Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Life without sorrow

Dukkha is central to Buddhist thought - all life is suffering. That was the Buddha's observation. But he made this observation a long time ago, a time when people didn't have comforts, proper medicine, etc. But as the world develops technologically, shouldn't these 'dukkha inducing' problems become irrelevant? Imagine a Star Trek kind of future - no poverty, wars, etc. Then wouldn't Buddhism be proven wrong?

Just food for thought.

Comments

• No in Buddhism the life of a Brahma-god is dukkha; not ultimately and finally satisfactory.
    Why? The life of such a god (in Buddhist thought) is very, very, long, but not eternal. It ends.
    All phenomena have the three characteristics of being impermanent, not-ultimately-satisfactory, and not-self.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_marks_of_existence
    lobsterriverflow
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    I once heard a monk take a swing at dukkha/suffering: "Suffering," he suggested, "is just the resistance to pain."
  • riverflowriverflow Veteran
    edited November 2013
    betaboy said:

...comforts, proper medicine, etc. But as the world develops technologically, shouldn't these 'dukkha inducing' problems become irrelevant?

Dukkha isn't induced by a lack of material goods but by the desire to cling to satisfaction derived from them-- which is an exercise in futility.
    lobsterInvincible_summercvalueGlow
  • riverflow said:

betaboy said:

...comforts, proper medicine, etc. But as the world develops technologically, shouldn't these 'dukkha inducing' problems become irrelevant?

Dukkha isn't induced by a lack of material goods but by the desire to cling to satisfaction derived from them-- which is an exercise in futility.
    *BOOM!* button needed... again!
    vinlynriverflow
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    betaboy said:

But as the world develops technologically, shouldn't these 'dukkha inducing' problems become irrelevant?

I have an idea that discontent is increased by technological advancement. Am I am a closet luddite? ;)
    riverflow
  • betaboy said:

Then wouldn't Buddhism be proven wrong?

No, I don't believe so. Attachment is a cause of suffering and there will always be attachment of some kind.

Practice helps to alleviate the suffering induced by turning Buddhism into a philosophical tinker toy. Imagining that Buddhism rests its case in logic -- could be proven right or proven wrong -- is a recipe for disappointment ... or anyway that's my guess.
    riverflow
  • Even if one could fulfill all their material desires we are still personal beings who are dependent upon relationships with others. All sorts of stress and suffering come about because others don't or can't fulfill our expectations or desires, and aside from any Brave New World drug society if you passionately love someone and they don't feel the same about you can you make them love you to fulfill your desire? You may think so and be happy for a while, but the other is going to be miserable.
    riverflow
  • betaboy said:

Dukkha is central to Buddhist thought - all life is suffering. That was the Buddha's observation. But he made this observation a long time ago, a time when people didn't have comforts, proper medicine, etc. But as the world develops technologically, shouldn't these 'dukkha inducing' problems become irrelevant? Imagine a Star Trek kind of future - no poverty, wars, etc. Then wouldn't Buddhism be proven wrong?

Just food for thought.

The people of Star Trek didn't seem to be particularly happy to me.

Invincible_summer
  • Cinorjer said:

betaboy said:

Just food for thought.

No, I just gave an example. My point is, if we have a society like that sooner or later wouldn't technology itself find a cure for dukkha? I recall in star trek cancer and most of today's incurable diseases is a thing of the past - couldn't such a society easily invent a pill or some hi-tech device to eliminate dukkha as well?
  • Enlightenment: The final frontier

These are the voyages of the Starship, NewBuddhist Enterprise
    It's long suffering mission
    To explore strange new whirls
    To seek out new Sangha and new Dharma
    To Buddhaly go where Nothing has gone before . . .

BhikkhuJayasaraInvincible_summerbetaboyJainarayan
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    any pill created to eliminate dukkha would no doubt create the zombie apocalypse.
    EvenThirdInvincible_summer
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    edited November 2013
    betaboy said:

Cinorjer said:

betaboy said:

Just food for thought.

No, I just gave an example. My point is, if we have a society like that sooner or later wouldn't technology itself find a cure for dukkha? I recall in star trek cancer and most of today's incurable diseases is a thing of the past - couldn't such a society easily invent a pill or some hi-tech device to eliminate dukkha as well?
    I suppose anything is possible. Jesus might come back next week and take all the souls of those who believe in him up to heaven while the rest of us fry in hell (or whatever is meant to happen).
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    betaboy said:

My point is, if we have a society like that sooner or later wouldn't technology itself find a cure for dukkha? I recall in star trek cancer and most of today's incurable diseases is a thing of the past - couldn't such a society easily invent a pill or some hi-tech device to eliminate dukkha as well?

A pill to ensure that humankind acts wisely (according to the Dhamma) when faced with expectations, judgments, prejudices, desires (both material and immaterial)...
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

Without suffering, would there
    be a cause for
    us to
    be
    ?

