sympathy will take out the arrow. It is like putting balm on the wound while leaving the arrow in.

The twin arrow is precisely for use in this situation.

"Now, the well-instructed disciple of the noble ones, when touched with a feeling of pain, does not sorrow, grieve, or lament, does not beat his breast or become distraught. So he feels one pain: physical, but not mental. Just as if they were to shoot a man with an arrow and, right afterward, did not shoot him with another one, so that he would feel the pain of only one arrow. In the same way, when touched with a feeling of pain, the well-instructed disciple of the noble ones does not sorrow, grieve, or lament, does not beat his breast or become distraught. He feels one pain: physical, but not mental."

Shoshin
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

My point is that timing is everything.
    You have to pick your moment to impart the lesson.
    While I agree with the sentiment, or question, there is an appropriate, and an unskilful time to ask it.

lobsterpegembara
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@pegembara said: The important thing to ask is, "Am I crying for myself or for others?"

Often both. But what of it?

edited January 2016

@SpinyNorman said:

@pegembara said: The important thing to ask is, "Am I crying for myself or for others?"

Often both. But what of it?

You need to take out the mental arrow and not say "so what?". So the choice is to apply some medicine to the wound or pull out the arrow. The medicine is only a temporary measure.

edited January 2016

But taking out the mental arrow is not an act of will, it's a result of practice and insight. It's like telling somebody who is depressed to "snap out of it".

lobster
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran

@Liesl918 said:
    I recently have had to assist my parents as my mother made a difficult transition to a nursing home due to her need for skilled nursing care... It has made me come to know so deeply the truth that there are no external solutions to be found to despair. They are so deeply saddened to be apart from each other and the life they knew together for 65 years. It has made me spend a great deal of time contemplating the nature of attachment as the cause of all suffering.

I think, though, that we must draw a line of distinction between attachment to people (or animals) and attachment to things. One simply cannot root out from his or her heart the moral compass that other beings impart to us. Emotions are very tricky and the part that our loved ones play in our lives are heavy laden with meanings full of rich nuances. Our memories —the very stuff of mindfulness— of these loved ones permeate us to the core. I am reminded of TNH's analogy of clouds:

"You are like a cloud. Your nature is the nature of no birth and no death. Being afraid of dying is not right thinking, because nothing can pass from being into non-being. Nothing can pass from non-being into being...
    "What we call 'me,' 'myself,' is like [that too]. We are also a flower. Each of us is a flower in the garden of humanity, and each flower is beautiful. BUT we have to look into ourselves and recognize the fact that we are made only of non-us elements. If we remove all the non-us elements, we cannot continue. We are made of parents, teachers, food, culture, everything. If we remove all of that, there is no us left."

—from The Mindfulness Bell, pg 5f, Dharma Talks Winter/Spring 2012

We are attached to our loved ones and our Teachers because we have them in our innermost parts.

And that can be a very good thing, Indeed!

lobsterVastmind
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

"The nature of suffering"

To grieve for a loved one is natural in most cultures " the medicine"....Sadly so is its cousin self-pity "the poison" which can often be mistaken for grief... A medicine? or poison ?...It all depends upon the dose!

"Grief is a multifaceted response to loss, particularly to the loss of someone or something that has died, to which a bond or affection was formed. Although conventionally focused on the emotional response to loss, it also has physical, cognitive, behavioral, social, and philosophical dimensions"

"Self-pity is the psychological state of mind of an individual in perceived adverse situations who has not accepted the situation and does not have the confidence nor competence to cope with it. It is characterized by a person's belief that he or she is the victim of unfortunate circumstances or events and is therefore deserving of condolence. Self-pity is generally regarded as a negative emotion in that it does not generally help deal with adverse situations. However, in a social context, it may result in either the offering of sympathy or advice. Self-pity may be considered normal, and in certain circumstances healthy, so long as it is transitory and leads to either acceptance or a determination to change the situation."

