Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhist Tattoos

Comments

• edited August 2009
    Sara, you're a genius! You have given me an idea for my next tattoo! I think I will try to base it on the 4 Brahmaviharas, or the Four Divine Abidings. One of those is the one you are looking for: Metta = Loving-Kindness. I will check my Pali Dhammapada to see if I can find the word Metta (and the other Brahmaviharas) in the Devanagari script.

Metta (;)),

Vangelis
  • edited August 2009
    I couldn't find the Brahmaviharas in the Dhammapada but I have found some very interesting websites. Firstly, the Dhammapada online in the Devanagari script is here and an amazing translation website is here. This last website is remarkable because you can type in the Romanised Pali of the words you are interested in and it can convert them to other scripts such as Devanagari!!! Make sure you select unicode for the Source and Devanagari for the target. Oh, and I found it works best with all characters lower case. Anyway, experiment and have fun with it! I know I will!

Metta (or मेत्त),

Vangelis
  • edited August 2009
    I always like to read something like this. That is usually a bit hard to find valuable information on the internet. And I found your post using Yahoo and I can say I the time spent was worth reading.
  • kennykenny Explorer
    edited August 2009
    I’ve been thinking about Buddhist tattoos for some time now as a way for me to always have the Dhamma with me. My memory is horrible and so is my mindfulness so I tend to forget everything I learn and resort back to my normal self. So I decided that I’m going to get some done as a way to constantly remind me of what I am trying to accomplish and of what I need to work on.

I originally wanted to get Thai script done and some designs but after much contemplation on the matter I decided it best to go with English lettering because that would be more meaningful where as the Thai script would basically be pretty pictures to me since I cannot read a single thing in Thai. I also decided to go simple. I am trying to let go of the image of self and the ego and having a bunch of fancy designs would only serve to be pleasing to the self and not so much as a tool to help me progress along the path.

I started my adventure with a single word for now but to me it’s the most important. Sati or mindfulness and it’s in a place that I will see it all the time.

sati002.jpg
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited August 2009
    Nice!
    I think that's one of the smartest reasons to tattoo oneself and one of the smartest choices, too. Well done, kenny!
  • kennykenny Explorer
    edited August 2009
    Well I got my next installment of Dhamma tattoos. I spent some time in Photoshop making these 2 wheels up. I always liked the simple Dharma wheel used as spacers in Jack Kornfields book “Teachings of the Buddha”. I used this design and messed with it a bit to make it more my own. On my back I created a many spoke wheel of craving. I placed it on my back to symbolize the need to let go and put behind me all my desires and cravings. And I placed the wheel of Dhamma on my chest over my heart to symbolize the need to follow the path with all my heart and free myself from this burden of suffering. As a side note I suggest to anyone thinking about a chest tattoo to really think it through, the pain that accompanies the tattooing of the sternum is quite intense. I only have the one actual picture of my chest for now. The picture was taken about 10 hours after it was done so that’s why it looks quite flaky. I will get a buddy at work to take a picture of the one on my back possibly tomorrow. I have also loaded up the original designs that I made in Photoshop. The next tattoo that I actually have planned will probably be done next year when I have some money saved up since it will be the most expensive.

tattoo_wheel_4.jpg

dharma_wheel.jpg
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited August 2009
    Very nice!

Your description of the pain getting your chest tattooed sounds awful. Nice result though.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited August 2009
    As a wacko wanna-be psychologist I once knew said, "Pain is ecstasy!"

I actually found that the pain I experienced when being tatooed, which I would describe as what I imagine it would be like to be burned by a lit cigarette for about 2 hours straight, actually did become a sort of ecstasy after a time. Interesting how perception works.

Palzang
  • kennykenny Explorer
    edited August 2009
    Here is the picture of my back. . .

back001.jpg

Truthfully the pain wasn’t that bad for me till the sternum. I used it as a time to practice my mindfulness and examine the way habit teaches us to view pain as bad. I spent the majority of the time focusing on the pain and noticing the rise, peak, and failing away of it. Noticing its impermanence helps let go of the habit of viewing it as a bad thing. However, once the needle hit the sternum it was much like Palzang said, felt like a torch on my skin and my breathing seized up as well as every muscle. After about 10 minutes I was back to focusing but, it was quite difficult.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited August 2009
    Nice one on the back too, Kenny! Good idea for tatts.