EvenThird
  • misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran
    edited November 2013
    my thinking says: life without sorrow is not possible - because we cannot control our lives completely - we cannot control even our body and mind totally, so how we control anything else.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited November 2013
    @misecmisc1
    Thinking there is something to control is suffering.

IMO ...Sufferings cessation is about
    transcendence, not acquisition.

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Gentle Man Veteran
    edited November 2013
    Life without sorrow is a perfectly skillfully led life. A skillfully led life is one of our goals, though it seems somewhat impractical on the surface.

That is IMO, as is the idea that sorrow is regret at things done wrongly or not at all.
  • betaboy said:

My point is, if we have a society like that sooner or later wouldn't technology itself find a cure for dukkha? I recall in star trek cancer and most of today's incurable diseases is a thing of the past - couldn't such a society easily invent a pill or some hi-tech device to eliminate dukkha as well?

The desire to "eliminate" dukkha IS dukkha. The desire to "eliminate" dukkha is what perpetuates dukkha. It doesn't matter what anyone decides to turn to in order to eliminate it: wealth, pleasure, fame, sex, drugs, or even a perfect utopia, however conceived. These are all "external" things upon which someone relies on passively.

While the Stoic method is very different from Buddhism, they agree on this point: It isn't what happens to you, but how you approach what happens to you which is important. It's the same old mistake we repeat thinking "Oh if things were only like that instead of this" depending on circumstance to magically solve dukkha.

Rather, it is up to oneself to learn how to participate in life fully-- passively accepting some kind of panacea won't eliminate dukkha. That's why the Buddha said one should be a lamp unto oneself-- the "answer" isn't "out there somewhere." Technology, like all things, has its pros and its cons. But there are no technological solutions to metaphysical problems. That is up to oneself to discover. Or not.
    lobster
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    Jayantha said:

any pill created to eliminate dukkha would no doubt create the zombie apocalypse.

But without craving the zombies wouldn't have a desire to eat brains, so they'd be quite harmless. :D
    riverflow
  • zenmystezenmyste Veteran
    edited November 2013
    Buddhism is about mental suffering!

Therefore, all mental suffering arises from the mind!
    So, if and when the time comes where there is no wars and everything is at peace, that doesnt mean your mind will be at peace.

You could have all the money, food and peace in the world but still suffer...

So i guess the buddhist practice will always be helpful, even in our star trek future!
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited November 2013
    betaboy said:

Cinorjer said:

betaboy said:

Just food for thought.

Ah, I see what you mean. I've consumed science fiction all my life and read many compelling stories around the "what if" of a future utopia. And it would have to be a utopia, where all wants and needs are met.

And in every one, there are only two possible outcomes. Either people's minds are swimming in drugs that keep them on a permanent state of happiness and bliss no matter what terrible things happen around them, or people discover this so-called utopia is a trap and their humanity struggles to escape from their dull lives.

See, it isn't just suffering is caused by desires and so if we meet the desires, suffering disappears. It's that our minds have conflicting desires. We want stability and comfort but also need adventure and excitement. Give someone all the stability they desire in their life and they screw it up due to their desire for excitement and something new. That's why people get married and then have affairs. Two conflicting desires. And that's only the tip of the iceberg. People are, quite frankly, designed to not be satisfied with what they have no matter what it is. Fame and fortune? Get fame and then be miserable because you don't have privacy. And so on. So how do we completely fulfill both conflicting desires at the same time? We cannot.
    edited November 2013
    Hey guys! Let's all get together and be depressed! How about that for a new and totally-up-to-date Buddhism?! Depressed-but-compassionate dontcha know.

Of course in any such school, my depression would outstrip yours by a mile... sort of an enlightened depression. Someone's gotta lead the parade and it might as well be me. :)
    Chaz
  • MaryAnneMaryAnne Veteran
    edited November 2013
    I think we have a few here already leading the Debbie Downer parade while clutching their pearls, @genkaku ....
    I prefer to forgo this parade and look to the Joy in life, myself. :D
    vinlynJainarayan
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran

Jayantha said:

But without craving the zombies wouldn't have a desire to eat brains, so they'd be quite harmless. :D
    Now we come to an interesting debate. Tanha(craving) as far as i know is a volitional action, if it were not then we could not change ourselves.

So that being said is a zombie really experiencing tanha or is it a base instinctual thing? I suppose it may depend on the type of zombie, between the reanimated dead type of the still alive raging virus type.

And since we're already far off on a tangent, is killing zombies a break of the non harming precept? Is the zombie a "sentient being"? I suppose if the zombie apoc happened i would give metta as i was dispatching them lol. Interesting debates.
  • ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran
    betaboy said:

My point is, if we have a society like that sooner or later wouldn't technology itself find a cure for dukkha?

