Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Reincarnation; why I don' t believe.

Comments

• @Fivebells
    cc: Tess

You know (I hope) that I do not think it neccessary to belive in rebirth to cultivate.

But I have to say that the kind of reasoning the OP is making in the first post is from a misunderstanind of Anatta and missunderstanding of the concept suffering.

The first missunderstanding is the literal translation of the term Anatta to mean no self. (Yes I know she wrote non-self but if you follow the use of the concept in the rest of the argument it seems clear she interprets it as no-self. correct me please if i am wrong)

The second misunderstanding is the Suffering. Suffering for 50 to 100 years in the correct understanding of suffering does not have to be unbearable at all and thus is no motivation to Cultivate.

When missunderstaning in this way one can come to the erraneous conlusion Tess has.

From novice in Buddhism:

All Buddhists aim to find ‘’non self’’
    All Buddhist believe that life is suffering.

It should read I think:

All buddhist Aim to attain Nibbana (not non-self whatever that means (I am curios not taunting)).
    All Buddhist believe that Samsara is suffering.

I am open for discussion though.

IMO
    Victor

Victor thank you for your post but I need to take my time to search some terms in it.
    Before - I can only say: No comment and hope you will have patience with me.

• ...if it ends with physical death then why bother being a buddhist?
    Haven't we covered this ground before?
    You and I? Several times and at great length and detail.

Hush I am speaking to Tess. I am curios to hear her motivation.

PLS forgive me but I had so much food for thought here that I need time to answer your post with the full respect which it deserves...
  • I have to admit that I have only got to the first page.
    All the posts there left me with so much food for thought that I have to take a break.
    THANK you because all those posts were valuable to me and I respect them too much to just enter the ‘’blabla mode’’

Namasti
  • I don't appreciate the use of the term "rebirth fundamentalism". That, too, strikes me as pompous and rude.

It's possible there are fundamentalists on both sides of the debate.

P
    Ya think?

• I am just taking the rhetorical position that the extreme of nihilism leads to precisely that- nihilism.
    It's disingenuous to conflate nihilism with the belief that post-mortem rebirth is unlikely. For most of my life, I firmly believed that we are adventitious phenomena in a universe which doesn't care about us, and we will go out like a light when we die, but I have never been a nihilist. (These days, I am more relaxed about post-mortem beliefs. It's more honest just to admit that I have no way of knowing for sure what's going to happen.)
    ...the extreme of nihilism removes any purpose at all from the practice of Buddhism beyond the personal existential decision to practice for the sake of virtue or the sake of personal peace of mind, or for the sake of having compassion for other people.
    As opposed to the high-flown purpose of buying your own ass a happy rebirth in the next life by being a good boy in this one? (Again, here I'm assuming that "the extreme of nihilism" is a sly derogatory reference to "rejection of the theory of rebirth.")
    A belief in passage of the stream of consciousness from lifetime to lifetime can provide crucial motivation for those who can't find motivation anywhere else.
    If you can't find motivation in the benefits which accrue from meditation in this life, then you haven't had those benefits explained to you very well.
  • It's possible there are fundamentalists on both sides of the debate.
    :lol:
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited April 2011
    Yes, I can imagine: ‘’imagine ceasing to exist, to percieve, to be conscious.’’
    Personally, I imagine this often, so my mind is at perfect ease & acceptence with it.

The Buddha called it meditation on death and recommended the practice highly for those for which it is suitable.

:coffee:
    Monks, mindfulness of death — when developed & pursued — is of great fruit & great benefit. It gains a footing in the Deathless, has the Deathless as its final end.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an06/an06.020.than.html
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an06/an06.019.than.html

When sensing a feeling limited to life, one discerns that 'I am sensing a feeling limited to life.' One discerns that 'With the break-up of the body, after the termination of life, all that is sensed, not being relished, will grow cold right here.'

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.140.than.html
  • Below is a traditional common chanting meditation on death. In many Theravada monastaries, such chanting is done on a daily basis.

