Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Reincarnation; why I don' t believe.

Comments

• I understand subscribing objective experience with labels and such. An experience is neither good, bad or neutral, it just is an experience. To me what defines reality, you pick up a racket, you hit a ball with a racket. Thats reality. A chainsaw goes through your forearm, you have no forearm, thats reality.

If you meditate and have a vision of hitting a ball with a racket, that is not objective reality.

What I understand from Buddhism is to get the real objective reality without the subjective labels, without separating you and the phenomenon. I dont see how that denies the existence of an objective reality.

so thats what I see as reality...
  • VictoriousVictorious Grim Veteran

Shera and Victorious make a common argument Christians make that I think is very superficial. Namely that if you dont believe you will be judged why treat ppl well, why not go out and try to screw everyone over and always seek pleasure. To me that is just a false proposition, I chose and want to be good because that is what I want to be, even if no one will judge me ever and if my life ends and thats it, I would still rather leave a positive mark. If your moral code is solely based on an idea of continuing life or judgment then I think it is that person who has to re-evaluate his stance. I choose to do good, I am not compelled.
    I think maybe you have a littebit too livley fantasy...I was referring to a good family life with my woman and my sons...

And what has doing good to do with buddhist training? I know how to behave but doing good will not get you to nibbana. That is totally irrelevant to the issue.

So this is really no good refutal of anything I have said.

• aMattaMatt Veteran
    I dont see how that denies the existence of an objective reality.

Its usually noted that there is no center to the observer, no real "person" or static being who is observing an objective reality... so its not really a denial, its more about being unhelpful to polarize observation between subjective and objective. Objects exist only for the moments we define them as such.

If a tree falls, there is vibration of air molecules, but no sound, as there is no centric observer to convert the vibration into sensation. So an ever shifting vibration may be present outside perception, but it only arrives as a real observable form as we brush up against it with our nerves>sense>brain. And, we can't experience it without sensing it, so it is better to keep our focus on where it is actually applicable, which is in the arising of suffering in ourselves and others as they brush up against whatever it might or might not be.
  • aMattaMatt Veteran

Its funny how conversations can appear to be like games of chess.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

Shera and Victorious make a common argument Christians make that I think is very superficial. Namely that if you dont believe you will be judged why treat ppl well, why not go out and try to screw everyone over and always seek pleasure. To me that is just a false proposition, I chose and want to be good because that is what I want to be, even if no one will judge me ever and if my life ends and thats it, I would still rather leave a positive mark. If your moral code is solely based on an idea of continuing life or judgment then I think it is that person who has to re-evaluate his stance. I choose to do good, I am not compelled.
    I think maybe you have a littebit too livley fantasy...I was referring to a good family life with my woman and my sons...

And what has doing good to do with buddhist training? I know how to behave but doing good will not get you to nibbana. That is totally irrelevant to the issue.

I have to admit that I read your comments the way that Ric read them.

I think what Ric and I are saying is that getting to nibbana is not all there is in life, particularly when we don't KNOW FOR A FACT that that is the way it all works. And so, we chose to live a life that is positive, not because we feel compelled to due to scriptures from any source, but because we think it is the right thing to do.
    I understand subscribing objective experience with labels and such. An experience is neither good, bad or neutral, it just is an experience. To me what defines reality, you pick up a racket, you hit a ball with a racket. Thats reality. A chainsaw goes through your forearm, you have no forearm, thats reality.

If you meditate and have a vision of hitting a ball with a racket, that is not objective reality.

What I understand from Buddhism is to get the real objective reality without the subjective labels, without separating you and the phenomenon. I dont see how that denies the existence of an objective reality.

I think reality is much more subjective and simple than that. Let me give you some examples.

You wake up in a hospital and before you can move a doctor comes in and tells you.

"You were in an accident and you have no legs left". Would you believe the doctor even if you can still feel your legs without checking first?

If you go to a doctor and she tells you that Dear Shirley you are a bit confused. Actually your name is Shirley and you are about to have a baby girl. Due to complications and severe trauma during childbirth you are hallucinating that you are this guy Ric... would you believe her just like that or would you make sure first?

