Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Dissing Buddhism

MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
edited February 2011 in Buddhism Today
http://www.slate.com/id/2078486/

This man goes on to say that Buddhism is no better than Catholicism, claiming that all Buddhists believe in literal reincarnation and it is a purely faith based religion. He also goes on to claim that meditation worsens a persons anxiety and such and produces no helpful after effects. He claims that Buddhism will make people unhappy and other (IMO) ridiculous things.

Comments?

Comments

• If done wrong meditation can have harmful effects, if misunderstood Buddhism even has a chance to be more bad then good.

But if done properly Buddhism can be helpful and good, I suppose the same could be said about Catholicism. We mustn't blame him if he doesn't have the full picture.
  • The article (citing neurologist and Buddhist James Austin) says that meditation will increase anxiety in "certain people", not across the board. We've had 2-3 members in the last month or two post that meditation causes them anxiety. It's not for everyone. But that doesn't mean we should all give it up. And the author's wrong, I think, in saying that meditation doesn't calm the nervous system any more than sitting still does. If that were true, doctors and nurses wouldn't teach meditation as the "relaxation response". It's been proven scientifically that the breathing technique used for meditation has a physiological effect that calms the nervous system.
  • Science has not proven that we arrived by sheer happenstance. Science cannot disprove God or reincarnation. Does science relieve suffering? Do nuclear bombs, dynamite, and agent orange relieve suffering? Not that the gun is responsible for violence. But buddhism works on the heart to have it let go of anger and greed and align with a wish for happiness. He is wrong that the quest for truth is at odds with the quest for happiness. He is at an intellectual understanding only which understandably is not satisfying and does not relieve suffering.
  • Mr_SerenityMr_Serenity Veteran
    edited February 2011
    Why do people go to therapy? To learn how to lessen their suffering by changing their thinking, by introducing more positive, half cup is full outlooks into their life. These are mental applications to reduce ones suffering. I look at Buddhism the same way, rather than a religion. I throw away anything that doesn't make sense for me personally. I don't study Buddhism for the rules. I study it to improve my way of thinking, and my compassion for myself and for others. Religion is about rules that maybe by being faithful you will earn a magical reward. Why would you have faith in someone you do not know? It's supernatural theory with no merit, because you do not completely know that other side till you're there.

Even the thought of obtaining enlightenment to me is a bit nonsensical. With humans anger can happen, pain can happen, grief can happen. People who are close to enlightened are probably weak in other areas, such as maybe they gave up their ability to make a family due to being celibate, or they are very poor financially and thus came the humility. There is a price for everything. Enlightenment being the highest possible mental state is probably as real as Jesus being a son of god was real.

Buddhism is still helpful without the religious faith and rules, because it does not have to be about "seeking for greater". But rather just doing what works and what helps for the now and near future, the aim of being practical. That is something most religions don't think about, what is practical and what is most likely. Buddhism seems to really be able to do that for at least some of its sectors.
  • I am sure you all know that disproving Christianity is the thing to do nowadays, especially on the internet. If you go after Islam or Judaism you get double the point. Now you get a 10x bonus for going after Buddhism. It's sort of an e-ego thing. If "TheAmazingAtheist" did it, then every other person obsessed with attacking religion has to do it. As Buddhism becomes more and more widespread, so will the criticism of it... that's just how these things work.

It's kind of like that with anything that becomes more talked about.
  • While I think he was a bit scathing,he simply experienced the Dharma and found it was not for him. I wish him luck in finding whatever path he needs to find.

