Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhist Tattoos

edited December 2010 in General Banter
Hi All,

This is a great Buddhist forum which I've only found recently (yes, I'm slow - lol) but I notice there are quite a few familiar faces that I've seen elsewhere, if you know what I mean. ;)

Anyway, the reason for my post. I have had a Buddhist Tattoo now for about 2 years and I'm itching to get another. It took me about a year to finalise my tattoo from the time that I decided to get one. I figure that it is for the rest of my life so it has to be just right! So now I'm starting the thinking process again. Who knows how long it will take this time but I thought it would be a good idea for us to post pictures of our tattoos or links to good Buddhist Tattoo websites. I haven't been able to find any really good ones yet.

Anyway, to get started here's mine. It's a dhamma wheel with the Pali inscription around it in the Devanagari script. All conditioned things are impermanent, all conditioned things are suffering and all things are not-self - from the Dhammapada 277-279.

tattoo.jpg

Looking forward to seeing some more great designs.

Kind Regards,

Vangelis

Comments

• BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2009
    Wow!! Gorgeous tattoo!

I don't have any but if I did decide on one it would be something like yours, something about the Three Seals.

Very cool tattoo and it's nice to meet you, Vangelis. Feel free to tell us a bit about yourself in the New Members thread if you like.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited March 2009
    Here's a Sengdoma (lion-headed dakini) mandala I have on my left arm.

Palzang

tattoos.png
  • edited March 2009
    Brigid wrote: »
    Wow!! Gorgeous tattoo!
    Thanks!
    I don't have any but if I did decide on one it would be something like yours, something about the Three Seals.

Very cool tattoo and it's nice to meet you, Vangelis. Feel free to tell us a bit about yourself in the New Members thread if you like.

Not much to tell really, but you're right, I will have to formally introduce myself.
  • edited March 2009
    Palzang wrote: »

Palzang

tattoos.png

Very nice. I was thinking of going for something a little more colourful for my next tattoo. A mandala tattoo might just be the answer. Thanks for posting a picture of yours.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2009
    Palzang wrote: »

Palzang

tattoos.png
    I didn't know you had a tattoo, Palzang. You just keep getting cooler and cooler...
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited March 2009
    I'm so cool I'm frozen...

My teacher told us when we were living in Sedona that getting a Dharma tattoo helps purify body karma. Boy, did I need that! So I was thinking about getting one, and I came across this mandala. The one I originally saw had hooked knives in each point of the star and was really cool, but it was too detailed for a tattoo, so I picked the less complicated version. All the symbols here are dakini (enlightened female wisdom beings) symbols. The hooked knife represents cutting through ego, the skull cup represents the union of absolute and relative truth, and the double triangles (which look like a Star of David) are dakinis symbols which, on one level, represent the female orifice, and on another level represent the three attributes of a dakini - unborn, nondwelling, and one other I can't remember. The double triangles represent sexual union, the union of opposites, compassion and wisdom. This particular mandala is of the lion-headed dakini, who is particularly useful for clearing obstacles. She is the secret form of Guru Rinpoche (Padmasambhava).

Palzang
  • edited March 2009
    The best thing about my tattoo experience was getting it done in Osaka when my Japanese was still a bit rusty and having a great laugh with the heavily tattoo`d Japanese Rock Chick, who insisted on playing Poison albums throughout the 4 hour session! She was quite surprised to hear that I`d designed it myself!

Within my tattoo there are 3 major symbols. 3 different `Ways` are expressed in the design...

