Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhist Tattoos

Comments

• edited March 2010
    Interesting use of color with the scripts..
  • edited March 2010
    hi everyone
    does anyone know this pali transcript?
    "sabbe satta bhavantu sukhitatta" (may all beings be well and happy)

namaste _/\_
  • MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Oh my people! My, oh my! I think you've all just pushed me over the edge here! There is some REALLY gorgeous stuff in these postings. I've been contemplating a dharma wheel for some time now, but I may have to reconsider or modify what I've been thinking to include some more color and the idea of the gankyil.

Thanks!

Mtns
  • edited March 2010
    LOL Mountains! Glad to see that this thread has helped you evolve your ideas about what tattoo you would like. Be sure to post pics when you get it! ;)
    edited March 2010
    Vangelis wrote: »
    LOL Mountains! Glad to see that this thread has helped you evolve your ideas about what tattoo you would like. Be sure to post pics when you get it! ;)

I'm not good with needles, so I need to screw up my courage and then jump into the pool one day ;)

Mtns
  • edited March 2010
    Ye, it @!#$%@# kills on the spine and the shoulder blades (anything close to bone). Still, it's tolerable but it gets a bit much after a few hours. So, maybe a smaller tattoo for the first one is advisable (wish I could have taken my own advice:eek:)!

It took me about a year from the time I decided to get a tattoo, to finalise my design and take that final plunge. So, let it stew for a while and when the time is right, you'll be fine!

Cheers,

Vangelis
    :)
    edited March 2010
    What think ye of this?? It may be too detailed for the size I want to get it (I have puny deltoids). I like the idea of the gankyil in the middle though...

Mtns

GankyilDharmaWheel.jpg
  • edited March 2010
    Hi Mountains,

I like it! But more importantly, you should like it despite what anyone thinks. And if you get it done, post some pics of it.

Cheers,

Vangelis
  • edited April 2010
    Hiya.

Where did you get the Pali script for this? I mean I know the Dhammapada but I am looking for the Pali for the 3 marks of existence; Annica, Annata and Dukkha. My problem is that I dont want to emulate some machine like interpretation of the script. If i'm trying to write out these words I dont want it to be equilivant to someone copying out this font here for instance in the mind that this is how people write, do you see? I mean the "a" for instance varies from how one actually writes "a" and therfore isn't actually written its a typeface.
    If you could help me on this it would be very much appreciated even if its just highlighting from the photo of your tattoo (which is pretty awesome) which phrase is which.

Bless.
  • edited June 2010
    Seeking Tattoo Advice:

Hello. This is a great thread! Dharma tattoos I think can be very effective for practice & motivation, and in communicating the dharma in this day & age. The medium is the message.

I have been designing and just recently gave my design to an illustrator for a dharma tattoo Sleeve. It will also cover up an old tattoo.

The design: It is a spiral version of the Tibetan Wheel of Life.

It starts off as a Nail poked into my wrist. Poked with the nail is a Rooster's foot. The rooster is wrapped around, biting a Pig. The pig wraps around biting a Snake. Out of the snake's mouth, also wrapping around (all moving up) is Fire & the hell realm, with hell beings hanging around and desperately swimming unto the next realm: Hungry ghost realm. Here everything is dry and they crawl into the next realm: Asura realm. Meeting the hungry ghosts in the border that connects the 2 are the Asuras, with pitchforks. The asuras have torture devices and are tormenting other beings in this realm by: tickling with feathers, making funny faces, pulling their sideburns, etc. (all funny methods as the art style is sort of caricature or POP SURREALISM like Mike Ryden . Then, from the Asura realm, the next is the Deva realm, in the border, Asuras are pulling the Devas' feet. The Devas are chilling on Clouds, stargazing and lying on sunbathing benches. Castles are in the background.
    Separating the Deva realm to the last realm, the human/animal realm, are mountains and clouds. The human realm has cute furry little animals and a couple of humans scratching their heads. This realm leads to a path with flowers. Some people pick the flowers & some people finish the path. At the end of the path is a Chain hook nailed to the ground. Connected to this hook are 12 links. Each link is giant sized, with each link having the images/ symbol associating with each of the 12 links of dependent origination. i.e. A man with an arrow in his eye is in the first link, link clasping him at chest level. The 12 links wrap around twice the arm and end at Yama's Mouth. He is biting the last link which symbolizes Death. A dead man caricature is hanging from Yama's teeth.