Speaking of using pain for practice, (which I do with my back all the time) I have a really hard time walking barefoot on gravel. Not the really big stuff, which I don't even attempt, but the medium sized stuff my sister has on her driveway. I've been house sitting for the past 2 weeks and I have to put the sprinklers on for 10 minutes at night and I have to walk across her driveway to get to the sprinklers. I wanted to try to do it barefoot so I gave it a shot on my first night here. Couldn't do it. WAY too painful. (I know, there's something weird about the sensitivity of my feet.) I kept trying and last night I went out and said to myself "Okay, just feel it. It's not actually going to hurt you. It's just going to cause a sensation. So let yourself feel it and see how bad it is." So I did and it wasn't that bad at all. My perception of it without thinking it through reasonably was so different from when I did think about it reasonably. Two totally different experiences. So interesting, our minds.
  • kennykenny Explorer
    edited August 2009
    I have had that same experience myself. We have a gravel drive way as well and every time I needed something from the car or needed to get the mail I made sure I went barefooted for this exact lesson. I’ve always worn shoes so I completely understand your issue with sensitive feet. It just goes to show you how much suffering we actually makeup in our minds about things. I find this also applies to cold or hot weather depending on which you show aversion towards. Its really quite intriguing.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited August 2009
    It just goes to show you how much suffering we actually makeup in our minds about things.
    SO true.
    Coming to the realization that the majority of my suffering was directly self inflicted was a huge thing for me. A real awakening.

Your example of weather is another great one and I've been working a lot on that one this summer because it's heat that I have an aversion to.

Now all I have to do is work harder with the mosquitoes because they're driving me nuts! Lol!
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited August 2009
    Actually it's all self-inflicted, so cheer up! :D

That was actually a real break point for me. I was reading Bodhidharma when he made that point, that we're responsible for all the suffering (and happiness) we experience. It really hit me then and completely flipped over my attitude.

Palzang
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited August 2009
    Yeah, I wasn't sure how to word that. When I was trying to make the distinction between self-inflicted suffering and what I was thinking of as unavoidable suffering I was thinking about natural disasters and being tortured and stuff like that. But of course those kinds of things don't have to make a person suffer if they have equanimity and lack of grasping attachment and so forth, do they?

I guess the distinction I was trying to make was the kind of suffering that's completely silly like getting very upset when the rain ruins your new hair-do, as opposed to those things which are a little (or a lot) more challenging to endure with equanimity, you know? But ultimately of course it's just as you said, "all self-inflicted".

Doesn't that make you feel so incredibly free? So relieved? For a slightly obsessive compulsive person the knowledge that it's ultimately all down to me changed everything. Again, like you said, it flipped over my attitude too. Almost a 180 degree turn in perspective. It's powerful, isn't it? It really lights a fire in my belly to achieve enlightenment. With patient endurance of course. :buck:

I just remembered the title of this thread and realized I hijacked it by digression. :)
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited August 2009
    Yes, but a nice digression. And you're right, that little AHA! realization puts you in the driver's seat and gives you complete control over your life, which I find extremely liberating.

Now, about those tatoos...

(I like yours, btw, Kenny)

Palzang
  • kennykenny Explorer
    edited August 2009
    Brigid wrote: »
    I just remembered the title of this thread and realized I hijacked it by digression. :)

Yes and no, tattoos are about teaching us and reminding us of the path. Your wonderful experiences that you chose to share with us strengthens this and you never know you might give someone an idea for a tattoo. :)

And thank you kindly Palzang
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited August 2009
    kenny wrote: »
    Yes and no, tattoos are about teaching us and reminding us of the path. Your wonderful experiences that you chose to share with us strengthens this and you never know you might give someone an idea for a tattoo. :)

And thank you kindly Palzang
    That's sweet, kenny. Thank you!
  • edited August 2009
    You guys are KILLING me! I'm itching to get a new tattoo!!!! So many great designs here. Keep them coming so I can make my selection! :D

~nomad
  • edited September 2009
    hello everyone iwas looking to have some english translated into pali. does anyone know where i can find out the text i was looking to translate is "What we think, we become" any help would be appreciated
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited September 2009
    Hi, holysnoopy.