This first image is the Japanese representation of Bodhidharma. In Japan he is called Daruma and traditionally spherical dolls are made and painted with these same features. The eyes, however, are left blank until the `wish` is written on the front. Then you fill in one pupil and when the wish comes true you colour in the other. The wish I have written is `Mu` or `nothing/lack of`. Bodhidharma`s teachings have always been the ones with which I resonate the most. I like having him on my arm walking along next to me.

img7652.jpg

On Bodhidharma`s left is a crane flying through falling autumn Maple leaves. I love Japanese Maples and feel the most at peace when I am sitting in a forest of them. Maple leaf dsign is also used very heavily in traditional Japanese artforms. The crane represents the soft or feminine side of the Yin Yang opposition. Before I even picked up any texts on Buddhism I was very much into the Tao Te Ching and it continues to inform my practise to this day.

img7653.jpg

On Bodhidharma`s right is a snake slipping though the mist. Mist is another of my favourite natural occurances - especially the way it calms the landscape but can be, at the same time, quite oppressive. It is also used in Japanese art to give a feeling of transience. The snake represents the hard or Masculine side of the Yin Yang philosophy.

img7654.jpg

The third `Way` hidden in the tattoo is related to my name here at NB. Can anyone tell me what it is?

Hint - it`s got to do with the snake and crane...

A cajillion points if you get it right!
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited March 2009
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Univers,Zurich BT]The secrets of the ‘Hall of Perpetual Springtime’[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Univers,Zurich BT]This is where the average Shaolin warrior monk would end his training. Only very carefully selected trustees would be taken to the secret ‘Hall of Perpetual Springtime’ (Weng Shun tong). This was a hidden place in the monestary only few knew about. Here the apprentice would be taught the remaining two animal forms of the Shaolin five animal fighting system; The Snake and the Crane.
    [/FONT]
  • edited March 2009
    Ohhh Simon you're soooo close!!
    edited March 2009
    Ohhh Simon you're soooo close!!

Wing Chun?
  • edited March 2009
    And the reason would be...
    edited March 2009
    And the reason would be...

You lead me to such lovely stories, BSF. And you love them so much too, don't you:
    [quote]After her time at the White Crane Temple, Yim Wing Chun returned to the village and was immediately pestered again by the warlord, this time more seriously, but now Wing Chun was prepared and challenged him to open hand combat, which of course he accepted as all he could see was a frail young woman who would soon be his wife, or so he thought. Yim Wing Chun totally devastated the warlord and being troubled no more was then free to marry her intended husband, Leung Bok Chuuo who himself was a skilled pugilist and together they would practice this new fighting system, and it was in reverence to his wife that he named the style Wing Chun, or Beautiful Springtime.[/quote]
  • LesCLesC Bermuda Veteran
    edited March 2009
    Love the dharma wheel tattoo Vangelis, make me wanna rush right out and get one...
  • edited March 2009

You lead me to such lovely stories, BSF. And you love them so much too, don't you:
    [quote]After her time at the White Crane Temple, Yim Wing Chun returned to the village and was immediately pestered again by the warlord, this time more seriously, but now Wing Chun was prepared and challenged him to open hand combat, which of course he accepted as all he could see was a frail young woman who would soon be his wife, or so he thought. Yim Wing Chun totally devastated the warlord and being troubled no more was then free to marry her intended husband, Leung Bok Chuuo who himself was a skilled pugilist and together they would practice this new fighting system, and it was in reverence to his wife that he named the style Wing Chun, or Beautiful Springtime.

[/QUOTE]

You're correct Simon I do!

Even further into the Mythology surrounding the fighting system is the story of how the original nun created Wing Chun. She is said to have witnessed a snake attacking a crane and she noticed how the crane used it's deft, gentle moments to deflect the snakes violent strikes. Therefore the hard and soft energies used in the style are symbolised by these two animals.

How true this legend is, however, is questionable but that doesn't mean that I don't resonate with the imagery used!
    edited March 2009
    The legend is true, only the facts may not be.
  • edited March 2009
    The legend is true, only the facts may not be.

And me - supposedly an English teacher!
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2009
    Simon and BSF,

I so enjoyed your exchange and the short descriptions of those stories. So much so that I'm now thinking of having a look into Asian legends. Perhaps I'll look into Thai stories since my practice is Thai.