(Source: http://www.thomasriddle.net/swan_mokh/chants/pages/swan-mok-chanting_16.htm)

:)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Maybe some don't make it to the Light right away, and clinging to afflictive emotions, get stuck en route somewhere...
    That's exactly what happens my friend. There are endless "somewheres" to get stuck in as well. The cosmos is a mighty large place, even on a physical dimension. It's much larger when one considers a multi-dimensional universe.
    Too true, friends....just like those push-button, sliding-door public toilets when they get stuck. A veritable Hell Realm "somewhere" in the high street multi dimensional cosmos !

:eek2:
    :D

They used to have those on Market St. and around Embarcadero in the 90's. I think they locked them all up due to misuse of them. You can imagine all the hell like illegal activities that went on in those things.
  • VictoriousVictorious Grim Veteran
    You keep referring to the sixth sense and ill be honest, I have no idea what you are talking about but im pretty sure you're not talking about the movie. At least I hope ur not.
    The sixth sense is the mind sense. Here you go Ric.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ayatana.

Agreeing to disagree is alright with me. :).

So I guess a question comes down -- are only the "mystical" (for wont of a better word) experiences of Buddhists to be believed? Or can we equally believe in the experiences Christians relate?

Since I have alot of Christian friends I have compared the two and there is nothing that really contradicts the other. The Buddhist view on the spirit world encompasses the Christian.

BTW. I know Buddhist people who have seen devas by following the excersises described to se Devas. It should be possible for any one to do. But I do not really see any point out of Buddhist perspective.

Are these all on par? or is inter-dimensional bigfoot too far out ? (Im not being disrespectful here but there are ppl who believe in inter-dimensional bigfoot).
    The burden of proof in buddhism is on your self. You are free to believe or disbelieve whatever you like whatever others may say. So you can believe in bigfoot or that the world is round because others say so.

You do believe the world is round dont you Ric? Because others who have not seen it for them selves says so? Whats the difference then in your belief in that the round world or your belief in bigfoot?

Just because you have a memory from a past life...
    The term the Buddha used, pubbenivāsaṃ, does not mean "life" or "jiva". It means "dwelling" or "abode (abiding)"

In this case I agree with Ric. I do not really give a hoot what the suttas says. I remember what I remember.

It is difficult to escape something if we believe so strongly in it.
    :-/
    Exactly. So you keep telling me but can never explain what that has to do explicitly with rebirth? It extends to all strong attachment.

What if you have a vision of rebirth and then I have a vision showing me rebirth is a myth. Who is right?
    You are free to believe what ever you like but the one saying rebirth is a myth is not scientific nor logical. Just so you know...

...in your argument you seem to say there is an objective truth that can be experiensed subjectivley?
    Victorious, you're getting your relative and absolute truths mixed up. This whole thread is about the objective truth of reincarnation, which is a relative matter.
    I think I just got this. And the correct response should be:

ha aha ha hah ha. Very funny.

:)
    What is non-self?

And if it ends with physical death then why bother being a buddhist?

/Puzzeled

Hmmmm. Since this thread is specifically about reincarnation, your answer sounds as if you are saying that your ONLY purpose in following Buddhist principles is to support your reincarnation?

:clap:

:p

• The term the Buddha used, pubbenivāsaṃ, does not mean "life" or "jiva". It means "dwelling" or "abode (abiding)"
    But to use this to negate that the Buddha experienced or spoke about his past life/lives is silly and misguided. This is commonly interpreted as part of a discourse on his past life for good reason: when he "saw" his "dwelling" or "abode" from a past life, obviously, he was recalling aspects of his past life. To try to deny that distracts the argument with semantic quibbling.

• seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited April 2011
    Rebirth, no rebirth, reincarnation, no reincarnation. Does it really matter with regards to real life situations? If there really is rebirth, would that actually change anything right now? If there is really is no rebirth, would that actually change anything, right now? Are either of the above going to help when someone steals your car or your money or when you lose your job or when one of your parents dies of a heart attack?
  • @Fivebells
    cc: Tess

You know (I hope) that I do not think it neccessary to belive in rebirth to cultivate.

But I have to say that the kind of reasoning the OP is making in the first post is from a misunderstanind of Anatta and missunderstanding of the concept suffering.

The first missunderstanding is the literal translation of the term Anatta to mean no self. (Yes I know she wrote non-self but if you follow the use of the concept in the rest of the argument it seems clear she interprets it as no-self. correct me please if i am wrong)

The second misunderstanding is the Suffering. Suffering for 50 to 100 years in the correct understanding of suffering does not have to be unbearable at all and thus is no motivation to Cultivate.

When missunderstaning in this way one can come to the erraneous conlusion Tess has.

From novice in Buddhism:

Forgive my ignorance but what is a difference between no-self and no self?

• How about because Buddhism also teaches a moral code that improves the person and society?

Why would I care about the person and society if I am gone in 50 years? I am having good fun as it is.

I know that is difficult to have a ''full compassion'' but don’t you care about your children or grandchildren?

• Reincarnation as I originally understood it, IMHO is mumbo-jumbo superstition. However, energy is never lost or gained......it is transferred. When we die, our energy is transferred and some of that will ultimately lead to life of another kind.

I think karma is similar.... ill intentions result in negative behaviour and lead to a circle of suffering; good intention will result in the opposite.

Making the link between karma and reincarnation is somewhat more problematic for me !
    Energy, definitely.
    However our energy can be spread 2% to the future grasshopper, 0,001 to the grass or an apple in etc etc.

Karma implies ethics and I don’t think morality has any influence on physical energy.

Correct me if I am wrong.

• You need to refine your original post. I'm a Buddhist and I don't believe in reincarnation. I believe in rebirth, but it's not the same thing. I don't think I have a "need" to believe it, it's simply a logical outgrowth of the things I have examined. I think I could be a Buddhist even if I didn't (like many don't) believe in rebirth.

Why do you find it "amusing"? Why do you care what others believe? Being amused at the beliefs of others is just your ego's way of making itself superior to them, and therefore justify its own existence and building the wall around itself higher and higher.

Could you kindly tell me the difference between rebirth and reincarnation?

Thank you very much for your comment about my arrogance. I should not use the word ‘’amusing’’

I am trying hard to stop my ego but after whole life habit it does not come easy.

Sorry if I have offended.

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited April 2011
    Tibetan buddhism distinguishes between teachings to help pull you out of the kleshas (negative stains), teachings to encourage you to practice and in deeper ways, and teachings about the ultimate nature of reality.

Reincarnation is not the third one. It is a relative truth. I believe it is the first category and for some the second. In the first category it can pull you out of other more afflictive wrong views into a view that it is easier to use skillfully and easier to lead to non-grasping of the manifest sensual world.

So in my view these threads are a story in getting mixed up in the levels of teaching. But it is worthwhile to understand how the three levels are part of a whole of the teachings.
  • I'm with Victor here. Without some kind of "consciousness-essence" (for lack of a better term) that passes from lifetime to lifetime, there is no need to cultivate and there is no need to be moral. Buddhism therefore becomes an Eastern form of Existentialism at best.

I know somebody tried to explain this to me on another thread, but to be honest, I didn't get it, and I apologize. For me to take responsibility for future karma, there has to be some kind of "consciousness-essence" associated with "me" or there's no reason for me to give a rodent's rear end. Might as well just have a hedonistic good time.

I hope whoever tried to explain that to me on the other thread comes back and does that. I was going to start a thread that said "I still don't get it", but the OP saved me from that.

Are you saying that if not for religion, "consciousness-essence", karma, bible etc, we humans can be evil??????

Good question / I will need to think about it longer/.

