Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhist Shrines (Shrines at Home)

BenjaminBenjamin England Explorer

Due to the lack of available space i have, I have a small Buddhist shrine in my room with contents such as a framed picture of the Buddha with prayer beads hanging from it, a normal size incense burner, a small one in the shape of a hand (Buddha's hand?), beads, an image of Thich Naht Hanh - I view him as a teacher, offering(s) of water, my prayer beads I wear daily and a couple of candles, an ornament of the buddha sat on a fabric prayer mat and a stack of white rocks to represent a stupa.

What's yours like? Any pictures? (I will try and upload a picture of mine if i know how to)

Comments

• FosdickFosdick in its eye are mirrored far off mountains Alaska, USA Veteran

This is what passes for my Buddha space, a corner of my studio that I can see when I sit down to paint or draw.

silverRuddyDuck9herberto
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

Many moons ago when I lived in a Triratna community in London we used a gas fire as a shrine. It was a cold house mind you. :p

Benjamin
  • ShimShim Veteran
    edited July 2016

I know the cloth is wrinkly, I can't help it!

silverRuddyDuck9herbertoBunks
  • Wonder if anyone has a shrine that is like a diorama as well. That would be interesting.

• lobsterlobster Veteran

To leave a shrine image, click on the last symbol above the 'Leave a Comment' box

I keep my shrine at the bottom of that cup/mug. Sometimes it is under the spoon.

David
    edited July 2016

@Shim said: I know the cloth is wrinkly, I can't help it!

I know, I've had awful problems with wrinkly clothes on shrines! :p

Reminds me of that awful joke about the Irishman who fell out of the window ironing his curtains.

herberto
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited July 2016

My phone sucks so you may not be able to see it very well.

The space below needs tidying, I know.

@David said:> The space below needs tidying, I know.

Hang a cloth over it, quick! :p

DavidRuddyDuck9
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited July 2016

@SpinyNorman said:

@David said:> The space below needs tidying, I know.

Hang a cloth over it, quick! :p

That's a double-insightful for sure but the whole thing's being moved in a few days anyhow.

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

You guys are inspiring me... And actually I have been thinking about Thich Nhat Hanh's talk about respecting the ancestors as well, and having a place in one's house dedicated to speaking with the ancestors. From the point of view of interbeing it makes sense, ones ancestors are in a way still within one, and there is a good sense in greeting them and connecting with them.

Carlita
  • CarlitaCarlita Bastian please! Save us! United States Veteran

@Benjamin said:
    Due to the lack of available space i have, I have a small Buddhist shrine in my room with contents such as a framed picture of the Buddha with prayer beads hanging from it, a normal size incense burner, a small one in the shape of a hand (Buddha's hand?), beads, an image of Thich Naht Hanh - I view him as a teacher, offering(s) of water, my prayer beads I wear daily and a couple of candles, an ornament of the buddha sat on a fabric prayer mat and a stack of white rocks to represent a stupa.

What's yours like? Any pictures? (I will try and upload a picture of mine if i know how to)

I thought I'd share my altar. The cabinet is closed so the Dharma won't be exposed unless chanting or meditating etc. The water we have (well, it evaporated) is life and the evergreen is said to represent the flowers shrew on The Buddha's feet of his disciples. I offer wine to my ancestors and recently deceased and food to both my them and The Buddha-Dharma. You see on the right The Buddha statue. Not very pretty as I've seen in the posts here and one's in old threads. He holds water too.

The only thing that's private is the Dharma/Gohonzon. I'm pretty expressive with my faith. I guess it's another way if disattaching ourselves from ego "this is mine." Something I picked up in my Zen practicing days.

Interestingly enough, my Catholic friend gave me a gift. Out of all gifts, she gives me a cute statue of The Buddha. She, for that small moment, got out of her comfort zone. She kind of kept one foot in when she got it blessed by the priest. I wonder how I should take that?

KundoShimRuddyDuck9Benjamin
  • RuddyDuck9RuddyDuck9 MD, USA Veteran

@Kerome said:
    You guys are inspiring me... And actually I have been thinking about Thich Nhat Hanh's talk about respecting the ancestors as well, and having a place in one's house dedicated to speaking with the ancestors. From the point of view of interbeing it makes sense, ones ancestors are in a way still within one, and there is a good sense in greeting them and connecting with them.

Wdnesday July 13th is ancestor's day in usa. (...i think...according to my calculations) I have a hard time speaking to mine, though, because #1 some of them were ick (like kkk, blegh! :confounded: ) and #2 if they all jumped into another incarnation....then I could already be speaking to them every day, for all I know. Is ancestry really that important in a practice which sees us as so impermanent?

@Carlita I never refuse a blessing. positivity is great, no matter what faith it comes from... plus, he's so cute!!

lobsterShimshep83
  • ShimShim Veteran

@Carlita if the priest had no problems with blessing a Buddha, then why should you? :-)
    btw, that pic with you and the buddha is great!

RuddyDuck9Carlita
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Lovely shrines guys. <3

I usually sit on my shrine aka Mr Cushion. I believe I am a shrine. o:) Tsk, tsk so naughty ...
    http://opcoa.st/0Y6S2

However there are other ways to focus and celebrate.
    This is my Bodhi and this is my (dharma) blood. As the Lama said to the Catholic ...

Tantra is strange as it breaks the bonds between sacred and profane ...

RuddyDuck9Jeroen
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran
    edited July 2016

@lobster said:
    As the Lama said to the Catholic ...

Surely you mean "as the llama said to the Catholic".... Badda-bhoosh...

• ShimShim Veteran

The Catholic sure worships Bast.

:awesome:

I had no idea @Shim

• CarlitaCarlita Bastian please! Save us! United States Veteran

@Shim said:
    @Carlita if the priest had no problems with blessing a Buddha, then why should you? :-)
    btw, that pic with you and the buddha is great!

She had it in her bag. The priest wouldnt bless the statue. Its a light question. Thought it was interesting she told me that. Buddha blessed by god. Interesting.