Wonderful stories!
    edited March 2009
    Simon and BSF,

I so enjoyed your exchange and the short descriptions of those stories. So much so that I'm now thinking of having a look into Asian legends. Perhaps I'll look into Thai stories since my practice is Thai.

Wonderful stories!

With open mind and heart, we learn more of significance from stories than from any number of 'serious' works.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2009
    So true. I've learned most of what's important through storytelling. I'm a Celt (as much as that's possible) and I was brought up with them and storytelling is almost sacred in my family. My parents are somewhat frustrated actors/performers and we, the children, received the benefit of their talents through their storytelling.

When I was a child in school my favourite time wasn't recess; it was when the teacher would read stories to us. I could never get enough of it.
  • edited April 2009
    Hey there! :)

I really want a tattoo with the Eightfold Path and maybe some Lotus-flowers in addition (to make it more feminine, but my name Kathrine means "Pure" which is what the Lotus-flower represents).

I like Vangelis' tattoo a lot, but I think its too big and masculine for me - Vangelis; could you tell me what the Pali inscription means, cause I really like the writing in your tattoo!
    Please - can someone help me come up with ideas for my first tattoo?

xoxo
  • edited April 2009
    Hi Kathrine,

The Pali inscription around it is in the Devanagari script. I managed to find the Dhammapada in that script and I like it so I chose one of my favourite parts from it- verses 277-279, the three marks of all existence.

Sabbe sankhara anicca
    Sabbe sankhara dukkha
    Sabbe dhamma anatta

All conditioned things are impermanent
    All conditioned things are suffering
    All things are not-self

I can help you find a copy of the Dhammapada that I used if you're interested in using an inscription from it.

Kind Regards,

Vangelis
  • edited April 2009
    I have 7 tattoos, but none are overtly dharma-related. I have one of dragon claws tearing their way out through the flesh over my heart is based on buddhist experience, but nobody who sees it thinks of the dharma.

I've considered on numerous occasions getting a Geshe Chekawa like this:

971.jpg
  • edited April 2009
    I've wanted a buddhist tattoo for a while now, Does anyone know of a symbol for the three marks of existence? I can't seem to find anything besides the sanskrit words. thanks for any ideas you may have...
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited April 2009
    Hi, AW (or should that be A&W? sorry...)

Actually there is a symbol. It's called the gankyil, and it symbolizes many trinities in Buddhism, including the Three Seals. I'm attaching a picture.

Palzang
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited April 2009
    That's a beautiful symbol, Palzang. Perfect for a tattoo. I'm very drawn to it. One might have to simplify the explanation of it a bit (I looked it up on Wiki) but I really like how it symbolizes trinities. I've always had a thing for trinities. The flower of Ontario is a Trillium which was decided many years ago and without my input but I highly approve nonetheless.

By any chance can the gankyil be of any other colours or is that a stupid question?
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited April 2009
    I love Jetsunma's quotation too, by the way. Really hits you in the gut, doesn't it?
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited April 2009
    I'm not sure how important the colors are or what they may symbolize. And I had the same reaction to the quote, Boo. Just kind leapt out and whacked me over the head!

Palzang
  • edited April 2009
    Thanks for your help !
  • edited May 2009
    Just got back from getting tattooed!

The back of my arm...
    4717_507439023993_302200285_226109_253469_n.jpg

Close up
    4717_507438994053_302200285_226108_2733882_n.jpg

Flowers above the Ganesh
    4717_507438989063_302200285_226107_2796037_n.jpg

The inside of my arm
    4717_507438984073_302200285_226106_7843134_n.jpg

Yeah I am flexing...
    4717_507438979083_302200285_226105_7709528_n.jpg

The whole arm so far...
    n302200285_226104_6570412.jpg
  • edited May 2009
    sweet
  • edited May 2009
    My Tatts are all done in Chinese script. My left arm has so far.... Strenght, courage, Brahman. My right has Peace and Dragon....Sorry haven't taken any pictures, but will if your curious? Will get some more when I can afford it.