I guess they are both Dukkha.....

If it's any consolation

pegembara
    edited January 2016

@SpinyNorman said:
    But taking out the mental arrow is not an act of will, it's a result of practice and insight. It's like telling somebody who is depressed to "snap out of it".

That is why you use the medicine to apply to the arrow wound. But you still need to take out the arrow when you have the chance. Many of us don't even bother or are unable to take the arrow out.

.... this world is smothered & enveloped like a tangled skein, a knotted ball of string, like matted rushes and reeds, and does not go beyond

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an04/an04.199.than.html

If you let go a little, you will have a little happiness. If you let go a lot, ... And if you let go completely, you will be completely happy. – Ajahn Chah.

"I love you so much and will miss you" is dukkha.

EarthninjaShoshin
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited January 2016

Bring it on :p

It is? Tee Hee.
    Think of it more like this perhaps:

Love hurts. It is an acceptable pain.
    Being without Love is Dukka. It is acceptable.
    Whatever arises has experiential qualities. No big deal no matter the intensity.

I love it when a plan comes together.
    Hannibal Smith

... however No big deal takes Buddhist practice and it is not appropriate to mention when people are grieving, in love etc.

Sorry :3

@Liesl918 said:
    ... finding refuge in the Path and in the companions I will find here in my journey! Thank you so much for your time in responding to my sad little post. <3

You are welcome here. Welcome to First Class travel with us sad little Buddhists.
    "Buckle up your seatbelt, Dorothy, ' cause Kansas is going bye bye"
    ...Cipher in The Matrix

@pegembara said:

No, it isn't.

"I love you so much that I can't let you go"

• is dukkha.
    lobsterWalker
    edited January 2016

You are half correct ).

I love you so much - no dukkha
    I will miss you - dukkha

"What do you think: If Ciravasi's mother were to be murdered or imprisoned or fined or censured, would you feel sorrow, lamentation, pain, distress, & despair?"

"Lord, if Ciravasi's mother were to be murdered or imprisoned or fined or censured, my very life would be altered. So how could I not feel sorrow, lamentation, pain, distress, & despair?"

"Thus, headman, by this line of reasoning it may be realized how stress, when arising, arises: All of it has desire as its root, has desire as its cause — for desire is the cause of stress

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn42/sn42.011.than.html

There is a whole world of a difference between the Buddha's love and that of a worldling. I just hope you can see the difference.

You say, ''Don't break my glass!'' Can you prevent something that's breakable from breaking? If it doesn't break now it will break later on. If you don't break it, someone else will. If someone else doesn't break it, one of the chickens will! The Buddha says to accept this. He penetrated the truth of these things, seeing that this glass is already broken. Whenever you use this glass you should reflect that it's already broken. Do you understand this? The Buddha's understanding was like this. He saw the broken glass within the unbroken one. Whenever its time is up it will break. Develop this kind of understanding. Use the glass, look after it, until when, one day, it slips out of your hand... ''Smash!''... no problem. Why is there no problem? Because you saw its brokenness before it broke!

https://www.ajahnchah.org/book/Still_Flowing_Water1.php

ShoshinNirvanalobster
    edited January 2016

@Pegembara "I will miss you" is not dukkha.
    You can miss someone and let them go at the same time. One need not necessarily suffer due to missing the absence of another. It's a statement of fact. "Just 'Be' "

HHDL 'misses' his mother, but has no attachment to the angst or distress of her absence. He simply misses her, but hey, ~shrug~, what can you do...?

"I can't let you go" is dukkha. The inability to come to terms with the absence of another.
    I've seen it plenty of times, both on a Relationships forum I frequent (Try telling those in acute emotional pain, it's 'dukkha'! Black eye alert!) and in real life.
    It's actually very close to home.
    My mother's sorrow is palpable.