No. Not really. Dukkha is caused by clinging by our individual perceptions of what is real. Technology can't address that, unless a pre-frontal lobotomy is your idea of a cure.
    I recall in star trek cancer and most of today's incurable diseases is a thing of the past -
    Only to be replaced by other nasty/incurable diseases.

There are diseases today that a scant century ago were killing or crippling people all over the world. We don't give them a second thought, today. How many people have you heard of, lately, getting Polio, or Smallpox, or dying from the flu?
    couldn't such a society easily invent a pill or some hi-tech device to eliminate dukkha as well?
    That would be nice, but then all of us Tibetan Buddhists wouldn't have anything to do with all the fancy-schmancy practice doo-dads we've collected over the years. Seriously, if all I had to do was drop a tab, and POOF, dukkha ceases, WTF am I supposed to do with the Damaru in my practice room?

:eek:
    Seriously, if all I had to do was drop a tab, and POOF, dukkha ceases, WTF am I supposed to do with the Damaru in my practice room?
    @Chaz -- Relax! Everything -- and I mean everything -- comes back into fashion if you wait long enough. And by that time it's "brand new." How about them apples?

PS. My father proved the point: In the back of a walk-in closet, he had a collection of what seemed to be hundreds of neckties saved up over the years. Some were narrow, some medium-wide and some wide. He was, as you may imagine, always in fashion.
    Chaz
  • ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran
    genkaku said:

Seriously, if all I had to do was drop a tab, and POOF, dukkha ceases, WTF am I supposed to do with the Damaru in my practice room?
    @Chaz -- Relax! Everything -- and I mean everything -- comes back into fashion if you wait long enough. And by that time it's "brand new." How about them apples?

PS. My father proved the point: In the back of a walk-in closet, he had a collection of what seemed to be hundreds of neckties saved up over the years. Some were narrow, some medium-wide and some wide. He was, as you may imagine, always in fashion.

Whew! There's a relief! I was starting to suffer due to anxiety over what to do with my Damaru, post-dukkha.

It's so true, I'm sure that sometime after science cures dukkha, that another use will be found for Damarus especially those skull-bone Damarus that Chod practitioners use. Fashion - could that be a new practice to bring about the cessation of suffering from having a house full of useless crap? But wait ..... technology already has a cure - dynamite! And weather - as people in Illinoise learned last Sunday.
  • betaboy said:

imagine a Star Trek kind of future - no poverty, wars, etc. Then wouldn't Buddhism be proven wrong?
    Just food for thought.

As others pointed out, material suffering is only the tip of the iceberg. Psychological suffering, such lack of the sense of belonging, not fulfilling one's ambitions or not finding meaning, can be just as intense. Technological progress does little to help with that. If anything, in the absence of physical challenges, our minds seem to get even more twisted and complicated.

Sure, they could invent some kind of drug or genetically modify people to create a state of eternal bliss or contentment. But if and when that happens, we'll be humans no more. Buddha talked about humans.

(Huxley's book "Brave New World" explores just such a possibility. Highly recommend it).

Chazriverflow
  • Jayantha said:

Nah, it's gonna be a mutated rabies virus. :lol:
    BhikkhuJayasara
  • JainarayanJainarayan Veteran
    edited November 2013
    MaryAnne said:

I think we have a few here already leading the Debbie Downer parade while clutching their pearls, @genkaku ....
    I prefer to forgo this parade and look to the Joy in life, myself. :D

Exactly, even in spite of my whining about my back injuries, I agree. I have a hell of a lot to be thankful for. Here's someone who could have easily given up:

When I almost cried because I couldn't lift a 1 lb dumbell after shoulder surgery, and I used to do side raises with 35 lb dumbells, I thought of this guy. He lost his arms after being electrocuted working on electrical lines.
    MaryAnneriverflowcvalueZero
  • Sickness old age and death will come for all of us along with ignorance, craving, and irritation.
  • Jayantha said:

Jayantha said:

Now we come to an interesting debate. Tanha(craving) as far as i know is a volitional action, if it were not then we could not change ourselves.

So that being said is a zombie really experiencing tanha or is it a base instinctual thing? I suppose it may depend on the type of zombie, between the reanimated dead type of the still alive raging virus type.

And since we're already far off on a tangent, is killing zombies a break of the non harming precept? Is the zombie a "sentient being"? I suppose if the zombie apoc happened i would give metta as i was dispatching them lol. Interesting debates.
    Tanha occurs because there are wrong views. I think we need to uproot wrong view and tanha will go away. It is like realizing that the apple you are eating is rotten and you stop eating.
    riverflow
  • riverflowriverflow Veteran
    edited November 2013
    Relevant:

http://buddhism.about.com/b/2013/11/19/more-goalless-goals.htm

"Medicine and sickness subdue each other. The whole earth is medicine. Where do you find yourself?"