My point is reality for you is what you are convinced that you experience not what really is there. Nobody else can tell you what is real or not. And your experience is subjective there is no other experience unless you are enlightened according to buddhism.

Lets consider your example of a chopped of forearm. You look at it and some neurons in your head fire in some fashion. If I were to look at it some other neurons in my brain would fire is another pattern. Is that objective reality? Neuron patterns in our brain?

The forearm is real because you are convinced it is. The dream is not real because you are convinced it is not. There is no other reality than that. That is in short the Anatta doctrin. Your conviction not some may or may not be objective world.

Do you not agree?

Its funny how conversations can appear to be like games of chess.
    Everything is a game aMatt and everything is a test.

;)
  • aMattaMatt Veteran

;)
    Sounds exhausting. :)
  • Victorious, to begin I am not trying to refute anyone. Im not trying to convert anyone to my way of thought. I am simply trying to understand a different view point that seems impossible to understand, keyword: seems.So if you see this as a chess game let me tell you your opponent isnt trying to win.

I cant comment on your analogy because I really dont understand how it applies to the talk of reality. What I am saying is, you wake up in the hospital and you look down and you see no legs...reality. I dont see how the Doctor matters in this conversation.

So where I think we are stuck is in the idea of experiential truth. To me experiential truth does not equal reality. To me there is a difference between sitting on a chair and being on your feet and sitting on a chair in your mind. To me those are not equivalent. Do you see those as equivalent ?

thats what Im trying to get at, getting your arm cut off in your mind is not equivalent to getting your arm cutoff for realz. So how could someone experience rebirth without having died unless it is in your mind which is not equivalent to reality. To experience death, you must die.
    I think that sometimes, some Buddhists tend to get wrapped up in abstractness for the sake of abstractness, and lose sight of what's real.
    Victorious, to begin I am not trying to refute anyone. Im not trying to convert anyone to my way of thought. I am simply trying to understand a different view point that seems impossible to understand, keyword: seems.So if you see this as a chess game let me tell you your opponent isnt trying to win.
    My motivation is the same... I think it is totally facinating that there are people that does not need the traditional Samsara/Rebirht/Karma kind of motivation to cultivate. I find it unreal and absurd! That is why I am trying to come to grips with it. That is why I implore and investigate and question further. :).

I cant comment on your analogy because I really dont understand how it applies to the talk of reality. What I am saying is, you wake up in the hospital and you look down and you see no legs...reality. I dont see how the Doctor matters in this conversation.
    It has nothing to do with the doctor.

So where I think we are stuck is in the idea of experiential truth. To me experiential truth does not equal reality. To me there is a difference between sitting on a chair and being on your feet and sitting on a chair in your mind. To me those are not equivalent. Do you see those as equivalent ?
    No. But I was trying to see if we could agree on why we do not se them as equivalent. The reasoning behind our conclusion so to speak.

thats what Im trying to get at, getting your arm cut off in your mind is not equivalent to getting your arm cutoff for realz. So how could someone experience rebirth without having died unless it is in your mind which is not equivalent to reality. To experience death, you must die.
    The saying goes. "The world is born in the six, exists in the six and dies in the six". What is the sixth sense Ric?

Do you think a memory from yesterday is real? How about a memory from your childhood? Or from a previous life?

That was what I was getting at.

;)
    Sounds exhausting. :)
    Now you see why I long for Nibbana!

:D
  • ...in your argument you seem to say there is an objective truth that can be experiensed subjectivley?
    Victorious, you're getting your relative and absolute truths mixed up. This whole thread is about the objective truth of reincarnation, which is a relative matter.
    ...in your argument you seem to say there is an objective truth that can be experiensed subjectivley?
    Victorious, you're getting your relative and absolute truths mixed up. This whole thread is about the objective truth of reincarnation, which is a relative matter.
    Explain please!

• So we finally get somewhere. You experience the reality of rebirth through memories of past lives. I guess this is where the breakdown occurs. Memories of the past are for from the objective truth but just a subjective interpretation of what happened, so even though I might remember something very vividly I know that I could be adding/removing things that really happened.

But why do I think that my memory from childhood refers to a reality that did happen....simply because it is part of the physical world we can observe, quantify and explain to some degree. I think its fairly obvious that it did happen in the most basic sense, I would think you would agree, right? Its not a complete and accurate picture but it is a representation of a real event. Remembering I got my arm cutoff is not the same as getting my arm cutoff but it references a real event.