I think I need to have another word with her.
    Gently, Compassionately.... but another word may be timely, soon. <3

pegembaralobster
  • @Liesl918 said:
    I recently have had to assist my parents as my mother made a difficult transition to a nursing home due to her need for skilled nursing care. Nothing aleves their suffering...not money, not medical treatments, not entertainment or even the kind attention of those who love them. Not even time together ewch day alleviates their aloneness and feelings of despair and hopelessness. It has made me come to know so deeply the truth that there are no external solutions to be found to despair. They are so deeply saddened to be apart from each other and the life they knew together for 65 years. It has made me spend a great deal of time contemplating the nature of attachment as the cause of all suffering. How do you allow yourself to experience love and devotion to another while resisting the attachments that inevitably cause dependence and heartache?

We are creatures of emotion. We feel loss and we feel suffering. It is a natural part of life, of living. To feel love and devotion to another and not have the pain of separation would be to deny one's humanness - one's humanity. It is in not letting that pain and suffering be your life (control your life) that enables you rise above it.

Even the Buddha had to endure great pain and loss. It did not, however, consume him. He showed the correct attitude and action by his example. He went through the pain and loss but rather than be consumed by or attached to it, he rose above it.

Granted, my wording is a little rough around the edges; but I hope it was, nonetheless helpful.

Peace to all

lobster

^^^ that's exactly what I am trying to convey to @pegembara .... ^^^

• Well said @Lionduck
    ... from the misquoted spiderman: 'With great emotion, comes great responsibility'

Most people (mentioning no names but practically everyone) confuse thinking with emotions.

Visceral body based thinking is painful, confusing and the cause of much conflict when not tempered with wisdom, discipline and restraint ...

We of a dharmic persuasion, sit with these emotional arisings NOT to suppress them but to expose them.

In the exposure, their nature is revealed and subsides to be replaced by more subtle, refined if you prefer, emotions.

Increase in Love - it's the wise Mahayana arising to cultivate ... just a better raft of possibilities ...

silver
    edited January 2016

@lobster said: We of a dharmic persuasion, sit with these emotional arisings NOT to suppress them but to expose them.

It's clear from the 1st Noble Truth that suffering has to be understood, and that involves being able to look at it carefully and objectively. Not an easy thing to do, though paradoxically the looking often seems to defuse it. The power of mindfulness.

lobstersilver
  • JohnMacJohnMac Dr Scotland Veteran

It is in how we deal with the raw pain of emotion that counts I think. Especially when we witness it applied to those close to us. We feel, we think, we reflect and analyse and use the experience to grow, a living meditation perhaps, the noble truths illuminated by our loved ones. Poignant and profound.

Shoshinlobster
    edited January 2016

@Lionduck said:

We are creatures of emotion. We feel loss and we feel suffering. It is a natural part of life, of living. To feel love and devotion to another and not have the pain of separation would be to deny one's humanness - one's humanity. It is in not letting that pain and suffering be your life (control your life) that enables you rise above it.

That is what being human means. To be subject to the worldly winds.

Even the Buddha had to endure great pain and loss. It did not, however, consume him. He showed the correct attitude and action by his example. He went through the pain and loss but rather than be consumed by or attached to it, he rose above it.

How does one transcend dukkha exactly? By enduring it? Life is suffering - just bear with it until it is overcome? Isn't better to find out why we suffer and be truly free?

Always mindful, Mogharaja,
    regard the world as
    empty,
    having removed any view
    in terms of self.
    This way
    one is above and beyond death.
    One who regards the world
    in this way
    isn't seen by Death's King.
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/kn/snp/snp.5.15.than.html

Long have you thus experienced stress, experienced pain, experienced loss, swelling the cemeteries — enough to become disenchanted with all fabricated things, enough to become dispassionate, enough to be released."