However,

Humans are product of cruel laws of evolution.
    Energy working for million and million years – matter – living organism – consciousness.

This consciousness produces ethics, which from the evolution point of view is total waste of time.

What next?
    No idea. Consciousnesses when it comes the age of universe humans are only for a millisecond. So how can we answer?

Having morality as a product of my awareness – I hope that the universe have other ideas then evolution in the future.

Again I got stuck on this post. I will be back soon.

• RicRic
    edited April 2011

This consciousness produces ethics, which from the evolution point of view is total waste of time.

From the evolutionary perspective ethics is not a waste of time, it is rather essential. For human beings to survive and thrive they need communities and the only way a society or community will function is with ethics. This social ethics can be seen in primates so its not even exclusive to humans. In a way evolution created the golden rule.

and "cruel laws of evolution"....what cruel law is that....its actually a very amazing and inspiring process. in a way it even substantiates impermanence.
  • zidanguszidangus Veteran
    edited April 2011

What next?
    No idea. Consciousnesses when it comes the age of universe humans are only for a millisecond. So how can we answer?
    Some Buddhsits (me included) think that Mind and the Universe are beginningless.

http://www.purifymind.com/LessMind.htm

Also just because the amount of time life has been on our planet is tiny compared to the age of the Universe does not mean that life did not exist before our planet existed. There are a lot of stars in the Universe each of them with a possibility of having a planet which can sustain life.

Metta to all sentient beings
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited April 2011
    Also life is not an unchanging structure of matter. The self that reaches nirvana is not relational and composed of parts. From this standpoint being IS potential, empty. It need not be an organism.

This is my conjecture and creative thinking rather than a dharma teaching I have received.
  • edited April 2011
    Are you saying that if not for religion, "consciousness-essence", karma, bible etc, we humans can be evil??????Good question / I will need to think about it longer/.
    Some definitely can be evil, without religion. Some are evil in spite of religion. Some are evil because of religion, or misinterpretation of religion's teachings (crusades, jihads, etc.).

The important point about karma/rebirth is that although most people only need to be aware of karma as it operates in the current lifetime in order for it to function as a moral check, some people do get away with causing all manner of pain in this lifetime, without suffering the consequences. Knowing that those people will face the consequences in the next life can be a comfort to the victims of such people. Does being aware of the potential ripening of negative karma in a future lifetime deter people from leading an immoral life? I think it probably only serves as a deterrent to people already inclined to lead a moral life. We can't know for sure without going to Buddhist countries and conducting a study.
    Tibetan buddhism distinguishes between teachings to help pull you out of the kleshas (negative stains), teachings to encourage you to practice and in deeper ways, and teachings about the ultimate nature of reality.

Reincarnation is not the third one. It is a relative truth. I believe it is the first category and for some the second. In the first category it can pull you out of other more afflictive wrong views into a view that it is easier to use skillfully and easier to lead to non-grasping of the manifest sensual world.

So in my view these threads are a story in getting mixed up in the levels of teaching. But it is worthwhile to understand how the three levels are part of a whole of the teachings.
    This is helpful, Jeffrey.

edited April 2011

Forgive my ignorance but what is a difference between no-self and no self?

I was hoping you could tell me. :)

But if we start over from the beginning...
    I’ve noticed with an interest tread: Reincarnation; why I believe.

I find this quite amusing that so many Buddhists think and need a concept of reincarnation.

It seems that many are still stuck with the ‘’self’’.

From novice in Buddhism:

First of all no-self is a literal translation of Anatta. The Buddha did not teach that there was no self. Actually he stated that this was in fact as wrong to believe as if there is a self.

But many people that want to make a case against rebirth use the literal translation of Anatta to indicate that there is no self to be reborn. But since that is not what is meant then that conclusion is wrong.

Second of all it is not entirely correct to say that life is suffering since any one life can be very plesurable. But on the whole it is not. But maybe that is what you meant?