So when you move beyond the physical how do you draw the line on what is beyond physical and what is imaginary ? If someone hears the Devil telling them to kill ppl, should we accept that there is a Devil and he tricked the murderer ? or should we just accept the positive "visions"? If I have a vision of a past life of mine, I will take it as fantasy, imagination. We do see some proof of this fantasy with people who predict the future, they can never do it.

• fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited April 2011
    Explain please!
    Sorry, misread you.
    So we finally get somewhere. You experience the reality of rebirth through memories of past lives. I guess this is where the breakdown occurs.
    What breakdown would that be? I have had memories of past lives whose detail I could confirm in this life. There are a lot of people that have had that.
    Things I could never have known.

I have interacted with the recently dead. Giving me information that could not have been falsiefied.

I have heard testimonial from atheists that do not belive in rebirth about past life memories.

So no there is no breakdown for me. There is rebirth for me there is no debate. But I understand that others can be doubtful.

Memories of the past are for from the objective truth but just a subjective interpretation of what happened, so even though I might remember something very vividly I know that I could be adding/removing things that really happened.

But why do I think that my memory from childhood refers to a reality that did happen....simply because it is part of the physical world we can observe, quantify and explain to some degree. I think its fairly obvious that it did happen in the most basic sense, I would think you would agree, right? Its not a complete and accurate picture but it is a representation of a real event. Remembering I got my arm cutoff is not the same as getting my arm cutoff but it references a real event.

So when you move beyond the physical how do you draw the line on what is beyond physical and what is imaginary ? If someone hears the Devil telling them to kill ppl, should we accept that there is a Devil and he tricked the murderer ? or should we just accept the positive "visions"? If I have a vision of a past life of mine, I will take it as fantasy, imagination. We do see some proof of this fantasy with people who predict the future, they can never do it.

There you have it. You still speak about objective thruth without defining it. What is it exactly?

Again I ask you what you mean by reality. From your argument above it seems like you are saying the exact thing I pointed out. You think that is true that which you believe is true.

Just because you have a memory from a past life that is as vivid or real in detail as a one from this one you still rule it out because you have decided that it can not be real. So your mind is baiased and you do not even know it and you have never pondered why.

You speak about objective truth but you have never given a touhgt to what that might be? Still in your mind you think there is such a thing in the world when buddhism says exactly the opposite about the world.

Given this prejudice on your part you will in fact never be open to see that there can be past lifes. Why? because you have decided beforehand there can be none.

Again let me give you an example. Take this qoute:

"But why do I think that my memory from childhood refers to a reality that did happen....simply because it is part of the physical world we can observe, quantify and explain to some degree"

What you avoid to see is that Buddhism gives the same credence to the sixth sense your mind as it does to the other senses.

It is as real in creating the "real" world as is your sight or hearing. What you see you will believe but that which your mind remembers you will not? Where is the logic in that?

• Speculating about rebirth is like speculating about karma - its unconjecturable.

"My" teachers from two different traditions have told me not to become intimidated by what other people say in general ... but to just keep practising !

:buck:

:thumbsup:
  • The breakdown I was referring was where we part ways in thinking. Although you do not see any logic in it, I do believe in what I see and I know that the mind can play tricks. You keep referring to the sixth sense and ill be honest, I have no idea what you are talking about but im pretty sure you're not talking about the movie. At least I hope ur not.

So I really have nothing else to say but I will go look into the sixth sense and try to understand what you are talking about.

o...and Ive never had any visions or memories of past lives...

• o...and Ive never had any visions or memories of past lives...
    In general, it is a lack of experience of the "other side" that gives a person space for doubt. After deeply lucid and visceral experiences of such things, that which was in doubt previously, suddenly becomes an aspect of ones clarity.

...I have had memories of past lives whose detail I could confirm in this life. There are a lot of people that have had that.
    Things I could never have known.

I have interacted with the recently dead. Giving me information that could not have been falsiefied.

I have heard testimonial from atheists that do not belive in rebirth about past life memories.