Welcome to the forum.

I think the text you might be referring to is the Dhammapada.
  • edited September 2009
    thanks i was wondering where the text came from but i was looking more for the written translation so to incorporate it into a tattoo

so pretty much the pali spelling of "what we think, we become"
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2009
    hey, and welcome!

Could I also point out that although this is is an interpretation of the Dhammapada, it is not a correct one....?

If you'd like the correct translation, here it is:
    Mind is the forerunner of (all evil) states. Mind is chief; mind-made are they. If one speaks or acts with wicked mind, suffering follows one, even as the wheel follows the hoof of the draught-ox.

Mind is the forerunner of (all good) states. Mind is chief; mind-made are they. If one speaks or acts with pure mind, AFFECTION follows one, even as one's shadow that never leaves.

from here:

(and a very similar version is in my signature, too.....;) )
  • StaticToyboxStaticToybox Veteran
    edited September 2009
    There's some great ink work here. Especially sambodhi's (that's just stunning). I myself have a few tattoos, but nothing of any meaning, nor particularly quality work. Remnants of my early 20's self, when I wanted tattoos, but didn't anything really meaningful in my life. I plan to get some Buddhist tats and eventually have these old ones covered, but I'll start with something more simple at first. I'm been thinking of getting an Endless Knot.
  • edited September 2009
    I got some more work on my sleeve... The outline is all finished, now time to start coloring in.

Buddha (2 hours)

6094_508288975683_302200285_260171_5687769_n.jpg
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited September 2009
    nice work.
    I have the chinese symbols for "earth" on my right shoulder. My interpretation of "down to earth or, Grounded"
    I also have a circular shaped, blue, celtic endless knot on my left shoulder. I consider both tattoos to be Buddhist in meaning.

I'm pierced as well although that's not "buddhist" is it?
  • kennykenny Explorer
    edited September 2009
    Lovely Buddha tattoo you have there, can’t believe that was only 2 hours though. That small wheel on my back was 2 and a half and the one on my chest 1 and a half.
  • RenGalskapRenGalskap Veteran
    edited September 2009
    Xrayman wrote: »
    I'm pierced as well although that's not "buddhist" is it?
    Is that the diamond cutting wisdom that pierces delusion?
  • specialkaymespecialkayme Veteran
    edited September 2009
    kenny wrote: »
    Lovely Buddha tattoo you have there, can’t believe that was only 2 hours though. That small wheel on my back was 2 and a half and the one on my chest 1 and a half.

It all depends on the artist, their experience, what they feel comfortable with, the detail that they put into it, bla bla bla.

If you have the same artwork, it could take one artist a half an hour, and it could take another three and a half hours. Personally I would rather go with the longer one though, much more detail, and you can feel better knowing you got a quality product. That's just me though.
  • edited September 2009
    holysnoopy wrote: »
    thanks i was wondering where the text came from but i was looking more for the written translation so to incorporate it into a tattoo

so pretty much the pali spelling of "what we think, we become"

Hi holysnoopy,

Now that Federica has kindly quoted the Dhammapada with the reference you were interested in (which are the first 2 verses of the Dhammapada), I can help you with a Pali translation in the Devanagari script. Just PM me with your email address and I can email you a pdf of the Pali Dhammapada in the Devanagari script.

Kind Regards,

Vangelis
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited September 2009
    RenGalskap wrote: »
    Is that the diamond cutting wisdom that pierces delusion?

Wow, I wish it was!:o
  • edited October 2009
    it's only henna, but... IMG_4914-1.jpg
  • edited October 2009
    This is not on me, but I felt compelled to share it because of how beautiful it is. Red tattoos are not very common...