/Victor

How about because Buddhism also teaches a moral code that improves the person and society?

Why would I care about the person and society if I am gone in 50 years? I am having good fun as it is.

I know that is difficult to have a ''full compassion'' but don’t you care about your children or grandchildren?

Well ok I was being obstinate. But lets say like this. If the teaching of morality is the only goal of buddhism you could as well become a christian or muslim.

In fact Christianity has formulated the laws of morality in the easiest and most supirior form:

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Simple as Pie. No need to bother with karma and wierd Nibbana.

/Victor

• Rebirth, no rebirth, reincarnation, no reincarnation. Does it really matter with regards to real life situations? If there really is rebirth, would that actually change anything right now?
    What does it matter? Stephen Batchelor made this point:
    "Why does all this matter so much? Why did it cause me so many sleepless nights? It matters because the entire edifice of traditional Buddhist thought stands or falls on the belief in rebirth. If there was no rebirth, then why would one expend any effort in trying to liberate oneself from the cycle of birth and death and attain nirvana, the final aim of Buddhism? If there was no rebirth, then how would moral acts that do not ripen before one's death ever bear their fruits? If there was no rebirth, why would you vow to attain enlightenment for the sake of all sentient beings, a task that will take endless lifetimes to complete?"

Rebirth, no rebirth, reincarnation, no reincarnation. Does it really matter with regards to real life situations? If there really is rebirth, would that actually change anything right now? If there is really is no rebirth, would that actually change anything, right now? Are either of the above going to help when someone steals your car or your money or when you lose your job or when one of your parents dies of a heart attack?
    I would say that having right view in those cases is exaclty when it helps.

" Right view that sides with merit..."

Believing in rebirth will make it easier to part with a loved one who dies because you know sooner or later you will meet them again.

When you lose your job or wallet you know on the whole it does not really matter. And it is easier to have empathy with the thief since you know that once upon a time you have been in the same position as the thief and sometime in the future you will be again.

/Victor

• What does it matter? Stephen Batchelor made this point...
    I assume that's a quote from Confession of a Buddhist Atheist. It's worth noting that it goes on to biographically demonstrate how to live effectively in the Dharma without depending on a belief in post-mortem rebirth, both in its description of Batchelor's life, and in its description of the Buddha's.
    What does it matter? Stephen Batchelor made this point...
    I assume that's a quote from Confession of a Buddhist Atheist. It's worth noting that it goes on to biographically demonstrate how to live effectively in the Dharma without depending on a belief in post-mortem rebirth, both in its description of Batchelor's life, and in its description of the Buddha's.
    But SB does not in fact deny that there is Rebirth. Rather he is open to the possibility that there might be rebirth...

If I am not mistaken.

/Victor
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited April 2011
    Yes, he is about as open to the possibility of post-mortem rebirth as I am. (I accept post-mortem rebirth as a possibility, I just think it's very unlikely because there's no information available about post-mortem experience.) He is quite insistent, however, that the belief is not necessary to effective practice, and that his own practice was held back for years by confusion about that and other forms of magical thinking and authoritarianism in traditional Buddhist institutions.
  • Quoting Gunaratana talking about the five lower fetters,

"rebith...not to be confused with reincarnation!"
  • Correct, Fivebells and Victorious. That's why SB considers himself a "Buddhist Atheist".
  • Are you saying that if not for religion, "consciousness-essence", karma, bible etc, we humans can be evil??????

Having morality as a product of my awareness – I hope that the universe have other ideas then evolution in the future.
    Acting morally because you feel your consciousness demands it of you or because you believe that the evolution of the universe demands it of you is Existentialism.

The evolution of the universe is all just atoms taking various forms meaninglessly, isn't it? Or is it?

What I'm saying is that fundamentally if there is no consequence for me beyond this lifetime, then it is ok for me to do lawful but immoral acts (so I don't get caught and punished) in this lifetime. And to answer fivebells from earlier, if I decide that the benefits of these acts are more appealing to me than meditation, then that's my choice.