The only thing he was incorrect on, as many here have pointed out, that there is proof that meditation does have a physical effect on the human body. While it is not for everyone, like all practices, more often than not, it is positive for a person to meditate.
  • MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    edited February 2011
    Oh, trust me, I love the TheAmazingAtheist. I watch him every time he makes a new video, I bought his book, bought tickets to a live show. Hell, even my girlfriend likes watching him. Though, I know for a fact that he does not know much about Buddhism. Or, he knows only the bare minimum and is getting the wrong idea from it. He's made videos in the past which are very similar to the article that I posted above.
  • Almost all Atheist I know tend to be very straight edge, some what cold people full of ego. Not very pleasant, and not at all spiritual. So I think being a hardcore Atheist is actually same as religion. They're "sure" of it. That is fundamentalist religious thinking. Instead Agnostic and Buddhist thinking is middle way, and seems to be the most compassionate way.
  • MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    edited February 2011
    Almost all Atheist I know tend to be very straight edge, some what cold people full of ego. Not very pleasant, and not at all spiritual. So I think being a hardcore Atheist is actually same as religion. They're "sure" of it. That is fundamentalist religious thinking. Instead Agnostic and Buddhist thinking is middle way, and seems to be the most compassionate way.
    Many Atheists that I know are either very stupid or very-ignorant and closed minded. Though, the vast majority of Atheists that I know are actually Agnostics (Or Agnostic-Atheists to be exact). They don't believe in any kind of God, yet they don't deny the fact that one could exist.
  • It seems Mr. Horgan has misperceived every basic tenet of Buddhist thought in presenting his critique. His examples exhibit a wide spectrum of ignorance about Buddhism and are probably largely influenced by his former indoctrination and unshouldering of Roman Catholicism. This is one of the biggest problems among both Buddhism's adherents and opponents - the misunderstanding of concepts such as emptiness and selflessness and non-duality - against a backdrop of Judeo-Christian logic, morals and ethics. As Tekchef points out, Buddhism is just not his cup of tea. And Buddhists don't mind about that - even HHDL says it is not for everyone - in fact he encourages the spiritually minded to pursue their own indigenous faiths and practices - rather than Buddhism if their intention is less than genuine..
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited February 2011

This man goes on to say that Buddhism is no better than Catholicism, claiming that all Buddhists believe in literal reincarnation and it is a purely faith based religion. He also goes on to claim that meditation worsens a persons anxiety and such and produces no helpful after effects. He claims that Buddhism will make people unhappy and other (IMO) ridiculous things.

Comments?
    Reading it, a couple of points immediately come to mind. The first is that a belief in postmortem rebirth needn't be faith-based (which, incidentally, holds true for belief in God): it can arise out of personal experiences, such as from the occurrence of past-life memories; it can arise out of anecdotal evidence (e.g., the research of Ian Stevenson); it can arise out of reason (i.e., the concept of rebirth isn't illogical, it simply relies on premises that strict materialists reject); etc.

More importantly, I'd argue that Horgan mischaracterizes rebirth as the belief in a transmigrating soul rather than how it's actually presented in the Suttas and understood by Theravada, which is a process whereby one moment of dependently arisen consciousness conditions the arising of the next, a process that doesn't necessarily cease at death. But whether one takes a literal or non-literal approach, rebirth is simply the continuation of a process — nothing 'remains,' nothing 'transmigrates,' etc. — there are merely phenomena that condition other phenomena in the interdependent process we call life.

The next point is that the practice of meditation has been demonstrated to help to reduce anxiety and lower blood pressure, among other things. It can also help to make one more empathetic. So I think dismissing meditation so quickly, especially without further elaboration, is a bit hasty. In addition, I believe that more research needs to be done in this area to make any conclusive statements as to what meditation can and can't do. Neuroscience is a relatively young field, after all.

Besides that, I also think he mischaracterizes anatta as nonexistence, which is another big mistake, in my opinion. The teachings on not-self aren't merely assertions that we have no self; they're a method for deconstructing our false perceptions about reality, as well as an important tool in removing the vast net of clinging that gives rise to suffering. By equating anatta with nonexistence, he's grasping the snake by the tail, as the Buddha would say.

In the simplest of terms, the Buddha taught that whatever is inconstant is stressful, and whatever is stressful is not-self—with the goal being to essentially take this [analytical] knowledge, along with a specific set of practices such as meditation, as a stepping stone to what I can only describe as a profound psychological event that radically changes the way the mind relates to experience.

That doesn't mean, however, that the teachings on not-self are understood to deny individuality (MN 22) or imply that the conventional person doesn't exist (SN 22.22). They merely break down the conceptual idea of a self — i.e., that which is satisfactory, permanent and completely subject to our control — in relation to the various aspects of our experience that we falsely cling to as 'me' or 'mine' (SN 22.59). Moreover, Horgan appears to contradict himself when he says that Buddhism "holds that after death our souls are re-instantiated in new bodies," but then later criticizes the Buddhist idea of anatta as nonexistence. Either Buddhism is inconsistent on this matter, or Horgan is. My money's on the latter.