Then, that's it for the inside. Then along Yama's shoulder level are clouds. The 7th? Link which symbolizes Mindfulness has thought bubbles that connect to the opposite side of the elbow, where there is a Gankyil, and an old man sitting on it sort of half asleep. It's as if he's dreaming of the wheel of life.

On the elbow itself is an Infinity symbol & stemming out from that is a spiral/fractal sacred geometry which also compromises the background between the tibetan wheel of life and the upper arm.

The whole thing is not supposed to have empty spaces - just one fluid and flowing piece. The empty spaces would be smoke, Clouds, sacred geometry, or ornamental designs.

I want to avoid Lotus, Koi fish, cherry blossoms, and anything too overused.

-- Sorry if this description is sort of messy! I guess its like picturing the Tower of Babel? spirally and moving up, ending in clouds, + put the jolly green giant played by Yama.

-

Any feedback very much welcome! Its been much fun working on this project.

-

I do am very curious on what you would all think about this sort of tattoo. It is very detailed, pretty detailed for a dharma tattoo. Is it trying too hard? Is the rooster Nailed to the wrists possibly offending to christians? Is it pretentious? Is it possibly offending in general. Would it be something you would mind having?

Another thing thats been on my mind is: Its a cute design, and pretty thought out, possibly witty, however, will it stand the test of time? is it too far-fetching. Would simplicity better do the job for you.

Metta! and Thanks for reading
  • edited June 2010
    http://picasaweb.google.nl/116194078...70596713922834

Hi, this is my tattoo. It's from a calligraphy by the Vietnamese Zenmaster Thich Nhat Hanh.

This is it, now, this moment is where your life and where your happiness can be found. And this is the body you have to cherish and look after. A reminder I look at every day...

Pieter
  • edited June 2010
    Pieter wrote: »
    http://picasaweb.google.nl/116194078...70596713922834

Hi, this is my tattoo. It's from a calligraphy by the Vietnamese Zenmaster Thich Nhat Hanh.

Hi Pieter, I really like this. It's very zen - simple and right to the point.
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited June 2010
    sambodhi wrote: »
    Very nice Buddha backpiece...

ENNkb.jpg
    amazing drawing skill!

If it was me, I would be terrified that the guy making the tattoo end up not being a good draftman!

and end up looking like this
    tattoo%20fail.jpg
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited June 2010
    kenny wrote: »
    I started my adventure with a single word for now but to me it’s the most important. Sati or mindfulness and it’s in a place that I will see it all the time.

sati002.jpg
    this is what i want. (but maybe on the thumb or the side of the index.)

very nice.

What would be the Pali script for "sati"?
  • edited June 2010
    does anyone know where i can find the four immeasurable in Tibetan?<O:p</O:p
  • johnathanjohnathan Canada Veteran
    edited June 2010
    patbb wrote: »

I have decided that this is going to be my first tattoo... I have a very poor memory (hopefully will find out why after the CAT Scan next month) and so this is the perfect tattoo for me... a constant, ever present reminder to be mindful...

I believe someone made a post somewhere stating that a monk who had memorized all of the ancient texts summed up Buddhism with "Know what you are doing"

If that is the base core of Buddhism then again, what better thing to be reminded of daily...
  • edited June 2010
    Vangelis wrote: »
    Hi All,

This is a great Buddhist forum which I've only found recently (yes, I'm slow - lol) but I notice there are quite a few familiar faces that I've seen elsewhere, if you know what I mean. ;)

Anyway, the reason for my post. I have had a Buddhist Tattoo now for about 2 years and I'm itching to get another. It took me about a year to finalise my tattoo from the time that I decided to get one. I figure that it is for the rest of my life so it has to be just right! So now I'm starting the thinking process again. Who knows how long it will take this time but I thought it would be a good idea for us to post pictures of our tattoos or links to good Buddhist Tattoo websites. I haven't been able to find any really good ones yet.

Anyway, to get started here's mine. It's a dhamma wheel with the Pali inscription around it in the Devanagari script. All conditioned things are impermanent, all conditioned things are suffering and all things are not-self - from the Dhammapada 277-279.

tattoo.jpg

Looking forward to seeing some more great designs.

Kind Regards,

Vangelis

looks good. but a little too big for my taste.
  • edited June 2010
    patbb wrote: »

very nice.

What would be the Pali script for "sati"?

something like sati would be nice but I like it in inner hand.
  • edited June 2010
    daveysmith wrote: »
    looks good. but a little too big for my taste.