So no there is no breakdown for me. There is rebirth for me there is no debate. But I understand that others can be doubtful.

First, I will not express any doubt that you have memories of past lives. I am open-minded, particularly because I have had experiences (though not my own memories) that seem to be connected to my past lives (actually, I should only say one past life).

But, when my father passed over, I also had an experience related to angels...not me personally, but he did. And, there are plenty of others who have related such experiences.

So I guess a question comes down -- are only the "mystical" (for wont of a better word) experiences of Buddhists to be believed? Or can we equally believe in the experiences Christians relate?

• So I guess a question comes down -- are only the "mystical" (for wont of a better word) experiences of Buddhists to be believed? Or can we equally believe in the experiences Christians relate?
    It's all game for consideration. We should keep our minds open to these phenomena no matter what tradition (or no tradition) the speaker follows. "Angels" could mean beings in the bardo state. Could mean spirits of deceased relatives. Did your father describe these otherworldly apparitions?

In general, it is a lack of experience of the "other side" that gives a person space for doubt. After deeply lucid and visceral experiences of such things, that which was in doubt previously, suddenly becomes an aspect of ones clarity.
    That about sums it up sometimes doesn't it.

• So I guess a question comes down -- are only the "mystical" (for wont of a better word) experiences of Buddhists to be believed? Or can we equally believe in the experiences Christians relate?

Great point but I think the more interesting question is, are we to only believe in what we see as positive experiences or include the bad? If someone tells us their long departed relative came back and said "Kill Mr. Roberts, because he was the one who murdered me" is that as valid as a benign message ? or is it fake because we just cant accept that someone would be dead and still looking for revenge.

There are personal experiences that include fairies, inter-dimensional bigfoot, aliens, shadow people, ghosts, leprechauns, angels, demons....

Are these all on par? or is inter-dimensional bigfoot too far out ? (Im not being disrespectful here but there are ppl who believe in inter-dimensional bigfoot).

That about sums it up sometimes doesn't it.
    Indeed. I wouldn't have a very committed belief in re-birth without direct experience/insight/vision of the fact.
    So I guess a question comes down -- are only the "mystical" (for wont of a better word) experiences of Buddhists to be believed? Or can we equally believe in the experiences Christians relate?
    It's all game for consideration. We should keep our minds open to these phenomena no matter what tradition (or no tradition) the speaker follows. "Angels" could mean beings in the bardo state. Could mean spirits of deceased relatives. Did your father describe these otherworldly apparitions?
    Here's what happened in as short a way as I can tell it. It was clear Dad was nearing the end, so I went up home to visit him in the VA hospital. The doctors said it could be a few days or 2-3 weeks, a month at most. So I stayed about 5 days, visiting him for hours, daily. On Sunday I had to head home -- a 7 hour drive -- and I planned to leave the hospital at noon. When I got there he was extremely agitated, and said, "Where the hell are they? They've been here since dawn." I asked him who. "The airmen. They've been here for hours. They said won't take me until you arrive home" (he was career Air Force). He kept telling me that I needed to leave right away so that they could take him when I arrived home (why that was important, I don't know). He kept getting more and more agitated, constantly talking about "the airmen", so finally I agreed to leave...at 11 instead of noon. I arrived home at exactly 6:00. At 6:10 the phone rang...the hospital telling me my Dad had passed. I asked them if they could tell me the exact time of death. It took a while -- finally the word came back -- 6:01.
  • I remember this story from another thread. :) So the "angels" weren't exactly angels, but the spirits of his departed buddies, it sounds like, who had come to accompany him to "the other side", as Vajraheart put it. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Great point but I think the more interesting question is, are we to only believe in what we see as positive experiences or include the bad? If someone tells us their long departed relative came back and said "Kill Mr. Roberts, because he was the one who murdered me" is that as valid as a benign message ? or is it fake because we just cant accept that someone would be dead and still looking for revenge.

There are personal experiences that include fairies, inter-dimensional bigfoot, aliens, shadow people, ghosts, leprechauns, angels, demons....

Are these all on par? or is inter-dimensional bigfoot too far out ? (Im not being disrespectful here but there are ppl who believe in inter-dimensional bigfoot).
    I've seen that inter-dimensional big foot!! He appeared under my bed when I was 5 and tried to grab at my foot before he "poofed" back into his home dimension!