As for the rest, I don't really have the time or the inclination to go into it in detail, but I do think Horgan tries to make some good points. Nevertheless, I think his points are mostly built upon rather spurious assumptions and more aimed at knocking down straw men than anything else. For example, the idea that Buddhism stems from "our narcissistic wish to believe that the universe was created for our benefit" is simply an assumption, and Horgan offers nothing to back it up. The Buddha certainly never said that we're here for a reason.

All in all, I find Horgan's article more of an emotional ad hominem than a solid critique of Buddhism. That said, I think it's a good start, but it definitely needs a lot more work if it's to be taken as a serious critique of Buddhism.
  • Jason very well thought out. Benefited me to read.
  • edited February 2011
    This guy's kinda far off. I'm not going to bother commenting though. It was a 2003 article, anyway.

Though, the vast majority of Atheists that I know are actually Agnostics (Or Agnostic-Atheists to be exact). They don't believe in any kind of God, yet they don't deny the fact that one could exist.
    I would still classify this as Atheism, though I haven't compared dictionary definitions.

The Flying Spaghetti Monster could be the creator of the universe, but I don't believe it is (i.e., I'm willing to take the risk of ignoring this possibility).

In the same way, atheists might acknowledge that God could exist, but the point is that they are willing to bet their soul that he doesn't.
  • Christians hate it when someone mentions the flying spaghetti monster lol

• Can Buddhism be "Spaghetti Monstered"?
  • If God created the universe, then who created God?
    These questions will never be answered. It's a waste of time. To have a stance/position on these matters is a fools game.

To the OP, Buddhism itself is empty. It can save and it can kill. Infinite potential. Up to you.
  • What if the 8 fold path doesn't make you enlightened? What if only chanting the holy name of the giant spaghetti monster does? lol
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    "People always fear what they don't understand."

"The best form of defence is attack."

"A fool is known by a Multitude of words".

Ok, I'll shut up now.
  • Jon Kabat-Zinn, Ph.D., professor emeritus of medicine at the University of Massachusetts has done research on meditation. Personally, beginning meditation was more stressful than watching TV. But no more stressful than learning to drive a car.
  • Such comments are useful for serious practitioners of Buddhist meditation.

There used to be a Wiccan who would come over to the Livejournal Buddhists community and tell us all what bad Buddhists we were, and how broken the versions of Buddhism we were practicing were. Very useful!
  • The man who wrote the article is absolutely correct, in that the Buddhism that he describes in his writing is no different from any other faith based religion. The problem is that his understanding of Buddhism is wrong. What he describes is a twisted, immature view of the Noble Truths. How wrong? The statement he concludes with is so opposite of what Buddhism claims at its heart that it's obvious he isn't willing to learn.

"All religions, including Buddhism, stem from our narcissistic wish to believe that the universe was created for our benefit, as a stage for our spiritual quests."

What nonsense.
  • It's an opinion. Not a very informed one, if you ask me, but we all live in our own realities, and that's his. I would say to him that if he doesn't like Buddhism, don't become a Buddhist.

I find that disarms people when they want to start an argument about Buddhism.

What I don't tell them is that I believe everyone will eventually discover the dharma for themselves, in some lifetime, and all this means is that they're a little bit behind the curve.
  • edited February 2011

This man goes on to say that Buddhism is no better than Catholicism...,

He also goes on to claim that meditation worsens a persons anxiety...,

He claims that Buddhism will make people unhappy... .

Comments?
    Poor guy.

Maybe a little shot of penicillin will help? :sawed:

At least send him this link: :D

http://www.hatebook.com/

• edited February 2011
    If God created the universe, then who created God?
    These questions will never be answered. It's a waste of time. To have a stance/position on these matters is a fools game.
    I like to think of this class of inscrutable problems as the result of the questioner's blind ignorance of the whopping defects of language. :coffee:
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    >I joined a Buddhist meditation class and began talking to (and reading books by) intellectuals

Found the problem here! :)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    "Buddhism is for the intelligentsia".

Does this mean he's not intelligentic?

:D
  • All of his concerns and doubts regarding Buddhism are ones that I'm sure many others, foreign to these teachings, might have as well. It's obvious that he has allowed preconceived notions and prior experience to shape his perspective on Buddhist practice, and more than likely he went into it with the express purpose of "Dissing" the religion. Some of the things he says come off as very nihilistic and attachment to such views can be very difficult to break. I can understand the purpose of an intelligent and educated analysis or critique, but this is just gross generalization and ignorance.
  • VictoriousVictorious Grim Veteran

Comments?
    The mans an idiot. I think that pretty much sums it up.