Hehe - so was my original idea for a tattoo. As the idea grew, so did the size of the tattoo... lol... in the end, it's all impermanent anyway!
  • edited June 2010
    does anyone know where i can find the four immeasurable in Tibetan?<o>:p</o>:p

No, but top idea! I toyed with that idea too but couldn't find the Brahmaviharas in an ancient Pali script.
    edited July 2010
    I posted this in another thread, but I'll repost here. Finally got my dharma wheel done yesterday evening. I'm very pleased with how it came out. This pic was taken about 3 hours after it was done, so it's still a little red and puffy, but I think it looks great. It's about 3" (8 cm) in diameter on my right deltoid.

Mtns

IMG_8934.JPG
  • specialkaymespecialkayme Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Very nice Mountains! Looks great. Can you show us a picture when it heals?
    edited August 2010
    It's been three weeks tomorrow. I think it's pretty well healed...

:)

Mtns

TattooHealed.jpg
  • edited August 2010
    Love the tattoo Mr. Vangelis
    Could i get only the Pali inscription?

i search the Google but cant find it.
  • edited August 2010
    cikdel wrote: »
    Love the tattoo Mr. Vangelis
    Thanks, cikdel.
    Could i get only the Pali inscription?

i search the Google but cant find it.

You have been PM'ed...
  • edited August 2010
    hello to the room.its my first msg here and i hope not the last one.i have first a question about a tattoo i found but i dont know the meaning.if anybody know to translate it will be a big help.thanks ...
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited August 2010
    dimitris wrote: »
    hello to the room.its my first msg here and i hope not the last one.i have first a question about a tattoo i found but i dont know the meaning.if anybody know to translate it will be a big help.thanks ...

Welcome to the forum! The tattoo is the mantra OM AH HUM. It's the mantra of Padmasambhava, sometimes called the vajra guru mantra, and a powerful blessing.

I have a few criticisms with the tattoo technique, but I'll keep them to myself :) I think it's nice that someone wanted to keep this mantra with them.
  • edited August 2010
    I am a Tibetan thangka artist and I've done translation and letters for several tattoos. You can see my work at www.TashiDhargyal.com -- if you need translation, you can message me at tashiartist88 at yahoo.com
  • edited August 2010
    HELLO I JUST SEE THE MESSAGES BECAUSE HERE IN GREECE WE ARE IN VACATIONS THESE DAYS. THANK YOU FOR BOTH TWO ANSWERS!!!
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited August 2010
    You're welcome :)
  • edited August 2010
    Beautiful work, Tashi! Thank you for giving us a look at your art!

Kind regards,
    Pieter
  • Love-N-PeaceLove-N-Peace Veteran
    edited August 2010
    These tattoos are really cool, I love Mountain's. I've considered getting a tattoo (when I'm older enough, naturally). How much does it hurt?

Jellybean
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited August 2010
    LoveNPeace wrote: »
    These tattoos are really cool, I love Mountain's. I've considered getting a tattoo (when I'm older enough, naturally). How much does it hurt?

It depends on your own pain threshold and the location of the tattoo. Certain areas (such as the neck, pelvic area, or any area where the bones are closer to the surface) are known to generally be more painful than others. If the tattoo artist goes too deep into the skin this can cause more pain and irritation, as well as scarring and blurring of the lines.

As someone with a large collection of tattoos, I personally don't think they are very painful when done by a skilled tattoo artist. Mostly what I feel is more of a slight burning sensation, unless it's in a sensitive area; but as sessions progress (more than two or three hours) the pain may intensify as endorphins from the experience wear off.

My current artist has almost 20 years experience and is very skilled at all kinds of art. This is one of the most important factors in my opinion - one must have actual artistic ability, ie being able to draw, paint, etc. It's not just about following the transfer design, but also knowing how to apply colors, how to apply angles and shading, provide depth and emotion to a piece, and so on.
    edited August 2010
    Just wondering, I can't imagine the embarrassment of crying while I got a tattoo :D What are your tattoos of?