Cheers.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited May 2009
    OMG!!

Gorgeous! You didn't do all of that today, did you?

Are you going to colour it in or leave it as is? The reason I ask is because I just love the old school green/black/blue ink just as it is without all the yellows, reds, pinks, oranges, purples and so on that so many people get today. I mean, sometimes all the colours are beautiful, really beautiful. But sometimes they seem to obscure the initial artistry in the work, the outline of the image. You know?

Then again, you could get some pretty amazing colour work done with all those magnificent flowers. And the light greens you could get into with the leaves would be totally stunning. Are those peonies at the top? I adore peonies. We just had a few in the house recently. The light pink ones. They were a gift for my mum from an old friend.

I'm rambling. Sorry.

The Ganesh is so beautiful. I love the way his trunk is curved.

What beautiful work, Jordan. Can you tell I'm excited? Lol!

You could show us a pic of your face too, if you felt like it and you're not in the Federal Protection Program or anything. :)
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited May 2009
    Esau101 wrote: »
    My Tatts are all done in Chinese script. My left arm has so far.... Strenght, courage, Brahman. My right has Peace and Dragon....Sorry haven't taken any pictures, but will if your curious? Will get some more when I can afford it.

Cheers.
    I'm interested! Show us, show us! I love looking at tatts. Almost as much as I like looking through people's photo albums. I really do. That's not a joke. I like looking at people's vacation photos too. I'm kinda nosy that way. Not nosy in the 'looking into people's medicine cabinet' way though.

I think I've had too much coffee...
    edited May 2009
    So Boo...? With what is apparently a real love of tattoos... do you have any?

Sorry... ignore that... just checked up the thread where you answered that!
  • edited May 2009
    OMG!!

Gorgeous! You didn't do all of that today, did you?

Are you going to colour it in or leave it as is? The reason I ask is because I just love the old school green/black/blue ink just as it is without all the yellows, reds, pinks, oranges, purples and so on that so many people get today. I mean, sometimes all the colours are beautiful, really beautiful. But sometimes they seem to obscure the initial artistry in the work, the outline of the image. You know?

Then again, you could get some pretty amazing colour work done with all those magnificent flowers. And the light greens you could get into with the leaves would be totally stunning. Are those peonies at the top? I adore peonies. We just had a few in the house recently. The light pink ones. They were a gift for my mum from an old friend.

I'm rambling. Sorry.

The Ganesh is so beautiful. I love the way his trunk is curved.

What beautiful work, Jordan. Can you tell I'm excited? Lol!

You could show us a pic of your face too, if you felt like it and you're not in the Federal Protection Program or anything. :)

No no, this is over many months. A total of 8 hours so far. I'm not going to have it coloured in at all. Just black and gray shading. I may add a hint of green here and there in the leaves of the flowers. :)

And yes, I can tell you are quite excited! :) It's refreshing. This sleeve has basically ended my relationship with my mother. She refuses to speak to me anymore. And when she does, it's strictly business....

Fortunately I have not committed any crimes and can therefore display my face proudly on the Internet...

n302200285_222116_2866823.jpg

I'm a youngin', only 20... Do I look innocent and young? I hope so! LOL.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited May 2009
    I don't know about young but you do look pretty innocent. ;)
    Great photo, Jordan. Love the Bob Marley shirt.

I'm so glad you're not getting it coloured in. It's beautiful as it is.

Don't worry about your mother. She probably just needs time. If she's around my age, from my generation, she's probably more used to them than she realizes. She'll come around. :)

Thanks for the photos!
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited May 2009
    LesC wrote: »
    So Boo...? With what is apparently a real love of tattoos... do you have any?

Sorry... ignore that... just checked up the thread where you answered that!
    Actually, Les, I'm glad you asked because a thought came to me when I was reading the question.

I love tatts like I love children. Other people's children.

:)
  • edited May 2009
    I don't know about young but you do look pretty innocent. ;)
    Great photo, Jordan. Love the Bob Marley shirt.