• edited February 2011
    I've seen similar videos on youtube about Buddhism by atheists. They have little to no idea what Buddhism is, they put up a strawman and proceed to tear it down then pat themselves on the back for having done so. They're basically ignorant rantings that are a waste of time to watch as far as I'm concerned. I have no time to watch opinionated people discuss a topic that they have not bothered to understand.
  • I am sure you all know that disproving Christianity is the thing to do nowadays...

That's great, I thought it was just me!

• edited February 2011
    This video suggesting the skillful and expedient means of liberating deluded sentient beings, back home towards pure emptiness of loving kindness :p

what do you mean by that?

I know of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, but I'm not sure what @buddhajunkie's comment means either.
  • I think he means turned into a faith-based theistic religion.

The flying spaghetti monster (FSM) is usually used against Christianity in the following way: It is offered as an alternate religion in such a way that the Christian opponent will have a difficult time refuting while simultaneously upholding the reasonableness of Christianity .

Would Buddhists find themselves in a similar situation if confronted by some variation of The FSM? What would such a variation be?
  • I think this link http://www.hatebook.com/ is good for those big ego Atheists or most fundamentalists in general. It is like virtual humble pie.

The flying spaghetti monster (FSM) is usually used against Christianity in the following way: It is offered as an alternate religion in such a way that the Christian opponent will have a difficult time refuting while simultaneously upholding the reasonableness of Christianity .

Would Buddhists find themselves in a similar situation if confronted by some variation of The FSM? What would such a variation be?
    The refutation is, a flying spaghetti monster god is just another god to us, and it doesn't matter one way or another if any god does or does not exist. If the flying spaghetti monster taught the Dharma, it would be a Buddha, and that's all that matters.

• I would eat the flying spaghetti monster because spaghetti is amazing and I am sure it would be happy becuase it would be serving it's purpose as food. mmm, totally making spaghetti tonight, with italian sausage mixed with the sauce, no wait i have fresh venison sausage EVEN BETTER!
  • I'm not really sure of what to think of "hard core Atheism". The word, "Atheist" itself only describes what someone is not. If someone proudly identifies themself as an Atheist, and attacks Theism at every turn, aren't they making Theism seem more big and important than it really is?
  • Reading it, a couple of points immediately come to mind. The first is that a belief in postmortem rebirth needn't be faith-based (which, incidentally, holds true for belief in God): it can arise out of personal experiences, such as from the occurrence of past-life memories; it can arise out of anecdotal evidence (e.g., the research of Ian Stevenson); it can arise out of reason (i.e., the concept of rebirth isn't illogical, it simply relies on premises that strict materialists reject); etc.
    I don't intent to turn this into /another/ rebirth thread, I just had a question, and a thank-you to Jason for weighing in on this. I've found that when I bring up these points, they are dismissed. One member on the current rebirth thread actually came up with quotes from the Pali Canon stating that when ordinary people have past-life recall experiences, the Buddha declared those mere "mental formations" and therefore illusion, while the BUddha's recall of his past lives are valid experiences. This makes me feel like giving up, but it also doesn't seem to make sense; why would the Buddha urge students to trust their experiences, and they say experiences (or the memory of them) are mere "mental formations" not to be trusted? (Have you checked out that thread? This all comes up in the middle, around pg. 6 or 7)

edited February 2011

I don't intent to turn this into /another/ rebirth thread, I just had a question, and a thank-you to Jason for weighing in on this. I've found that when I bring up these points, they are dismissed. One member on the current rebirth thread actually came up with quotes from the Pali Canon stating that when ordinary people have past-life recall experiences, the Buddha declared those mere "mental formations" and therefore illusion, while the BUddha's recall of his past lives are valid experiences. This makes me feel like giving up, but it also doesn't seem to make sense; why would the Buddha urge students to trust their experiences, and they say experiences (or the memory of them) are mere "mental formations" not to be trusted? (Have you checked out that thread? This all comes up in the middle, around pg. 6 or 7)

No, I don't really bother following those kinds of threads anymore. I will say, however, that I think memories in and of themselves fall more along the lines of perception (sanna) than mental formations (sankhara).