What does it matter if the universe is evolving in a particular direction if in the end it all goes black?

And, again, what does it matter how I act in this lifetime if in the end it all goes black?

• How about because Buddhism also teaches a moral code that improves the person and society?

Well ok I was being obstinate. But lets say like this. If the teaching of morality is the only goal of buddhism you could as well become a christian or muslim.

In fact Christianity has formulated the laws of morality in the easiest and most supirior form:

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Simple as Pie. No need to bother with karma and wierd Nibbana.

/Victor

It seems I have started unswerving posts from the end and not going systematically. Sorry.

I have never said that the ‘’teaching of morality is the only goal of Buddhism’’

As to all other religions: I have dismissed them from the beginning.

I am an atheist. / ok, with a little part of an agnosticism/.

However, I am mesmerized by Buddhism because:

- of its huge knowledge of human’s psychology.
    - great stand on ethics
    - having so many right ideas prior to human science reasoning.

I don’t know where my compassion as an opposition to my DNA comes from BUT I KNOW that the answer is far being simple as pie.

• SabreSabre Veteran
    edited April 2011
    Yes, he is about as open to the possibility of post-mortem rebirth as I am. (I accept post-mortem rebirth as a possibility, I just think it's very unlikely because there's no information available about post-mortem experience.) He is quite insistent, however, that the belief is not necessary to effective practice, and that his own practice was held back for years by confusion about that and other forms of magical thinking and authoritarianism in traditional Buddhist institutions.
    Hi fivebells,

You say there is no information, but that's not true. If you are interested, if you can find some work of Ian Stevenson I'd highly recommend it. He thoroughly checked a lot of past-life memory experiences and devoted his life to researching the subject.

This is a comment on his work by a professor in philosophy that gives a good introduction.

Not to convince you or anything, but if you are open to the subject, this is really very interesting to read.

With metta,
    Sabre

• Hmmm why is it unlikely due to no information. I can see less (relative to having information) likely but I don't see 'un'. There not being information is internally consistent with the framingwork of the rebirth. Only highly realized beings have an understanding of karma and the nature of reality. Thus it is internally consistent that we don't have access to this information.

It is like the hypothesis that there could possibly be other senses in an organism. Such as a magnetic sense, though there is no sense organ. We don't have evidence that a magnetic sense is possible (ok pretend there is no study of biology of organisms other than humans and that we may only study ourselves). But it is internally consistent that we shouldn't have evidence since of course we don't have a sense organ for magnetic sense.

Similarly a being that is not highly realized (as internally consistent with discussion of rebirth) does not have the 'sense organ' (understanding) to realize rebirth.
  • ...what does it matter how I act in this lifetime if in the end it all goes black?
    The problem with this line of reasoning is that empirically there's no obvious connection betwenn a lack of belief in post-mortem retribution and unethical behavior. image
    SB has even admitted to there being strong evidence in favor of rebirth.

• You say there is no information, but that's not true. If you are interested, if you can find some work of Ian Stevenson I'd highly recommend it. He thoroughly checked a lot of past-life memory experiences and devoted his life to researching the subject.

This is a comment on his work by a professor in philosophy that gives a good introduction.
    Well, it counts as information, I suppose, but it's not very informative, because there are too many plausible alternative explanations for his cases.

Also, it's over four years since his death, now. But maybe his reincarnated self hasn't learned numbers yet? Or maybe reincarnation doesn't work that way, and he just hasn't come back to earth yet? Or maybe it's just that his reincarnation has forgotten the combination he was supposed to bring back to his department members? That's one of the problems with his "research." There's no coherent conceptual framework to it. No one knows how reincarnation/rebirth would actually work, so there's very little in the way of hypotheses to test.
  • SB has even admitted to there being strong evidence in favor of rebirth.
    That's interesting. Where'd he say that?
    Edit: I take that back for now. Can not find the article...
  • Are you saying that if not for religion, "consciousness-essence", karma, bible etc, we humans can be evil??????