Just kidding...

Really though... Buddhism also supports negative experiences of "the other side." Indeed a mind stream that dies holding onto lots of rage or hate can indeed do what you just sited as an example. There are hungry ghosts and demonic realms as well according to various versions of Buddhism.

• edited April 2011
    But isn't it unusual to hold onto so much rage/hate that someone would send a message saying "Kill Mr. Roberts, because he was the one who murdered me"? I've heard of spirits of the deceased indicating who a murderer was, but only to identify him/her (to solve a mystery), not to seek revenge. Usually, after dwelling in the Light, negative feelings dissipate. Maybe some don't make it to the Light right away, and clinging to afflictive emotions, get stuck en route somewhere...
  • Maybe some don't make it to the Light right away, and clinging to afflictive emotions, get stuck en route somewhere...
    That's exactly what happens my friend. There are endless "somewheres" to get stuck in as well. The cosmos is a mighty large place, even on a physical dimension. It's much larger when one considers a multi-dimensional universe.
  • edited April 2011
    It's much larger when one considers a multi-dimensional universe.
    :)

:bowdown:
  • hehe, dont loose your head(s) now... they can be resolved into oneness as i have come to know. in spite of seemingly incompatible energies... The higher dimensions of love are expansive enough to allow all kinds of enrgies to pass through you at once without that disorientated feeling that can sometimes occur while exploring the lower realms..

deep bows
    Maitri
  • edited April 2011
    image:lol:
  • edited April 2011
    Maybe some don't make it to the Light right away, and clinging to afflictive emotions, get stuck en route somewhere...
    That's exactly what happens my friend. There are endless "somewheres" to get stuck in as well. The cosmos is a mighty large place, even on a physical dimension. It's much larger when one considers a multi-dimensional universe.

Too true, friends....just like those push-button, sliding-door public toilets when they get stuck. A veritable Hell Realm "somewhere" in the high street multi dimensional cosmos !

:eek2:
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited April 2011
    I have had memories of past lives whose detail I could confirm in this life.

I have interacted with the recently dead.
    I have also interacted with the dead

:zombie:
    Heedfulness is the path to the Deathless. Heedlessness is the path to death. The heedful die not. The heedless are as if dead already
    edited April 2011
    Just because you have a memory from a past life...
    The term the Buddha used, pubbenivāsaṃ, does not mean "life" or "jiva". It means "dwelling" or "abode (abiding)"

Even the reincarnation adherent Achariya Buddhaghosa, in his Vissudhimagga, understood "pubbenivāsaṃ" to mean "becoming". "Becoming" is an "asava" in Buddhism, that is, a mental fabrication, just as the other asava, namely, sensual desire and ignorance are "asava".

Many nights, in sleep, our minds dream. These dreams are mere mental imaginings, mental pictures or mental movies. They are mere mental fabrications.

The Buddha taught all mental objects are simply mental fabrications, which are not to be regarded as "I", "me" or "mine"

All the best

:)
    "Monks, any priests or contemplatives who recollect their manifold past dwellings (pubbenivāsaṃ) all recollect the five clinging-aggregates, or one among them.

Which five?

When recollecting, 'I was one with such a form in the past,' one is recollecting just form.

Or when recollecting, 'I was one with such a feeling in the past,' one is recollecting just feeling.

Or when recollecting, 'I was one with such a perception in the past,' one is recollecting just perception.

Or when recollecting, 'I was one with such mental fabrications in the past,' one is recollecting just mental fabrications.

Or when recollecting, 'I was one with such a consciousness in the past,' one is recollecting just consciousness.

"And why do you call them 'fabrications'? Because they fabricate fabricated things, thus they are called 'fabrications.' What do they fabricate as a fabricated thing? For the sake of form-ness, they fabricate form as a fabricated thing. For the sake of feeling-ness, they fabricate feeling as a fabricated thing. For the sake of perception-hood... For the sake of fabrication-hood... For the sake of consciousness-hood, they fabricate consciousness as a fabricated thing. Because they fabricate fabricated things, they are called fabrications

"Any fabrications whatsoever that is past, future, or present; internal or external; blatant or subtle; common or sublime; far or near: every fabrications is to be seen as it actually is with right discernment as: 'This is not mine. This is not my self. This is not what I am.'