What is commonly called perception, sanna, is essentially the faculty of re-cognitive, which is closely tied to memory. For example, in SN 22.79, the Buddha says, "And why do you call it 'perception'? Because it perceives, thus it is called 'perception.' What does it perceive? It perceives blue, it perceives yellow, it perceives red, it perceives white. Because it perceives, it is called perception."

In order to perceive something as 'yellow,' one must have some previous experience with the colour yellow and be able to recall that experience in some way so as to make a comparison. That faculty is perception, whereas any thoughts about the colour itself would fall under the faculty of mental formation.

Perhaps what's being said in the other thread is that whatever stories or conclusions one is making about past-life memories (sanna), those are mental formations (sankhara) and nothing concrete in and of themselves, meaning that they should be clung to. But without actually reading it, I can't say for sure.

Whatever the case, my opinion is that things such as past-life memories shouldn't necessarily be disregarded a priori; but at the same time, it should be kept in mind that our perceptions and the conclusions that stem from them can often be faulty.
  • sanna) than mental formations (sankhara).

Whatever the case, my opinion is that things such as past-life memories shouldn't necessarily be disregarded a priori; but at the same time, it should be kept in mind that our perceptions and the conclusions that stem from them can often be faulty.
    To clarify, I was speaking about the experience of past life memories ("experience" seems to have a different status than "memory" that I don't entirely understsand). So to try to sum up (and clarify) your view, do you mean that even though belief in rebirth can arise from the occurence of past life memories, even so, we should beaer in mind that our perceptions of those experiences can be faulty? And yet, they do inform our belief system and can change it radically, in the case of non-believers in rebirth, when a past-life-memory recall event occurs. You're saying; nevertheless, we can't rely 100% on that experience?

edited February 2011

To clarify, I was speaking about the experience of past life memories ("experience" seems to have a different status than "memory" that I don't entirely understsand).
    Right, but how else would you experience past-life memories if not via memory? I don't really see much a distinction between the two.
    So to try to sum up (and clarify) your view, do you mean that even though belief in rebirth can arise from the occurence of past life memories, even so, we should beaer in mind that our perceptions of those experiences can be faulty?
    More or less. You know, the whole rope/snake analogy thing.
    And yet, they do inform our belief system and can change it radically, in the case of non-believers in rebirth, when a past-life-memory recall event occurs. You're saying; nevertheless, we can't rely 100% on that experience?
    Sure, all of our experiences help shape the way we see and understand the world. All I'm saying is that it should be kept in mind that our perceptions and the conclusions that stem from them can often be faulty. That doesn't necessarily mean they are, only that they should be thoroughly investigated before we adopt them and make them into part of our belief system/worldview. And that's something only the individual can do for themselves.
  • Many here may find wisdom by looking at this guy and seeing a bit of themselves in him.

Whether someone is a Buddhist, Christian. Atheist or Muslim they are still human.
    Yeah, I'm a Buddhist and its very important to me but I keep it to myself most of the time because it being defined by one's beliefs, race or sexuality is often divisive.
    It's clear tho that this chap is a poor scientist and a sensationalist. He's still human though.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited February 2011
    One member on the current rebirth thread actually came up with quotes from the Pali Canon stating that when ordinary people have past-life recall experiences, the Buddha declared those mere "mental formations" and therefore illusion, while the BUddha's recall of his past lives are valid experiences. This makes me feel like giving up, but it also doesn't seem to make sense; why would the Buddha urge students to trust their experiences, and they say experiences (or the memory of them) are mere "mental formations" not to be trusted?
    Dakini

I certainly cannot agree with the views referred to above. Possibly I may offer some clarity here.

1. In the Pali, the Buddha did not use the term "past life". He used the term "past dwelling" or "past abiding".

2. When the Buddha instructed his monks (rather than ordinary people), such as in the Khajjaniya Sutta, his instruction was the same as his instruction in all other supramundane suttas, namely, any experience is merely form, feeling, perception, mental formations and/or consciousness and all such experiences should be regarded as: "This is not mine. This is not my self. This is not what I am."

3. I do not recally any suttas, where any of the Buddha's disciples declared experiencing their past dwellings (but I have not read every sutta) to ordinary people or non-monks. For example, in the Susima Sutta, the arahant monks refrain from declaring any such experience. Further, in the Susima Sutta, the arahant monks emphasise such experiences are not related to the goal.