M4IrR.jpg
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited October 2009
    That is beautiful. It's never occurred to me before but you're right, red tats are rare. I really like it. Sky blue would be a colour I'd like for a tat. Hmmmm....
  • edited October 2009
    Hi everyone, what is the symbolism of the sun and the moon in Buddhism?
  • edited October 2009
    The start and end of each day....? ;)
  • kennykenny Explorer
    edited October 2009
    Brigid wrote: »
    That is beautiful. It's never occurred to me before but you're right, red tats are rare. I really like it. Sky blue would be a colour I'd like for a tat. Hmmmm....

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5Ckmh%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> I was originally going to go with blue for all of mine kind of like all the blue pigment tattoos you see from ages ago in history but, in the end I figured boring black would be better. I don’t wanna build up on that poor sense of self anymore than it already is lol.
  • edited October 2009
    Hahaha! Good one.:p
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited October 2009
    deeeyes wrote: »
    Hi everyone, what is the symbolism of the sun and the moon in Buddhism?
    as far as I know, they bear no special significance at all.
    The Lotus is symbolic, but the solar system is nothing to do with anything....
    However, I found this....But it's specific to a particular Tradition, and not generally associated with all branches of Buddhism....
  • edited October 2009
    Very nice Buddha backpiece...

ENNkb.jpg
  • edited October 2009
    Hey!

http://endowment.worldtipitaka.info/world-tipitaka-edition-table-of-content-in-40-vols/world-tipitaka-suttantapitaka/vol-18-khuddakapathapali

I was wondering if anyone knows if this is Pali, and if so - in which script? :)
    I am - as everyone else here, getting a tattoo, from the dhammapada
  • edited October 2009
    Hey!

http://endowment.worldtipitaka.info/world-tipitaka-edition-table-of-content-in-40-vols/world-tipitaka-suttantapitaka/vol-18-khuddakapathapali

I was wondering if anyone knows if this is Pali, and if so - in which script? :)
    I am - as everyone else here, getting a tattoo, from the dhammapada

Hi Fenyletylamin,

I'm not really sure but this looks like Thai script to me. I couldn't tell you if it's Pali though.

Sorry couldn't be of more help.

Vangelis
  • edited October 2009
    sambodhi wrote: »
    Very nice Buddha backpiece...

ENNkb.jpg

Now, that's impressive. I'm too much of a chicken to get something like that! But I respect the dude!
  • edited October 2009
    that's okay :)
    I was hoping it was kharosthi/brahmi or something, but i guessed not, felt that i had to ask though hehe
    Vangelis wrote: »
    Hi Fenyletylamin,

I'm not really sure but this looks like Thai script to me. I couldn't tell you if it's Pali though.

Sorry couldn't be of more help.

Vangelis
  • edited October 2009
    that's okay :)
    I was hoping it was kharosthi/brahmi or something, but i guessed not, felt that i had to ask though hehe

The brahmi and karosthi scripts were much more basic looking scripts. You can see the brahmi alphabet here. I believe that the Brahmi script was used by King Ashoka to write down his edicts.
  • edited October 2009
    EdoEg.jpg
  • edited January 2010
    This isn't a Buddhist tattoo but has a buddhist meaning. In fact it is Celtic.
    I did it almost three years ago and took the picture when I got it finished (that's why my arm it's shaved:))
    It's in my forearm and it is a bracelet and the Tree of life, both are endless knots which mean reincarnation

dsc01567b.jpg

dsc01565bx.jpg

dsc01563b.jpg
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2010
    The endless knot symbolizes the interconnectedness of all things.

Palzang
  • edited January 2010
    Palzang wrote: »
    The endless knot symbolizes the interconnectedness of all things.

Palzang

Great! I've just found one more meaning to my tattoo! jaja
    I also read somewhere that the endless knots for the Celtics meant rencarnation. Obviously in a different way as I believe it, but it was close:D
  • BaileyDBaileyD Explorer
    edited March 2010
    I found two I really really like lately. I think I may have to get one someday.