Acting morally because you feel your consciousness demands it of you or because you believe that the evolution of the universe demands it of you is Existentialism.

The evolution of the universe is all just atoms taking various forms meaninglessly, isn't it? Or is it?

What I'm saying is that fundamentally if there is no consequence for me beyond this lifetime, then it is ok for me to do lawful but immoral acts (so I don't get caught and punished) in this lifetime. And to answer fivebells from earlier, if I decide that the benefits of these acts are more appealing to me than meditation, then that's my choice.

What does it matter if the universe is evolving in a particular direction if in the end it all goes black?

And, again, what does it matter how I act in this lifetime if in the end it all goes black?

I wish I could use parts of the quotes on this forum. / Can I? /
    Or at least use Italic or different color to note what is the quote?

So my own way:

YOU said:

‘’The evolution of the universe is all just atoms taking various forms meaninglessly, isn't it? Or is it?’’

Meaninglessly?

Not at all.

The evolution of matter and even further of simple life was not pointless.
    As far as we know our consciousness was a product / or a by product. / and an able reciver of it.

You said:

‘’What I'm saying is that fundamentally if there is no consequence for me beyond this lifetime, then it is ok for me to do lawful but immoral acts (so I don't get caught and punished) in this lifetime. And to answer fivebells from earlier, if I decide that the benefits of these acts are more appealing to me than meditation, then that's my choice.’’

Sure it is your choice. /assuming that the free will exists/.

Do tell me , are you not being immoral because you are scared of punishment?

You said:

“”What does it matter if the universe is evolving in a particular direction if in the end it all goes black?””

I don’t know what direction the universe is evolving.
    I believe that for me individually will go blank / you call it black/

BUT SO WHAT??? :coffee:
  • Hmmm why is it unlikely due to no information.
    An honest assessment of a hypothesis has to give roughly equal weighting to all alternatives which explain the data equally well. When there is effectively no data, all hypotheses explain the data approximately equally well. So you have to assign all of them approximately equal probability if you're honest. Since the number of hypotheses about post-mortem experience which fit the available data is not even limited only by our imaginations, the probability which should reasonably be assigned to any one hypothesis is effectively zero.
    edited April 2011
    Al right here we go. SB says there is evidence of rebirth here.

Batchelor: Stevenson investigated something like 1,700 cases in the course of his life of which I think he says that there are 47 that he cannot explain by any other means than by past and future lives, and I agree with you that that's evidence.

Read the entire article here

http://www.tricycle.com/feature/3857-1.html'
    SB has even admitted to there being strong evidence in favor of rebirth.
    That's interesting. Where'd he say that?
  • ...what does it matter how I act in this lifetime if in the end it all goes black?
    The problem with this line of reasoning is that empirically there's no obvious connection betwenn a lack of belief in post-mortem retribution and unethical behavior.

Right. So the obverse would be true as well. There's no obvious connection between unethical behavior and a lack of belief in post-mortem retribution.

..."full of sound and fury, signifying nothing".
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited April 2011
    That is like saying it is unlikely that you will catch one fish because there is the possibility of catching 1-20. And it qould be equally unlikely that there is no rebirth due to the many possibilities.

There either is or isn't rebirth. Two possibilities. Does that make it 50 50 by your logic? Flip a coin. Equal probablity that there is and isn't a spaghetti monster.
  • Funny you should bring that up, Jeffrey. Actually, one of the first examples Dirichlet gave for this style of reasoning was an estimate of the probability the sun would rise tomorrow.
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited April 2011
    Right. So the obverse would be true as well. There's no obvious connection between unethical behavior and a lack of belief in post-mortem retribution.

..."full of sound and fury, signifying nothing".
    Not sure what you're pointing to, here.
  • fivebells sorry I edited my post. I decided the sun didn't apply.
This discussion has been closed.