Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@newbuddhist.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take up to 48 hours. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Four Foundations of Awareness + Three Chracteristics

BunksBunks Australia Veteran

The Blessed Buddha once said, "Friends, this is the only way to the mental purification of beings, the path to Nibbana."
1. Seeing the BODY (and all bodies) as merely transient, filthy and foul frames. Not me or mine.
2. Awareness of FEELINGS just as annoying, temporary emotional responses. Not me or mine.
3. Awareness of MIND only as habituated and temporary moods. Can almost set my clock to them. Coming and going. Not me or mine.
4. Awareness of all PHENOMENA simply as constructed and momentary mental states. Not me or mine. Not existing out there separately from the mind.

RojehoJeffreyShoshinpaulyso

Comments

• RojehoRojeho CT Explorer
    edited September 10

@Bunks I'm finding you become so much more aware of these states with practice. I am still in awe of the Buddha's teachings and the impact of this discovery as a way out. Thanks for posting that.

Bunkskando
  • Bravo @Bunks <3

refuge of the mind/intellect (where we start)
    knowing refuge of The Heart (where we continue)

Swimming in Nibbana/Nirvana/Buddha Nurture (stream entrants dive in) o:)

We get soft, fluid, water residents, drowners ...

• kandokando northern Ireland Veteran

@Bunks said:
    It's so true @Rojeho - I sat in front of my little Buddha statue last night and looked at him and just kept saying "Thank you, thank you, thank you..." over and over again.

And I really meant it.

Don't know where I'd be if I hadn't discovered this extraordinary man and what he shared with us!

Gratitude and love all the way! Thank you for this @Bunks <3

Bunks
  • paulysopaulyso usa Veteran

gorgious sculpture art.

• What is the 'three characteristics'? Did I miss seeing it?

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Good question @Jeffrey - it's embedded within each of the four without being spelt out e.g.
    1. Seeing the BODY (and all bodies) as merely transient (anicca), filthy and foul frames (dukkha). Not me or mine (anattā).

Jeffrey