I'm so glad you're not getting it coloured in. It's beautiful as it is.

Don't worry about your mother. She probably just needs time. If she's around my age, from my generation, she's probably more used to them than she realizes. She'll come around. :)

Thanks for the photos!
    Yeah, a side not about colour - It does "age" as nicely as black and gray. The colours bleed in to each other, fade, etc. It's not a pretty process. Black and gray tattoos at least retain some of their dignity, for what it's worth... *shrug* :)
  • edited June 2009
    Hi All,

I've been thinking of getting a tattoo related to buddhism. Call me narrow-minded or uncreative, I've only come up with the idea of the lotus. lol.

Pls share any good websites which displays nice and good dharma tattoo designs. I should take the time after all to consider all kinds of designs b4 getting inked.

Thanks.
    edited June 2009
    Actually, Les, I'm glad you asked because a thought came to me when I was reading the question.

I love tatts like I love children. Other people's children.

Hahaha!!!! I HEARD that
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited June 2009
  • edited June 2009
    hi, everyone.

I really in need to know the Pali version of "Namo Tassa Bhagavato Arahato Samma sambuddhassa", because I want to make a tattoo from the Pali transcription. is there anyone who can help me? many thanks! :)

Namo Buddhaya.
  • edited June 2009
    winaldo wrote: »
    hi, everyone.

I really in need to know the Pali version of "Namo Tassa Bhagavato Arahato Samma sambuddhassa", because I want to make a tattoo from the Pali transcription. is there anyone who can help me? many thanks! :)

Namo Buddhaya.

Sorry, I can't help you with that one. I do, however, have the Dhammapada in Pali in the Devanagari script which I think is one of the nicest scripts that Pali is rendered in. I can email that to you if you like.

Sorry I can't help any more.

Kind Regards,

Vangelis
  • edited June 2009
    BEAUTIFUL piece Jordan! Are you going to get in filled in?
  • edited June 2009
    Hi Vangelis...

thanks, I would like to! thank you so much, Vangelis. :)

Regards,

Winaldo
  • edited July 2009
    wow a lot of beautiful tattoos especially sambodhi, though i think i'm too scared to get something that big.

i want to get "anicca" written in pali but i don't know how it's written or anything

i attended a talk by s.n goenka? and heard a story on it there so wanted to get that ever since.

does anyone have maybe a picture of it written out? to show the tattoo artist?

would really appreciate any help, if anyone here has the writing skills and a camera :D

kind regards,
    Jin
  • edited August 2009
    Hi there,

I'm new to this forum and had a question for a tattoo I would like to get. I would like to some lines from the dhammapada tattooed, but I can't seem to a find a nice font that I'd care to have inked on my body. I would like to get a tattoo of

Manopubbaṅgammā dhammā
    Manoseṭṭhā manomayā
    Manasā ce paduṭṭhena

We are what we think
    All that we are arises with our thoughts
    With our thoughts we make the world

If anyone knows of a site or a font (or a book!) where I could find this text, I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks!
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited August 2009
    Hi, PrairieGirl.

Unfortunately I can't help with the script but I did want to say welcome and that I think your choice is a fantastic one. I can't tell you how many times that particular verse comes into my head every day. It's had a profound impact on my life and understanding. So, great choice and welcome to the site. :)
  • edited August 2009
    Hi PrairieGirl,

I can help you with the Dhammapada in the Devanagari script which is what I used to extract the text for my tattoo. Just PM me with your email address and I can send it to you. If anyone else would like it, just PM me.

Edit: I just noticed that your quote is the first verse of the Dhammapada. I hadn't seen that translation of it before. It should be easy for you then to identify the Pali text you require.

Metta,

Vangelis
  • edited August 2009
    I'm hoping to get 'love' tattooed on the inside of my wrist this week - in sanskrit. I want the universal meaning of the word - not connected to sensuality or a certain type of love. So not wanting to mess this up lol, what word do I choose?