"This, monks, is called a disciple of the noble ones who tears down and does not build up; who abandons and does not cling; who discards and does not pull in; who scatters and does not pile up.

"And what does he tear down and not build up? He tears down form and does not build it up. He tears down feeling... perception... fabrications... consciousness and does not build it up.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn22/sn22.079.than.html
    Nivāsa

Nivāsa [fr. nivasati2] stopping, dwelling, resting -- place, abode; living, sheltering J i.115 (˚ŋ kappeti to put up); ii.110; PvA 76, 78. Usually in phrase pubbe -- nivāsaŋ anussarati "to remember one's former abode or place of existence," characterising the faculty of remembering one's former birth D i.13, 15, 16, 81; S i.167, 175, 196; ii.122, 213; v.265, 305; A i.25, 164; ii.183; iii.323, 418 sq.; iv.141 sq.; v.211, 339. Also in pubbenivāsaŋ vedi It 100; Sn 647=Dh 423; p -- n -- paṭisaŋyuttā dhammikathā D ii.1; p -- n -- anussatiñāṇa D iii.110, 220, 275; A iv.177. Cp. nevāsika.

http://dsal.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin/philologic/contextualize.pl?p.2.pali.234200

Nivesa [Vedic niveśa, fr. ni+viś] 1. entering, stopping, settling down; house, abode Vv 82 (=nivesanāni kacchantarāni VvA 50). -- 2.=nivesana 2, in diṭṭhi˚ Sn 785 (=idaŋ -- sacchâbhinivesa -- sankhātāni diṭṭhi -- nivesanāni SnA 522).

Nivesana

Nivesana (nt.) [Vedic niveśana, fr. nivesati, cp. niviṭṭha] 1. entering, entrance, settling; settlement, abode, house, home D i.205, 226; ii.127; J i.294; ii.160 (˚ṭṭhāna); PvA 22, 81, 112. -- 2. (fig.) (also nivesanā f.: Nd2 366) settling on, attachment, clinging to (in diṭṭhi˚ clinging to a view=dogmatism cp. nivissa -- vādin) Sn 1055 (nandi+; =taṇhā Nd2 366); Dh 40 (diṭṭhi˚); Nd1 76, 110. See also nivesa

http://dsal.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin/philologic/contextualize.pl?p.2.pali.241205
    edited April 2011
    How about a memory from your childhood?
    The Buddha himself took a keen interest in childhood fabrications, as follows:

:coffee:
    Any desire, passion, delight, or craving for fabrications, Radha: when one is caught up there, tied up there, one is said to be 'a being.'

Just as when boys or girls are playing with little sand castles: as long as they are not free from passion, desire, love, thirst, fever & craving for those little sand castles, that's how long they have fun with those sand castles, enjoy them, treasure them, feel possessive of them.

But when they become free from passion, desire, love, thirst, fever & craving for those little sand castles, then they smash them, scatter them, demolish them with their hands or feet and make them unfit for play.

In the same way, Radha, you too should smash, scatter, & demolish fabrications, and make it unfit for play. Practice for the ending of craving for fabrications.

For the ending of craving, Radha, is Unbinding, Nibbana.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn23/sn23.002.than.html
    edited April 2011
    My base inspiration is to escape rebirth. When I was 3 years old our neighour passed away and I was really frightened of death until my grandmother taught me about rebirth. At the time I felt relieved. But then I got to thinking that I would die and die again endlessly too. Later on (about 7 or 8)it dawned on me that death was not the worst of it because the majority of Samsara is suffering. At 11 I decided to start cultivating for real. And later on in life I had experiences that made me understand the what my grandmother said about rebirth was most probably true. That really scared me.
    It is difficult to escape something if we believe so strongly in it.

For example, if we wish to escape hate, we believe in love. If we wish to escape drug addiction, we believe in the harm of drugs. If we wish to escape death, we believe in the Deathless, that is, egoless nature.

But to wish to escape rebirth & spend our time talking about it, reinforcing the idea in our mind, makes no sense at all, to me.