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn15/sn15.003.than.html

Metta

• Life is both suffering and joy. We do not simply endure suffering. We have the capacity to turn enrich our lives through both the inevitable suffering and joy. Everything is a source of growth and gain in life. The losses of my parents, of my son and of my brother were indeed painful. The also became the opportunities to celebrate their lives and mine with them. They also enabled me to better engage with and even help other who have and are suffering from their losses.
    I am able to help them elevate their lives and and elevate mine because I already experienced, endured if you will, my losses and grew stronger from them.

Peace to all

lobsterpegembara
    edited January 2016

@Lionduck said:
    Life is both suffering and joy. We do not simply endure suffering. We have the capacity to turn enrich our lives through both the inevitable suffering and joy. Everything is a source of growth and gain in life. The losses of my parents, of my son and of my brother were indeed painful. The also became the opportunities to celebrate their lives and mine with them. They also enabled me to better engage with and even help other who have and are suffering from their losses.
    I am able to help them elevate their lives and and elevate mine because I already experienced, endured if you will, my losses and grew stronger from them.

Peace to all

I understand what you are getting at and don't disagree with what you are saying. It is indeed a valid approach to overcome adversity and help others do so.

Since this is a Buddhist forum, what I am saying is that there is a way to uproot the mental arrow completely. The Buddha didn't need to endure great pain and loss anymore because he had the mental arrow removed.

Suffering is a wonderful teacher and for most people their only spiritual teacher. Suffering deepens you. Most of our suffering is self-created. It is created out of an interpretation of and resistance to what is. It comes from a thought, an interpretation, not a situation. You need suffering to come to a point of realization that you do not need to suffer any more. Only when you’ve had enough suffering are you able to say: “I don’t need this anymore – there is another way to live. I will no longer mentally argue with what is.” That’s the end of self-inflicted suffering. And, if you no longer inflict suffering on yourself, then you will also no longer inflict suffering on others – because the two go together.

Eckhart Tolle

It is the nature of a human being to get suffering and happiness in roughly equal proportions. If we're suffering now, it's because of some happiness that we had before and lost. Happiness is no more than the end of suffering, just as suffering is no more than the end of happiness. We go around in this cycle throughout our lives.

http://www.dhammaloka.org.au/articles/item/1189-joy-at-last-to-know-there-is-no-happiness-in-the-world.html

Metta

lobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited January 2016

Well said @pegembara - the Middle Way. <3

Up and down is just life. Being up-beat when down and cautious and appreciative when up ...
    I get's it. Iz plan! You have a better plan? Share! o:)

• Now for some steaming hot cocoa! B)

• upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited January 2016

@SpinyNorman said:

It's clear from the 1st Noble Truth that suffering has to be understood, and that involves being able to look at it carefully and objectively.

try to see the difference between 'five aggregates' and 'five aggregates of clinging'

arising and falling five aggregates do not bring suffering
    clinging to 'five aggregates' bring suffering

what are the 'five'?

form, feeling, ...etc.

so in this case we are cling to 'loved ones', namely form (and feeling..etc. arise and fall simultaneously)

there for we suffer

how True is Buddha's Teaching

@pegembara said:

Eckhart Tolle

does Tolle believe in Buddha's Teaching?
    does he mention about Buddha's Teaching ?

i just like to know, thanks

• @upekka said:

does Tolle believe in Buddha's Teaching?
    does he mention about Buddha's Teaching ?

Not sure but he was quoted as saying:

"All that arises passes away."
    Sabbe sankhara anicca

Google it.

Tolle doesn't define himself as belonging to any particular calling, but admits that the majority of his thoughts run close and parallel with Buddhism....

lobster

@upekka said: try to see the difference between 'five aggregates' and 'five aggregates of clinging'
    arising and falling five aggregates do not bring suffering
    clinging to 'five aggregates' bring suffering

Yes, the five aggregates of clinging are dukkha. We need to coat them with teflon and make them non-stick. ;)

lobster
  • Teflon + arisings. Tee hee. Cornetto for @SpinyNorman <3