4. As for the Buddha, he was & is the Buddha. He declared such experiences to ordinary people & used a language for the listener to interpret for themselves (such as the Bhaya-bherava Sutta). It follows ordinary people can interpret such teachings however they wish. It does not mean their interpretation is actually true (or false).

5. The Buddha said the experiences to be trusted are those that lead to liberation or the cessation of suffering. In the Khajjaniya Sutta, the Buddha is unambiguous in asserting any kind of ego building or accumulation in relation to such experiences does not side with liberation.

6. The Samkitta Sutta advises, as disciples of the Buddha, we have the right to discard or reject any teachings we read that lead to passion, not to dispassion; to bondage, not to liberation; to accumulation, not to relinquishment.

Kind regards

DD

Thus have I heard: At one time the Blessed One was staying at Vesālī, in the hall with the gabled roof in the Great Forest. Then Mahāpajāpatī Gotamī approached the Blessed One; paid homage, and stood on one side. Standing there she said to him: “It would be good, venerable sir, if the Blessed One would teach me Dhamma in brief so that, having heard the Dhamma from the Blessed One, I might dwell alone, secluded, heedful, ardent and resolute.”

“Those things, Gotamī, regarding which you know, ‘These things lead to passion, not to dispassion; to bondage, not to liberation; to accumulation, not to relinquishment; to having many wishes, not to having few wishes; to discontent, not to contentment; to association, not to seclusion; to laziness, not to arousing energy; to being hard to support, not to being easy to support,’ definitely, Gotamī, you can decide, ‘This is not the Dhamma, this is not the Vinaya, this is not the Teacher’s instruction.’”

“Those things, Gotamī, regarding which you know, ‘These things lead to dispassion, not to passion; to liberation, not to bondage; to relinquishment, not to accumulation; to having few wishes, not to having many wishes; to contentment, not to discontent; to seclusion, not to association; to arousing energy, not to laziness; to being easy to support, not to being hard to support,’ definitely, Gotamī, you can decide, ‘This is the Dhamma, this is the Vinaya, this is the Teacher’s instruction.’”
    Having reflected in this way, he becomes indifferent to past form, does not delight in future form and is practicing for the sake of disenchantment, dispassion and cessation with regard to present form.

This, monks, is called a disciple of the noble ones who tears down and does not build up; who abandons and does not cling; who discards and does not pull in; who scatters and does not pile up.
    :)
  • Let's not quibble; it's the same thing. As I mentioned elsewhere,remembering one's past abode is to recall an element of one's past life, and that's the way it's usually understood, from what I've read.
  • This man goes on to say that Buddhism is no better than Catholicism
    Which is absolutely, 100% true.
    claiming that all Buddhists believe in literal reincarnation
    Which is absolutely 100% untrue. Clearly, he's never talked to most of the Buddhists I know, nor to me.
    ...claim(s) that meditation worsens a persons anxiety and such and produces no helpful after effects
    Again, 100% untrue. And again, he's clearly never talked to a Buddhist about it.

So, as with most things that stem from the ego, this is pretty much useless...

edited February 2011

ATTENTION: GOD EMPEROR MODE. PLEASE MAKE SURE TO READ THIS BEFORE POSTING.

Before this thread gets too off-topic, I'd like to ask that all discussions related to the current discussion on rebirth be continued there since the current format doesn't allow individual posts to be moved, and I'd hate to have to delete them. Thanks.

ATTENTION: GOD EMPEROR MODE. PLEASE MAKE SURE TO READ THIS BEFORE POSTING.

• edited February 2011

Hi Dakini,

Like Jason, I also refrain from entering the rebirth discussion threads due to the loudness and aggressiveness of some members in their rejection of rebirth. It seems that the more minority the views that are held, the louder they are proclaimed.

Rest assured that the suttas are repleat with examples of rebirth, the most important one being the night of the Buddha's awakening in which he recalled aeons of his lifetimes going back through many expansions and contractions of the world systems. His declaration of this experience is that there is no discernible beginning.

In fact, Buddhist monks not only recall their past lifetimes, but they also help others to do so. You can only do this with a suitably concentrated mind and that usually means a mind that has just been in jhana. You can experience it too if you wish to practice in this way. I'm not sure whether it's absolutely necessary for the path progression to recall past lifetimes though.

Metta,

Vangelis

• Sorry Jason, I just read your last post. I won't post about rebirth here again. Please don't delete my post. :)