If we have the inspiration is to escape "rebirth", then the mind needs to regard all things as empty.

Whenever the mind believes: "I was this in my past life", then there is no escape from becoming.

:-/
    edited April 2011
    Later on (about 7 or 8)it dawned on me that death was not the worst of it because the majority of Samsara is suffering. At 11 I decided to start cultivating for real.
    Hi Victorious

What are you saying here? What do you exactly start to cultivate?

Like, did you become a monk? Like, Prince Siddharta? Like, did you abandon all worldliness?

:confused:
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    I don't appreciate the use of the term "rebirth fundamentalism". That, too, strikes me as pompous and rude.

It's possible there are fundamentalists on both sides of the debate.

P
  • edited April 2011
    I don't appreciate the use of the term "rebirth fundamentalism". That, too, strikes me as pompous and rude.

It's possible there are fundamentalists on both sides of the debate.

P
    Breathe guys,..... relaaaaax,... flippy floppy floo floo !

;)
  • Firstly, I would like to apologize for maybe not having enough time to answer all posts here.
    I had got back to my tread and have seen plenty new posts.
    I will start from the beginning and try to answer as many as I can for now.
    I will read the rest in the future.

Please note, I am full of gratitude to people who took their time and contributed.

Namasti.
  • Hey guys,
    Im really interested in your responses. From your personal, mind experience you have opened up other realms and so forth. So do you accept bigfoot as a reality? People swear they seen him. Alien abductions, is it a fact? hundreds of thousands of people claim to have been abducted. Even Sammy Hagar came out recently saying he was abducted. I could go on with fortune tellers...remote viewers...

What if you have a vision of rebirth and then I have a vision showing me rebirth is a myth. Who is right?

• I find this quite *amusing* that so many Buddhists think and need a concept of reincarnation.

Careful there.

-----------------

Tess - Look inside yourself, imagine ceasing to exist, to percieve, to be concious.

There is no way we can prove rebirth, or the cycle of samsara, but to investigate for ourselves. Some monks have meditated and seen their past lives, and have had realisations on the matter. But who/what is to say that is the truth. We must investiate for ourselves - as the buddha told us to.

Yes, I can imagine: ‘’imagine ceasing to exist, to percieve, to be concious.’’

It is scary but am I prepared to accept some dogmas to anesthetize my fear – NO.

• What is non-self?

And if it ends with physical death then why bother being a buddhist?

/Puzzeled

Many reasons some of them were very well - verbalized by posts below.
  • buddhism is about ending suffering.

the trick is to deny and assert.

thus playing the middle way role of just being. neither for or against.

I envy all of you who have managed to stop categorizing and judging all the information available to humanity in the 21 century.

• Many Buddhist need a concept of reincarnation? Need it for what? For comfort? :)

You can't change your DNA, but you can change your karma. :)

Metta,
    Sabre

Looking forward to watch your video.

To your first Q - YES

To the second it is more complicated.

You can’t change your DNA at birth. However, we can change the influence of the outside world on your DNA during the life span.

Secondly, yes we are stuck with our DNA and have very little influence on our environment. However, it is up to us how our children will carry combine DNA / father, mother/ . We have a power to try to make milieu /around our offsprings) more advantageous.

• What is non-self?

And if it ends with physical death then why bother being a buddhist?

/Puzzeled

Hmmmm. Since this thread is specifically about reincarnation, your answer sounds as if you are saying that your ONLY purpose in following Buddhist principles is to support your reincarnation?

:clap:
  • Maybe for some it is comforting. However, there have been moments when I think of reincarnation and it scares me because I think "No not again, Not again!" Like that scene in neverending story when the boys are gonna throw him back in the dumpster..
    I tottaly agree.

• Reincarnation as I originally understood it, IMHO is mumbo-jumbo superstition. However, energy is never lost or gained......it is transferred. When we die, our energy is transferred and some of that will ultimately lead to life of another kind.

I think karma is similar.... ill intentions result in negative behaviour and lead to a circle of suffering; good intention will result in the opposite.

Making the link between karma and reincarnation is somewhat more problematic for me !
    You have raised here very important point.

However, am I right to detect that the energy you are talking about have a moral /human/ moral spine?

This discussion has been closed.