Jellybean
  • edited August 2010
    Yeah, just did it myself about one week ago. Design by me. I think it's great and I like it very much :) Want to tattoo more.

http://img22.imageshack.us/i/imgp0025y.jpg/

Have a great day.

edit: been thinking about filling the inner circle with the symbolic pig, snake and rooster
    (like this: http://0.tqn.com/d/buddhism/1/0/g/1/-/-/wheel.jpg )
    ...but maybe then it will loose it's "clearance" and I really like it that way. It's just like only the paths without the bad wishes, while they are still present inside of me...so maybe it's the symbol for losing those blockades finally...hehe, I'm still torn...
    edited August 2010
    Nice tattoo :)

Jellybean
  • edited August 2010
    Yeah :D I knew you'd like it... :lol:
    But really, thanks for the feedback. There will be more to see...
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited August 2010
    Just wondering, I can't imagine the embarrassment of crying while I got a tattoo :D What are your tattoos of?

It's okay to cry while you get a tattoo, nobody will judge you... at least none of the artists I know. I certainly have had tears well up in my eyes during especially difficult sections of some tats.

My tattoos? I have a lot. Maybe my avatar will give you an idea ;)
    edited August 2010
    :lol:
    I'd definitely cry then, I'd have to get one where it hurt the least, but I think it's like six years 'till I'm old enough so I have plenty of thinking time :D
  • edited August 2010
    so you are 10 years old? Or twelve? (In Germany you have to be at least 16)
    And you are already into buddhism? How come? I think that is great, to find that way the right for you at such a young age...

Sorry for off-topic.

It is your body that will have to suffer, your soul that will be joyfull, and whereas you cry because of one or the other or both of those reasons - I, as an (beginning) artist for tattoos, would never judge you because of this. Rather than that I would say to myself: (hopefully I am not such a bad tattoo artist that it does hurt so much, and) hopefully this person will be happy or even happier in the end.
    edited August 2010
    I'm 12, I think you have to be 18 in Britain. I'm already into Buddhism because when I was eleven I wanted a religion and found a book in the school library about Buddhism :)

I always though tattoo artists would be really tough and call people pussies, but they seem quite nice :D

Germany eh? My dad's cousin, her partner and their three children live in Germany :) Is Fraktal a German word or is it your name?

Jellybean
  • edited August 2010
    Cool. Are you practising every day? your enlightement shouldn't be too far away if you carry on with it seriously :D

Fraktal is the german word for fractal.

http://www.fractalizer.de/f_zoom.exe

If someone wishes to get a design for a buddhist tattoo done, ask me :D
    edited August 2010
    Will you be on here in six years :lol: If you are atleast you'll be experianced. I'd get a proper Deep one with lots of metaphors and meanings :D
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited August 2010
    Will you be on here in six years :lol: If you are atleast you'll be experianced. I'd get a proper Deep one with lots of metaphors and meanings :D

My advice is to definitely NOT rush into any tattoo, especially large ones. Half of my tattoos are covered up with newer, better ones (done by an artist with true skill). Think of what you want, where you want it, and consider it for at least a year minimum - more for you since you have time to spare!

I was hanging out at my shop one day and a girl came in for her appointment (for the actual work, not a consultation). She was on her cell phone with someone and she was trying to decide what the design should be... as in, she had no idea until she was about the get inked what she was getting.

"So, I want something that means 'Redemption,' what kind of image says redemption? Should I get a cross? Maybe I'll just get the word redemption?" this is a true story. She actually asked me, a total stranger, what I thought she should get. I showed her a selection of my cover-ups and tried to tell her she should wait if she didn't know what to get, but she was in a huge rush to get it done. In the end she ended up getting the word redemption in script on her wrist, with some flowery borders or something... whatever :rolleyes:

Maybe I should have told her to get something totally crazy, like a fish with legs riding a bagel with a basket of candy corn.
    edited August 2010
    mugzy wrote: »
    a fish with legs riding a bagel with a basket of candy corn.

I have decided what tattoo I want! :lol:
    I think I would have a crazy one and a Buddhist one. I'd really think about it though, don't worry :)
    edited August 2010
    My aunt and uncle both have a Chinese five on their wrists (they have five kids) and my auntie has a rose tattooed on her upper breast LOL.
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited August 2010
    I have decided what tattoo I want! :lol:
    I think I would have a crazy one and a Buddhist one. I'd really think about it though, don't worry :)

You can have as many crazy or Buddhist tattoos as you want. I personally don't care what the image is as long as it's well done!
    My aunt and uncle both have a Chinese five on their wrists (they have five kids) and my auntie has a rose tattooed on her upper breast LOL.

I'm sure you'll fit right in ;)
    edited August 2010
    Is that one of yours? :D

Jellybean
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited August 2010
    :lol: Nope, it's missing the basket of candy corn of course :lol:
    edited August 2010
    Of course :D